Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

^burtle posted:

Finished the second Sweet Tooth trade, Lemire is such a great storyteller but gottdamn sometimes his art just transforms into pure ugly.

I love Lemire art. The doodly, ugly aspect of it matches the tone of his writing so perfectly, and can squeeze more emotion and feeling in one framce, one look, than many artists can in a whole book.

Fake Edit: Wow, that is some serious hyperbole.... But what I'm getting at is that his art may be untraditional, but it's drat beautiful in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

^burtle posted:

Finished the second Sweet Tooth trade, Lemire is such a great storyteller but gottdamn sometimes his art just transforms into pure ugly.

I'm with choobs, Lemire's art is great for his stories where everyone has broken hockey player noses and seen-too-much eyes. If he did the art for, say, Seaguy or THUNDER Agents, I'd walk away.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Actually he would kinda be a great artist for Seaguy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Seaguy with Lemire on art would be a very different book.

It would be pretty cool to see Lemire doing art for other stories, because it really does bring its own mood. Final Crisis with Lemire. Darkwing Duck with Lemire.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Every so often I look at Gus, the character, and wonder about Jeff Lemire's son, Gus.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Oh man, did the second Sweet Tooth trade come out while I wasn't looking? That is absolutely on the must-buy list.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Huh.

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2011/01/04/flex-mentallo-is-back/

quote:

If you’re a fan of Grant Morrison (and who isn’t?), you’ll be stoked to know that FLEX MENTALLO will be published in book form this year. This marks the first time the four-issue mini-series written by Morrison and illustrated by artist Frank Quitely is being collected. FLEX MENTALLO sprang out of Grant’s mind bending and infamous run on DOOM PATROL.

Pick up this beautiful Deluxe Edition hardcover with bonus material this Fall.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Thank loving god.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I heard the rumor months ago that Flex was coming back into print. I'm overjoyed that it's official. It's quite possibly the best Morrison/Quitely collaboration ever.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'll believe it when I see it. They promised me Lucifer hardcovers too.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. They promised me Lucifer hardcovers too.

Quitely's already done artwork for the cover (which is why Morrison "didn't announce" that something was being done with Flex at SDCC) and Morrison is one of DC's biggest writers right now.

Wait for The Unwritten to get more of the praise it deserves and we may see the Lucifer hardcovers some day. It wouldn't hurt for Carey to write some mainstream DC too. I'm kind of curious how he feels about the DCU, as I know he's a pretty big X-fan.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Goddamn, Scalped is a brutal read. It makes 100 Bullets look tame and uneventful.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

^burtle posted:

Goddamn, Scalped is a brutal read. It makes 100 Bullets look tame and uneventful.

This reminds me, I really need to pick up the first trade of Scalped. I've been meaning to get into this book for ages and keep putting it off. This, and Northlanders, really. Maybe I'll get the first of both today.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Speaking of brutal: I need to finish Unknown Soldier. Amazing first trade. Don't know why I didn't keep going with it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Neither does the rest of the industry.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
DMZ is good and all, but Unknown Soldier really blows it out of the water.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

The first Unknown Soldier trade was amazing, but the second one was kind of disappointing to me. It's hard to explain, but even after just one arc I felt the series had a certain vibe and the second story moved away from that completely. Different setting and tone, it just wasn't what I was interested in.

Luckily the third one went back to its roots and was fantastic. Really dragged me back and I will definitely be buying the final trade.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

teekun posted:

This reminds me, I really need to pick up the first trade of Scalped. I've been meaning to get into this book for ages and keep putting it off.

Seriously, do this today, then order 2-6 as soon as possible. This is probably my favourite book right now.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

StumblyWumbly posted:

DMZ is good and all, but Unknown Soldier really blows it out of the water.

I like the somewhat journalistic edge Unknown Soldier had. It was great infotainment, and I never gave a poo poo about the LRA's terrorism of Uganda before I read it.

Sucks that it's going down the tubes. Seems like a rushed ending.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I like The Unwritten quite a bit but this team's art seemed way better to me back in the Lucifer days. Pity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GOP posted:

Sucks that it's going down the tubes. Seems like a rushed ending.

Just read the last Air tpb and got the same feeling. While the ending wasn't exactly bad it definitely felt rushed.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

nosophoros posted:

I like The Unwritten quite a bit but this team's art seemed way better to me back in the Lucifer days. Pity.

You might want to go back and take a look at Lucifer again. I felt similarly, at first, but I feel like a lot of the Lucifer art was similar to The Unwritten.

They really need an Eisner at some point, what with all the nominations for Lucifer...

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
You all noticed in the most recent issue that they teased the return of Mr Bun, right? Not sure if I am :yoshi: or not about that - man that was an ANGRY RABBIT.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Jack of Fables had a pretty terrible ending. I see what they were going for, a Looney Tunes like free for all, but eh, it felt gratuitous and not funny.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Just read the last Air tpb and got the same feeling. While the ending wasn't exactly bad it definitely felt rushed.

Air got cancelled, didn't it? I don't think they had originally planned to end it when they did.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.
Air, Unknown Soldier, Greek Street and Madame Xanadu all got canned around the same time, unfortunately. Madame Xanadu was rather underrated, and I enjoyed it much more than Fables post-issue #75. Fables ended for me after the Empire fell.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Witters posted:

Air, Unknown Soldier, Greek Street and Madame Xanadu all got canned around the same time, unfortunately. Madame Xanadu was rather underrated, and I enjoyed it much more than Fables post-issue #75. Fables ended for me after the Empire fell.

Fables ended for me at issue 50 when Snow and Bigby got married, and I had to read about 3 pages of Willingham using Bigby as a proxy to tell me how badass Israel was.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

The Action Man posted:

Fables ended for me at issue 50 when Snow and Bigby got married, and I had to read about 3 pages of Willingham using Bigby as a proxy to tell me how badass Israel was.

I opted out even earlier because I was tired of hearing about Snow and Bigby in general.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Thats a shame because those 2 characters really have taken a major back seat in the last 53 issues.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
This may be a bit of a tangent but while we're praising Mike CareyI might as well mention that his prose novels are pretty good. Not High Literature or anything, but a very compelling and entertaining urban-fantasy-noir setting with interesting characters and stories.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.
Mike Carey's urban-magician Hellblazer run is probably my 2nd favorite after Delano's; Ennis comes a close 3rd. Even though I prefer the down-and-out, working-class, inner-dialogue Constantine, Carey's stories were very interesting and well-crafted. He does a phenomenal job tying up all the different storylines from his arc into a rather satisfying conclusion. There was a bit of intrigue and suspense that I felt was lost during Azzarello's run.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Sick_Boy posted:

This may be a bit of a tangent but while we're praising Mike CareyI might as well mention that his prose novels are pretty good. Not High Literature or anything, but a very compelling and entertaining urban-fantasy-noir setting with interesting characters and stories.

Agreed. For anyone that likes Carey's Hellblazer, the Felix Castor series is worth your time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Witters posted:

Mike Carey's urban-magician Hellblazer run is probably my 2nd favorite after Delano's; Ennis comes a close 3rd. Even though I prefer the down-and-out, working-class, inner-dialogue Constantine, Carey's stories were very interesting and well-crafted. He does a phenomenal job tying up all the different storylines from his arc into a rather satisfying conclusion. There was a bit of intrigue and suspense that I felt was lost during Azzarello's run.

I'd agree with you except switch it around a bit, ennis: 1st (showing what a bastard Constantine can be, show how great his rotating cast is, then have the balls to show what his bastardy can do to them), and Carey 2nd. I still haven't gotten to read Delano's yet (I still haven't read his original run, shame on me).

Milligan's current run is pretty fantastic. Constantine is loving married!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm getting kind of annoyed with American Vampire at the moment. For a few issues now, they have been heavily implying that Henry would die without following through. Either actually kill him or don't keep on trying to make the reader think it is a strong possibility. It gets old pretty quick.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bairfanx posted:

Agreed. For anyone that likes Carey's Hellblazer, the Felix Castor series is worth your time.

If you're looking for prose books to compare it to, Dresden Files is close, but the Castor books are better.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

So I just read Daytripper for the first time, in trade.

God drat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

strangemusic posted:

So I just read Daytripper for the first time, in trade.

God drat.

That was pretty much my reaction the first time I read it in trade. Really a phenomenal work. The emotional resonance of the work was up there with some of Will Eisner's works. What else should I look into if I wanted something similar?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm having a hard time not reading all of Daytripper at once. I want to give each issue some time to soak in so I can think about it.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

The Action Man posted:

I think I totally tuned this out; anyone have a scan of this segment? Please tell me he made a deliberate comparison between the war of survival against the Adversary and Palestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I think I totally tuned this out; anyone have a scan of this segment? Please tell me he made a deliberate comparison between the war of survival against the Adversary and Palestine.

Yep! Bigby even calls it Operation Israel. And the chapter is called The Israel Analogy. Also the Adversary is Palestine.

I WONDER WHAT WILLINGHAM'S POLITICS ARE.

• Locked thread