Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

cloudchamber posted:

Where's the best place to start with the Butthole Surfers? I know pretty much nothing about them.

You should get "Locust Abortion Technician" and the self-titled EP, then if you like that stuff, get "Psychic.... Powerless.... Another Mans Sac." But if you don't like any of these albums, you could get their more "mainstream" stuff like "Independent Worm Saloon" and "Electriclarryland." But personally these albums are much less interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I dunno if I should put this here or the recommendations thread, if I picked wrong I'm sorry.

Where do I start with Visual Kei, I have several of Gackt's albums and I have listened to some of Danger Gang which I liked (can't get their albums on iTunes in the UK) that I got through You Tube and on a compilation from iTunes. I'm leaning more towards the more Rock/Metal side of Visual Kei mainly.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Where's the best place to start with the Butthole Surfers? I know pretty much nothing about them.

Rembrandt Pussyhorse or Locust Abortion Technician for their Noise Rock stuff, Electriclarryland if you want conventional, guitar-based Rock.

You should also read the chapter on them in Our Band Could Be Your Life if you want a good picture of extramusical aspects of the band, although I'm sure there are some websites out there that detail all that stuff too.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
How about Xiu Xiu? I have Women as Lovers and I like some of the songs a bit, but a lot of them are just too weird and creepy for me. Does all their/Jamie Stewart's stuff sound like this?

oh, and Tom Waits?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

KevinHeaven posted:

You should get "Locust Abortion Technician" and the self-titled EP, then if you like that stuff, get "Psychic.... Powerless.... Another Mans Sac." But if you don't like any of these albums, you could get their more "mainstream" stuff like "Independent Worm Saloon" and "Electriclarryland." But personally these albums are much less interesting...

Honestly, I would stop with Independent Worm Saloon. They peaked (teehee) with Hairway to Steven.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

the Bunt posted:

oh, and Tom Waits?

Buy his first two albums, Closing Time and The Heart of Saturday Night. They are absolutely fantastic. His stuff gets progressively weirder from there, and I don't know how much you'd like it if you just jumped in with the most recent releases.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

I'm looking for some advice on Neil Young. I like Neil Young, but I don't know him well enough to know his different periods/styles/etc more than just that I've heard them over the years.
In addition to everything that has been mentioned, and seconding Zuma, I recommend Year of the Horse, which features a great live version of Dangerbird, and for something slightly unusual check out Mirrorball, which is an album Neil Young recorded together with Pearl Jam (although it doesn't explicitly say so).

the Bunt posted:

oh, and Tom Waits?
Tom Waits has basically had two musical careers: for ten years he played relatively soft blues-rock music, and starting with Swordfishtrombones he started playing the kind of music he's known for these days. For the early stuff I'd recommend Closing Time, his first album, or an album with later re-recordings called The Early Stuff, and Heartattack and Vine. Obviously you should take a look at Swordfishtrombones for an example of the later Waits, and if you like it also Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Years - those three albums are generally considered a loose trilogy.

Later Waits also started getting into theatrical performance, which spawned three albums that I know of: The Black Rider, Alice and Blood Money, with music from plays based on Wagner's Der Freischtz, Alice in Wonderland and Georg Bchner's Woyzeck respectively. Personally I'd recommend Blood Money, it's what got me into Tom Waits.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks for all the Neil Young advice, will definitely start looking into some of those albums.

the Bunt posted:

oh, and Tom Waits?

I started with Rain Dogs. It is still my favorite album of his, and it is a pretty good barometer of whether you will like send-era Tom Waits.

I think this AV Club article offers a fairly decent justification for starting with Rain Dogs. I second that "Singapore," while not my favorite Waits song, is a perfect quick litmus test to see if you want to continue.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've been listening heavily to Surf Blood for the past few months, however I am having a hard time finding something that sounds similar to them. Does anyone know of anyone who sounds close to them or at least fits that same indie/surf rock sound?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

the Bunt posted:

How about Xiu Xiu? I have Women as Lovers and I like some of the songs a bit, but a lot of them are just too weird and creepy for me. Does all their/Jamie Stewart's stuff sound like this?

oh, and Tom Waits?

Check out Fabulous Muscles. I Luv the Valley and Clown Town are some of their greatest accessible songs and are both on that album. My personal favorite album of theirs is A Promise.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the Bunt posted:

Fabulous Muscles, The Air Force, and the most recent, Dear God I Hate Myself. Those are the most conventional/least weird albums, probably. Go anywhere from there, honestly.

Also, if you get a chance, see them live. They are most definitely a live band.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ummm, John Zorn?

He is a very prolific fellow. Only thing I've heard are a few Masada tracks on youtube which were great.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Anime_Otaku posted:

I dunno if I should put this here or the recommendations thread, if I picked wrong I'm sorry.

Where do I start with Visual Kei, I have several of Gackt's albums and I have listened to some of Danger Gang which I liked (can't get their albums on iTunes in the UK) that I got through You Tube and on a compilation from iTunes. I'm leaning more towards the more Rock/Metal side of Visual Kei mainly.

(Please note this is from someone with a casual interest in Visual-Kei at best who absolutely can't stand Gackt or Malice Mizer, but nobody else was biting so what the hell)

You should give Blood Stain Child and Dir en Grey a try, they're sort of kind of maybe not really VK but they are definitely Japanese metal guys who like to play dress-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oi-8xl7uZs BSC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7IXmV6A6Bk DEG

If you're looking for something a bit softer I'd recommend Blood or Aural Vampire. Blood are a gothic rock band into those operatic vocals that are a hallmark of VK while Aural Vampire is more obviously electro-pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F8TKfScH8s Blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px0MwxZ_iEU AV

My own request: are there any "Neue Deutsche Hrte" bands worth bothering with beyond Rammstein, Oomph! and Megaherz? I've been digging that sound lately and I'm curious. Forget it, this isn't really the right thread

sharts fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 28, 2010

Dr. Magnificent
Sep 1, 2006

After being blown away by Pet Sounds, where do I go with the Beach Boys? They have such a huge catalog.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Magnificent posted:

After being blown away by Pet Sounds, where do I go with the Beach Boys? They have such a huge catalog.

If you loved Pet Sounds, the next logical place to go would be The Beach Boys Today!, since it served as kind of a warm-up to Pet Sounds and has similar production. Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) (available as part of a twofer disc with Today!) also has its share of great songs (especially "California Girls" and "Let Him Run Wild"), but it's a lot more scattershot.

As for their other work, the pre-Pet Sounds stuff tends to be a bit of a crapshoot. Their early singles are mostly fantastic, and there's also a fair number of great album tracks (e.g. "Farmer's Daughter," "The Warmth of the Sun," "The Surfer Moon"), but it's all smothered in filler tracks that range from being mediocre to just plain godawful (e.g. "Ten Little Indians," "County Fair," "'Cassius' Love vs. 'Sonny' Wilson"). I personally think that just picking up the two compilations Sounds of Summer and The Warmth of the Sun nets you almost all of the essential early stuff you'll ever need.

The post-Pet Sounds albums starting from Smiley Smile up through Holland all tend to be quite different from each other stylistically, and I consider this to be their most artistically fertile period, as every single album from that stretch is well worth listening to. The best to start with would probably be Sunflower, since it's consistently good and shows increased songwriting contributions from the non-Brian Wilson members of the band. A couple other possibilities for starting points would be Wild Honey (rough and rootsy, a couple years before The Beatles' Let It Be) and Friends (intimate and introspective, a personal fave of mine).

The stuff after Holland, meanwhile, is almost universally garbage. By that point, Mike Love had his way with the band and turned the group into a pointless parody of their earliest fun in the sun stuff. The only things potentially worth looking for from this period are The Beach Boys Love You (originally slated to be a Brian Wilson solo album, and probably the weirdest thing ever released under the Beach Boys name), and any songs written by Dennis Wilson (who was a loving spectacular songwriter. his solo album Pacific Ocean Blue is well worth picking up too).

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering where one would gain a representative taste of Stevie Wonder's work.

There seems to be quite a bit, and my assumption is that it's not all worth chugging through. I really have very little idea, though. I was just watching High Fidelity for the nth time and took a liking to the closing song this time around for some reason.

VVVV Thanks.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 22, 2010

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering where one would gain a representative taste of Stevie Wonder's work.

There seems to be quite a bit, and my assumption is that it's not all chugging through. I really have very little idea, though. I was just watching High Fidelity for the nth time and took a liking to the closing song this time around for some reason.

Innervisions > Songs in the Key of Life > some of the earlier Motown poo poo (Signed, Sealed & Delivered?) > Talking Book > Fulfillingness' First Finale

Anything after '79 (Secret Life of Plants) is, uhh, risky...

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Where should I start with NoMeansNo?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dailydares posted:

Where should I start with NoMeansNo?
I'd recommend Wrong, Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie and Why do they call me Mr. Happy?. If you like the Ramones or just simple 3-chord punk in general, also check out their Hanson Brothers albums, in particular Gross Misconduct.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Where do I start with Funker Vogt?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Maha posted:

Where do I start with Funker Vogt?

Execution Tracks!

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I want to get into power metal. I like the "epic" feel of some of the songs I heard. The only one I can recall the name is Dragonforce Through fire and flames (the guitar hero 3 one). I prefer the more melodic voices than the growling ones.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Gaggins posted:

Execution Tracks!

Execution Tracks it is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grimlook posted:

I want to get into power metal. I like the "epic" feel of some of the songs I heard. The only one I can recall the name is Dragonforce Through fire and flames (the guitar hero 3 one). I prefer the more melodic voices than the growling ones.

Listen to something by Stratovarius, maybe Dreamspace.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Can anyone help me out? I'm curious where to start, and where not to continue to, as far as Guided By Voices go.

Thanks a bunch, duder.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 2, 2010

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are the obvious starting points. Then I would say get the greatest hits comp, Human Amusements at Hourly Rates, and pick and choose from there. I recommend Sandbox and Vampire On Titus for early albums, and Isolation Drills and Earthquake Glue for later albums. I was never a fan of Devil Between My Toes, Under The Bushes Under The Stars or Do The Collapse, so I guess those are some to avoid. Only pick up the Suitcase box sets if you become an obsessive.

The biggest problem with GBV is that Robert Pollard can write some of the best loving songs ever but then he sticks them on albums that are full of mediocre filler or dicking around.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 2, 2010

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I've found that Jandek has a nigh unavoidable cult following, but Jesus Christ is he prolific. Which albums are considered his best, or the most worthwhile for a beginner?

Wyllt
May 6, 2009
Hey im sure this has been asked before but could someone recommend me a good jumping off point for Frank Zappa? I always hear such great things but his catalogue is so dense its hard to find an album that will give me a good feel for his music.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Wyllt posted:

Hey im sure this has been asked before but could someone recommend me a good jumping off point for Frank Zappa? I always hear such great things but his catalogue is so dense its hard to find an album that will give me a good feel for his music.

In no particular order: Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Sheik Yerbouti, and, my personal favorite, Joe's Garage.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Wyatt posted:

In no particular order: Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Sheik Yerbouti, and, my personal favorite, Joe's Garage.

For his earlier stuff, I'd also recommend We're Only in It for the Money, then Uncle Meat and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. The overall best album to start with would probably be Over-Nite Sensation, though, at least in my opinion.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Grimlook posted:

Manowar. Manowar is the pinnacle of power metal. I cannot stress this enough. Gods Of War and The Triumph of Steel are my favourites.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Grimlook posted:

Check out Helloween.

This is one of their most epic songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIIwVStGok

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Where do I start with Tori Amos?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Tony Jowns posted:

Where do I start with Tori Amos?

At the beginning: Little Earthquakes. That's when she was at her most stripped-down: just a girl and a piano. Personally, I prefer her second album, Under the Pink, but you might as well just check them out in order. Beyond that, it kind of depends what you like. I don't think she made anything else as good as those first two albums, but I liked everything up through Scarlet's Walk. I've been pretty underwhelmed with anything after that.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I go with John Cale? Very much familiar with the Velvets, loved Paris 1919, that's as far as i've gotten.

Also, could someone recommend me a decent surf rock compilation or two?

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

machchunk posted:

I've found that Jandek has a nigh unavoidable cult following, but Jesus Christ is he prolific. Which albums are considered his best, or the most worthwhile for a beginner?

You might want to start with You Walk Alone, since it's one of the most coherently bluesy, or the debut Ready for the House. Other than that Blue Corpse and The Living End seem to be the subject of a hazy sorta consensus as Classic Jandek.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

where should someone start with The Beatles and Tom Tom Club?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

The Beatles

Their history is so well-documented and their evolution so readily apparent in each work that I'd recommend sticking to some kind of chronological order. Kick it off with 1, a collection of 27 chart-topping singles arranged in chronological order. That's a great overview of the breadth of their career. While many people have an aversion to "greatest hits" albums, the album didn't really become the paradigmatic unit of rock music until the Beatles themselves popularized it as such -- there are many Beatles tracks that were only released as singles, so 1 is a good way to sample those.

1965's Rubber Soul is widely considered the point at which their songwriting matured dramatically due to the influence of Bob Dylan and the members' exploration of spirituality and psychedelics. When you're ready for the albums, start there and just go forward.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Tom Tom Club?

Chronologically. The self-titled debut has their biggest hits on it and recently got the deluxe reissue treatment which features the second album as a bonus disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I've stayed away from Neil Young for a long time, mostly because of disliking his voice, but I know there is material of his I would like, and probably would eventually get past the whole voice thing. He has too many highly rated albums for me to decide which one to start on. I know that "After the Gold Rush" is usually listed as the best, but I'm not sure if that's the one for me.

I'm into the more guitar-centric stuff, so I'd likely want to start with a Crazy Horse-heavy album. Which one rocks hard enough/has enough melody so that I can get past his weird-rear end voice? (I'm also kind of embarrassed to ask this because I have tons and tons of music and I feel like I should have attempted this years ago.)