Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Linguica posted:

You've passed the New York and Missouri bars, and assuming you can reacquaint yourself with the MBE topics, you should be fine.

It's not really the material so much as fitting in learning everything all over again while spending 80 hours a week in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

sigmachiev posted:

I want to say the elite high school --> better undergrad sounds like a crock, but here's the thing: I come from a family that never went to college or stressed that stuff in the slightest. I went to a public HS and I had a good SAT and GPA and sports and poo poo, but I applied to exactly three schools: UW, NYU and USC. I applied to NYU and USC only because a chick I was into said she did. Sure, I had heard of Harvard, but I had no idea about good schools like Duke and Johns Hopkins. And I really had no clue whatsoever about this prestige idea. I love UW and everything with me and higher ed has worked out pretty darn good so far, but if those elite high schools do offer something, it's information on more possibilities after you're done there. I think that has value.

The vast, vast majority of people I know who went to Ivy and near-Ivy league schools went to private high schools, especially "academy" type ones. I'd guess more than half the people I know at law school overall went to some form of private school.

As someone who went to a tiny rural high school like Slyfrog, I can attest that you really have very few options coming out of those places. No one from my high school went to school out of state; our counselor's office didn't even have materials to apply anywhere not in Michigan. From my class, one girl went to U of M, maybe 4 people from my class went to Michigan State, a couple more went to Michigan Tech, and a few rich kids went to lovely private schools. The rest either went nowhere or to Central/Western/Eastern-type places university. There's a very distinct perception that you can't get out, which doesn't help things either. I slacked like crazy in high school, showing up when I felt like it, never did homework, because I had it in my head I'd never be able to pay for college or even knowing what kind options (and opportunities for aid) there were out there.

I can't speak to preparedness for college; I annihilated undergrad, but 95% of my knowledge didn't come from my high school education.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 20, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

I'm posting from Butler right now. The work ethic at Columbia is insane and it's somehow sucked me in. I never used to be this way.

1Ls study in Butler?

You poor, poor souls.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Forever Zero posted:

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223?story_id=17723223

You guys aren't alone.
You have to pick the right field. My mother is an entomologist (at a larger research university), and it doesn't seem like the market is so bad.
They fly out potential masters and PhD candidates out to do interviews.
Candidates have no tuition and get paid to be TAs, so they have no debt.
There's a enough of a market that pretty much everyone has jobs, even if it is just crappy post-doc stuff.
Eventually, you get tenure somewhere, work for monsanto, or work for govt.
Admittedly, you have to be able to get into a Ph.D program and get through it, but if you do, it seems pretty decent. You have to be willing to live in such exiting places as Riverside county or College Station though.

So yeah, if you have a bio background, be an entomologist.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Napoleon I posted:

The vast, vast majority of people I know who went to Ivy and near-Ivy league schools went to private high schools, especially "academy" type ones. I'd guess more than half the people I know at law school overall went to some form of private school.

As someone who went to a tiny rural high school like Slyfrog, I can attest that you really have very few options coming out of those places. No one from my high school went to school out of state; our counselor's office didn't even have materials to apply anywhere not in Michigan. From my class, one girl went to U of M, maybe 4 people from my class went to Michigan State, a couple more went to Michigan Tech, and a few rich kids went to lovely private schools. The rest either went nowhere or to Central/Western/Eastern-type places university. There's a very distinct perception that you can't get out, which doesn't help things either. I slacked like crazy in high school, showing up when I felt like it, never did homework, because I had it in my head I'd never be able to pay for college or even knowing what kind options (and opportunities for aid) there were out there.

I can't speak to preparedness for college; I annihilated undergrad, but 95% of my knowledge didn't come from my high school education.

It is bad at inner-city, non-magnet high schools as well. My high school graduated around half of the attendees, and most of those went into trades, not on to college. One of the girls I graduated with had three kids at the time of graduation. (I admire her persistence, but that is not usually a formula that leads to the ivy league). I lost a few classmates to murder, both as a victim and perpetrator.

Most of those who went to college went to local commuter state colleges. Many of those who went to college failed out of college, and very very few made it to post-grad education.

Bad education, bad counselors, and a general, overall feeling that ivy league was something for rich people, not for us.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
SlyFrog, your wife sounds pretty awesome, any chance she'll be single soon?

Edit: wait, is she employed?
Edit2: how do you feel about poly relationships?

entris fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 20, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Napoleon I posted:

What's up rural Michigan buddy! I went to public high school in Allendale, where Grand Valley State University is located; so you can guess how high our guidance counselor aimed for people. (And yes, that's where I got my bachelor's degree)

In ninth grade, which would have been about 1991, I wrote a short story for English that made the English teacher march me to the office and demand that I be enrolled in some sort of college level Creative Writing course. They did that for me, and I was encouraged by a small group of teachers there, but in general I could tell even at that age that they had no idea what to do with kids like me. There were a few of us that were basically allowed to roam the halls for four years as long as we showed up to turn in our work.

Nearly everyone I went to high school with still remains in or near that lovely small town, even some of the smartest people I have ever known. Working at factories or in the service industry or what have you. It's depressing. I wish public schools were less wildly varied in their quality. Here in the Chicago suburbs my kids now go to a great school that encourages them in all sorts of ways we never had (5th grade band? awesome!), but that is tempered by the fact that people in the neighborhood keep voting down property tax increases so we have to pay more and more out of pocket for stuff. I have paid close to a grand for various things for both kids this year, including mandatory "fees" collected by the school every year.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

nytimes posted:

blah blah stuff about legal analysis of comic books.

Mr. Daily acknowledged that he and Mr. Davidson have a semi-serious purpose. “I think we both hope that the blog has a certain educational component,” he said, adding that it could show “how lawyers think about problems.”

Does that mean they would like to see more young people apply to law school? “Oh, I hope not,” Mr. Davidson said. “Not with the market the way it is.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/books/21lawyers.html?_r=1&hp

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Petey posted:

Right this is an example of what I mean. The differences are insane. It is not something that I realized as a lifelong public school kid. But the elite private high schools - you pay for them because yes, the education is good, but mostly because they will get your kids into Ivies, with prestigious private schools as the safeties.

This is an interesting discussion that is predicated on the assumption that it is worth the extra money to send your kid to Harvard for undergrad rather than, for example, the University of Illinois. I'm not sure I buy this. Does it really give a student that much of a leg up to go to an elite undergrad institution? Clearly, it does for law school, but does it really matter as much where you go to college? It seems to me to be more important that you pick a useful major and get good grades.

Edit: Maybe we are just a product of our respective environments. I live in DC now, and I definitely see more of an Ivy influence than I did growing up back in the Midwest. I also attended both public high school and public undergrad.

Revolver fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 20, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Okay the super high school/super college/elitism chat has been fun and all but I'd like to offer a change to

SCOTCH CHAT - I've been becoming more fond of quality whiskey and want to solicit recommendations. Nothing under 60 a bottle (this will be a gift I also enjoy). So far my favorites are Ardbeg and The Glenrothes, but I'm still novice so I invite all suggestions on what I need to taste and get for others and myself.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

stingray1381 posted:

This is an interesting discussion that is predicated on the assumption that it is worth the extra money to send your kid to Harvard for undergrad rather than, for example, the University of Illinois. I'm not sure I buy this. Does it really give a student that much of a leg up to go to an elite undergrad institution? Clearly, it does for law school, but does it really matter as much where you go to college? It seems to me to be more important that you pick a useful major and get good grades.

Edit: Maybe we are just a product of our respective environments. I live in DC now, and I definitely see more of an Ivy influence than I did growing up back in the Midwest. I also attended both public high school and public undergrad.

Like I said above, I think the most valuable part about attending an elite institution for undergrad is that you're going to be surrounded by lots of people talking about things like banking, consulting, grad school, professional school and making jokes about Bear Stearns. Now whether that's desirable/you want to start wearing Top-Siders with no socks is up to you, but you're definitely going to learn a lot from a kid whose entire extended family works at GS.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

yo that site got me through my conlaw exam

Anyway I just got done getting the poo poo kicked out of me by Copyright, and now somehow I'm half done with law school

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Like I said above, I think the most valuable part about attending an elite institution for undergrad is that you're going to be surrounded by lots of people talking about things like banking, consulting, grad school, professional school and making jokes about Bear Stearns. Now whether that's desirable/you want to start wearing Top-Siders with no socks is up to you, but you're definitely going to learn a lot from a kid whose entire extended family works at GS.

Is that worth the added debt though?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

stingray1381 posted:

When you factor in financial aid, MIT ended up being almost as cheap as in-state Penn State for me (cheaper, perhaps? It's been a while). And of course this is only purely anecdotal, but if you're never exposed to friends with much much nicer things with parents who have fancy jobs, you're much more likely to be satisfied being "only" an engineer making 70k/year. If the expensive education allows you information/access to companies that exclusively recruit at a handful of schools, and allows you to land a job with one of those companies, then yes, that debt may be worth it. Now obviously not everyone that graduates is going to land a sweet job with JPM or GS starting at 70k with a bonus and then be making well into the 6 figures 2 years after graduation. Nevertheless, if you look at the link posted above there does seem to be a solid return on some of the better schools. That still doesn't mean that going to Dartmouth, studying Art History, and not doing anything else is going to land you a better job than an EECS grad going to UIUC in-state.

For reference, my undergrad debt ended up being just over 20k. In fairness, my parent's income increased significantly in that time period, so the financial aid office expected them to contribute, but if it had stayed the same I would have graduated with an almost identical loan burden.

I realize this sounds kind of douchey, but this is the law school thread sooooo

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

stingray1381 posted:

The fun part is that the extremely elite schools give a huge amount of financial aid which often makes its cost comparable or better than state schools.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm probably going to end up paying $15,000 per kid per year for kindygarty-8th and then $25,000 for high school so private school can basically tongue my rear end in a top hat

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sigmachiev posted:

SCOTCH CHAT - I've been becoming more fond of quality whiskey and want to solicit recommendations. Nothing under 60 a bottle (this will be a gift I also enjoy). So far my favorites are Ardbeg and The Glenrothes, but I'm still novice so I invite all suggestions on what I need to taste and get for others and myself.

Lagavulin 16.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think the public v private HS discussion is a bit of a red herring - it seems to be more a comparison of good HS to crappy HS, public vs private notwithstanding. I went to a horrible private school. I went to UIUC and that was probably the most prestigious school anyone in my class attended.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

gvibes posted:

I think the public v private HS discussion is a bit of a red herring - it seems to be more a comparison of good HS to crappy HS, public vs private notwithstanding. I went to a horrible private school. I went to UIUC and that was probably the most prestigious school anyone in my class attended.

And by contrast here there are public high schools like Oak Park/River Forest and New Trier where they have plenty of money from all the rich people with families who live in the neighborhood and seem to never vote down a property tax increase. Those are some pretty awesome public schools.

Of course there are plenty of Chicago Public High Schools ten miles away where the kids write with sticks dipped in shoe polish and the toilets haven't flushed since the Carter administration, too...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
What are the pros and cons of whiskey v scotch v brandy v cognac? I'm trying to pick one to explore more heavily but can't afford to just buy all of them.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Well for starters, Scotch is a kind of whiskey and Cognac is a kind of brandy so you've solved half your problem right there.

drat liquor noobs. Phil, take care of this.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

True story: last weekend me and a buddy drank 3/4 of a bottle of JW Blue Label in one sitting.

It was ok I guess

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

entris posted:

SlyFrog, your wife sounds pretty awesome, any chance she'll be single soon?
Edit: wait, is she employed?
Edit2: how do you feel about poly relationships?

No, no (but by our choice, given that I make more than enough to feed the family, she is actually currently self-studying to start off a career as a professional), and hell no. Two chicks at one time - cool. Two dicks at one time (or two dicks spaced apart in time) - not cool.

As for Scotch chat, Laphroaig. I don't give a poo poo about how many years it's aged in a cask or whether it was swished around in the mouths of young virgins before being stored away.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Gibbis trying to talk about jury nullification and drug laws.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375093

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Well for starters, Scotch is a kind of whisky and Cognac is a kind of brandy so you've solved half your problem right there.

drat liquor noobs. Phil, take care of this.
Uhm, yeah. . . .

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

qwertyman posted:

Gibbis trying to talk about jury nullification and drug laws.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375093

Haha GBS thinks Petey is a lawyer

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

NJ Deac posted:

The partners at my firm recently got a bug up their rear end about having all of the associates finish their USPTO registration. Of the four of us studying to take it right now, three of us are using the PLI program (one of us bought the materials on eBay and saved a couple grand, I and another guy paid full sticker price, minus a partial reimbursement from the firm), and one is using Omniprep.

Here was the prevailing wisdom when we were each deciding what course to take:

PLI: The "cadillac" of patent bar prep, or at least it sure is priced like one. This is the one most big firms send their associates to for prep, but it costs around 3 grand. The lectures have been alright, and the material seems pretty decently organized. However, it also tracks the MPEP pretty closely, so it's hard to quantify the value added from the organization provided by the course materials. If you have no background in patent law, this is probably the way to go, but I find myself skimming through a lot of the lectures since I've been doing this for a couple of years already. Definitely worth it if you can find a set of used materials on Ebay or wherever, but I'm not sure about paying full price. If you do decide to buy the retail version, make sure to mention you're an IP Watchdog reader for a 10% discount.

I primarily chose PLI because my firm is tying our bonuses and raises this year to how many tries it takes us to pass the exam, so I didn't want to take any chances with a "lesser" set of materials.

Also, don't worry if you can only find the audio cds. The DVDs are just John White standing in front of a blue background speaking - there's no benefit to watching the videos over listening to the audio on cd or MP3.

PRG/Kayton: Almost as expensive as PLI, and probably about as highly regarded. I didn't consider this program as fully as PLI, so I don't know as much about it, but seems to be in the "upper" tier of prep materials.

Patbar.com: A friend of mine used this program, as did one of the partners at my firm. They each said it was horribly boring and was basically a dude reading out of the MPEP for hours on end. However, they also both passed the first time. The advantage is that it's considerably cheaper than PLI or PRG, but the tradeoff is that it supposedly isn't organized as well.

Omniprep: The cheapest of all, and they offer some kind of pass guarantee. The materials are entirely online, and they verify that you've been through all of the lectures and answered the practice questions. If you do, then they'll give you a 110% refund if you fail the exam. In practice, I'm not sure how worthwhile this guarantee is. I used Micromash to study for the bar exam, and they had a similar guarantee. In order to qualify for the guarantee though, you had to do so much studying and so many practice questions that you'd almost certainly end up studying way more than you needed. I imagine the Omniprep guarantee is similar. My coworker says it's pretty dry/boring, but that's may be more related to the subject matter than the quality of the program.

In short, I think it boils down to how much you're looking to spend and how badly you need to pass the test the first time. PLI is the most highly regarded, possibly swapping with PRG depending upon who you ask, but it'll cost you. Patbar and Omniprep are budget alternatives, but if you need to pass the first time you probably want to skip them unless you already know your way around a file wrapper pretty well.

Also, I hope you've mailed in your application to the PTO, because they take at least a couple of weeks (longer if you're a CS grad from a non-ABET college) to process, and then you have to schedule time at a ProMetric facility (which can be annoyingly difficult if you don't want to drive hours to a remote facility on exam day). The patent bar is no joke, so if you haven't started to study, you need to get on it immediately. Most of the home study programs are about 50 hours of lecture and a ton of sample questions, so if you're going to get through one before the end of the year, you're running out of time.

Ideally, you want to be able to take the old exams listed on the uspto.gov website and get a passing score before you sit for the test itself. I've heard stories of just studying using the free materials provided by the PTO and reading the MPEP, but the failure rate on this test is high enough that you really need to take it seriously.
Holy crap your firm is wasting a lot of money

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Having taken and passed the patent bar right after law school, I can confirm that this is the case (minus the week of studying).

Honestly, the only important thing is knowing what chapter of the MPEP things will be in, because you can't search the entire MPEP during the test, only within a chapter.
This turned out to be accurate! Here's how you pass the patent bar y'all (Linguica put this in the OP):

1. Be a nerd under the age of 30 who can intelligently construct search strings based on unique phrases, if you are old or not a computer nerd ask one to help you (they don't need to know anything about patents or whatever)

2. Download the MPEP (individual PDFs for each chapter) and Acrobat 5 (it's what Prometric uses) and make your screen resolution tiny so your interface will be similar to what it is on the exam
3. Go here and spend a few hours walking through the 2003 repeats so you can be :smugdog: and answer instantly when they give you a recognizable repeat question, this will also get you familiar with what to search for each subject

4. Take the patent bar: Congratulations you've passed!

Note the complete absence of "prep course" or "patent electives" or even "knowing jack poo poo about law and/or engineering" in this method.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2010

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just vomited part of my crimpro outline on them. Let's see if anybody notices.

Riidi WW posted:

I would be really surprised to see a court throwing out a "Not Guilty" verdict because 'the jury did not in fact uphold the law'

I would also be surprised if a trial court in Montana decided that double jeopardy didn't mean anything anymore.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

nm posted:

Uhm, yeah. . . .

Scotch (and Canadian whisky, IIRC) is spelled without the 'e', whereas everything else is 'whiskey.'

Edit: You were correcting him; read that wrong. :blush:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

nm posted:

Uhm, yeah. . . .

:rolleyes:

Since I am an American I spell it "whiskey" when I say something like "Scotch is a kind of whiskey" because I am referring to whiskeys in general. If I was to say "Laphroaig is a good Scotch whisky" then I would use the alternate snobbish spelling.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Elotana posted:

Holy crap your firm is wasting a lot of money

This turned out to be accurate! Here's how you pass the patent bar y'all (Linguica put this in the OP):

1. Be a nerd under the age of 30 who can intelligently construct search strings based on unique phrases, if you are old or not a computer nerd ask one to help you (they don't need to know anything about patents or whatever)

2. Download the MPEP (individual PDFs for each chapter) and Acrobat 5 (it's what Prometric uses) and make your screen resolution tiny so your interface will be similar to what it is on the exam
3. Go here and spend a few hours walking through the 2003 repeats so you can be :smugdog: and answer instantly when they give you a recognizable repeat question, this will also get you familiar with what to search for each subject

Note the complete absence of "prep course" or "patent electives" or even "knowing jack poo poo about law and/or engineering" in this method.

After taking and passing the exam using a prep course, I'm going to half agree with you. In retrospect, I definitely don't feel I got $2500 worth of value out of the PLI prep course - that was a ripoff. For the price, I was expecting something at least as well put together as Barbri, which the PLI course definitely was not. On the bright side, the firm will be kicking back the cost of the prep course, so I don't really have much to complain about here.

I'm not sure I'd agree the prep course was entirely worthless, though. It helped a bit knowing what sections of the MPEP to focus on and what to ignore, and there were quite a few repeat questions I saw in their software that weren't on the 02 and 03 practice exams. I thought the initial review of some of the concepts through the lectures helped make it easier to absorb the corresponding sections of the MPEP during the practice exams - the lectures definitely would have been helpful for someone with no background in patent law at all. The additional benefit definitely wasn't worth more than a couple hundred bucks, though.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

NJ Deac posted:

After taking and passing the exam using a prep course, I'm going to half agree with you. In retrospect, I definitely don't feel I got $2500 worth of value out of the PLI prep course - that was a ripoff. For the price, I was expecting something at least as well put together as Barbri, which the PLI course definitely was not. On the bright side, the firm will be kicking back the cost of the prep course, so I don't really have much to complain about here.

I'm not sure I'd agree the prep course was entirely worthless, though. It helped a bit knowing what sections of the MPEP to focus on and what to ignore, and there were quite a few repeat questions I saw in their software that weren't on the 02 and 03 practice exams. I thought the initial review of some of the concepts through the lectures helped make it easier to absorb the corresponding sections of the MPEP during the practice exams - the lectures definitely would have been helpful for someone with no background in patent law at all. The additional benefit definitely wasn't worth more than a couple hundred bucks, though.

See if your state gives CLE credit for Patent Bar prep. Many do, and that makes the $$ and time almost worthwhile despite the Patent Bar being a test of reading comprehension and google-fu that does not require such extensive preparation.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

sigmachiev posted:

Okay the super high school/super college/elitism chat has been fun and all but I'd like to offer a change to

I like Bunnahabhain and I'll second Lagavulin but I drink Evan Williams (it's not Scotch) when I want something nice but not too nice.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

NJ Deac posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree the prep course was entirely worthless, though. It helped a bit knowing what sections of the MPEP to focus on and what to ignore, and there were quite a few repeat questions I saw in their software that weren't on the 02 and 03 practice exams.
Thing is once you take 50 or so practice questions you've already got an idea which sections are gonna be tested.

God Tier: 700, 2100
High Tier: 600, 1200, 1400
Mid Tier: 200, 500, 800, 900, 1500, 2200
Low Tier: 100, 300, 400, 1300, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2300, 2500
Not Tested: 1000, 1100, 1600, 1700, 2400, 2500, 2600, 2700

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Elotana posted:

Thing is once you take 50 or so practice questions you've already got an idea which sections are gonna be tested.

I dunno - I felt I was still learning stuff that was helpful after finishing the 02/03 exams and working on practice questions in the PLI software. Might just be me trying to rationalize the time spent doing the prep course, though. I definitely felt like I had overstudied coming out of the exam. I am going to respectfully disagree that chapter 1800 is low tier though; I had at least 10 questions dealing with PCT bullshit on my exam.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

There's always a ton of PCT bullshit but most of it isn't actually in 1800, since 1800 governs the functioning of the actual treaty but the questions are mostly about how the USPTO treats PCT filings for prior art or critical dates on our end. 2136.03 was where I ended up for at least three different PCT questions.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 21, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

You can usually put your candidate answer verbatim in the search box and if you get a hit, it's the answer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

I think 1000 was tested when I took it, but that's pretty much the difference between an appeal and a petition. I'm surprised 2500 wasn't tested.

Pop quiz: what's the period for response to a notice of non-compliant amendment given because the applicant cancelled all their original claims and filed new claims in an RCE filed six months after the final rejection?

edit: re: PCT, the happiest day as an examiner was the day they started farming out the ISRs to contractors.

edit2: MPEP 1701 sucks w/r/t posting on the internet

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 21, 2010

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Elotana posted:

There's always a ton of PCT bullshit but most of it isn't actually in 1800, since 1800 governs the functioning of the actual treaty but the questions are mostly about how the USPTO treats PCT filings for prior art or critical dates on our end. 2136.03 was where I ended up for at least three different PCT questions.

I had at least 4 questions regarding the U.S. as a competent receiving office, a couple about corrections in an international application/article 19/34 amendments, and a couple about the requirements for entering the U.S. national phase/demand - all of which I found answers for in chapter 1800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't even know who that poster is.