Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Rode it to work and back as the weather had picked up a bit today. Got half way home and picked up a puncture in the rear about 2miles from home, gently caress :(

Made it home safely, at about 5mph. Ah well, needed new tires anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
Pulled the battery out to stick on a tender.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Then lost one of the battery terminal bolts somewhere in this area. Poked around there with a magnet retriever for 15 minutes with no luck, oh well. Back to the hardware store.

There's no moving parts under the battery box so hopefully it'll fall out on the road in spring.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

M4gic posted:

Then lost one of the battery terminal bolts somewhere in this area. Poked around there with a magnet retriever for 15 minutes with no luck, oh well. Back to the hardware store.

There's no moving parts under the battery box so hopefully it'll fall out on the road in spring.

Man, I did this, 30 miles from home on the side of a busy highway. I looked for an hour and some nice guys that pulled over even dug through the weeds for 15 minutes. Luckily I found a bolt elsewhere on the bike that could be transplanted.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

gently caress:

I wonder what the penalty is for breaking the no trespassing law?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
In Texas? Two to the head.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

stalled it at a T-intersection while turning. fell on the right side and bent the front brake lever. tried to bend it back with a piece of 1" pipe and the drat bent bit snapped off.

shite.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
So I've told people before and now I'm doing it again as my replacement has crapped out on me. Two Brothers Racing is absolute garbage.

The first exhaust I bought from them for my Ninja 650 fell apart after a month. Yes, thats right. Fucker fell apart. The carbon fiber around the rivets ripped and came loose depositing packing all over the parts on the bottom of my bike.

After about 2 weeks of fighting with TBR via my dealer where I bought it they agreed to replace it. The next day I was notified that the new can had been packed, shipped, and was on the way.

Unlike when I bought it and they overnighted it this one took a week to get there. When it had finally arrived it was MISSING THE MOUNTING BRACKET and all the parts needed. After some phone tag they agreed to ship out the bracket and parts, a week later they were there but missing the bolts and tools. You can guess how long it took to get them.
Well, It's done it again and this time I've included pictures. I got a hold of Two Brothers myself and they said they would figure out what they're willing to do. So I pretty much told them if I don't get a refund I'm taking their asses to small claims court and we'll let the wonderful state of California decide what's best.

gently caress you, Two Brothers Racing.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 17, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Finally got my replacement shifter pedal and actually found the time in daylight to go out and pop it on. Not exactly a major repair, but still it feels good to work on something with your own two hands instead of just taking it to the shop. The weather is all the way up into the low thirties, so maybe I'll even take it for a spin later.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I sold it :( SV is gone, new bike to come in a couple weeks.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Christmas came early for my Monster 900

Mich Pilot Powers - 180 in Rear looks huuuge on little Duc
Flossy new Black&Gold D.I.D. chain.
New sprockets - added 2 teeth in back cog
Oil change with Motul 300V (smells like bananas and looks like green radioactive goo)
New head bearings
Pro Taper MX bar (to replace stock bar bent in wreck)

Oh yeah, didn't take her D&D's away. Crybaby neighbor can go gently caress himself.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Left it at work under a cover and took the van home. gently caress this rain. :tubular:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I sold it :( SV is gone, new bike to come in a couple weeks.

Holy poo poo, any ideas on the new one?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Holy poo poo, any ideas on the new one?

Daytona 675 :)

Edit: Heinous gold

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Having seen it in person and being a huge jealous SV fan I was pretty sad to hear that you sold that SV. Now that I've seen what you're picking up I somehow don't feel so bad.

Bravo, sir. That's one nice loving bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Having seen it in person and being a huge jealous SV fan I was pretty sad to hear that you sold that SV. Now that I've seen what you're picking up I somehow don't feel so bad.

Bravo, sir. That's one nice loving bike.

Gold makes everything better :) I was sad to see it go, but my butt-dyno had gotten quite used to the 650 and I just wanted a little a lot more pep.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Rode her home in the rain and through the tunnel. it wasnt as bad as people make it out to be.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
SV got a new rear tire today. I don't mount my own tires but if I keep running over these $200 nails I just might start. I've been out of town for 2 months without the bikes, and the SV seems to have developed a bad 2-3 shift that takes a couple of attempts before it will go. We'll see how an oil change treats it.

The dirty dirty KTM had its valve clearances checked (zero adjustments in 100 hours of running and she's still [barely] within tolerance on all four) and I finally took apart the carburetor and cleaned everything out. What kind of sick son of a bitch has a twisted enough brain to develop something like a carb? I ran some brass wire though every tiny hole I could find and what do you know, it's like a brand new bike. I hope it takes more than a few hours for the next round of sand micrograins work their way back into all those jets and passages.

Once again I will state publicly that I will not buy another carb'd bike. I've been looking at CBX1000s for a long time but I don't think I could handle cleaning/adjusting six carburetors.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Thanks to the crappy weather here, I haven't been able to ride since Thanksgiving. :argh: So I got some Seafoam, dumped it in the tank and then rode it up to the gas station to fill it.

Twice. Because the first time I forgot my wallet. :argh: :argh:

Now if the weather doesn't improve, at least I don't have to worry about my garbs gunking up.

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

Just bought another bike today. 1971 Honda CB350 for $300. The kick-starter turns the engine so it's not seized up or anything. Just got it into the garage so I haven't had a chance to jump into the internals too much, except for taking out a battery that had 7/09/1999 scratched into the top. I've got all winter to tinker with it and get a title. The guy I bought it from bought it from an auction, and I picked it up in the middle of farm country in Iowa.

Click here for the full 1152x1536 image.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oiled and adjusted the chain today. looked pretty loose.

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

Finally got a chance to start stripping the bike tonight.

Seems like a pretty inefficient design to have two air filters on either side, but it was the 70's. The engineers were probably out dancing to disco or something.

The air intake held open with wire.

Drained the oil. I think it's about 20 years overdue.

Well that's all I'm going to do for tonight. I'll tackle some more tomorrow.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Man I never come in here anymore. I tend to ride my bike more than post in CA nowadays.

Changed the rear sprocket back to the factory one and got some new tires. Ive heard mixed things about the Kenda K270s, but so far I like them. Better than the previous bridgestones by far. My mechanic adjusted my clutch back to normal, wire wrapped my grips (I was gonna replace them anyway dude!) and monkeyed around a little free of charge. Cool guys. Bike is filthy but who cares, its a dual sport. Am I still the only XR650L owner in CA? Sometimes, when passing all the KLR riders, I feel like I am the only XR rider in the world :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sold the Kikker yesterday morning! The strange thing is the guy didn't even try to haggle at all, it sold for $2000. I guess any bike retains its value pretty well if you find the right buyer.

Now I gotta go see if the Duc will run, it's been acting up again.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Chill_Bebop posted:

Man I never come in here anymore. I tend to ride my bike more than post in CA nowadays.

Changed the rear sprocket back to the factory one and got some new tires. Ive heard mixed things about the Kenda K270s, but so far I like them. Better than the previous bridgestones by far. My mechanic adjusted my clutch back to normal, wire wrapped my grips (I was gonna replace them anyway dude!) and monkeyed around a little free of charge. Cool guys. Bike is filthy but who cares, its a dual sport. Am I still the only XR650L owner in CA? Sometimes, when passing all the KLR riders, I feel like I am the only XR rider in the world :(

i like your xr. i had the opportunity to ride an xr650l and i must say the torque is quite addictive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally coated the inside of my gas tank with Caswell, and installed my new turn signals/brake lights. Started off sunny then got freaking freezing outside, oh well.

Why, Enfield, why do you switch the ground for the turn signals but the +POS for the brake light? WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS INSANITY?

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
Finished chopping up the arse end of the GN250.

Fabbed a new seat, & mounts for new indicators, tail light & plate, & shortened the mudguard. Made the seat base from the side panel of an old HP computer case, so I stuck the "Intel Inside" sticker on the battery cover. :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

finally got the right stem for my IK12 indicator (turns out the aftermarket stems have a larger thread to fit in the aftermarket indicator) and now i cant find the plate that affixes the indicator to the bike.

its been moved from where i put it down. augh!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

No pictures since I'm lazy, but I installed a new shift lever on the WR tonight. I've been feeling a little gimpy while shifting with the off-road boots so I figured for $35 I'd try a new shifter. Well, the picture on the site is deceiving, the lever isn't curved, its straight. It is almost the exact dimensions of the stock lever. I'm still going to keep it, it is a fraction of the weight of the stock lever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can also appreciate that it's less moving mass to shift! :v:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Took the front rim off my KTM and used the 20 ton press to take about half a dozen big dents out of it. Its not entirely perfect, but its leaps and bounds from what it used to be. Also changed the front tire.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Well, not today but on Monday, the wheel's came off...

and in the process, I noticed a nice hefty chip in the paint on the right fork leg

then the wheels went back on a few hours later, with nice new tires

Hangover and weather permitting, the rear wheel will be coming off again on Saturday to get the new sprockets and chain on as well. Then a drat good clean is in order.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Put some small generic bags on the REnfield; I like the look more than the original ammo cans.

Ignore the oil spew, that's the breather doing it's thing after I overfilled the oil. The bike tells me where it wants the oil level to be, not the other way around, apparently.

I also painted the kneepad logos with some white epoxy, and removed and plugged the electric starter and assorted bits. Cut wiring on the bike down by half.

I did take it up this hill:

It's the Old Spiral Highway right outside of Lewiston, ID (a few hours from where I am). The road rises 2,000 feet in eight very twisty miles, is almost always deserted, and has near-perfect asphalt. The road has a speed limit of only 35mph, but the REnfield makes up it's lack of horsepower with an abundance of torque, so cruising at 35-40 in third gear at 3,000 RPM is very...fulfilling.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 30, 2011

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Finally put the new indicator on my bike, 5 weeks since the spill.

then gave her a wash and a polish, she's shiny as. :rudebox:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Took out the carbs for the 100th time to adjust the float levels so fuel would actually go into the bowls. The ninja started right up them promptly died since I'm now out of gas from taking the carbs out so many times and draining the float bowls. I'm hoping to take it for a ride tomorrow after class. I might try figure out how to sync the carbs since my neighbor loaned me his sync tool. I'll probably end up taking it to the shop for a good tune though.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

NinjaTech posted:

Took out the carbs for the 100th time to adjust the float levels so fuel would actually go into the bowls. The ninja started right up them promptly died since I'm now out of gas from taking the carbs out so many times and draining the float bowls. I'm hoping to take it for a ride tomorrow after class. I might try figure out how to sync the carbs since my neighbor loaned me his sync tool. I'll probably end up taking it to the shop for a good tune though.

I've been there. If I never do another goddamned float adjustment on a motorcycle carb again for the rest of my entire life, it will still be too soon.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Finally got it all back together with the new wheels. The dull overcast Seattle lighting and camera phone do not do it justice. They look spectacular.

Click here for the full 1024x577 image.

Also, no more cush drive on the rear wheel... for extra weight savings I guess. Haven't had a chance to actually ride it like this yet. Hoping it's not too much more violent because of that.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

ari.gato posted:

I've been there. If I never do another goddamned float adjustment on a motorcycle carb again for the rest of my entire life, it will still be too soon.

Yeah I really hope that it's adjusted decently. It said 17mm height so that's where I set them. After I'm done with the carbs on this bike I've got to deal with the one on my YSR :(.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
It was a balmy 30 degrees out today so I decided to monkey around with the project and take a few pictures. I got the starter button resoldered and the right controls back on, and started to shave down my seat into something that closely resembles a banana. The bike in the foreground is my brother's Buell 1200 that I'm storing for him (brutal machine), the one on the right is my Honda Hawk.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Has anyone removed a wheel bearing retainer from one of these old Hondas? I have fresh bearings for the rear but no way of removing the retainer. It looks like this:

They make a special tool that fits into the 4 holes, but it's around $30. I can't find a local shop with the tool to do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gweenz, you have two problems now.

1. Pay $30 for that special tool
2. Post more pics of that bike.