Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Experiment posted:

1) I do have to do labs but it is all done at once over the summer. I believe the labs are two weeks in length.

2) University of North Dakota

Oh, ok...so you actually have to show up at the campus to do you labs during the summer?

Makes sense. As long as you got your labs covered it should be pretty similar to in class. I'm getting a Masters in Comp Sci and trying to do as many classes online as I can because it's really more convenient than going to the campuses. The only thing that sucks about them is the required forums posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I hate online classes, but I hate even more when my regular classes make me do online work. I hate those forums!

Anyway, I just finished my sixth semester with my higest grades so far. I'm proud.

Next semester I will get an occupational scholarship at school (will work in a lab or doing PCBs for other students), is that any good for resumes? I can do that and the next semesters work for an investigator. When I finish I want to study my Masters in Germany.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2023

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The Experiment posted:

1) I do have to do labs but it is all done at once over the summer. I believe the labs are two weeks in length.

2) University of North Dakota

UND :toot:!

My alma-mater, got my BSEE there as well.

I don't know a lot about the online classes, but they are available for regular students to download as well. The quality is decent (for a 30-45mb file) but the format blows. You need Real Player to watch them, because they're in .smil format and nothing else plays those correctly.

You've gotta be pretty dedicated to do the homework with no immediate available help and no prodding from classmates. But it is certainly doable and a pretty good option for online Engineering. Once you get to Senior Design though, it gets tricky and might be worth a year in actual school.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Thanks for weighing in everyone.

SB35 posted:

UND :toot:!

My alma-mater, got my BSEE there as well.

I don't know a lot about the online classes, but they are available for regular students to download as well. The quality is decent (for a 30-45mb file) but the format blows. You need Real Player to watch them, because they're in .smil format and nothing else plays those correctly.

You've gotta be pretty dedicated to do the homework with no immediate available help and no prodding from classmates. But it is certainly doable and a pretty good option for online Engineering. Once you get to Senior Design though, it gets tricky and might be worth a year in actual school.

Thanks.

I might have to see what they may want for senior design classes. Everything I've read from the description implies that they have everything set up well enough to accommodate online classes.

Regarding homework, it is just two classes per semester and I'm hoping with my credits at my other school, I pretty much will just have to take EE classes only with a few other required classes.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The Experiment posted:

I might have to see what they may want for senior design classes. Everything I've read from the description implies that they have everything set up well enough to accommodate online classes.

They do, and you can do Sr. Design online. I just say that it's kind of a big pain in the rear end if you need to actually build something and have no where to build it (we have labs, tools, and a lot of components). Furthermore, it can be difficult if your partner is on campus and you're not.

It's been done. A good friend of mine had an online senior design partner, but they had to make a lot of extra effort of "on the phone time" and online collaboration tools. The online student also worked at a company that had a lab where he could work on the project.

EDIT: I found and uploaded a couple of the online lectures I had stored on my hard drive. Play the .smi file with Real Player. The EE 206 is a good example of a typical online lecture, both lectures are from 2005 or 2006 I believe. Also neither of these two professors teach at UND anymore.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vv6uen

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 19, 2010

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
think I botched an interview. its for an internship doing java ui stuff. its been 6 months since I've done java and when it came time for the technical interview I was thinking in assembly and verilog and forgot a whole bunch of OO terminology. think I impressed the project manager though who was doing the human/team factor part of the interview. worst part is I'm pretty sure I could do the ui stuff

thanks academia for teaching me nothing :D

edit: i'm a cpe junior

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

seo posted:

think I botched an interview. its for an internship doing java ui stuff. its been 6 months since I've done java and when it came time for the technical interview I was thinking in assembly and verilog and forgot a whole bunch of OO terminology. think I impressed the project manager though who was doing the human/team factor part of the interview. worst part is I'm pretty sure I could do the ui stuff

thanks academia for teaching me nothing :D

edit: i'm a cpe junior

It's ok, this happens to everyone sometimes. Note that if this does happen to you in an interview, it sometimes helps if you explain why you're having trouble.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Mechanical Engineer from Australia checking in here. Just to go back to the "you can't call yourself an engineer without doing some test" discussion, we have something similar here, in that it's actually illegal to provide engineering advice unless you're registered by the Professional Engineer's Board (which is run by the state government). The two exceptions are: if you're working under the direct supervision of an accredited engineer, and if you're providing advice/services as a direct interpretation of a prescriptive standard (such as a code for the construction of houses).

I'm interested: does America (or any states therein) have similar requirements? Not so much associated with "calling yourself an engineer", moreso with the providing of engineering services?

As a part of my degree I did an undergraduate thesis in Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis using the ABAQUS package, and studied CFD (computational fluid dynamics), MATLAB and hypersonics (among the other "key" competencies of mechanical engineering, such as continuum and fluid mechanics, vibration, numerical analysis etc.).

I'm currently working in the rail industry (for the past two years), working on locomotives, wagons and such.

One thing I've found is that university has been the highest level of technical application I've experienced so far in my career. After graduation, alot of the work I've done is along the lines moreso of project management, than actual "nuts and bolts" engineering.

One thing I regret about the studies I've done so far is that I didn't do a trade/apprenticeship before going into university. I feel like I've missed out on appreciation of true engineering, and applying the concepts practically, rather than just learning about them "on paper".

If anyone has any questions associated with Mechanical Engineering, associated fields of study or anything about Engineering practices and law in Australia, feel free to ask (or PM).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BlackShadow posted:

Mechanical Engineer from Australia checking in here. Just to go back to the "you can't call yourself an engineer without doing some test" discussion, we have something similar here, in that it's actually illegal to provide engineering advice unless you're registered by the Professional Engineer's Board (which is run by the state government). The two exceptions are: if you're working under the direct supervision of an accredited engineer, and if you're providing advice/services as a direct interpretation of a prescriptive standard (such as a code for the construction of houses).

I'm interested: does America (or any states therein) have similar requirements? Not so much associated with "calling yourself an engineer", moreso with the providing of engineering services?
The specifics vary from state to state in the US, but generally speaking, it works the exact same way. You can have "engineer" in your job title, but you can't legally advertise engineering services unless you're a licensed PE.

The importance of this varies greatly from field-to-field. It's more important in construction and civil engineering where PE stamps are required and the PE assumes liability; it's less so in manufacturing where products undergo UL or other lab testing to prove their safety. You can be a very successful engineer in the US in many fields without ever becoming licensed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

EE/CPE/Biochem checking in; to motivate any future EE/CPE grads/students:

I finished classes last year, got a job at a smallish company in a real college town (I went to an engineering only college with a co-op program, so I spent 2.5 yrs in the auto industry doing software/hardware), which is cool (there are WOMEN!).

And instead of test engineering, which so many fresh grads end up in (trust me, driving cars until they break is not as fun as it sounds) I got dropped straight into hardware/software design. Core i7 single-board-computer went out for production last month :smug: This makes me feel really awesome, because I got to design and work on something hilariously complex, and I can't even legally drink yet. While your friends are drowning in debt you're making cool poo poo and earning coin! I heard women appreciate a man who can afford a nice date or two.

Basically, do internships and network (a prof recommended me for my current job unsolicited). I'd say it's worth trading part of the college experience/partying/whatever for an awesome job right out of school. If your school doesn't have a required co-op/internship program, it is totally worth it to use your summers for internships/research, and maybe even take a semester off to continue with one. If you come into school with AP credit, this may not even set back your graduation date. And if it does, no one is going to give a poo poo when you explain the reason you took 4.5 years to graduate is because you wanted work experience. Companies love it when young blood requires little to no training/orientation.

@Thoguh, I just took my FE, and I don't plan on staying an engineer long enough to get my PE, but in case things change...in Michigan, they say "4 years of supervised work experience". Does this mean I need to get an official logbook or something to log that I'm engineering? Or do I just produce proof of employment at some point saying "look I worked for >= 4 years as an engineer"?

Also, hilariously enough, MIT isn't ABET accredited (according to one of my profs, it's essentially "We're MIT, we don't need to be :smugdog:"). Ever have a MIT grad get turned away from one of your contracts?

e: can anyone else who just took the October NCEES exams log in? Their server poo poo itself yesterday.

e2: sorry if I come across as an rear end, I'm just really excited about boards going off to production :smith:

movax fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 23, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

movax posted:

@Thoguh, I just took my FE, and I don't plan on staying an engineer long enough to get my PE, but in case things change...in Michigan, they say "4 years of supervised work experience". Does this mean I need to get an official logbook or something to log that I'm engineering? Or do I just produce proof of employment at some point saying "look I worked for >= 4 years as an engineer"?
You'll have to check your state's website. VA just wanted a form signed by your supervisor saying you worked there and were doing engineering work. You didn't need to be under the supervision of a PE, but need to have worked with enough PEs to get sealed letters of reference from them. Which can be quite difficult in job fields where PE is uncommon.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

movax posted:

Core i7 single-board-computer went out for production last month :smug: This makes me feel really awesome, because I got to design and work on something hilariously complex, and I can't even legally drink yet.

jealous! i applied for an internship at intel but haven't heard anything yet

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

movax posted:

Basically, do internships and network (a prof recommended me for my current job unsolicited). I'd say it's worth trading part of the college experience/partying/whatever for an awesome job right out of school. If your school doesn't have a required co-op/internship program, it is totally worth it to use your summers for internships/research, and maybe even take a semester off to continue with one. If you come into school with AP credit, this may not even set back your graduation date. And if it does, no one is going to give a poo poo when you explain the reason you took 4.5 years to graduate is because you wanted work experience. Companies love it when young blood requires little to no training/orientation.

Ive harped on this again and again but as a Mech E I am getting lower tech Mechanical Engineer position interviews in only me sophmore year of college because I twent to machinist school, did an internship, and am now working a a CNC machinist. Working as a CNC machinist if you are an engineering major will put you at the front of the pack almost regardless of GPA. Its also fascinating and you'll be able to literally make anything. (It also doesnt hurt that it typically pays $15-20/hr) The tech school to learn that skill took two semesters and cost $2500 (though I had a scholarship).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AnomalousBoners posted:

Ive harped on this again and again but as a Mech E I am getting lower tech Mechanical Engineer position interviews in only me sophmore year of college because I twent to machinist school, did an internship, and am now working a a CNC machinist. Working as a CNC machinist if you are an engineering major will put you at the front of the pack almost regardless of GPA. Its also fascinating and you'll be able to literally make anything. (It also doesnt hurt that it typically pays $15-20/hr) The tech school to learn that skill took two semesters and cost $2500 (though I had a scholarship).

I did an internship at our school machine shop for 3 years, and while I my education was informal it had a similar effect on my internship prospects. People who know how to machine are incredibly valuable. They won't make mistakes that require clarification on drawings (what's the minimum radius of that sharp corner?) and they won't design something that's impossible to fabricate.

This also means that the smartest thing a young engineer can do is make friends with EVERY machinist out there. And when they ask you a question, or offer advice, you should listen. Their suggestions may not work because of an aspect of the design they don't know about, but their advice is always worth hearing.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.
What about welding?

A lot of it is not really applicable to anything, except making studying for a ton of hard classes seem easy by comparison, but it is a manufacturing job - and since I'm going EE, it means I at least on some level played with electricity.

Also, I just did this and it actually worked.

Is that worth putting on my resume, or just making a comment during an interview?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

flux_core posted:

What about welding?

A lot of it is not really applicable to anything, except making studying for a ton of hard classes seem easy by comparison, but it is a manufacturing job - and since I'm going EE, it means I at least on some level played with electricity.

Is that worth putting on my resume, or just making a comment during an interview?

Put it on your resume. Keep in mind your competition has done nothing for the most part.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flux_core posted:

God drat, that is genius. I never thought of that and did a bit of inspecting solders on farm equipment computer boards during a summer internship. I have a laptop graphic card that needs that right away.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I wouldn't put something so simple on my resume (hey, this one time, I threw my hard drive in the freezer because I heard it could unstick stuck heads but forgot and found it a year later, covered in about 1" of frost), but anecdotes showing your real-world experience would most likely help you during the interview.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

grover posted:

I wouldn't put something so simple on my resume (hey, this one time, I threw my hard drive in the freezer because I heard it could unstick stuck heads but forgot and found it a year later, covered in about 1" of frost), but anecdotes showing your real-world experience would most likely help you during the interview.

Oh, I took it as him asking if he should put "being a welder" on his resume. Yeah I wouldn't list the baking a graphics card thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soldering is a good skill to have as an EE.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Soldering is something I could do in my sleep right now.

I should TIG weld a circuit sometime, but I'm unsure if it would be safe for the components. Is it possible to structure and ground the welding circuit that way?

Something tells me a HF-TIG start would probably gently caress up everything with induction, but again I don't know exactly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

Soldering is something I could do in my sleep right now.

I should TIG weld a circuit sometime, but I'm unsure if it would be safe for the components. Is it possible to structure and ground the welding circuit that way?

Something tells me a HF-TIG start would probably gently caress up everything with induction, but again I don't know exactly.

Discrete transistors wouldn't like a huge spark like the discharge from a TIG setup, nevermind a logic chip. Can you solder SMDs like say a QFP? Pain in the rear end, but a good skill to have if/when China fucks up a couple boards.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AnomalousBoners posted:

I wish I could do this, I want to make some sweet enclosures/etc for my projects sometime.

quote:

Soldering is a good skill to have as an EE.
I daresay it's almost required, but a lot of EEs still end up as software engineers these days.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Oh, absolutely, welding and soldering skills should go on your resume if you have them. It's a HUGE plus for an engineer to have actual trade experience in their engineering field. Even if it's just you playing around with a $200 welder you bought to do a few projects, it shows a lot of initiative and aptitude. Gaining actual skill in a machine shop or welding shop, etc, professionally for a few years is gold.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Discrete transistors wouldn't like a huge spark like the discharge from a TIG setup, nevermind a logic chip. Can you solder SMDs like say a QFP? Pain in the rear end, but a good skill to have if/when China fucks up a couple boards.

HF TIG is a high voltage high frequency way to 'spark' off something to get the high current low volt main arc going.

I was thinking that a scratch start with a really small tungsten electrode might work, but I'd have to be careful with where I put my ground.

As far as the SMD, though, I used an oven for that recently! I'd rather use a heat gun, though, or get the right tools to do it.

flux_core fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 26, 2010

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Where do you guys recommend a Civil Engineer look for non-engineering careers that will have a decent income?

I have my Masters in CE/Geotech and a total of about 1.5 years experience in consulting. EIT/FE, no PE yet. I never liked it and probably never will. The material was awesome to study in school, but the corporate consulting world is just not for me.

I really want to work EMT/FF, but I literally don't think I can afford rent working the former and the latter, well, I hear competition is tough in California (:sarcastic:, 5k applicants typically compete for ~2 openings, although I will still try). I don't think I would mind public service/government/USACE, but pretty much none are hiring.

Someone mentioned accounting firms hiring engineers to QA projects or something. Sounds interesting, but I don't think I'll enjoy accounting much more. Any other suggestions?

Aquendwato
Jun 29, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

Plus that project club stuff is fun. Its cool being in charge of everything, from running practice nights, to ordering equipment, to making sure everyone is following the safety rules, to organizing competition nights with other universities... Doesn't feel like work.

Guess its my turn for a question: My marks aren't great (I don't know GPA, canada and at my uni we use %) but I have a fair bit of experience outside of engineering, i.e. clubs and whatnot. Also, my mark in project based courses (design projects) is a fair bit higher than my average. Aside from highlighting that in my cover letter, is there anything else I can do to get people to look past my transcript?

You can figure out your approximate GPA from this chart - http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart. QCARD also gives you your ranking in your year and program which might be helpful or might just make you sad.

You can put courses relevant to the position you're applying to along with your mark on your resume to make them stand out more. I also wouldn't worry too much about it, everything I've heard/seen says marks don't matter too much if you have a lot of other stuff to put on your resume and you interview well. I know a lot of companies that don't consider marks so long as you passed. I'm in the exact same position as you except I'm in Sci Parallel.

Aquendwato fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FooGoo posted:

Where do you guys recommend a Civil Engineer look for non-engineering careers that will have a decent income?

Project management is one option. You could also consider a research field that takes advantage of your experience. Look at government labs that might do work that you would be interested in. Check out USAJOBS and see if anything catches your interest.

John Doe
Oct 22, 2008
Is engineering management more interesting than management in financial institutions? Or is management just management? (or is it totally person-dependent?)

I keep hearing that engineering management is very disconnected from actual engineering, which gets me wondering if eventually switching to the finance sector will present more money-making/advancement opportunities (with the same industry-disconnection)?

I'm halfway done my B.Eng and I'd say finance interests me just as much as engineering :/ and at this age, as an ignorant money-seeking student, I don't want to be stuck in "MIDDLE-CLASS FOR LIFE" as many comments suggest about engineering. Regardless, I plan on doing aerospace engineering work for at least 5 years upon graduation before I decide if management is even for me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

John Doe posted:

Is engineering management more interesting than management in financial institutions? Or is management just management? (or is it totally person-dependent?)

I keep hearing that engineering management is very disconnected from actual engineering, which gets me wondering if eventually switching to the finance sector will present more money-making/advancement opportunities (with the same industry-disconnection)?

I'm halfway done my B.Eng and I'd say finance interests me just as much as engineering :/ and at this age, as an ignorant money-seeking student, I don't want to be stuck in "MIDDLE-CLASS FOR LIFE" as many comments suggest about engineering. Regardless, I plan on doing aerospace engineering work for at least 5 years upon graduation before I decide if management is even for me.

I've had two majors kinds of managers; excellent managers that were competent engineers in the trenches at one point and understand what we need to get things done, and how to tell us to get things done, and not-so-excellent managers that were Dilbert style promoted to where they could do less harm. The latter breeds resentment because he's getting paid more to do less and be generally incompetent, not to mention getting in the way of our work.

Find a career field that appreciates the first type. A lot of smaller, more "agile" companies will be the filled with the former (and naturally, even the large high-tech companies). I feel like "boring" engineering companies will get the second type though; I used to work in the auto industry (as did many of my friends) and all of our managers seemed to be the second type.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

movax posted:

I've had two majors kinds of managers; excellent managers that were competent engineers in the trenches at one point and understand what we need to get things done, and how to tell us to get things done, and not-so-excellent managers that were Dilbert style promoted to where they could do less harm. The latter breeds resentment because he's getting paid more to do less and be generally incompetent, not to mention getting in the way of our work.

This right here. The key problem is that the non-engineer background managers tend to be the ones furthest up the food chain, hence making more widespread decisions, more than likely directly affecting where/how/why you do your job.

The key with engineering management, from what I've gleaned off colleagues, is to not dive in with both feet. Try your hand at supervision/leading engineering teams, and see how it goes. Engineers (at least pretty much all the ones I know) are intellectually predisposed to despise any form of politics, which doesn't bode well for higher management roles.

Moral of the story is to take it slow and try your hand at it before committing too much to the management game, especially in larger companies/firms.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

John Doe posted:

Engineering management manages engineers and engineering issues. The day-to-day work is still management-type work, but there's always an aspect of engineering.

Managers may have the final say in all issues, but working-level engineers are going to get to do virtually all the actual engineering work. And since they do all the actual work, they're the subject-matter-experts, and most of the decisions are going to be more like "What do you recommend? ... I concur, do that." unless it's too expensive, in which case you get to be the pointy-haired boss raining on Dilbert's parade.

Money is nice, but enjoying your job is extremely important, too. If you want to be an engineer and enjoy engineer, be an engineer, not a manager. If you enjoy engineering AND management, and are good at both, then you've probably got quite a good career ahead of you. You have lots of time to worry about it anyhow; nobody starts in management- it's usually the culmination of an engineering career.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
For a new graduate without much job experience, does it make sense to list technical courses on the resume? I figure it would help to have various technical words that HR might skim for, but I've seen conflicting advice on this.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

T.H.E. Rock posted:

For a new graduate without much job experience, does it make sense to list technical courses on the resume? I figure it would help to have various technical words that HR might skim for, but I've seen conflicting advice on this.

Yes, because they'll ask you what classes you took anyway.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Yeah, I'd say list the ones that are most directly relevant to the job you're applying for, but don't pad out your resume by putting every engineering course you've taken.

Also, keep an eye out for keywords in the job posting. If it says they're looking for someone to do stress analysis or whatever, put down the structures/MatSci classes you've taken, and in your skills summary section list that you have strong competence in stress analysis. If you're applying to a large company, this will increase the chances of your resume making it through their initial filters.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T.H.E. Rock posted:

It's a good idea, I was always told to group my classes into categories almost instead of just listing "CompSci 101 - Java". My resume for classes looked something like:

*Electrical Engineering Courses Relating to: Circuit design and analysis, Electromagnetism, Digital Logic, Digital and Analog Communications Systems
*Computer Science/Engineering Courses Relating to: C++/Java Data Structures and Object Oriented Design and Development, Assembly Language with a concentration on Mips and Motorola Platforms, Computer Architecture theory and implementation using VHDL, Visual Processing and Computing.
*Other Related Engineering Courses: Control Systems, Semiconductors Materials Engineering.

You probably don't need to go over stuff like Calc, DiffEqs...etc because that's assumed by the fact that you got a degree in X Engineering. List mostly electives and if you had to do a senior design project write a few sentences about what you did. You'll be able to expand on any projects you worked on during the interview.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Cool; thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 10, 2023