Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

In addition to EQ, LIC and GST are also great shops. not sure exactly where they are in relation to you though.

LIC is ~30 miles from EQ, GST ~40 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

DrChu posted:

A week ago I got a 2010 WRX and besides trying to adapt to the clutch that is a lot less forgiving than the one in my Mazda 3, its been great. One thing that bothers me though is the loudness of the HVAC system. I don't think its the blower fan, because the noise starts from the lowest fan setting and seems to stay pretty constant through all settings. The noise itself is kind of a high pitched whining, like a computer fan, and its loud enough you can hear it over talk radio at highway speeds, but music will cover it up. Has anyone else with a newer Impreza experienced this?

YES YES YES WHAT IS THIS NOISE? It developed on my 2011 wrx after I took a trip down the grapevine, any info you have on it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to chase it down yet.

nm posted:

Jesus loving Christ why can't I find a competent and honest Subaru shop within 20 miles of Sacramento?
gently caress, I'm at the point where I'm resorting to the dealer.
All I want is a shop that realizes that I track may car, doesn't freak out that my car is modified, knows the poo poo out of a 2.5L turbo, and isn't a wanna-be tuner shop.
The nearest reputable shop is in loving Fairfield. What the hell?
(I'm partially ranting and partially looking for recommendations. And no, not DBtuned)

DBTuned is terrible, I can't urge you enough to not do business with them. The fresh complaint I filed against them with the Bureau of auto repair will be available for public viewing soon since it was resolved in my favor, still am taking him to court. Absolute crooks.
I just moved to Sac earlier this year and mechanics are pathetic out here, it's devoid of even basic shops that know what's going on. The Dealerships have hosed poo poo up on my cars repeatedly and I couldn't even get them to put the right tire on my car at the Les Schwab in Roseville. I showed up in my subaru with 4 Dunlop Direzza Star spec Z1's and they gave me the car back with one Z101 and Three Z1's, they tried to tell me the completely different tire was actually just a manufacturer's anomaly. :ughh:

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 18, 2010

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Picking up an 05 LGT wagon tomorrow. Going to pull the banjo bolt filter first thing.

Going to rebuild my RS as a dedicated rally slut.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Slow is Fast posted:

Picking up an 05 LGT wagon tomorrow. Going to pull the banjo bolt filter first thing.

Going to rebuild my RS as a dedicated rally slut.

Color me jealous. Would love to get my hands on an 05 LGT.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Amandyke posted:

Color me jealous. Would love to get my hands on an 05 LGT.

The thing is loaded. Limited AND cold weather package. I'm pumped.

As a friend said:

Dude: where the gently caress did you find this thing?
Dude: it's got all the options that someone who isn't quite all there would get
Dude: LSD
Dude: stick
Dude: wagon

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Dude: where the gently caress did you find this thing?
Dude: it's got all the options that someone who isn't quite all there would get
And that's basically why the LGT wagon is the most desired of all Subarus.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slow is Fast posted:

When I have kids I'm going to search high and low to find an LGT like yours. I imagine it would be a snow destroying monster wagon.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Ok, my exhaust is too loud for my tastes. All I know is that I have a turboback setup. What are my options in quieting it down? Is this something that a silencer or a new muffler can fix? Or am I going to have to buy a new setup?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What I'd start with doing in your case is identifying what kind of exhaust system you have on the car. Then you should sell the catback/axleback (depending on how much was replaced) and replace it with one that's quieter (later models of the Maddad Whisper, Borla Hush, stock WRX exhausts and many others).

Here's a handy diagram of the WRX exhaust system:

If you take a lot of pictures of the axleback we can probably figure out what brand it is.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'll try to get some photos later. All I know is that it has a catless dp that is a different brand than the catback. I would be surprised if it passes VA emissions testing. I'm already preparing myself to have to get a new setup either new or used.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

I'll try to get some photos later. All I know is that it has a catless dp that is a different brand than the catback. I would be surprised if it passes VA emissions testing. I'm already preparing myself to have to get a new setup either new or used.

I can tell you that the aftermarket downpipe (still catted) on mine made a HUGE difference in the volume of the exhaust. The Hush, while still rather quiet by aftermarket exhaust standards, is no longer as hushed as it was with the stock downpipe.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yep, I have 1 cat on the car and it's on the up. Going to guess that passing VA Emissions is going to be a long shot. Hoping someone from MAIC can hook me up with some stock WRX exhaust.

Here are photos of the unknown fartcan. I just wanna say it's really hard to get undercarriage shots of a lowered car. :argh:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Thanks for loving Subarus goons, I just got my first one today. 2011 Impreza 2.5i hatch with sport package and body-coloured mesh grill in dark metallic grey. I am totally in love with it.

The grill is easier to see in these pics

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!
Pic of my 08 WRX in winter mode: '02 WRX rims with Arctic Claw Txi Snow tires on it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Crossposting from nasioc, this just bums me out.

Driving along at 55mph on the highway, no one in front, no one behind, nothing above. There was an extremely loud BANG, like gunshot near my head loud, and the moonroof was gone. The inside cover was open, but very little glass was found in the car, and no rocks or bullet hols or anything like that. I pulled over and took pics and the edges were all bent up like it exploded upward, which is consistent with the lack of anything dropping down into the car. 2011 WRX with 2500 miles

Bonus pic of the 02 bugeye wheels with all seasons on, ready to make the mountain drive for christmas...

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap, what could have caused that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's weird.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Act of God. Insurance should cover ya :D

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

superdylan posted:

Crossposting from nasioc, this just bums me out.

Driving along at 55mph on the highway, no one in front, no one behind, nothing above. There was an extremely loud BANG, like gunshot near my head loud, and the moonroof was gone. The inside cover was open, but very little glass was found in the car, and no rocks or bullet hols or anything like that. I pulled over and took pics and the edges were all bent up like it exploded upward, which is consistent with the lack of anything dropping down into the car. 2011 WRX with 2500 miles.

Bonus pic of the 02 bugeye wheels with all seasons on, ready to make the mountain drive for christmas...

Why would you have it towed after a moonroof blowout?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

JayKay posted:

Yep, I have 1 cat on the car and it's on the up. Going to guess that passing VA Emissions is going to be a long shot. Hoping someone from MAIC can hook me up with some stock WRX exhaust.

Here are photos of the unknown fartcan. I just wanna say it's really hard to get undercarriage shots of a lowered car. :argh:

How do you know you have one cat? It's unlikely that you do, most turboback-installed cars have the uppipe done. I certainly would.

Does VA tailpipe test? In PA we just have an OBD check so my completely catless WRX is legal after a tune...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Blaise posted:

Act of God. Insurance should cover ya :D

What coverage do you have to get to cover those things?

Godzilla525
Sep 28, 2010

superdylan posted:

Holy poo poo...

I might just be posting out of my rear end, but I wonder if something like that could be caused if the glass is stressed due to some problem in the manufacturing process.

Had my dad take the car (2008 Impreza) in to the dealer regarding the gas smell (I was at work). They said there might be a leak at the fuel hose in the engine compartment or the injector seals could be bad. They tightened up a couple of clamps and otherwise didn't really do anything (or charge anything for looking at it). They probably know and don't want to get involved with messing around with the gas tank.

That doesn't explain how the fuel tank got covered with gasoline residue. Of course, I don't know what my dad discussed when he was there (He can be pretty stupid sometimes--my snow tires are going to end up conical because he told the tire place to have them put on the opposite sides with regards to what I told him).

Naturally the gas smell (and leak) is still there, and will remain as such until mid-spring when I can work on it without getting cold and wet. In the meantime I can work out ways to replace the rusty fuel pump module mounting studs if they break off. It smells most after a fillup (and for about 100mi on the tank afterwards) so it might just be the filler tube.

I keep looking under on the ground after I fill up for wet spots but then I quickly realize that's not going to work since there are diesel pumps and the crowd who uses those tend to be really sloppy. :)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Blaise posted:

How do you know you have one cat? It's unlikely that you do, most turboback-installed cars have the uppipe done. I certainly would.

Does VA tailpipe test? In PA we just have an OBD check so my completely catless WRX is legal after a tune...

The previous owner who did the exhaust said the only cat is on the up pipe. He removed the other 2 cats when he put the new down pipe in.

I don't think they tailpipe test anymore, however I doubt it'll pass the visual inspection.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Godzilla525 posted:

I might just be posting out of my rear end, but I wonder if something like that could be caused if the glass is stressed due to some problem in the manufacturing process.

This would be my guess. You know, defects in a crystal lattice or something. Or, more likely, something like the sunroof frame flexing or bending and putting strain on the glass.

Edit: I don't know why you would tow your car after this, though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

MetaJew posted:

This would be my guess. You know, defects in a crystal lattice or something. Or, more likely, something like the sunroof frame flexing or bending and putting strain on the glass.

Edit: I don't know why you would tow your car after this, though.

On the one hand I'd say keep driving it - but it IS shattered glass and pieces are still going to be falling down now that the structure has been compromised. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm not too inclined to drive when there's the potential for shards flying around my face

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm guessing the car is filled with glass, and the rest of it is slowly raining down into the car. Probably not fun to drive..

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Where are you from that you think driving a car with a blown-out sunroof through the mountains in December sounds at all pleasant?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Moruitelda posted:

Where are you from that you think driving a car with a blown-out sunroof through the mountains in December sounds at all pleasant?

I don't know about you, but the heater in my bugeye is fantastic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

In addition to EQ, LIC and GST are also great shops. not sure exactly where they are in relation to you though.
Eq, in fairfield, is like 40mi, and the closes.
LIC is in Novato, which is like 80mi.
GST is in hayward, whcih is like 90mi (though closer than Novato in drive time)
(All of these would be through reasonably lovely traffic -- EQ is ~1hr each way)
As you can see, I'm hosed.
I might have EQ do my 90k mi, but for anything more basis, 40 mi is pretty loving far.

They used to be the best in town, but the main guy left and everyone stopped going. I've heard shady stuff.

Bob Log posted:

DBTuned is terrible, I can't urge you enough to not do business with them. The fresh complaint I filed against them with the Bureau of auto repair will be available for public viewing soon since it was resolved in my favor, still am taking him to court. Absolute crooks.
Can't speak to them being crooks, but they don't know cars very well.
Unfortunately, he had done a drat fine job co-opting the internet. By sponsoring forums. Who delete critical material.

Seriously, this loving city. I miss my mechanic in Minneapolis.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

nm posted:

I miss my mechanic in Minneapolis.

Out of curiosity who was your mechanic here? I'm looking at trading my 08 Elantra for either an 08 Legacy Limited or 07 LGT, it would be nice to have a recommended wrench when the time comes.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

I might have EQ do my 90k mi, but for anything more basis, 40 mi is pretty loving far.

I could understand going to a shop to do the 90k maintenance, but everything in between is essentially an oil change and quick glance over to make sure your engine hasn't fallen out. Not something you want to do at home?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Moruitelda posted:

pffft
It's not cold, theres not even snow on the ground in those pictures.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

ssjonizuka posted:

On the one hand I'd say keep driving it - but it IS shattered glass and pieces are still going to be falling down now that the structure has been compromised. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm not too inclined to drive when there's the potential for shards flying around my face

Meh, just throw some ski googles on and have at it :q:

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
So a few months ago I wanted to get something to replace my 2000 Saab 9-3. I wanted something a little more reliable. I did'nt know how to drive stick and I had never driven an AWD car before. So after a little research I called up Carmax and made a few arrangements with my credit union...

This was the result.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

07 WRX TR (I'm gonna tint the windows and stick a new radio system in)

2 months or so later and I know how to drive stick, and I have to say: I loving LOVE this god drat car.

Side question: I shredded one of my tires on a loving huge roofing nail a few weeks back and had to all the tires. I was told that you cant replace just 2 tires on an AWD system because it would gently caress my transfer case or something. Is this true? Also I got some Nitto All Seasons stuck on there... Does Nitto make a decent tire or should I look into getting some extremecontact allseasons next time?

Anyway thanks you bastards for introducing me to this awesome car.

EDIT: edited for less table breakage

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Having differently sized tires is very bad for the AWD system, most specifically the differentials.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zap Branigan posted:

I was told that you cant replace just 2 tires on an AWD system because it would gently caress my transfer case or something. Is this true?
Yes, on AWD systems like Subaru's, you want all 4 tires spinning at the same rate in steady state.

quote:

Also I got some Nitto All Seasons stuck on there... Does Nitto make a decent tire or should I look into getting some extremecontact allseasons next time?

Well you already got it, so ride them out. By the time they need replacing, there're probably be a new ecosystem of tire models that will need consideration.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Zap Branigan posted:

Nice WRX

Nice car! It is true that you have to do all 4 tires. The clutches in the center diff will be rubbing constantly if they aren't matched front-to-back. It's the same reason you can't put mismatched tires on either side of an LSD-equipped axle, except for all 4 tires.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arclyte posted:

Out of curiosity who was your mechanic here? I'm looking at trading my 08 Elantra for either an 08 Legacy Limited or 07 LGT, it would be nice to have a recommended wrench when the time comes.
Metric Auto in Woodbury.

Amandyke posted:

I could understand going to a shop to do the 90k maintenance, but everything in between is essentially an oil change and quick glance over to make sure your engine hasn't fallen out. Not something you want to do at home?
No garage. Plus as mechanically inclined as a monkey.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Just talked to the dealer this morning and it is all getting fixed under warranty. In hindsight I probably could have driven it to the dealer just fine, but at the time I thought no one would believe me unless I preserved the scene of the crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

What's average cost for the 105k service? More specifically, timing belt kit w/pump, front and rear diff fluids, trans fluid, oil change, and spark plug change?