Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Second pop quiz: what's the filing date of a national stage filed 30 months after a PCT application when they forgot to file an oath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Second pop quiz: what's the filing date of a national stage filed 30 months after a PCT application when they forgot to file an oath?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
It's happening gents, student loans are coming due. (private loans from my undergrad days)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

I've cited Something Awful before as a reference because I'm just that lazy and I knew that it was prior art.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I've cited Something Awful before as a reference because I'm just that lazy
please tell me this is a published application

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Elotana posted:

1. Be a nerd under the age of 30 who can intelligently construct search strings based on unique phrases, if you are old or not a computer nerd ask one to help you (they don't need to know anything about patents or whatever)
So this actually works? When I read they literally let you search the MPEP during the patent bar I couldn't figure out why anyone would ever fail it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

Holy crap your firm is wasting a lot of money

This turned out to be accurate! Here's how you pass the patent bar y'all (Linguica put this in the OP):

1. Be a nerd under the age of 30 who can intelligently construct search strings based on unique phrases, if you are old or not a computer nerd ask one to help you (they don't need to know anything about patents or whatever)

2. Download the MPEP (individual PDFs for each chapter) and Acrobat 5 (it's what Prometric uses) and make your screen resolution tiny so your interface will be similar to what it is on the exam
3. Go here and spend a few hours walking through the 2003 repeats so you can be :smugdog: and answer instantly when they give you a recognizable repeat question, this will also get you familiar with what to search for each subject

4. Take the patent bar: Congratulations you've passed!

Note the complete absence of "prep course" or "patent electives" or even "knowing jack poo poo about law and/or engineering" in this method.
Yep. Took it and passed at the end of my 1L summer after doing essentially this.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

please tell me this is a published application

applications publish before we typically get our hands on them, so it'd have to issue as a patent to get on the face

spoiler: it is a patent

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlyFrog posted:

No, no (but by our choice, given that I make more than enough to feed the family, she is actually currently self-studying to start off a career as a professional), and hell no. Two chicks at one time - cool. Two dicks at one time (or two dicks spaced apart in time) - not cool.

You misunderstand - I am proposing that your wife marry/support myself and my wife. You are no longer in the picture in this utopian vision.

Scotch: when picking for someone else, it's crucial to know if they can handle/like peaty stuff. If so: Lagavulin or Laphroig or Talisker. If not, I am partial to Balvenie and Highland Park.

Re: Blended Scotch: I haven't found one I like yet, but I've heard that good ones exist.

Now, off to bed until 2:40 am for the eclipse!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

is hosting an image off of google considered leeching? i'm going to guess no when they have the image url linker right there on the page

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Oh my god that is dogshit, speaking as a Former Moderator™ those claims are 103 as fuuuuuuck

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
go file a reexam then fucko

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: nm

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yall talkin chinese up in this bitch

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I tee em up, you hit em out, kid

phil with it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yall talkin chinese up in this bitch

1. some dude tried to patent the idea of a forum with flexible rules
2. b.o. shot it down, citing to SA as evidence that it been done before
3. elotana pointin' out that is some obvious poo poo, an observation that is also obvious, which should be obvious to anyooooooohhh poo poo recursive loop he;lp

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So that's actually one of Baruch's files and he cited SA? Hahaha

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

From my fbook paper:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

phil with it

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Defleshed posted:

And by contrast here there are public high schools like Oak Park/River Forest and New Trier where they have plenty of money from all the rich people with families who live in the neighborhood and seem to never vote down a property tax increase. Those are some pretty awesome public schools.

Of course there are plenty of Chicago Public High Schools ten miles away where the kids write with sticks dipped in shoe polish and the toilets haven't flushed since the Carter administration, too...
Yeah, I keep thinking of New Trier in reading this conversation. I don't think there is a better private school in the Chicago area.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also they filmed the breakfast club there (in the gym, i think?)

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
This oddity ended up in the inboxes of every person at our firm today. Further investigation shows that it in fact went out to every person who is on a private email discussion list for attorneys in our practice area.

I'm curious to see if it works. The partners here were mostly confused by it, and by the tone of familiarity. My dad just assumed it was someone I knew and that he had perhaps met but couldn't remember.

I have a friend who is a 3L at UHLC; I am going to ask him if he knows this chick, and to give her a point value on the 1-10 crazy scale.

Cortina fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 21, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Cortina posted:

This oddity ended up in the inboxes of every person at our firm today. Further investigation shows that it in fact went out to every person who is on a private email discussion list for attorneys in our practice area.

I'm curious to see if it works. The partners here were mostly confused by it, and by the tone of familiarity. My dad just assumed it was someone I knew and that he had perhaps met but couldn't remember.

A gutsy move. Will it work? (no)

I can tell by the tone of the "release" and the picture that she is one of those people with very average capabilities who nevertheless think extremely highly of themselves.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Defleshed posted:

I can tell by the tone of the "release" and the picture that she is one of those people with very average capabilities who nevertheless think extremely highly of themselves.

You mean the vast majority of people in the US?

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

Cortina posted:

I have a friend who is a 3L at UHLC; I am going to ask him if he knows this chick, and to give her a point value on the 1-10 crazy scale.

Shouldn't you leave your GPA off your resume if it's a 3.03?

PatrickKilpatrick fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 21, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement.

I graduated from the University of Houston Law Center and the University's Bauer College of Business on Friday. And, although UH Law does not have graduation ceremonies in the fall, I did receive the Dean's Excellence Award at my MBA graduation.

They say a graduate has a diploma for a sail and lots of nerve for oars. Maybe it is a bit nervy to write to keep everyone informed, and to request your help moving forward. But, I do not want to settle. I want meaningful work dealing with real estate rights and remedies. And, I doubt you want someone in your organization who would settle.

I hate this. It is distracting.

Edit: She has a link to "her book" - which is really a link to a vanity publishing website where she is hawking a book based on her one year teaching English in Japan. :laffo:

entris fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 21, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

MoFauxHawk posted:

You mean the vast majority of people in the US?

Except you and me, right? :hfive:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

She shows the sort of innovative thinking that is so often looked down upon in the practice of law. Some smart law firm will snatch her up and reap the rewards.

If biglaw isn't ready for her, maybe she'll just take down biglaw.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Hahahaha, there is a link to buy her book about being white and living in Japan in there, low low price of $56! Better snap that up, too bad it is too late to get it shipped in time for Christmas!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gohuskies posted:

Hahahaha, there is a link to buy her book about being white and living in Japan in there, low low price of $56! Better snap that up, too bad it is too late to get it shipped in time for Christmas!

Holy christ I did not notice the pricetag on that. That must be an incredible book, full of penetrating insight into Japanese culture, and written with a clear and enjoyable style that takes us on a fantastic voyage.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

Holy christ I did not notice the pricetag on that. That must be an incredible book, full of penetrating insight into Japanese culture, and written with a clear and enjoyable style that takes us on a fantastic voyage.

Is... is that a photo of her at the bottom dressed as a geisha?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Shouldn't you leave your GPA off your resume if it's a 3.03?

I don't understand this thinking. Do you think someone is going to see a resume without someone's poo poo GPA on it and go "hmm, this guy left his GPA off. It's probably because he's got great grades but is very modest. Let's bring him in!"

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Cortina posted:

She's cute and interested in fitness and nutrition. Hire her.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 22, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Also honestly she speaks Japanese, which is a more useful skill than 90% of law grads have. Of course, I'm not sure Houston law firms are the best place to market that skill, but still.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MaximumBob posted:

I don't understand this thinking. Do you think someone is going to see a resume without someone's poo poo GPA on it and go "hmm, this guy left his GPA off. It's probably because he's got great grades but is very modest. Let's bring him in!"

I would imagine that any inference a recruiter might draw is better than admitting that you're in the bottom quartile.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

Good point. I just think I would leave it a mystery if I was below median. Not like I would get hired either way, I just wouldn't put it front and center like that.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

BigHead posted:

I would imagine that any inference a recruiter might draw is better than admitting that you're in the bottom quartile.

I think the only inference to be drawn from a resume without a GPA is "this person has bad grades."

smoke detector
Feb 14, 2008
oh hi!

MaximumBob posted:

I think the only inference to be drawn from a resume without a GPA is "this person has bad grades."

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at things, especially since some law schools do not allow students to put GPAs on their resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

smoke detector posted:

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at things, especially since some law schools do not allow students to put GPAs on their resumes.

Are these law schools anyone should be hiring from?

e: Seriously, I'd like to know how a law school can possibly defend that policy. If you're not giving letter grades that's one thing, but if you are and you don't let students put GPAs on their resumes I don't see that as remotely defensible.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 21, 2010