Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

hatersg2haet posted:

There needs to be a Lord of the Rings Criterion Collection.

6 weeks on the forums, 5 probations. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If Michael Bay can get two films in there all bets are off.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

They were all set to do Cook Thief Wife Lover but it fell through. Presumably for some sort of legal reasons.

Aaaag, knowing that it almost happened is kind of worse than knowing that it probably won't happen.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Just ordered For All Mankind and Paris, Texas on blu-ray from the amazon sale. I know nothing about For All Mankind except what I've heard about it being one of the best looking blu-rays, so I went for it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheYellowFog posted:

Just ordered For All Mankind and Paris, Texas on blu-ray from the amazon sale. I know nothing about For All Mankind except what I've heard about it being one of the best looking blu-rays, so I went for it.

It's a documentary about going to the moon, it rules

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Noxville posted:

If Michael Bay can get two films in there all bets are off.

Different time, different DVD market, different Criterion strategy. Would never happen nowadays - not to speak ill of the films necessarily, just based on their audience and current studio DVD marketing practices.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Different time, different DVD market, different Criterion strategy. Would never happen nowadays - not to speak ill of the films necessarily, just based on their audience and current studio DVD marketing practices.

They just put out Benjamin Button so it's not like only good movies get in. Considering Bay's current output I don't think we'll see another one of HIS movies but there's no reason to say another summer blockbuster type film won't ever get in.

They have to subsidize the rest of the collection somehow, you know?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

They just put out Benjamin Button so it's not like only good movies get in. Considering Bay's current output I don't think we'll see another one of HIS movies but there's no reason to say another summer blockbuster type film won't ever get in.

They have to subsidize the rest of the collection somehow, you know?

Benjamin Button was mainstream, but about as "art film" as the mainstream gets these days. It also was just Criterion branding - Paramount actually produced all the content and had final say on everything (down to it coming in a standard blue case instead of the Criterion cases).

And even that is an extreme outlier as it is the only such instance of Criterion releasing a mainstream new release film in quite a few years - the closest they do on a regular basis now is borderline-mainstream films from years past that never achieved widespread popularity (Darjeeling Limited, Thin Red Line). In the days of The Rock / Armageddon, mainstream films came out regularly (see: Silence of the Lambs, Robocop, Chasing Amy, etc. etc.). Going even further back to Laserdisc days and they had freakin' James Bond. The company's direction has changed considerably since the early days, and there is a clear trend away from the mainstream and towards the arthouse.

So while yes, I suppose "anything is possible" in the loosest of terms, I would not hold my breath waiting for more Michael Bay or similar styled films.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 20, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Benjamin Button was mainstream, but about as "art film" as the mainstream gets these days. It also was just Criterion branding - Paramount actually produced all the content and had final say on everything (down to it coming in a standard blue case instead of the Criterion cases).

And even that is an extreme outlier as it is the only such instance of Criterion releasing a mainstream new release film in quite a few years - the closest they do on a regular basis now is borderline-mainstream films from years past that never achieved widespread popularity (Darjeeling Limited, Thin Red Line). In the days of The Rock / Armageddon, mainstream films came out regularly (see: Silence of the Lambs, Robocop, Chasing Amy, etc. etc.). Going even further back to Laserdisc days and they had freakin' James Bond. The company's direction has changed considerably since the early days, and there is a clear trend away from the mainstream and towards the arthouse.

So while yes, I suppose "anything is possible" in the loosest of terms, I would not hold my breath waiting for more Michael Bay or similar styled films.

I think this is a lot less due to some noble commitment to "art films" and more because major studios realize the profitability of the DVD market and hold on to the big money-maker titles for themselves. I'm sure Criterion would release more mainstream movies if they could get their hands on them.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

I think this is a lot less due to some noble commitment to "art films" and more because major studios realize the profitability of the DVD market and hold on to the big money-maker titles for themselves. I'm sure Criterion would release more mainstream movies if they could get their hands on them.

That is definitely part of it. I didn't say Criterion was morally above releasing mainstream films - I said the DVD market and big studio practices have changed, and Criterion's strategy has changed in response. As the home video market has expanded, Criterion has found a niche they can flourish in.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Going even further back to Laserdisc days and they had freakin' James Bond.

Those laserdiscs are fun to collect. They'd do stuff like Boyz 'n the Hood, The Fisher King, Akira, Seven, Supercop, Baron Munchausen (the Gilliam version), Shine, and even Menace II Society. I'd actually love to see them go back to releasing a couple of 'mainstream' films in the collection every year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For the millionth time...

The Rock and Armageddon were Criterions because Disney was generally not doing anything more elaborate with DVDs besides including a trailer. Almost all of their early releases, inclusive of Anchor Bay licensed titles, were non-anamorphic if widescreen.

I'm sure Criterion would love to release anything, even mega-popular films like Star Wars, but they have to make do with what they're able to get their hands on. That's why I think it's great they have strong relationships with Fox, Universal, Paramount, and Sony. They release some catalog titles on their own, but it's clear they acknowledge the benefit of Criterion's treatment on select titles rather than taking a self-contained approach like Warner.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's kind of funny, in these days of multiple releases with extra add-ons, to remember that when DVDs first came out the "extra" was not only a big deal but basically non-existent, so when Criterion, a company already noted for their extras-loaded laserdiscs, puts out a release like Silence Of The Lambs with commentary, deleted scenes, storyboards, a crime manual, and criminal transcripts it's a huge step above the equivalent MGM release, which had...nothing. It wasn't until a couple years later that the studios started doing the equivalent, which unfortunately means that there are loads of great films still hanging around with lovely barebones discs (Annie Hall).

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
Carlos is coming to The Criterion Collection in 2011 apperently.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/exclusive_olivier_assayas_carlos_headed_to_the_criterion_collection/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toro913 posted:

Carlos is coming to The Criterion Collection in 2011 apperently.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/exclusive_olivier_assayas_carlos_headed_to_the_criterion_collection/

Oh god damnit, I just imported this.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm sure Criterion would love to release anything, even mega-popular films like Star Wars, but they have to make do with what they're able to get their hands on.

They have put out Lucasfilm productions before....

edit: Fingers crossed for Captain Eo!

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 21, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Oh god damnit, I just imported this.

Yeah that's the #1 reason why I don't like importing. Already been burned on Double Life of Veronique.

The most interesting thing about that story is apparently Criterion turned down the chance to release Enter the Void.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FitFortDanga posted:

The most interesting thing about that story is apparently Criterion turned down the chance to release Enter the Void.

I liked Enter the Void to a point, but I can see why they wouldn't release it. I've always hoped they would pick up the rights to I Stand Alone, though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Origami Dali posted:

I liked Enter the Void to a point, but I can see why they wouldn't release it. I've always hoped they would pick up the rights to I Stand Alone, though.

I could see them doing an Eclipse set with I Stand Alone and his various short films. Maybe Irreversible too.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

codyclarke posted:

I could see them doing an Eclipse set with I Stand Alone and his various short films. Maybe Irreversible too.

I don't think Noe's filmography or stature warrants an Eclipse release.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

I don't think Noe's filmography or stature warrants an Eclipse release.

Why not? He's done a bunch of shorts that aren't easily available to see, plus his work lends itself to essays. And I think there would be interest. If not an Eclipse set than at least a regular set.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Why not? He's done a bunch of shorts that aren't easily available to see, plus his work lends itself to essays. And I think there would be interest. If not an Eclipse set than at least a regular set.

Yeah, it'd need to be a regular set since he regularly does interviews about his work, and there would probably be a plethora of supplements they could put on a set. Not much of a Noe fan, but I'm surprised Criterion hasn't taken the plunge with one of his movies, given that they released stuff like "Salo" (which, strangely enough, Noe did a screening/discussion for at the IFC Center in Manhattan), "In the Realm of the Senses", and "Antichrist".

Slightly more on topic, I'm hearing rumors here and there that Criterion is going to be releasing "Red River" at some point, with an alternate director's cut. Anyone else here heard about that one?

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
The America Lost and Found Blu-ray set is on sale at Barnes and Noble for $62.49 right now. Coupled with coupon code C3N8F7W, it comes down to $53.11.

I absolutely couldn't resist it at that price.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Eric WK posted:

The America Lost and Found Blu-ray set is on sale at Barnes and Noble for $62.49 right now. Coupled with coupon code C3N8F7W, it comes down to $53.11.

I absolutely couldn't resist it at that price.

Thank you! I've been wanting this set for awhile, now I have a perfect excuse to get it.

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.

Eric WK fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 1, 2011

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Eric WK posted:

How fun! I'm always really bad at these though :(

I see Carlos, Insignificance, Wild Strawberries, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Wild Strawberries, and uhh I guess that suitcase is Pulp Fiction but that would be kind of lame :/

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Spaceship in the upper left is from Solaris.

Red circle around Sunday = Le Cercle Rouge?

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 1, 2011

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Red circle around Sunday = Le Cercle Rouge?

I thought of Sunday Bloody Sunday, I remember hearing a rumor about it sometime.

The globe is probably The Great Dictator and the ghost cat (???) would be Kuroneko.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some other speculation, courtesy of cf.org and criterioncast:

Globe = The Great Dictator
Kid w/ suitcase = Zero for Conduct
Suitcase = Kiss Me Deadly
Boat = L'Atalante
Calendar = People on Sunday or Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Ghost cat = Kuroneko
Coffee can = White Material
Guy in drag handcuffed to boat = Some Like It Hot (I really doubt this)

The ones that really seem to be stumping everyone are the guy chained to the boat, the head in the water, and the woman in her underwear(?). The last one looks like Saraghina to me, but since we already have 8 1/2, I guess that's wrong.

Out of all of those possibilities, the ones that most excite me are Wild Strawberries and People on Sunday.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

I just saw a guess that the head is a clue for Diabolique, which is a pretty good guess. I didn't get that the person chained to be the boat was in drag, I thought that it was like an old granny lady, but I still have no guesses.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Criterion Forum people seem think the guy in drag is Woody Allen. The closest connection I can make is the beauty contest scene in Sleeper, though.

edit edit: If Wild Strawberries is getting a Blu, I hope they got the rights to the parody short "De Duva: The Dove". I emailed about that when it wasn't included on The Seventh Seal, but they couldn't get them in time. Bergman saw it and thought it was hilarious.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2QmLWWxq4

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 1, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Cooter posted:

I didn't get that the person chained to be the boat was in drag, I thought that it was like an old granny lady, but I still have no guesses.

It's the hairy legs.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

I wonder if the snow is supposed to be a clue, or if it's just a festive touch?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

If Wild Strawberries is getting a Blu, I hope they got the rights to the parody short "De Duva: The Dove". I emailed about that when it wasn't included on The Seventh Seal, but they couldn't get them in time. Bergman saw it and thought it was hilarious.

Oh God, I'd buy that the day it comes out if it had De Duva on it. Great stuff. Glad to hear Bergman saw it and liked it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Cooter posted:

I wonder if the snow is supposed to be a clue, or if it's just a festive touch?

I'm inclined to say clue, but it's so vague I dunno. It could be anything... The Ice Storm on Blu?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Man in drag = Cul de Sac

A movie that has long been on my "need to see" list.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Man in drag = Cul de Sac

A movie that has long been on my "need to see" list.

Ahh it's so good you will like it :neckbeard:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

It's the hairy legs.

Reminds me of Woody Allen, I thought Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is the "guy" in front supposed to be Einstein?

Also, I really am hoping for Diabolique. I've been holding out on buying it for a long time because I figured one of these days it would get a better release with lots of extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is the "guy" in front supposed to be Einstein?

Yes, that's apparently Insignificance (another one I haven't seen, but I'm not much of a Nic Roeg fan)