Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tarnien posted:

No I know how to figure out what the notes should be on paper - I'm saying in terms of finger arrangement. So if I know G is 320003 - from this, is there anyway to know G7 is 320001, without just knowing what G7 is? For instance "Oh, you want to make a major chord into a 7th? Just slide your highest pitch note down 2 frets!" or something similar (but obviously more complicated, I'd imagine).

It's going to be different for each chord shape. You can figure them all out and memorize them though. The CAGED system talks about this some I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well ideally you'd know the 7th is an F, and you'd know where to find an F on the fretboard, so you just throw that in there. Another way would be to find the octave of your root note and drop it two frets instead, or you could probably even drop the root itself in some situations. Guitar chords have a lot of redundancy (320003 has three Gs in it) so you can usually find somewhere to put another note.

Still better to learn a lot of shapes, and learn the notes and where they are on the fretboard - it definitely makes you more musically aware, it's a good habit to get into

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Tarnien posted:

No I know how to figure out what the notes should be on paper - I'm saying in terms of finger arrangement. So if I know G is 320003 - from this, is there anyway to know G7 is 320001, without just knowing what G7 is? For instance "Oh, you want to make a major chord into a 7th? Just slide your highest pitch note down 2 frets!" or something similar (but obviously more complicated, I'd imagine).

For every chord you know, you should also know what function each note you are holding down serves. Taking the Gmaj example, from the lowest string to the highest, you have the: Root (G), Third (B), Fifth (D), Root again (G), Third again (B) and lastly the root again (G). Most seventh chord voicings replace one of the higher roots with a 7th (F in this case). Since you can't shift down on the open G, that leaves you to slide the highest G down to the first fret. Also note the other common phrasing of that chord, 320033, replaces a third (B) with a fifth (D) on the B string.

Thinking of things in this way is useful for other shapes, especially the movable ones. It is also useful for learning the difference between major and minor chords (although they are pretty easy to memorize too). Going from a major chord to a minor one simply involves sliding the 3rd down a fret so that it is a major third as opposed to a minor one. For example, in the x02220 A major chord, the 2 on the B string (C#) is the major third. Moving it down to a minor third (C) gives you A minor: x02210. And if instead you wanted the 7th, you can replace the A on the G string with an open G: x02020. And since that shape is a barre chord you can apply that all over.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I have been trying to dissect my scales and chords a bit more to improve my playing. is it going to be more beneficial for me to learn all the notes in a all the keys or will it be better to learn the different shapes and move them around the fret board ( like where a third and fifth is on the fretboard in relation to the root rather than knowing the note specifically)

What I am currently doing is playing the major scale every way I know on the fretboard and saying each not as I play it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Honestly I think knowing all the notes in keys and chords will be much more beneficial in the long run. Patterns are easy but they can end up a crutch, I basically learned that way and it means I can play a lot of stuff purely by remembering shapes and positions - I don't necessarily know what notes I'm playing, or even chords when it comes to some power chord riffs. You end up locked into doing things a specific way, which is a big problem if you have to vary it (say playing in a different key).

Music is a very broad subject and like anything else you benefit from coming at it from lots of different angles. The more you understand about the subject the more it all seems to fit together - so if you learn the notes of the chords you're playing you'll be able to do cool things like use notes that you know will lead into the next chord. Learn patterns too, but try and learn the notes as well. And saying them out loud is supposed to really help :)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just moved into a small place and had to sell 90% of my gear. I'm left with a Line 6 Pod and I want a somewhat cheap electric that's going to let me get the most out of this little guy :3:

Style Emphasis: metal lead. Bonus Challenge: I'm a sucker for Maple necks.

Point me in the right direction, Goons. I've been out of the game for a long time.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I just moved into a small place and had to sell 90% of my gear. I'm left with a Line 6 Pod and I want a somewhat cheap electric that's going to let me get the most out of this little guy :3:

Style Emphasis: metal lead. Bonus Challenge: I'm a sucker for Maple necks.

Point me in the right direction, Goons. I've been out of the game for a long time.

The Ibanez RG350MDX seems to fit all of those requirements: cheap, metal style, maple neck.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

So how important are the cleaining kits I see advertised for an acoustic guitar? Is there any special cleaning steps I should be taking with it, or any specific cleaning gear that I should use on it?

Edit: I mean other than wiping the guitar down with a dry cloth after use.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 15, 2010

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are long nails necessary for fingerstyle guitar? could this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLhxq1sdf0 be played without them, using the tips of your fingers or something? I really don't like having my nails grown at all.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

smashczar posted:

Are long nails necessary for fingerstyle guitar? could this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLhxq1sdf0 be played without them, using the tips of your fingers or something? I really don't like having my nails grown at all.

You don't need long nails per se. You don't play with your nails. They really only have to just protrude far enough to hit the string as you pluck the string.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

smashczar posted:

You don't want really long nails for fingerstyle, especially if you're playing on a steel-string (unless you also have nails made of steel). What HollisBrown is pretty much the truth.

By the way, if you want a nice song like the one you linked to that's not horribly difficult, check out Angelina by Tommy Emmanuel. He plays it with a flat pick (technically, I think he's using both), but I find it easier to play finger style. It'd be a good song to work toward.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Tarnien posted:

The "formula" if you want to think in these terms is: in a "triad" with two appearances of the tonic, you lower one of them a whole step. You can also get away with lowering the root of a real 3-note triad, though it might not sound as complete on a guitar alone.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Tarnien posted:

heres a different way to think about it, its kind of complicated to explain in writing but if you look at your guitar while doing it it should be pretty easy.

First start with the G Major scale. Count each note as you play it, the one that you hit "7" with is in fact a seventh ( notice the next note would be G again or, the number 8 if your counting, hence octave). You now know that anywhere there is a G the note in the fret beside it is a seventh.

Now lets look at a G7 chord. First what makes a G7? its a R 3 5 b7. So to make a G into G7 we need to make one of the G notes a flat seventh.

Our first "G" is the root and we don't really want to change that( I don't know the technical reasons why, other than it doesn't really sound good and wouldn't really be G chord anymore it would be a G over F I think) our next G in the chord is the 3rd string open , knowing what a 7th looks like on the fret board it makes that 7th not really feasible ( we would have to drop the 5th string,7th fret) so lets move to last G. Looking at our final G( 6th string, 3rd fret) we can see the 7th is in easy access in the 2nd fret and to flatten that is a simple matter of lifting your pink of the 3rd fret and placing your first finger on the first fret. We now have a Root a third a fifth and flat seventh in the chord so its now a G7.

You can do this with any chord as long as you know the notes that make it up
Here now we can do it with a G major Barre Chord and turn it into a G7 barre chord or a G minor barre chord.

G major -> G7 is really easy because looking at it you already have the flat seventh barred, your pinky finger is just playing the G in front of it so by lifting that pinky we now have a G7 ( remember where the seventh/ the flat seventh in the open chord)

G major -> to Gminor is the same idea. a minor chord is just a R b3 5 so looking it our major bar chord our second finger is playing the only "3rd" in the chord and we have the flat third barred already with our first finger so its just a matter of lifting that second finger to make a Gminor.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheGopher posted:

How the gently caress do I make noises like Jack White can? Jesus christ the guy turns the guitar into a noise machine just as well as Tom Morello, only I can understand how Morello can make some of the sounds through feedback, clever toggle switch usage etc. It just seems like Jack White stands there and doesn't do anything obvious but can make the guitar shriek and wail like he's taking a hammer to it. Please somebody enlighten me because it's a loving mystery to me.

Watch It Might Get Loud, that should provide you with a little insight into his attitude and the sounds he makes. Also, revel in how poorly "The Edge" is actually able to play.

edit: that post was farther back in the thread than I thought. oh well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Watch It Might Get Loud, that should provide you with a little insight into his attitude and the sounds he makes. Also, revel in how poorly "The Edge" is actually able to play.

edit: that post was farther back in the thread than I thought. oh well

This was sort of what I was referring to when I mentioned smash your guitar. He appears to really not care to treat his instruments with any sort of care. He plays the hell out of them, wearing them down on purpose to give off a different sound than what might normally come from a pristine guitar. It's really quite cool. Maybe it's just your normal punk rock thing to do, I don't know.

The Edge seemed more obsessed with effects more than anything else. I didn't think he was a poor player, just someone who wanted to use any and every tool available to him to make unique sounds for each song.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2010

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Philthy posted:

The Edge seemed more obsessed with effects more than anything else. I didn't think he was a poor player, just someone who wanted to use any and every tool available to him to make unique sounds for each song.

There's a scene towards the end where they're all sitting around talking about the chord progression of a specific song, and Edge seems to be totally lost.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

The Fool posted:

There's a scene towards the end where they're all sitting around talking about the chord progression of a specific song, and Edge seems to be totally lost.
I'm not the biggest Edge fan, but the only time I can think of is when he realizes that he's been playing the wrong chord, and as I recall, the other two had been, too. You might have noticed something I didn't, though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Any decent guitar discussion sites out there? General, hardware, etc talk.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Well, I've pretty much read this entire thread start to finish. Seems like I'm going to have a huge ton to learn coming up; for my self-gift this season I decided I'd like to pick up the guitar. Got an entry-level Epiphone Les Paul 100 and VOX VT30 as my learners kit.

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. I can't wait.

Edit: My primary motivation is not for lead playing, but for rhythm and lead parts to record down while doing production of music myself. I've done a bit of electronic production and mixing, and have played keys, but have always been afraid of / incompetant at a guitar and thought I should learn to be able to at least be able to handle one. I look forward to sucking for a long time after reading this thread. :downs:

Sniep fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 20, 2010

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Philthy posted:

Any decent guitar discussion sites out there? General, hardware, etc talk.

sevenstring.org seems to have the most consistent activity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Philthy posted:

This was sort of what I was referring to when I mentioned smash your guitar. He appears to really not care to treat his instruments with any sort of care. He plays the hell out of them, wearing them down on purpose to give off a different sound than what might normally come from a pristine guitar. It's really quite cool. Maybe it's just your normal punk rock thing to do, I don't know.

Kinda. Punk is less about technical ability or amazing sounds, so it really doesn't matter if it's in pristine shape because you're probably going to be playing with distortion anyway.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Philthy posted:

I remember reading something, either an interview or a bio on him that mentioned he collects lovely guitars for exactly this reason. And does all sorts of non-standard modifications (or just plain old breaking things) just to see what kinds of sounds will come out. I'll try to find the article.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

I think it has more to do with that deep south blues style he seems to like more than the punk side. Think about the part when he is explaining that song I can't remember the name but its the guy that just claps and sings. He talks about the off-beat clapping and how everything doesn't have to be perfect.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SaucyPants posted:

I think it has more to do with that deep south blues style he seems to like more than the punk side. Think about the part when he is explaining that song I can't remember the name but its the guy that just claps and sings. He talks about the off-beat clapping and how everything doesn't have to be perfect.

That's a son house song, and he talks about it in the docu that I linked earlier.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

I was referencing the documentary

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I have a problem, not sure how to solve it.

I'm currently training myself on switching chords around, and I'm hitting a pretty big wall with D to A. Other chords don't give me problems, but I think my guitar isn't set up right.

If I get onto A chord quickly, I find that the 3rd string buzzes like crazy, even if it's in the middle of the 2nd fret. Other frets don't do this, and it seems to be a problem across the entire 2nd fret.

All of the demonstration videos and images I've seen seem to show that I haven't got my finger too far up the fret, and I'm certainly pressing down hard enough (can barely feel my finger after a while).

Should I go take the thing back to the shop to have them to look it over? There's no reason why I should be having trouble with this when I can switch from D minor to D without issue.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Falken posted:

I have a problem, not sure how to solve it.

I'm currently training myself on switching chords around, and I'm hitting a pretty big wall with D to A. Other chords don't give me problems, but I think my guitar isn't set up right.

If I get onto A chord quickly, I find that the 3rd string buzzes like crazy, even if it's in the middle of the 2nd fret. Other frets don't do this, and it seems to be a problem across the entire 2nd fret.

All of the demonstration videos and images I've seen seem to show that I haven't got my finger too far up the fret, and I'm certainly pressing down hard enough (can barely feel my finger after a while).

Should I go take the thing back to the shop to have them to look it over? There's no reason why I should be having trouble with this when I can switch from D minor to D without issue.

If you're pressing so hard that your finger goes numb you're pressing way too hard. Try switching the positions of your index and middle finer in the A (I'm assuming you're not talking about barres, right?) If you have larger hands it can be difficult to form an A with three straight fingers without something buzzing, either from not getting enough pressure or from you bumping up against it.

Although now that I read it again, if buzzing is a problem all along the fret it seems more like a mechanical issue than a question of technique.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Your finger should ideally be as close to the 2nd fret (the actual second piece of metal) as possible. What you're doing is basically pulling the string taut over the fret itself, so the closer you're pressing the more secure it will be (and the less pressure it'll take to get a clean sound).

So this is only happening with your A chord, and there's no buzzing on the 3rd string when you're fretting a D major or minor? What fingering are you using for the A chord?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
edit: err already explained 2 posts up, thought he was advocating a 2,3,4 approach for some odd reason.

I hold A differently from most people. Number your fingers 1 to 4 starting with your pointer, 4 then being the pinky. Most people do this

e
B 3
G 2
D 1
A
E

I always found that cramped, so I do this

e
B 3
G 1
D 2
A
E

Place the 1 finger down first and then the 2 and the 3 in front of it. Plenty of room. Also, it makes switching to and from a D or an E easy as your first finger is already on the correct string

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2010

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

if your having issues with room try playing A with just your "1" finger. It was how I was taught and it was tricky at first but, like most things, after some practice its fine.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, just barring the chord was how I initially learned it. I've since learned to go back to the proper way because some of the chord changes are easier that way for me. Fourth finger is basically directly on top of the fret, then just cram the rest in with not too much pressure down. Worry about pressure together on the fingers more than down and you should be able to ring it out fine after a lot of practice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well really there's a bunch of ways you can fret it, it all depends on what chord you've come from or are going to, or any variations you want to be able to add, like:

111 barring is pretty fast and handy for slides, and barring with your first finger lets you stretch your pinky to the 4th fret of the high E for a nice Amaj7

123 (I use this most) switches to and from Dm or Dsus2 really well, and you can add the 3rd fret B string for an Asus4 or E string for some A7 colour

213 is similar to 123 (except it's better for Dmaj) and you can easily drop your first finger a fret for an Amaj7

234 leaves your first finger free to play with bass notes on the lower strings (kinda limited for an open A but y'know) and allows quick switches to and from Am. Also leaves you ready to slide up a bar chord if you fret them this way

and so on!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for acoustic songs that you consider fun to play without singing? I find myself skipping around a lot between songs because I only like the way the intro sounds while the rest of the song is just good when paired with the vocals.

I just learned this song yesterday, but it's in CGCEGC tuning and not standard, which is what I'm looking for. Still addicting to play though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRys9DAx90Q

Alternatively, feel free to tell me to suck it up and learn a whole song all the way through even if 90% of it is Am C G D variations :)

Sewer Cartographer
Aug 23, 2003
i like to watch.....stuff
What's the best way to train your ear?

The most common comment I hear is that I should train my ear while I'm still new to guitar and not rely too much on tabs, except its really daunting to take on a full song at my level.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what notes should sound on their own.

I can't really just strum a note and guess because I'll know what note I'm playing.

Anachronasty
Apr 11, 2010

Sewer Cartographer posted:

The most common comment I hear is that I should train my ear while I'm still new to guitar and not rely too much on tabs, except its really daunting to take on a full song at my level.

I can't really just strum a note and guess because I'll know what note I'm playing.
Knowing how the different intervals sound like is more useful. It's probably much easier than learning how a certain note sounds like, as well.

If you already know where the notes are on the fretboard, knowing what the intervals sound like will really, really help you a lot.

This is a great site for learning intervals:

http://www.8notes.com/school/theory/musictheory/files/trainers/html/id90_en.html

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Justin Guitar has some good ear training lessons, which have helped me out a bit.

http://justinguitar.com/en/AU-000-AuralTraining.php

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Sewer Cartographer posted:

use your voice. Play a note on the guitar and try to sing intervals above and below it. You also don't have to use "songs" per se, just anything with music. Maybe try to figure out the first few bars of a Mozart violin part or a Miles Davis trumpet solo. It's also good practice just to figure out random music on the fly; when I watch TV with the guitar in hand I'll try to figure out commercial songs before the commercial is over.

also, https://www.teoria.com. https://www.good-ear.com and https://www.iwasdoingallright.com

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
I received an electric guitar today.I've read about theory and posture in the past few weeks so I set out to try and tune it manually. (Haven't bought a tuner yet). I'm noticing that I'm pressing down on the strings too hard and often mute it. Any advice for this? Specifically, I tuned the open lower E to an mp3 and when I try to press on the 5th fret to make it sound like an open A I tend to mute it completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Rothgil posted:

I received an electric guitar today.I've read about theory and posture in the past few weeks so I set out to try and tune it manually. (Haven't bought a tuner yet). I'm noticing that I'm pressing down on the strings too hard and often mute it. Any advice for this? Specifically, I tuned the open lower E to an mp3 and when I try to press on the 5th fret to make it sound like an open A I tend to mute it completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try pressing down further towards the next fret, as close as you can get. (That is, towards the body of the guitar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been a fan of the Jackson necks with the sharktooth design for whatever reason. I noticed this over at Guitarfetish. I currently have an ESP LTD M-10 starter guitar that I've swapped some SD pickups in and I'm enjoying it for what it is. I was thinking of getting this neck and some tuners and basically turn this into my beginner/build guitar.

Would this just bolt right in place of my current neck? Current is bolted on with 4. This looks the same.

Current guitar does not have a Floyd Rose, it's just a string through body. Would that even matter? I have no idea what a Floyd Rose nut really is.. Does that just mean it's a locking nut? Shouldn't really matter, should it?

Any comments about this idea I'm banging around?

I've been looking for my second guitar, and I've tried so many with not much luck. So in the mean time I'm just modding my current one until I find "the one".

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 25, 2010