Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Cwapface posted:

I'm Australian too, and Pulp Fiction is one of the better BDs I own out of 20 or so. Sure beats the poo poo out of The Dark Knight.
No Blu-Ray with PAL speedup is a 'good' BD. :colbert:

Sadly the HK/French and Polish discs still have PAL pitch at 1080p speed, which only leaves the Danish release which doesn't look quite as good due to some weird postprocessing/scratch filtering (which isn't as visible in motion, but is still there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I didn't know Michael Shannon was in King of Kings.

Thanks.

Now all I've been doing the last 10 minutes is picturing Jesus talking like Steven Wright.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Soylent Green March 29th

the Blu-Ray will be made out of people

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the entire package is green like the hulk.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MPI/Severin are planning on releasing Richard Rush's The Stunt Man soon.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Best Buy is advertising a few pretty good prices for the week after Christmas.

$12.99 each
The A-Team
The Expendables
The Others Guys

$19.99 each
The Office Season 6
Supernatural Season 5

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/brownlow/part_1/index.htm

Kevin Brownlow confirms Abel Gance's Napoleon is in the works for DVD and Blu. However, it looks like the priority is an upgrade of the 4-hour cut with Carmine Coppola's score. Not a gigantic deal breaker since a lot of the time difference is frame speed (20 fps vs. 24 fps) and a subplot that even Gance was OK with deleting. The BFI has been working on a 2K scan of the 5 1/2 hr. cut for some time.

I really wish Brownlow would get It Happened Here prepped for a Blu release since it looks like a fascinating movie. I'm surprised the interviewer didn't bring that up since the DVDs are all out of print.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I saw To Live and Die in LA at Wal-Mart for $8.

Never seen the movie but I'm contemplating going back and making a blind buy. Should I do it?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Never seen the movie but I'm contemplating going back and making a blind buy. Should I do it?
It's occasionally mired in 80's movie cliches (synth-heavy soundtrack, bizarre hair and fashion styles), but it is definitely worth the $8. It's stark, very tightly edited, has excellent photography and direction, violence that is fairly brutal (especially for an 80's film), a very long, tense and nervy car chase scene, and some genuinely surprising plot twists; plus it has a neat primer on how to make counterfeit money.

EDIT:
Blu Ray looks pretty drat good, too.

Green Vulture fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 22, 2010

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

One of the best blindbuys I've ever made. William Petersen is so drat good in this movie; and the actual bluray itself is top notch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's a a really good movie.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

FitFortDanga posted:

Soylent Green March 29th

the Blu-Ray will be made out of people

You know, I should have seen it coming, but somehow I didn't.

I'm contemplating getting the Deadwood Blu Ray set - can anyone here confirm whether or not it's that much better than the DVD?

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

Unzip and Attack posted:

You know, I should have seen it coming, but somehow I didn't.

I'm contemplating getting the Deadwood Blu Ray set - can anyone here confirm whether or not it's that much better than the DVD?

It's infinitely better than the DVD version. Easily one of the best looking blu ray's I've seen, not to mention the very nice packaging. I believe best buy is selling it for 50% off which is the best price for the set since release. Get it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks everyone!

Just bought it and hope to watch it tomorrow or Friday.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks everyone!

Just bought it and hope to watch it tomorrow or Friday.

Can you give us a review afterwards? If it's awesome, I might do a blind buy as well.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Can you give us a review afterwards? If it's awesome, I might do a blind buy as well.

It is indeed awesome, and at $8 there's no reason to avoid it. Also one of the better-looking 80's films on BD.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Red posted:

If you like The French Connection, it's basically an 80's version of that, and almost just as good. William Petersen is such an underrated actor. He really should have had a bigger film career, but he just didn't want it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Red posted:

Three words: Wang Chung Soundtrack.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Kentucky Shark posted:

If you like The French Connection, it's basically an 80's version of that, and almost just as good. William Petersen is such an underrated actor. He really should have had a bigger film career, but he just didn't want it.

The dude turned down pretty big parts in 'Heat' and 'Platoon' and doesn't seem all that bothered about it. They say it about a lot of actors (Billy Crudup is the same) but he seems to look at Movies as a way to make money and pay the bills, and after the boatloads of CSI money he made I'll be surprised if we see him on screen much anymore (He only has one film coming up, and that's the only thing he's done since CSI - to be fair through it has a great cast, and it's directed by Tony Kaye who's worked on tons of CSI episodes).

He had two of the best performances in the 80's (Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA) but man he's been phoning in CSI for years. It's weird to watch him actively get bored as each Season goes on.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

The dude turned down pretty big parts in 'Heat' and 'Platoon' and doesn't seem all that bothered about it. They say it about a lot of actors (Billy Crudup is the same) but he seems to look at Movies as a way to make money and pay the bills, and after the boatloads of CSI money he made I'll be surprised if we see him on screen much anymore (He only has one film coming up, and that's the only thing he's done since CSI - to be fair through it has a great cast, and it's directed by Tony Kaye who's worked on tons of CSI episodes).

He had two of the best performances in the 80's (Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA) but man he's been phoning in CSI for years. It's weird to watch him actively get bored as each Season goes on.

Yeah that's what I was referring to with my comment - from what I've read, he just seems to prefer smaller roles and doing stage work. I don't blame him at all for wanting that, it's just because he is so talented and had leading man looks back in the 80s/90s that I think he would have had a pretty huge career if he had wanted to go that route.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fear was a campy average movie and Petersen loving owned it

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Les vacances de M. Hulot reviewed

Gives me high hopes for the eventual Criterion release... plus, two versions of the film. Yay!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Universal is jumping on the bandwagon with double movie packs.

These are the only two worth mentioning.

$18.99 - March 22nd

Jet Li's Fearless & Unleashed - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GXKBGK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GXKBGK
Friday Night Lights & Express - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GXKBF6?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GXKBF6

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Fear was a campy average movie and Petersen loving owned it

Fear was an awesome movie! At least when I was 11

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Fear was an awesome movie! At least when I was 11

It doesn't hold up as well, but it's really good for what it is. It could've easily been absolutely horrible but was saved 100% by the three main actors.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Say...weren't there supposed to be Looney Toons sets released this year?

This is like last Christmas where I realized all of those Miramax titles that were announced were nowhere to be seen :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon pricematched Best Buy early

$12.99

The A-Team (+ digital copy + Amazon VOD) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004856SQ8?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004856SQ8
The Expendables (+ DVD + digital copy) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZG99A4?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002ZG99A4

The Other Guys also dropped to $12.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045ODPLI?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0045ODPLI

Captain Charisma posted:

Say...weren't there supposed to be Looney Toons sets released this year?

This is like last Christmas where I realized all of those Miramax titles that were announced were nowhere to be seen :(

I thought the Looney Toons sets were just a rumor?

Also I can't wait for that new company to open the Miramax floodgates. They have so much good stuff.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 24, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I remember there was somebody inside WB who said they were looking at doing Looney Toons on BD, but there was never anything definitive.

Great price on those 3 movies - grabbed The A-Team and The Other Guys at that price.

Wild Target Feb. 8
The Man From Nowhere Mar. 8
Platoon is being released in the UK May 16

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story is on sale for $62.49 at Barnes and Noble. You can get it down closer to $50 with various discounts.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/America-Lost-and-Found-The-BBS-Story/e/715515064415/?itm=1&USRI=america+lost+found

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

Wild Target Feb. 8

Yes

Bambi posted:

The Man From Nowhere Mar. 8

Yesss

Bambi posted:

Platoon is being released in the UK May 16

Yesssssss

Bambi posted:

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story is on sale for $62.49 at Barnes and Noble. You can get it down closer to $50 with various discounts.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/America-Lost-and-Found-The-BBS-Story/e/715515064415/?itm=1&USRI=america+lost+found

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Anyone who's looking for a good multi-region player: I've been hearing a lot of good things about Best Buy's Insignia NS-2BRDVD2. It's extremely easy to change the region coding - all you have to do is type in a code via the remote. It plays PAL content, and unlike the Sherwood, you can update the player's firmware without sacrificing the multi-region capability. It also has built-in Netflix, Pandora, Wi-Fi, etc, and all for only $89.99.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bambi posted:

Anyone who's looking for a good multi-region player: I've been hearing a lot of good things about Best Buy's Insignia NS-2BRDVD2. It's extremely easy to change the region coding - all you have to do is type in a code via the remote. It plays PAL content, and unlike the Sherwood, you can update the player's firmware without sacrificing the multi-region capability. It also has built-in Netflix, Pandora, Wi-Fi, etc, and all for only $89.99.

Awesome, the Sherwood was a complete let-down (wouldn't even turn on), but I have liked other Insignia stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

That's my player. I had no idea you could change the region coding with the remote. Could you post the instructions?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Yes

Yesss

Yesssssss

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays!

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Sporadic posted:

That's my player. I had no idea you could change the region coding with the remote. Could you post the instructions?

Apparently all you have to do is press 9-1-3-3 on the remote and it will display a menu that allows you to switch the region coding. What are your thoughts on the player in general?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What is this horseshit? They discontinued the Inception Steelbook on FYE.com?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Bambi posted:

Sporadic posted:

One thing I did find out about this player is that it doesn't play nice with the T2 blu ray(the good T2 edition). My parents just bought this player so I borrowed them some blu rays to check it out and even though the wifi connection was fine, once on the disc loading screen it says something about having no internet connection since it is trying to call home for the BD live stuff. If you try to proceed further it just locks the player up on a black screen, and if you retry it just cannot connect. It also corrupted the Wi-Fi settings(and all the text on the player menus got corrupted and jagged) at one point and I had to restore to factory settings. It also loads blu rays in general incredibly slow. T2 is the only one that has just flat out not worked.

They have put out a newer update since I tried the T2 test so maybe they fixed it, but I was under the impression that the newest firmware was to fix some sync issue with Inception. I guess maybe I am just spoiled from using a PS3, but those loading times really are pretty ridiculous. Just some info for what it is worth. I'd be interested to find out if anyone else with this player has the same issue with T2.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

Apparently all you have to do is press 9-1-3-3 on the remote and it will display a menu that allows you to switch the region coding. What are your thoughts on the player in general?

I'll have to give that a try when I hook back up my player.

(Turns out I have Insignia NS-2BRDVD not Insignia NS-2BRDVD2 but from what other people have told me, it is the same unit, it just looks different and doesn't have Napster access)

I like the player. Don't have much to compare it to but it is much better than my dad's first generation Samsung player. The remote is a wonky shape and it is kind of loud when first loading the disc (or if you have a disc that has multiple versions on the disc like Apocalypse Now). No issues besides that. It has played everything I have thrown at it so far.

ApexAftermath posted:

One thing I did find out about this player is that it doesn't play nice with the T2 blu ray(the good T2 edition). My parents just bought this player so I borrowed them some blu rays to check it out and even though the wifi connection was fine, once on the disc loading screen it says something about having no internet connection since it is trying to call home for the BD live stuff. If you try to proceed further it just locks the player up on a black screen, and if you retry it just cannot connect. It also corrupted the Wi-Fi settings(and all the text on the player menus got corrupted and jagged) at one point and I had to restore to factory settings. It also loads blu rays in general incredibly slow. T2 is the only one that has just flat out not worked.

They have put out a newer update since I tried the T2 test so maybe they fixed it, but I was under the impression that the newest firmware was to fix some sync issue with Inception. I guess maybe I am just spoiled from using a PS3, but those loading times really are pretty ridiculous. Just some info for what it is worth. I'd be interested to find out if anyone else with this player has the same issue with T2.

Never had that happen but then again, I disabled BD-Live right out of the box (there should be an option in the settings). I also didn't have a issue with load times but I haven't tried the new T2 disc.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 25, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sorry for the double post but I just tried the that region trick on my Blu-Ray player.

Using these steps

quote:

Someone posted that the newest Insignia's had a menu you could get to by doing the following:

1. Eject the tray
2. Press the "Setup" button
3. Press 9 1 1 3
4. a menu would pop up allowing you to change the region

The region codes reset back to defaults when you power the player off.

I was able to access the menu

but even after changing it to 7-2, it is still rejecting my Region B Blu-Rays (tried both The Crow and 9 Songs). I don't know what I could be doing wrong.

- edit And regarding my PC setup, I found out that my second monitor was triggering the HDCP flag thing. Disconnected the second monitor and movies play fine now. Wish I would have found that out before buying a standalone Blu-Ray player :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished watching BURIED and it is by far one of the best movies of 2010. Just checked bluray.com and it comes out on 1/18. I'm super excited to own this movie. Hopefully the quality of the blu delivers.

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 25, 2010

• Locked thread