Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

"No Value Until Activated at Register"
How do they activate it? Do is the register somehow connected to the internet or something? Do they swipe it and put numbers in? Or is it just something to deter thieves, and in reality we can get thousands of dollars of worthless in-game items but just sneaking off with one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Avocadoes posted:

How do they activate it? Do is the register somehow connected to the internet or something? Do they swipe it and put numbers in? Or is it just something to deter thieves, and in reality we can get thousands of dollars of worthless in-game items but just sneaking off with one?

If it is anything like $100.00 prepaid visa cards yes they are connected to the internet.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Wagonburner posted:

In short: you need to
1 set a static internal 192.168...ip on the camera
2 in your router config forward port 80 to that static ip
3 use whatismyip.com or the status page on your router to find out our real internet ip given to you by your isp.

then just do http://yourip from your pc work or wherever and it should go.
Haha, I think I took this about three steps past where I should've stopped...but the thing is, it works.

I logged onto my router config for, literally, the first time ever; had to set the password and everything. Hey, there's a list of poo poo on the network and my camera's on it! I click into the wireless section (I'm on Verizon Fios if that's any help whatsoever) and click port-forwarding on my camera. There's a bigass list of poo poo I don't know about. UDP and TCP and some xbox ports and bit-torrent...all I know is there was no way to choose port 80; or rather there probably was, but I'm too stupid to know what it was. So I hit "add," typed in 80, chose "both UDP/TCP" in the dropdown, hit save and so it showed up at the bottom of the page, with the word 'unresolved' beside it. So I hit the button that said "resolve."

You might know where I'm going with this already: what used to be my internet IP - the way I got into my router's config settings - is now the address for my webcam. Not http://blahblah.120:80 just http://blahblah.120. So I don't honestly know how to get back to my router config settings. But hey - it works! Picked up the camera on my phone and everything, and I'm still posting on somethingawful so I guess I didn't gently caress things up too badly. But nevertheless I did gently caress them up, and I have a feeling I'd better fix it before long.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out, this is gonna make a great Christmas present for someone. Really appreciate it.

So...anyone know what I've done, and how to fix it?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 21, 2010

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Avocadoes posted:

The 3 main methods are Internet connected registers which most big chain stores have, some places like game stop use the debit/credit card machine and the other method is using a automated phone in system used by the retailer.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

jackpot posted:

You might know where I'm going with this already: what used to be my internet IP - the way I got into my router's config settings - is now the address for my webcam. Not http://blahblah.120:80 just http://blahblah.120. So I don't honestly know how to get back to my router config settings.

Most routers are on 192.168.0.1, no need to define a port either.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

I'm underway on a boat for 2 months at a time. I try and bring my own water bottle because it's easier to do that than going to the galley every time I want a drink.

I've had the Nalgene ones, but those always end up stinking pretty bad due to algae or something that I can't see growing in them, even though I wash it pretty regularly.

Anyone recommend a water bottle that won't be as susceptible to funky smells and can go a week or so without washing it. I just hold water in them, nothing gross or sticky. I've been thinking maybe an aluminum bottle, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

I've had similar problems with nalgene bottles in the past, and I've found that there are some things you can do to prevent it. Namely, don't leave the lid sealed for long periods, especially if there is water inside. It's fine for carrying it around and whatnot, but empty it out at night and leave the lid open so it can dry. I think that alone will have a big impact on your problem.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I guess I don't really know anything about GPS's.
My G I R L F R I E ND has a Magellan GPS in her car, but it seems to have lovely maps or something. I always thought they got updated by the satellites or something but hers doesn't seem to have the same stuff on the map that an ex-girlfriend had.
Specifically, we can't find nearby restaurants and other attractions like bowling alleys, live theaters, and such. I think it finds golf courses and movie theaters, pretty much, but I don't think they're up-to-date.

I see something on Amazon that appears to be an SD card with Magellan 2009 maps. Do I just buy that and slide it in her GPS? It's $65 though, so shouldn't I just buy another GPS that already has new maps and is better for $40 more?
Is there some cheaper way to get maps for her GPS?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If either of you has an iPhone or a high-end Android phone you can get GPS apps for them that are at least as good as the dedicated boxes, and are probably kept up-to-date better since the devices have always-on Internet access.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008
In The Matrix, there's a scene where Neo takes a pill and then Morpheus starts showing him poo poo.

I was thinking, is it possible that Neo just tripped really hard?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Very Strange Things posted:

I always thought they got updated by the satellites or something but hers doesn't seem to have the same stuff on the map that an ex-girlfriend had.

The satellites provide you with positioning information and I think a time signal, and that's it. Any maps or whatnot you get extra are dependent on the device and will certainly go out of date over time unless you have some means of updating. As haveblue said, the GPS functionality on Android (and maybe iPhone too, I haven't used it) is really pretty good. It does turn by turn navigation out of box, and there are plenty of apps to get lat/long and satellite info and stuff. It sucks my battery dry pretty quickly, but I have and old phone and I understand this is not as much of a problem as it once was.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Very Strange Things posted:

I always thought they got updated by the satellites or something but hers doesn't seem to have the same stuff on the map that an ex-girlfriend had. Specifically, we can't find nearby restaurants and other attractions like bowling alleys, live theaters, and such. I think it finds golf courses and movie theaters, pretty much, but I don't think they're up-to-date.

I can't vouch for your Amazon find, but my Garmin tells me at every single instance that I power it on that my maps are out of date, and then asks me to update them. I finally brought it into the house one day to try, and the map update it takes you to online was over $100. Suffice to say, that's highway robbery, and I haven't updated the thing.

Either way, that's how updates work. Updates aren't pushed to the device.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

a computer posted:

In The Matrix, there's a scene where Neo takes a pill and then Morpheus starts showing him poo poo.

I was thinking, is it possible that Neo just tripped really hard?

No way silly, the whole movie is an allegory to the bible with neo as jesus and trinity is pontious and morpheus is the 13th apostle.

Also on the gps vs. phone gps thing. Spend the hundred bux on a standalone. no matter how good a gps app on a phone is you'd need another person to operate it or a windshield mount, never travel outside your coverage area cause your maps will be gone unless you buy garmin smartphone maps (hundred bux right there).

And you still have a chance of being right in the middle of an important turning instruction that gets cut off by your lil jon ringtone when your mom calls.
"in five hundred feet turn TURN AROUND BITCH PUT THAT rear end ON A NIGGA"

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 21, 2010

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Wagonburner posted:

"in five hundred feet turn TURN AROUND BITCH PUT THAT rear end ON A NIGGA"

I would actually go out of my way to purchase a GPS that did this.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Slim Killington posted:

I can't vouch for your Amazon find, but my Garmin tells me at every single instance that I power it on that my maps are out of date, and then asks me to update them. I finally brought it into the house one day to try, and the map update it takes you to online was over $100. Suffice to say, that's highway robbery, and I haven't updated the thing.

Either way, that's how updates work. Updates aren't pushed to the device.

The funny thing is that the higher you go in price of the initital GPS unit the lower the new maps cost and sometimes they're free. If you get like the $600 fancypants units from any of the big manufacturers they'll include like 2 years of updates free and you can pay $50 for a card with a code that lets you get updates free forever.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Thanks guys, You're All Winners! But I'm going with Wagonburner here.
We, neither of us, have any kind of phone that is even above average intelligence. From what he and the rest said, I would be a dumb guy to spend $65 to put the maps that are already on a $100 GPS onto an old GPS that kind of sucked to begin with (the touch screen and the OS don't really work for me very well).
I saw a GPS with "lifetime maps" at Staples for $150, I bet I can find one even cheaper elsewhere.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Slim Killington posted:

I would actually go out of my way to purchase a GPS that did this.
Me too. I don't even own a car.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I want to get rid of these but don't know the best way on how to do that and get the most money for them. Any opinions or knowledge on the best way to go in selling them?

Ebay? If you don't want the hassle I'd probably buy them.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Every time I update Firefox, it tells me flash is out of date and wants to kill my dogs.

But updating flash always seems to break stuff.

Advice? (I am thinking about just not updating Firefox anymore, but there updates never break stuff.)

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a student loan megathread? I thought I remember one but I can't find it.

edit; nevermind, found it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Can someone translate this from Swedish?

fan va du gottar dig din jävel.. hoppas ni har d gått där nere, syns att du kan lägga på dig några kilon nu

With Google translate, I was able to figure out that the gist of the second part is that hope you are doing well down there, and I see that you've put on some weight. But what does the first part mean?

Thanks!

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Juanito posted:

Can someone translate this from Swedish?

fan va du gottar dig din jävel.. hoppas ni har d gått där nere, syns att du kan lägga på dig några kilon nu

With Google translate, I was able to figure out that the gist of the second part is that hope you are doing well down there, and I see that you've put on some weight. But what does the first part mean?

Thanks!

"Man, you're really enjoying yourself, you bastard. Hope you have a good time down there, I can tell you can afford to put on few pounds now."

That's how I understood it at least. Wasn't really familiar with the expression "gotta", so I had to look that up (I'm Finland Swedish, the text is obviously Sweden Swedish)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Cool, thanks! I appreciate it :)

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Are there any free/cheap video library management programs for Windows 7? I'm looking for something aesthetically pleasing, with the movie poster art, where I can browse and sort the movies I have on my hard drive. I like the look of Delicious Library 2, as a good reference, but that's for Mac and seems more geared towards inventorying real-world items.

So what does everyone else use?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

kapalama posted:

Every time I update Firefox, it tells me flash is out of date and wants to kill my dogs.

But updating flash always seems to break stuff.

Advice? (I am thinking about just not updating Firefox anymore, but there updates never break stuff.)

It does that for me too.

Perhaps it's time for SHSC on that one?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gman14msu posted:

Are there any free/cheap video library management programs for Windows 7? I'm looking for something aesthetically pleasing, with the movie poster art, where I can browse and sort the movies I have on my hard drive. I like the look of Delicious Library 2, as a good reference, but that's for Mac and seems more geared towards inventorying real-world items.

XBMC?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ebay? If you don't want the hassle I'd probably buy them.

Ebay seems like a giant hassle. I'm in eastern PA if your seriously interested as shipping them all wouldn't be an option.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Ebay seems like a giant hassle. I'm in eastern PA if your seriously interested as shipping them all wouldn't be an option.

It is a slight hassle, but you asked how to get the most money. That's how. Your alternatives are placing a craigslist ad and trying to find a collector near you who'll buy the lot, or take them to a record store. I'd say try the craigslist route. Mind you, that will involve having a total stranger you only speak to over the internet coming to your house or neutral location to look at them.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

gman14msu posted:

If you have windows media center, take a look at mediabrowser.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Is there a thread on credit reports? I've been turned down for an apartment because of a credit report through rental some or other dot com told them to deny me. I have never been in debt but I also have never had a credit card so I imagine that has something to do with it. I have no idea what is up with these things.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
You can get one free credit report every n-many years in the United States. If they ran a credit check on you, I'm pretty sure they're required to share the results with you. In any case, if you've never checked your credit, you can head over to freecreditreport.com and get your one free report - just make sure not to buy anything. (They'll list your credit assets/debts, but won't give you a credit score number for free. You just want to make sure that someone hasn't stolen your identity and charged thousands of dollars to an account tied to your SSN.)

Other than that... I've been in a similar situation, with no credit to speak of, but was able to demonstrate steady income, and they let me have the apartment if I paid first and last month's rent, in addition to the standard deposits. See if you can work with the landlord.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Another option for free credit reports:  Credit Karma.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For fucks sake, don't go to freecreditreport.com, it's not even free.

Go to annualcreditreport.com, this the official sitesto get your free yearly credit report. This will tell you your credit report (not score) and tell you if you have any outstanding issues. More likely than not you just have no credit and they didn't want to deal with someone with no history.

Also, you should check out the Newbie Personal Finance thread in BFC.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Is there a thread on credit reports? I've been turned down for an apartment because of a credit report through rental some or other dot com told them to deny me. I have never been in debt but I also have never had a credit card so I imagine that has something to do with it. I have no idea what is up with these things.

You can get a free credit report from each of the three bureaus once a year (I'm pretty sure this is the case, I mean, that you can actually get 3 a year if you use each bureau once). Annualcreditreport.com is the legit site; don't use another one. The three bureaus are Equifax, Transunion & Experian. You will not be able to see your credit score, but you can see what's on there.

Your credit score is calculated in a mystical way by a secret order of money druids, but I can tell you one or two things: 1) each credit card or line of credit you have is counted as GOOD for you, so if you have a credit card with a $5k limit and another one with like a $1k limit, you come across as having $6k of available credit. This is positive for your score. (2) Another thing is that it's actually good to have some debt-- or rather, to have HAD some debt and paid it off (student loans, mortgage, car, etc.-- not $$$ of credit card debt). If you have managed a long term debt or have been managing one that is still current, that is good for your credit score. So if you haven't ever had any loans or credit cards, your score is actually probably not as good as it would be if you'd bought a car or had a card for a while. A little counterintuitive, but that's druids for you.

Get a card and pay it off completely every month. Doing this will make your score much, much better. As for right now, the guy who said something about demonstrating steady income was correct-- you can write a letter explaining your income situation & give your employer as a reference, maybe show the rental agent a paystub. Also, since they looked it up, ASK THEM what your credit score is right now. It doesn't really matter what it is exactly, but hey, it's YOUR score, and you should know it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Chrome have a problem with Vimeo? I've tried to watch a couple videos on there in the last couple days (don't think I'd tried before), but I just see the first frame, without any video controls.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Just wanted to third this: Do not go to freecreditreport.com. It's borderline malicious and they will auto sign you up for "credit monitoring" that costs a certain amount of money per month. You can get it free from annualcreditreport.com as mentioned above.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

hooah posted:

Does Chrome have a problem with Vimeo? I've tried to watch a couple videos on there in the last couple days (don't think I'd tried before), but I just see the first frame, without any video controls.

What version of Flash do you have? Try upgrading.

E: Apparently Vimeo recommends uninstalling/reinstalling Flash: http://vimeo.com/help/flash. That link will also check your version.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2010

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a thread active right now for people who want to quit drinking? I kind of want start one.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a thread active right now for people who want to quit drinking? I kind of want start one.

TCC normally has an Addiction/Recovery megathread, but the current one just got closed. Ophidian says he'll have a new one up tomorrow. Until then, check out the Withdrawal Megathread also located in TCC. If you are physically dependent on alcohol, please read that thread and consult a doctor because trying to quit alcohol cold turkey could actually kill you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

What version of Flash do you have? Try upgrading.

E: Apparently Vimeo recommends uninstalling/reinstalling Flash: http://vimeo.com/help/flash. That link will also check your version.

It says at least 10.0.0, and I'm running 10.2.161. Would uninstalling/reinstalling still perhaps fix it? It's not a huge deal since I can just use Firefox if I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hi guys

Someone recently posted a PYF favorite videos or something akin. His contribution was a video of some workers free climbing a guide tower, a very thin and very tall tower (think just below 2 kilometers).

Can anyone point me to it? I've tried search.