Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

ddogflex posted:

Just get the official beta, they accept everyone instantly now.

That doesn't work, unfortunately. If you try to use the Swype installer on an Evo it refuses to work, and only pops up a message saying it comes with the most recent OTA update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

diegetic poster posted:

That doesn't work, unfortunately. If you try to use the Swype installer on an Evo it refuses to work, and only pops up a message saying it comes with the most recent OTA update.

Wait, what? Swype comes with the Evo now? Edit: Holy poo poo it does. Hope Fresh and the like bundle it in.

Also, I got into the official beta and installed it just fine on my rooted / Fresh Evo.

Edit two: gently caress me I'm out of date, it's in Fresh 3.5.0.1.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, I got into the official beta and installed it just fine on my rooted / Fresh Evo.
The closed beta didn't have that limitation, but now anyone can download it... except for people using Evo's with unofficial firmware.

quote:

Edit two: gently caress me I'm out of date, it's in Fresh 3.5.0.1.

Not too out of date, Fresh 3.5 was just released today.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I noticed the release date after I edited :)

Weird thing is I was able to get into the official beta, uninstall my less-than-official Swype, and install the new one from the beta on 3.4.0.1 with zero issues (other than the fact that the installer made me remove the old one first).

chef
Nov 18, 2001
Should I be worried about installing to the latest OTA evo software update? I am rooted now and remember hearing some noise about the last time bricking people's phones. Is there a specific recommended procedure?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chef posted:

Should I be worried about installing to the latest OTA evo software update? I am rooted now and remember hearing some noise about the last time bricking people's phones. Is there a specific recommended procedure?

When you change your recover image (clockwork, ra-amon) it makes it so that you cannot install ota updates.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Protip: If you aren't wiping your phone between whatever ROM you have now and Fresh 3.5.0.1, uninstall Swype before you flash :downs:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

My phone died last night. When I plugged it in, it launched the setup app. The setup app, Swype, and LauncerPro are force closing, I have to use ADW. A ton of application data is gone -- Facebook, TweetDeck, Cyanogen's anonymous statistics icon is back in the bar, so on and so forth. What the poo poo is happening to my phone? I'm on an Incredible running Cyanogenmod 6.1.0 RC2.

edit: all sorts of poo poo is loving force closing. BatteryTime, Titanium Backup, AppBrain, and Google Reader. nobody told me that when you rooted that your phone would randomly self destruct out of loving nowhere
edit2: random apps are missing. dialerone, angry birds. some contacts are missing. sd card appears in filesystem, maybe it's corrupted though?
edit3: notification ringtone randomly changed to 'Calypso Steel'

zorch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 22, 2010

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love Wifi Tether. It was a little confusing that it was in the market, since I had to install a totally different version to get it working on my EVO. Stuck in the loving Phoenix airport yesterday, their wifi was not working at all, so I installed Wifi Tether and was happily browsing for a few hours while a few other travelers were asking how I got the wifi to work.

Then I used it at my dad's house to supplement his satellite internet.

Now I'm downloading Fresh 3.5.0.1 using it rather than paying $5 per day for hotel internet. Hopefully my upgrade to Fresh goes well, because if not I will lose internet access :(.

post-update edit: I finished flashing the radios and PRI at my work's holiday party. Everything went fine. No data wipe, no FCs in GMail or the Market. I luckily skipped the Fresh 3.5 donor betas which had some mild issues, so 3.4.whatever to 3.5.0.1 was painless. The reboot option in the power menu is nice, and the wifi/data/gps/etc toggles in the notification pulldown are great. I can drop SwitchPro from my homescreen now, but probably won't because I'm running out of stuff to keep on it.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 22, 2010

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Can someone explain what ABD Access is? That site is great about telling me how to do it, and bad at telling me what it is...

Casao posted:

The problem is, for $20 more, you could get one from an actual tablet maker, with a better processor, that's not slow as poo poo. I've been waiting for the Archos tablets to get back in stock, cause both are <$300 and beat the Nook Color in a lot of ways.

The Nook runs an 800mhz processor, (I've seen the Argos 70 listed as 600mhz and 1ghz, not sure which is right) doing fullscreen video, tons of android functionality, and games like Angry Birds with no lag whatsoever. Not sure where you are getting the whole "slow as poo poo" thing from. Everything I've seen and read has said the nook is actually quite fast, nevermind quite fast for $250.

zarg fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 22, 2010

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

zarg posted:

Can someone explain what ABD Access is? That site is great about telling me how to do it, and bad at telling me what it is...

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html

quote:

Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a versatile tool lets you manage the state of an emulator instance or Android-powered device. It is a client-server program that includes three components:

A client, which runs on your development machine. You can invoke a client from a shell by issuing an adb command. Other Android tools such as the ADT plugin and DDMS also create adb clients.
A server, which runs as a background process on your development machine. The server manages communication between the client and the adb daemon running on an emulator or device.
A daemon, which runs as a background process on each emulator or device instance.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

So does that mean it lets me run Android Marketplace Apps without getting them through the android marketplace? Few too many unknown acronyms in there for me!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

zarg posted:

So does that mean it lets me run Android Marketplace Apps without getting them through the android marketplace? Few too many unknown acronyms in there for me!
You can install applications if you have their .apk files.

Or you can install the market if you can find the apk for that, more than likely.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

Rohaq posted:

You can install applications if you have their .apk files.

Or you can install the market if you can find the apk for that, more than likely.

XDA would have me believe that you can indeed do both of those things on the nook. Do I *need* ABD to set up the marketplace then? If I can skip the (comparatively) complicated ABD setup and just use apps I purchase legitimately through the Android Marketplace I'd honestly rather do that. Supporting the industry and all.

But if I need ABD to install the marketplace then I'll need to take a closer look at the setup steps.

edit: Pffft the steps are not even that bad. I just got scared by all the code boxes, but everything sounds really simple. I'll probably just do it either way since it's so straight forward.

zarg fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 22, 2010

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I rooted my HTC Desire a while ago and have the ClockworkMod Bootloader on it. HTC have just released an OTA update that fails to install after the phone has booted.

To install it, would I have to replace the bootloader?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pissflaps posted:

I rooted my HTC Desire a while ago and have the ClockworkMod Bootloader on it. HTC have just released an OTA update that fails to install after the phone has booted.

To install it, would I have to replace the bootloader?

Wait 20 mins, and someone will have a rooted versions avil off xda.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

zarg posted:

The Nook runs an 800mhz processor, (I've seen the Argos 70 listed as 600mhz and 1ghz, not sure which is right) doing fullscreen video, tons of android functionality, and games like Angry Birds with no lag whatsoever. Not sure where you are getting the whole "slow as poo poo" thing from. Everything I've seen and read has said the nook is actually quite fast, nevermind quite fast for $250.

I think I'm confusing performance reports for the Nook with the Nook Color. It actually looks pretty good for $250, so I might just pick one up when I get paid.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a 2.2 rooted Droid. Last night I got a low phone memory message. I moved some apps to the SD card to free up space. Nothing important (or so I thought). This morning when I turned on my phone, it's stuck booting. It just goes back and forth between the glowing eye and the "DROID" logo. What should I do? :ohdear:

EDIT: I was able to access the ClockworkMod recovery console by holding X and Power when I put the battery in.

Should I try reapplying the update.zip that's on the SD card? It's an old copy of BB when 2.2 came out.

the fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 22, 2010

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
gently caress, my HTC Desire had an unfortunate encounter with a lot of water and now is half-dead. It randomly reboots,takes 5 minutes to boot, and I can't use wifi/mobile network. Trying to see what I could do, I reset the device (a mistake I guess). Now I am wondering how I can install new programs on it (don't have an app to install from SD and can't get online) :\ I just rooted it, I guess maybe underclocking the HTC will allow it to work?

EDIT : Wait I think I can do this via the android SDK yay!

EDIT 2 : drat, is there a way to install RomManager and the mods offline? I install rom manager via sdk but then it wants to access the internet to download the mods...

LastCaress fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I fixed the problem in my above post.

However I've now found myself rooted and on 2.1 firmware.

Can I install the new BB with Rom Manager? i.e. just copy it onto the SD card and find it in ROM Manager?

Also, I lost all my apps, but my SD card is still full of all of their files. Is there some way I can just clear all the extra crap off the SD card?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

the posted:

I fixed the problem in my above post.

However I've now found myself rooted and on 2.1 firmware.

Can I install the new BB with Rom Manager? i.e. just copy it onto the SD card and find it in ROM Manager?

Also, I lost all my apps, but my SD card is still full of all of their files. Is there some way I can just clear all the extra crap off the SD card?

If you don't have any apps, then just delete the folders off the SD card.

CM6 is the best ROM these days for the Droid 1 from what I've heard in this thread. You might want to try that instead.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I updated to the latest Cyanogen. How do I install Gapps?

the fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 22, 2010

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
While I'm waiting for a Gingerbread Cyanogen release, I decided to update to Fresh 3.5.0.1. I'm digging the power controls in the notification bar, and have already customized them to suit my needs (Wifi, 4G, Airplane, Brightness, Flashlight, Sound). That thing alone has let me free up a good bit of space that I now get to try to organize.

Interestingly, this gave me the opportunity to go back to the vanilla froyo keyboard. I had tried Swype again, and it's definitely better than when I first tried it, but I still find it too cumbersome to use regularly. I had flashed the gingerbread keyboard previously, but that was giving me some unusual trouble (word prediction misbehaving and the like). Updating to Fresh 3.5.0.1 wiped all that out and let me simply reinstall the 2.2 keyboard APK I had.

Unrelated question.... if I make a backup inside of LauncherPro, then flash the new CM ROM when it's available, can I simply restore that backup once I've reinstalled LauncherPro and all my widgets? Or are the backups somehow ROM-dependent (meaning I can only restore on the same ROM I backed up from)?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
LauncherPro isn't ROM-dependent afaik but you won't be able to restore any of your widgets (except LP ones), just your icons and settings.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

the posted:

I updated to the latest Cyanogen. How do I install Gapps?

you know it's directly on the topic for whatever your phone is.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/11455-cyanogenmod-61-for-nexus-one-v611-12152010/

INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM 6 to your Nexus (or coming from another ROM)?
1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager or Amon_RA's recovery image
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Update your radio if necessary
4. WIPE
5. Install the ROM
5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM6?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

Casao posted:

I think I'm confusing performance reports for the Nook with the Nook Color. It actually looks pretty good for $250, so I might just pick one up when I get paid.

Yeah they look really solid for the price. Really excited to get mine tonight. I'll report back once I've rooted it and let you know how stuff like tethering to an iphone works, and how netflix goes over wifi, as those are 2 things I'm eager to test. Also going to work on getting some sort of doc editing going on 2.1, if that's possible. Froyo has been released for the Nook, (yesterday) but I'm sticking with 2.1 until 2.2 is more stable, so my tests will be on 2.1.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I want to upgrade my Droid X running Tranquility 3.0 on the .315 update to the .340 update that keeps notifying me, and update to Tranquility 3.6.0 while I'm at it.

Tried restoring a backup I had when I was rooted on stock ROM - won't restore it. Just reboots whenever it tries to restore.

Tried finding a stock 2.2 rom for the Droid X - I'm not having any luck. If one exists, could someone show me where to download it and if it would be safe to install it with ROM Manager?

In the mean time I tried SBFing, but RSD Lite can't see my Droid X on either of my computers. Any ideas?

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

yamdankee posted:

Tried finding a stock 2.2 rom for the Droid X - I'm not having any luck. If one exists, could someone show me where to download it and if it would be safe to install it with ROM Manager?

In the mean time I tried SBFing, but RSD Lite can't see my Droid X on either of my computers. Any ideas?

I've been having similar issues trying to get my girlfriend's X from the leaked froyo to the OTA updates. Keep getting a "(0x7100) phone is connected" error every time I try.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

If you don't have any apps, then just delete the folders off the SD card.

CM6 is the best ROM these days for the Droid 1 from what I've heard in this thread. You might want to try that instead.

If CM6 isn't feeling right, Smoked Glass & apparently Bugless Beast 0.6.1 are apparently asskickers in their own right. I went from CM 6.1.2 to Smoked Glass v11 and I've got no reason to move back.

yamdankee posted:

Are you using RSDLite 4.8?

BLOG THAT SHIT
Sep 27, 2006

Nothing to see here.
I hope I didn't make to big of a mistake here. I have the latest Fresh Rom on my Evo. I ran the Fresh updater and ran the update for the new radio. I was using Clockwork recovery and now I'm stuck with the exclamation point in a triangle. I haven't done anything else with it yet. Any suggestions?

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

BLOG THAT poo poo posted:

I hope I didn't make to big of a mistake here. I have the latest Fresh Rom on my Evo. I ran the Fresh updater and ran the update for the new radio. I was using Clockwork recovery and now I'm stuck with the exclamation point in a triangle. I haven't done anything else with it yet. Any suggestions?

Fresh likes to use Amon Ra recovery, and your phone probably has Clockwork Mod on it. Pull the battery and then turn the phone back on, and it should boot as normal. Use Rom Manager to either install the Fresh update zip (should be in /download) or flash Amon Ra and then run the Fresh updater again.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ProjektorBoy posted:

Are you using RSDLite 4.8?

Affirmative.

BLOG THAT SHIT
Sep 27, 2006

Nothing to see here.

vinnie1023 posted:

Fresh likes to use Amon Ra recovery, and your phone probably has Clockwork Mod on it. Pull the battery and then turn the phone back on, and it should boot as normal. Use Rom Manager to either install the Fresh update zip (should be in /download) or flash Amon Ra and then run the Fresh updater again.

Thanks a bunch, I rebooted it and its back to the way it was. Maybe I'll bother with that later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy posted:

If CM6 isn't feeling right, Smoked Glass & apparently Bugless Beast 0.6.1 are apparently asskickers in their own right. I went from CM 6.1.2 to Smoked Glass v11 and I've got no reason to move back.

I just want to chime in and say if given the option I would install something like Bugless Beast just because of how awesome the name is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TeamDouche is taunting bout CM7 on Twitter :( Hopefully we'll see a nightly or something soon.

New MIUI tomorrow, they released some screenshots of updated UI - it's even more iPhone like, but it's nice. No idea when that part will hit, hopefully tomorrow. New Lockscreen looks great.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I think the colour scheme makes it better than the iPhone.

Also, have you seen the UI for the m9? It's probably one of the best android theme out there.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ragingsheep posted:

I think the colour scheme makes it better than the iPhone.

Also, have you seen the UI for the m9? It's probably one of the best android theme out there.

The color scheme on the new stuff is the same as the iPhone.

The psuedo-changelog:

quote:

- New Gallery app is confirmed (Marked as BETA so dont complain)

- FC issue with setting Mobile Internet limit and warning in Monitor app. Now accepts MB as well as M for chine (Thanks for fixing this devs)

- Password protect MMS / SMS and Phone call logs and numbers

- New global search function

- Remote control headphone fix - answer phone when pressing button and track control via buttons on headphone controls.

Some other things to expect:

- Save MMS media to gallery to be re-introduced (thanks for acknowledging this devs)
- Mms timestamp possible solution this week
- Mms Enter key for main application to be re-introduced (thanks to the developers for adding this back in!)
- Other optimisations unconfirmed

PS.

I am not sure about the status of the new UI but I wouldn't get excited for it arriving tomorrow, I'd rather they took some time to get this one right. If I get any word back on my query on this I will of course break the news here.

So, new gallery (could be cool), bug fixes, probably no new UI.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Just hoping someone can help Rye Bread and myself out. RSD Lite just doesn't see the Droid X. I don't have to use it, though.

Simply, all I want to do is install the .340 update and update to Tranquility 3.6.0, too. I'm running Tranquility 3.0 right now. I can't restore my backup for some reason.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
How is MIUIs facebook integration? Thinking primarily about contact pictures. New lock screen looks good, so maybe MIUI is what will finally make me ditch sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Flyndre posted:

How is MIUIs facebook integration? Thinking primarily about contact pictures. New lock screen looks good, so maybe MIUI is what will finally make me ditch sense.

It's AOSP's facebook integration. What, exactly, are you looking for from it?