Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus
Yeah in Winnipeg people will think you're weird if you don't have a social before your wedding. Our original plan was to have a Marvel/superhero themed social around Halloween 2011 with the wedding party dressing up as the Xmen or something. I'm sure not having a superhero themed reception.

Most people I've talked to don't really make much money off their social anyway. Certainly not enough to pay for a wedding. It's more of a Manitoba tradition. I think it originated because people here are notoriously cheap. Also you can win some pretty sweet prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, it seems like it. Not a fan at all. Plus if family is going to donate poo poo for my social prizes, why dont they just donate the money to a wedding fund instead? Its just weird all around. Plus I dont feel comfortable going around asking businesses for donations for a wedding social when they could be giving their stuff to charities asking instead.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Caramaline posted:

Most people I've talked to don't really make much money off their social anyway. Certainly not enough to pay for a wedding. It's more of a Manitoba tradition. I think it originated because people here are notoriously cheap. Also you can win some pretty sweet prizes.

I've known those as either Buck&Doe or Jack&JIll parties (I'm in Ontario), and I had one about a month back. I'm not sure how it is in Manitoba, but mine was basically a fun party with dumb but fun games and lots of drinking. It's all just an excuse to raise money for the wedding, and as tacky as that sounds, without it I wouldn't have been able to afford my wedding since I just lost my job.

Venyia
Mar 19, 2006
Splendiferousness - the nature of being better than splendid
Hello January wedding buddies.

We're getting married in 3 weeks and 2 days, and I am going to have a mental meltdown, I'm sure of it. There is so much left to get together, and I'm not even doing a fancy wedding.

I was wondering who out there has done or is planning a very short ceremony? And I mean VERY. I wrote a rough draft of a ceremony and had my sister look over it (her husband is our officiant), and she is warning me gently against having a short ceremony. I'm guessing what I have, including his and her vows, is about 10 minutes. Now, this is outdoors, in the afternoon, in January, on a hill where it has a good chance of deciding to snow that day, or be 70 degrees and sunny. I'm aiming for a to-the-point ceremony without religious trappings or most traditional types of things of any sort. I have a single "reading", an excerpt from a story, on the nature of love. I have a little bit of officiant mumbojumbo. I have the vows, the I-Do's. That all seems like enough to me, but I'm really a minimalist at heart. My wonderful fiance... has no input. (Tears out hair.)

What do you all think? Any suggestions of ways to lengthen or change or amend the ceremony would be much appreciated. Now I just get to talk my maid of honor out of flowers... among everything else. I didn't even get a bachelorette party out of the deal. (I'm kidding, I didn't expect one anyway.)

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I had a short ceremony. I think everyone was excited to get to chatting and having fun, and nobody really minded.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Venyia posted:

We're getting married in 3 weeks and 2 days, and I am going to have a mental meltdown, I'm sure of it. There is so much left to get together, and I'm not even doing a fancy wedding.

I was wondering who out there has done or is planning a very short ceremony? And I mean VERY. I wrote a rough draft of a ceremony and had my sister look over it (her husband is our officiant), and she is warning me gently against having a short ceremony. I'm guessing what I have, including his and her vows, is about 10 minutes. Now, this is outdoors, in the afternoon, in January, on a hill where it has a good chance of deciding to snow that day, or be 70 degrees and sunny. I'm aiming for a to-the-point ceremony without religious trappings or most traditional types of things of any sort. I have a single "reading", an excerpt from a story, on the nature of love. I have a little bit of officiant mumbojumbo. I have the vows, the I-Do's. That all seems like enough to me, but I'm really a minimalist at heart. My wonderful fiance... has no input. (Tears out hair.)

What do you all think? Any suggestions of ways to lengthen or change or amend the ceremony would be much appreciated. Now I just get to talk my maid of honor out of flowers... among everything else. I didn't even get a bachelorette party out of the deal. (I'm kidding, I didn't expect one anyway.)

Our ceremony was also pretty short. The one thing we did, though, that added a bit more to it was our version of the Rose Ceremony, wherein we gave lilies to our mothers and beers to our fathers. Went over very well! :D

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

+1 for short ceremonies.

Ours will probably clock in at the 15-minute range. It would have been shorter if we didn't have a song in the middle.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Venyia posted:

she is warning me gently against having a short ceremony.
Why? I have never heard a complaint of "Wow, that was way too short!" Everybody wants to see you walk down, say I do, and leave. The ones that go on and on are awful.

Besides, you should be doing what you want anyway.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Our outdoor ceremony turned out to be ~15 minutes and everyone seemed pretty happy with that, especially since it was in the upper 80's outside. My friend though had a ceremony that last exactly four minutes including the walk up and walk down. Afterward, I don't think anyone was sure it really happened. :D

One thing we did that was really nice was a sand ceremony. It's not the most formal thing, but it was fun! And we got to keep it! I also wanted to to the rose ceremony thing, but I forgot to write it in with everything else going on. If you don't want to add more mushy words, than add a candle, sand, or rose ceremony, have a nice song play during it and take your time. People will like watching it. Just make sure you have enough sand...my brother and his wife only filled the bottle half way...

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Venyia posted:

Go with what you and your fiance want for a ceremony length. Ours was roughly 15 minutes and it was awesome. No standing for extended amounts of time, the flower girl and ring bearer's attention spans were great and everyone got to party a lot sooner. A lot of it had to do with the fact that we specifically told our officiant that we didn't want to have any prayers in the ceremony since neither of us attend church. He was fine with it but wouldn't agree to the ceremony without a blessing from him, which was fine because he's been a family friend longer than I've been alive. It was a cute little poem thing to the two of us which was super special. It was a win-win for everyone.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Venyia posted:

My husband and I had a very short ceremony. To lengthen it we did the aforementioned sand-ceremony and also signed the official marriage certificate up in front of everyone. Two of our attendants were the witnesses and everyone got to see us get actually legally married. It was also nice to not have to hunt down witnesses/minister and rush through it right before the photographer hustled us off for photos.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Ours was fairly short; we used the Art of Marriage reading and snippet of another thing I found on the web, and the kids (I'm a Stepgoonmom!YAY!) had their own very short vows thingie, and BAM! everyone was teary/eyed/crying and telling us after how cool and to the point our wedding was.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

For married/engaged guys (or girls too, I suppose) ITT: what is the #1 thing to keep in mind whilst proposing?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I would say to keep in mind the personality of your soon-to-be-fiancee. For example, if she is really shy you probably don't want to do a grandiose public proposal. Some women will love that, others would be mortified.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what are the guide lines generally for including parents names on the invitations? More specifically NOT including the parents names on the invitations? is it more common these days, or will it only piss off those families that need to have the names in the certain order and read such a specific way? I just think it's stupid. It's my wedding, I'm inviting people. My parents are not the ones inviting everyone... or even making any decisions for that matter!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Astro7x posted:

So what are the guide lines generally for including parents names on the invitations? More specifically NOT including the parents names on the invitations? is it more common these days, or will it only piss off those families that need to have the names in the certain order and read such a specific way? I just think it's stupid. It's my wedding, I'm inviting people. My parents are not the ones inviting everyone... or even making any decisions for that matter!

Yes, it's your wedding, but including your parents' names can be a nice way of honoring the people who raised you. If you include one, include all.

If you do decide to include parents' names, there are many ways you can go. Ours looked like this:

quote:

My full name
and
His full name

together with our parents

My parents' names
His parents' names

request the honor of your presence
blah blah blah

It indicates that you are the hosts of the event, not your parents, but still gives them a nod. If you really have no relationship with your parents, it is not required to include them. But it's the nice thing to do.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
Our wedding is in July (for the record, we'll have been engaged just shy of two years at that point) and we're making progress: we have a venue, catering, photographer, rings, and are working on the cake. So, now the hard part.

Anybody have any advice on/stories about choosing an officiant?

We're both agnostic, or maybe irreligious would be a better way of putting it, so we aren't looking for a minister. If we were, my uncle is a minister, so that would make life easier (although I don't have a strong relationship with him), as my mother keeps reminding me. We don't have any friends who are internet-ordained, and that's not a road we want to go down right now, although we'll see where we are in three months I guess. So, did you just hit the google and start calling people, or is there a secret to this? Neither of us has been to many weddings, and all the ones we have been to have been more traditional Christian ceremonies, so we're not even sure what to look for.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Juniper posted:

Our wedding is in July (for the record, we'll have been engaged just shy of two years at that point) and we're making progress: we have a venue, catering, photographer, rings, and are working on the cake. So, now the hard part.

We're both agnostic, or maybe irreligious would be a better way of putting it, so we aren't looking for a minister. If we were, my uncle is a minister, so that would make life easier (although I don't have a strong relationship with him), as my mother keeps reminding me. We don't have any friends who are internet-ordained, and that's not a road we want to go down right now, although we'll see where we are in three months I guess. So, did you just hit the google and start calling people, or is there a secret to this? Neither of us has been to many weddings, and all the ones we have been to have been more traditional Christian ceremonies, so we're not even sure what to look for.
Yelp, wedding wire, etc., if you're in a decently sized metro area.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Juniper posted:

Can't help much since we don't know where you are, but All Seasons Weddings covers all sorts of ceremonies (including secular) if they happen to cover your area. If it doesn't, then there should be some service in your area that tries to match people up with appropriate officiants.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Juniper posted:

Ask around. We ended up using the same officiant as a friend. He was an awesome, tattoo-laden guy who had done everything from very serious and formal weddings to full out pagan handfasting to mountaintop ceremonies with only 3 or 4 people there. Also, we told my husband's extended family that the officiant came as part of the wedding package because his grandfather is a minister and we didn't want him to be offended by not getting married by him.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

There's plenty of "religions" that would be fine with a ceremony sans religion. I am an atheist and my fiance is...to be decided I guess, and we are going to use a Unitarian Universalist minister. I have to admit I like the "feel" of having a minister/"religious" officiant. I mean, weddings are these crazy things with plenty of bizarre customs and rituals, so I might as well embrace that in my own special way. In any case, if that interests you, I know at minimum that UUs will do just about anything with pleasure, including pagan ceremonies. If you feel vaguely Christian but agnostic about the whole thing then a United Church of Christ minister would be perfect. On the other end of the spectrum, here are some atheist-centered but basically secular wedding ideas: http://atheists.org/Atheist_Weddings

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Juniper posted:

I don't know where you live, but my court-appointed officiant said she was prevented by law about saying anything religious during the ceremony (BC, Canada). Which was fine by us since we're both atheist. We were able to have free in-home consultations with any of the officiants that were available and we chose the second one we met... it was an easy process. And they only charge $75. We threw in an extra $100 cash tip because that is ridiculously low.

I had never been to a secular wedding before my own and it went great. Quick ceremony and on to the reception/fun stuff. Even most religious people don't want to sit around and listen to some guy go on for hours.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Juniper posted:

You mentioned that you had a venue decided, alot of times the people looking after the venues have good ideas and contacts for many different things. I know when we booked a hall for the reception and for the wedding (massive cordined off area) the manager of the venue literally gave us a massive book to look through for everything from DJs to Limos to officiants!

If you don't have anyone you are in close contact for the venue, check with the caterers. Many of the caterers have their own locations to host and generally have contact listings.

We ended up having a young woman officiant who was very helpful and offered a range of many different religious/non-religious options.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I am officially engaged! It didn't go exactly as planned, due to the ring taking so danged long to make, but hooray nonetheless!

Four jewelers and a ring-maker later, the ring is almost finished. It's still short two emeralds in the band, but I've ordered those. I should be able to take care of those last two tiny gaps in the band after Christmas.

For scale's sake, those emeralds are 1mm diameter. They're tiny.

The first jeweler I approached said the ring was impossible to make. She also said that it wasn't worth her time to find out where any of her stones were from, so I dropped her from the list pretty damned quickly. JohnnyRnR was able to acquire an awesome set of stones, and they were exactly what I was looking for. :)

I ended up finding a ring-maker in Chicago who could handle the whole 'wooden band' thing and thought he could do the weave and the inlay. He found out he didn't have the skill to do the molding on the weave, so he hired another jeweler to make it out of white gold. This jeweler was also supposed to set the stones into the band, but discovered that she couldn't do it either. She hired yet another jeweler to do all the settings into the weave. This new jeweler accounted for about two weeks of delays on her own, in addition to all the transfers / shipments that happened.

Finally, the weave and stones were finished. The weave was sent back to the ring-maker in Chicago who finished off the ring and sent it to me...

... and my girlfriend got tired of waiting and proposed two days before it got here. :lol:

I said yes. :)

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

Sundae posted:

Four jewelers and a ring-maker later, the ring is almost finished. It's still short two emeralds in the band, but I've ordered those. I should be able to take care of those last two tiny gaps in the band after Christmas.

holy crap. I LOVE that band

offtopic, when earrings are labeled 1 ct does that mean each is .5ct?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

seo posted:

holy crap. I LOVE that band

offtopic, when earrings are labeled 1 ct does that mean each is .5ct?

Yes, generally it will say 1 ct tw (total weight) somewhere in the advertisement.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Anyone got any suggestions for a good, very cheap place to get save the dates? My wedding is pretty big and our budget is getting a bit stretched, but our wedding is over a holiday weekend, so Save the Dates would be really nice. :)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

vanessa posted:

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a wedding around a holiday since many people will have time off/be planning to travel anyway, but New Year's Eve is really the worst day to have a wedding.
While the 'wedding day' might be a hassle to have on a holiday, I know people that have done that just so there will always be a 3-day weekend around their anniversary. Smart forward thinking, on some level.

Juniper posted:

In California, anyone can be ordained for a day, just by going to the county clerk's office for a 5-minute swearing-in ceremony. No weird internet religion required. Check for something similar in your state, and have your best friend(s) do it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Boxman posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for a good, very cheap place to get save the dates? My wedding is pretty big and our budget is getting a bit stretched, but our wedding is over a holiday weekend, so Save the Dates would be really nice. :)

You can get 100 postcards at Vista Print starting at $25. That's probably the cheapest price I ever saw when I was looking.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
We made ours-- we printed ours on business cards and then stuck them on business card sized magnets.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

GoreJess posted:

You can get 100 postcards at Vista Print starting at $25. That's probably the cheapest price I ever saw when I was looking.

And if you don't need them instantly you can try holding off on these for awhile to see if they go on sale. We got our 100 postcards for free when vista was having an awesome sale. Once you order from them they will also send you big discount offers all the drat time, which on one hand is kind of annoying, but on the other pretty spectacular; we got our invitations printed through them for super cheap too!

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

GoreJess posted:

Seconding this. We got ours from Vistaprint and ended up with 100 magnets for $30, shipping and all. It was pretty awesome.

If you do magnets through them, though, try to arrange your design so that the background is white. Ours is black, and the magnets weren't cut exactly evenly, leaving a very small but very uneven white border around each one. That's the only complaint we have.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Do they have the option of supplying an image with bleed? (where the image extends past where it's supposed to be cropped). It's almost impossible to avoid those white borders without bleed being provided unless they're cutting everything by hand.

WestofEden
Jun 28, 2008

I can't tell my left from right sometimes.
I would stay away from VistaPrint, only because I've had issues with them giving wonky results in return. For 19.90~ you can get 250 postcards from gotprint.com. I discovered them recently, and their prices and quality are awesome, and if you're in SoCal you can pick up the stuff from them instead of having it shipped. I hope this is helpful!

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I wanted to ask some advice about his brother and his wedding. He's marrying the first girlfriend he's ever dated this next summer and his fiancee dislikes me enough that she's made it pretty clear she dislikes me through a nasty facebook message or two.

I've told his brother that I don't support weddings due to whatever personal beliefs (and I have declined attending other ones) and secondly I don't want any bullshit drama to happen. Husband is going though. Am I expected to purchase a gift or attend any receptions/family dinners with them? I would really prefer not to as it's supposed to be her special day.

Lady Bug
Apr 23, 2006
My fiance and I have been engaged for over 6 months now and I think we've procrastinated long enough and need to start planning. :ohdear: I'm thinking we need a wedding planner but I have no idea how much that kind of service costs, how they charge, and how to go about finding one. Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, Christmas is over so our excuse on avoiding planning is coming to a close. The good thing is the wedding won't be until Fall 2012 (we aren't in a rush), so we have time. Some nice things so far:

1. My fiance's best friend gave us her old wedding dress. So that's already taken care of, and my fiance is ecstatic over it, its really nice apparently.
2. I think her parents found us a place (over in St Louis)
3. My old roommate is a DJ
4. We have the important stuff down: we know what drinks we want

Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to start planning things. I'm looking through the Op, any suggestions are always welcome. My big worry is i really want to have a good number of our friends there, and that would probably end up being the biggest expense (feeding them and whatnot).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Boxman posted:

Shutterfly is awesome for this. People thought we spent a lot of money on ours, they came really professional looking.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'd like to announce that two more goons are finally taking the big step:)
ntrepid/Josh(boyfriend of 2 years)'s hometown has a tradition of having Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus ride around town on the back of a firetruck on Christmas Eve. Since his grandpa is in charge of the Santa deal, Josh got Santa to deliver it as a special delivery.

We were at his grandpa's house, opening presents and heard the firetruck come down the street. Everyone booked it outdoors, since they knew what was going to happen. I casually strolled outside, and to my surprise, the firetruck stopped! Santa announced he had a special delivery to make to Josh, and when I saw the box get handed over, I knew what was up. The whole family took videos and pictures while he proposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Sundae posted:

I am officially engaged! It didn't go exactly as planned, due to the ring taking so danged long to make, but hooray nonetheless!

This is an awesome ring. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by finding out where the emeralds come from? Was there a specific type you wanted, or was there some sort of meaning in the geographic locale?

Over Christmas I had my ring redone. My boyfriend wanted to give me a specific custom ring, but his dad (the goldsmith), talked him out of it, so I ended up with a very simple, nice and ginormous (!) diamond that his dad assured him were what women wanted. Of course, when he told me about what he wanted to do, I agreed that his was the much better idea. We sat down with the artist his dad uses, who did up the wax, and his dad has done the casting and everything. We were hoping to have it done before we got home, but the gem-setter (apparently this is a profession unto itself - who knew?) is on vacation until early January, so when he gets back he's going to put in the stones and ship it out to us. I'm super excited, because so far it looks really neat. I was wanted some emeralds in it, but I guess they're quite soft and aren't much for longevity, so went with a sapphire and a ruby. Yours look like they're set in deep enough that they should be protected from most wear, I would think.