Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

pigdog posted:

Patently untrue. However, new players in EVE can play some useful roles in which they are almost as good as veterans, and if a new player is doing well financially (say, scamming a rich player out of billions, which happens all the time) then he can legally buy himself a high level character from another player.

Its obvious youve never tackled before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Just because a 24 hours old player can tackle decently ( still not as well as someone in a pimped interceptor/faction frig), is nowhere near enough to say that a 24h old player is as powerful as a 5 year old player. Let alone more powerful.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Just because a 24 hours old player can tackle decently ( still not as well as someone in a pimped interceptor/faction frig), is nowhere near enough to say that a 24h old player is as powerful as a 5 year old player. Let alone more powerful.

Okay then I guess being the reason why someone loses 500m+ spacebux doesnt count towards how powerful a character is.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The eve scenario is like League of Legends pub games.
You want a tank, everyone plays dps. You want some CC? everyone plays assassin.

Just because the tackler isn't doing the 5000 damage per volley of a battleship does not mean it's less "powerful". Really in these team games, it's almost always the support that lead the success of the group.

The only way you can definitively say something is better would be either care bearing with ravens or doing retard ganking like vagabonds vs frigate or stealth bombers vs industrial. :reject:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

csidle posted:

I completed and absolutely loved Mass Effect 2 a while back, despite not having thought that the first game was anything to take note of at all.

I would very much like to play a game similiar to Mass Effect 2 but taking place in a medieval setting. I enjoy games like Oblivion and a little bit Fable, but they don't have very deep roleplaying, I find.

I have considered The Witcher, because it is said to have a moral system much like Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age, because it is said to be a great RPG experience. Is Dragon Age anything like ME2? And what would you generally recommend to a guy looking for ME2 in a medieval setting?
Dragon Age can be a bit hit or miss based on your description. Like ME Dragon Age has got a generic Bioware storyline, which means decent for a video game but nothing to write home about, the combat is different with an emphasis on the tactical and the game certainly is less cinematic than the ME. If you have some patience Dragon Age 2 is set to come out in a few months (March?) and from what we have heard it is going to be more similar to ME(2) - named and voiced protagonist with a set backstory which paves the way for cinematic story-telling, less emphasis on tactical combat and more on PRESS X TO MAKE SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPEN (paraphrased from actual developer's quote) and a far more streamlined interface with fewer options.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Evoq posted:

Okay then I guess being the reason why someone loses 500m+ spacebux doesnt count towards how powerful a character is.

No, it doesn't, because an older character in the same situation would do just as well and infact probably better.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

jvempire posted:

Have you ever heard of Torchlight? The entire game is a dungeon crawl with the ability to warp back to the town at the start to sell items/etc. Each dungeon is randomly generated as well as the loot. Also, the combat is in the style of Diablo.

Yep. Have it and played the poo poo out of it. I was looking for something with a third person or first person perspective. Third person like in most MMOs, not the top down view of Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

tolerabletariff posted:

Try Jade Empire. It's like a kung-fu RPG, and it's from Bioware so you know it's awesome.

Welp, here I am home from college with a long break and not much to do, and I find myself completely bored by not only every one of the hundreds of games in my collection, but also unimpressed by nearly every game I've seen online. I'm a PC gamer exclusively, and do not play MMOs or online games in general, besides Battlefield (which I'm awful at). I've played all the Call of Duty games, for example, but just for the SP campaigns.

My hardware is generally sufficient to run anything I throw at it.

Games I loved: Deus Ex, Mount & Blade, the Total War series, Sins of a Solar Empire, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, Grand Theft Auto series, Company of Heroes, Civilization series, Hearts of Iron 3/SF, Mass Effect, Close Combat series, UFO series, tycoon or business games

Games people have suggested but I didn't like all that much: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, TES IV: Oblivion, Elemental: War of Magic (sort of waiting on this to unfuck itself through patches), X3: Terran Conflict (I like but am not good enough at to experience the amount of cool poo poo you can do), Dragon Age: Origins, Diablo series, Borderlands, Alpha Protocol

Help me goons, I'm dying here, I can think of almost nothing I'm really interested in playing. I can't even define what genre I like, my favorite games are RPGs, TB/RT strategy games, shooters, everything. Although I can say without a wheel or joystick the only ones I won't consider are driving/flight sims.

I don't see F.E.A.R or Condemned: Criminal Origins on that list, so you'll enjoy those if you like first person shooting/horror (skip the expansions and sequels). It's probably not a recommendation that comes up often, but if you want a crazy russian arthouse first-person-something that's also incredibly hard, you should look into The Void. It kind of gives a pervasive feeling of dread while you're playing it though, so not good for the Christmas spirit!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yep. Have it and played the poo poo out of it. I was looking for something with a third person or first person perspective. Third person like in most MMOs, not the top down view of Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest.

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366609

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really like in Uncharted 2 where you can sneak up on people and take them down silently without being caught. For some sections it can be a real puzzle to work out the best way to do it. Eventually however you have to start up a gun fight.

What is a game where you can do stealth takedowns all the way through?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

I really like in Uncharted 2 where you can sneak up on people and take them down silently without being caught. For some sections it can be a real puzzle to work out the best way to do it. Eventually however you have to start up a gun fight.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It's probably the best Splinter Cell in the series.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jvempire posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It's probably the best Splinter Cell in the series.

You might also want to give Velvet Assassin and Hitman: Blood Money a try, both are pretty good stealth-based games.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

pigdog posted:

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366609

Yea, thinks looks very similar to what I was talking about. I'll probably pick it on the Steam sale.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Evoq posted:

A 24-hour old character is as powerful, if not more powerful, than someone thats been playing for 5 years straight [in EVE Online].

I'm curious, how does this work?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well it's very very exaggerated and pretty much completely wrong, but it is rooted in the fact that a 24h-old character can tackle any other ship in the game and prevent that ship from warping away from an ambush, usually leading to that ship's demise.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Batman:Arkham Asylum isn't fully stealth, but it has a great combat system that moves seamlessly between brawling and stealth takedowns, and both are fantastic fun. No matter which kind of encounter you come across, you feel like you're a loving predator stalking your dumb convict prey, just like Batman should.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I'm looking for a fun tactical RPG/strategy game, preferably turn based so I can play it while chilling in front of the tv on my laptop. It doesn't have to be full on RPG but I would like some kind of character progression be it through gear or ability. The one thing i don't want to deal with is a miles deep obscure combat system or having to play for 5 hours before my guys can hit somebody at 10 paces. I tried to get into jagged alliance 2 with 1.13 which I enjoyed, but by the time i really got a handle on the game's systems I had died and replayed the opening few towns so much i was just burnt out. Any ideas?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Pikey posted:

I'm looking for a fun tactical RPG/strategy game, preferably turn based so I can play it while chilling in front of the tv on my laptop. It doesn't have to be full on RPG but I would like some kind of character progression be it through gear or ability. The one thing i don't want to deal with is a miles deep obscure combat system or having to play for 5 hours before my guys can hit somebody at 10 paces. I tried to get into jagged alliance 2 with 1.13 which I enjoyed, but by the time i really got a handle on the game's systems I had died and replayed the opening few towns so much i was just burnt out. Any ideas?

Im not sure if this is what you are after but you could give it a try. Battle for Wesnoth

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pikey posted:

You could go with Alien Assault, a free Space Hulk remake. It's tbs tactical scenarios rather than open world strategic, though your guys do level up from mission to mission.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Pikey posted:

If you're into SRPGs, and don't mind playing something a bit old, you might want to look at one of the Langrisser games. Langrisser 2 or Der Langrisser both have translation patches going around the net and are surprisingly enjoyable old SRPG games with plenty of RPG elements, and have somewhat more strategy/tactics involved than the likes of Shining Force. The main different feature in the games is that you have your main heroes who can kick rear end, but they also command a whole bunch of troops who are stronger (and progressively so as you level up) if they stay within the hero's command radius. If the hero is taken out, his/her troops all rout.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are there any games similar to Oblivion but with non-competitive multiplayer? Either that or a RTS/Simcity/RPG cooperative pc game would be great. It doesn't strictly have to be coop but at least not focused around PVP.

Minecraft pretty much put us in the mood for games where you work together rather than deathmatch. I've played OpenTTD, Borderlands, Saint's Row 2, Left 4 Dead 1+2, Lost Planet 2, Diablo 2 and so on.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
I've been looking for a while now, but is there anything really similar/identical to Tomba! or Tomba 2?

Tomba was a 2d platformer/RPG hybrid for PSX, with quests, equipment, and a stupid but amusing plot. I suppose platforming gameplay wise the closest would be Klonoa.

Any thoughts?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Nekrews posted:

I've been looking for a while now, but is there anything really similar/identical to Tomba! or Tomba 2?

Tomba was a 2d platformer/RPG hybrid for PSX, with quests, equipment, and a stupid but amusing plot. I suppose platforming gameplay wise the closest would be Klonoa.

Any thoughts?

Tomba is basically the same as one of the many Wonder Boy games. Just be careful, the series took a split, so the games are either the Platformer RPG hybrid or more pure Platformer.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

Within about 12 hours you can fly a ship that is too small and fast to be hit by any weapon (except missiles which just do way less damage) which allows you to lock down any ship in the game and keep them from running away so your friends can blow them up and make them cry and lose hundreds of USD.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

The Thief games are pretty much based around avoiding or taking down people as quietly as possible. If you aren't knocking out everybody you see with a blackjack, then robbing the place blind, you're playing it wrong. Seriously, you'll automatically fail the mission at the higher difficulty levels if you kill somebody.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I really liked the tactical missions in Half Life Episodes one and two, like the zombie ambush in the dark and the part where you defend the base from the Striders and Hunters, but I'm kind of new to modern FPS's. What games are like that?

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Longshot, but was it one of the Journeyman Project games?

Based on a GIS...
YES. IT WAS. Journeyman Project 3: The Legacy of Time!

I freaking love you man. Gunna track this poo poo down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I really liked the tactical missions in Half Life Episodes one and two, like the zombie ambush in the dark and the part where you defend the base from the Striders and Hunters, but I'm kind of new to modern FPS's. What games are like that?

Hm. Iron Grip Warlord is kind of like the bit in ep 2 where you defend against the antlions, it's basically a FPS tower defense, where you also must participate in shooting the oncoming legions.

It's $2.50 on Steam at the moment, and is (in my small experience) better suited for play on your own or amongst friends also new to the game. Playing online with others more experienced in the game, it hardly matters what you do, in fact, you're almost in competition with them to place turrets in just the right place.

Halation
Mar 30, 2010

This is really loving broad, but can anyone with a PSP rattle off the top games for it right now? I don't care about genre. Killer apps, best new releases, whatever. I already have Persona 3 Portable and MGS Peacewalker, they were pretty great, also got both Disgaeas and SotN off PSN.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

V for Vegas posted:

Nobody has said loving Metal Gear yet? Jesus. There are parts in every game where you have to fight but they are basically stealth-ish games at heart.

And seconding Blood Money, it's a ton of fun and you can play it as stealthily or as violently as you like.

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
Has anyone played any good economic/tycoon games recently? I'm itching to get into one but there is such a sea of crap in that genre. I've been playing tropico 3 but i'm looking for something more specific than city builder.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

tyang209 posted:

Has anyone played any good economic/tycoon games recently? I'm itching to get into one but there is such a sea of crap in that genre. I've been playing tropico 3 but i'm looking for something more specific than city builder.

Have you played Jurassic Park Operation Genesis before? It isn't new, but I don't think it is that popular either, You build a dinosaur theme park\zoo. It has a lot of other elements that are very unique to tycoon games as well, you can build a safari track and I believe you can actually drive it. You can also fly a helicopter and knock out\ kill dinosaurs with a tranquilizer gun. Theres a whole bunch of missions as well involving stuff like that without tycoon elements, as well as a sandbox mode you can unlock where you can just breed a gently caress load of dinosaurs and watch them kill each other. It isn't on Steam, and I don't know of anywhere you can actually buy it digitally though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So I've officially "run out" of things to do in Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise. I freaking loved that game. Anything else like it?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So someone got me a £5 gift card for GAME, I don't shop there (local game store usually) and currently trying to save up for something. Could anyone recommend a game around the £10 mark from http://game.co.uk ? I own every current gen platform.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

So someone got me a £5 gift card for GAME, I don't shop there (local game store usually) and currently trying to save up for something. Could anyone recommend a game around the £10 mark from http://game.co.uk ? I own every current gen platform.

They've got New Vegas on PC for £9.98 which is a loving steal (If you have a PC that can run it). You could also get Split/Second or Vanquish for £12, although I can't comment on how good or bad they were.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Split/Second is pretty fun and fairly unique as far as racers go, although chances are you'll get considerably more overall playtime out of Fallout: NV.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I recently picked up a Nintendo DS Lite second hand for pretty cheap, and I've been enjoying Pokemon Platinum and Super Scribblenauts on it. I'd like to buy more games that have a similar kind of longevity/replayability, and I'm not too fussed for genres. Any suggestions? Basically anything that will give me really good value for money in terms of sheer volume of stuff to do.

Ludicrous Speed
Aug 29, 2004

throttle up flaps down
power up gears down

Montalvo posted:

I recently picked up a Nintendo DS Lite second hand for pretty cheap, and I've been enjoying Pokemon Platinum and Super Scribblenauts on it. I'd like to buy more games that have a similar kind of longevity/replayability, and I'm not too fussed for genres. Any suggestions? Basically anything that will give me really good value for money in terms of sheer volume of stuff to do.
Monster Rancher DS is a great choice. You create monsters to raise and fight based on drawings you make with the stylus and stuff you say into the microphone. The game itself is fantastic, but I have just as much fun drawing penises to see what comes from it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need a girlfriend-friendly PS3 game!

We've tried LBP, and the super-sensitive/wonky controls ruined our experience. Katamari was okay, but got old quite quickly. We've done Scott Pilgrim. Any other games that can be played with the girlfriend?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Category Fun! posted:

They've got New Vegas on PC for £9.98 which is a loving steal (If you have a PC that can run it). You could also get Split/Second or Vanquish for £12, although I can't comment on how good or bad they were.

I can: loving GET VANQUISH