Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Aircraft posted:

It was, actually - you probably wouldn't want to pull out that lens if there's an Apache attack helicopter circling ominously overhead

Yeah seriously.

Actually, on a crop body 500 mm should have about a 3 degree field of view, enough to resolve the Gallilean moons. The lunar eclipse on 20th would be sweet too but it's raining all next week :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I know sending a camera up in a weather balloon to take photos/video of earth from way up high isn't exactly ground-breaking at this point, but I just stumbled across a project from a couple MIT kids who did it, on a ridiculously small budget ($150), and documented the whole process pretty well: http://space.1337arts.com/

My buddy and I have been talking casually for the past couple months about trying this, and after seeing how simply they overcame a few of the basic problems I was struggling with, in addition to the low budget, I think we're really gonna go for it.

We're planning on gathering materials and testing throughout January and hopefully launching sometime in February. I'll be sure to start a thread once we've made any real progress to gather input because I'm sure you smart people will have lots of good ideas that I otherwise wouldn't think of!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

pseudonordic posted:

It's a camera made specifically for taking a poo poo ton of portraits in a single session. Mostly used for school pictures. I've seen a pair of these listed on the local craigslist. No idea what kind of film would be needed to go in them.

70mm film :science:

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

I know sending a camera up in a weather balloon to take photos/video of earth from way up high isn't exactly ground-breaking at this point, but I just stumbled across a project from a couple MIT kids who did it, on a ridiculously small budget ($150), and documented the whole process pretty well: http://space.1337arts.com/

My buddy and I have been talking casually for the past couple months about trying this, and after seeing how simply they overcame a few of the basic problems I was struggling with, in addition to the low budget, I think we're really gonna go for it.

We're planning on gathering materials and testing throughout January and hopefully launching sometime in February. I'll be sure to start a thread once we've made any real progress to gather input because I'm sure you smart people will have lots of good ideas that I otherwise wouldn't think of!

I looked into doing something like this when the $150 project first made the rounds. Note that one of their professors donated the helium. Unless you get helium donated you won't be able to do it on anywhere near a $150 budget. Should still be possible under $1000 though.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
What about hydrogen.

EDIT: I've recently been thinking about the various merits of say, making a really nice portfolio page, and having some nice business cards printed up for art photography then pulling a stunt like standing in disease infested lake for a few days to take photos or attaching balloons to a chair and taking photos of the curvature of the earth, whilst breaking plenty of FAA laws.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 20, 2010

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I love flying cameras, and I gently caress around with a rc plane and a little keyfob camera. I've looked into the balloon thing, and the helium is going to be about 100$ as far as I can tell, unless you have a wholesale source or something. But yeah, it's as simple as a camera with chdk and a cheap cell phone that can trasmit its position. The helium is the most expensive part.

I've looked into using hydrogen, and it seems that the best way to do it if you can. I know simply mixing worx toliet cleaner and aluminum will generate it, but I'm pretty sure there is a toxic by product.

ease fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 20, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ease posted:

I love flying cameras, and I gently caress around with a rc plane and a little keyfob camera. I've looked into the balloon thing, and the helium is going to be about 100$ as far as I can tell, unless you have a wholesale source or something. But yeah, it's as simple as a camera with chdk and a cheap cell phone that can trasmit its position. The helium is the most expensive part.

If you don't need the aircraft to go far, you can buy a remote control helicopter with a video camera built in for around $50 at the toy store. I believe it's the Air Hogs Hawkeye or something like that.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

What about hydrogen.

EDIT: I've recently been thinking about the various merits of say, making a really nice portfolio page, and having some nice business cards printed up for art photography then pulling a stunt like standing in disease infested lake for a few days to take photos or attaching balloons to a chair and taking photos of the curvature of the earth, whilst breaking plenty of FAA laws.

Get a kickstarter I would pledge some bux to see you do this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helmacron posted:

or attaching balloons to a chair and taking photos of the curvature of the earth, whilst breaking plenty of FAA laws.

That's the fun of weather balloons: as long as the payload is under a certain weight and dimensions, it's completely unregulated and you can float whatever you want.

So leave off the chair part and avoid launching the thing near an airport, the FAA won't care at all. Their biggest concern is what happens to an airplane that runs into it.. if it doesn't crash a plane, it's fair game.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

It's "real"

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

That's the fun of weather balloons: as long as the payload is under a certain weight and dimensions, it's completely unregulated and you can float whatever you want.

If it has a cell phone as part of its payload you would still be violating FCC regulations. Not that anyone cares.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Cross_ posted:

If it has a cell phone as part of its payload you would still be violating FCC regulations. Not that anyone cares.

Okay, I'm curious. Why wouldn't the FCC allow you to send a cell phone up on a balloon?

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

I saw a winning entry in a photography contest posted in this forum a while back, it was an adult French man facing left sitting nude in a chair, square crop. The caption explained his mother had died recently. Does anybody have a link? Google isn't getting me anything.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

ease posted:

I've looked into the balloon thing, and the helium is going to be about 100$ as far as I can tell

It's probably cheaper in America. It looked to be about $500 worth here in Australia.

Jack Ipseity
May 9, 2008

silsor posted:

I saw a winning entry in a photography contest posted in this forum a while back, it was an adult French man facing left sitting nude in a chair, square crop. The caption explained his mother had died recently. Does anybody have a link? Google isn't getting me anything.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitpaille/3271543571/

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Well I didn't get into any art galleries next year. I sent proposals to four. I also didn't get into any universities. I applied to three. I don't actually feel sorry for myself. Just perturbed. I heard nothing back from any of them and then a rash of rejections. I spent a couple hundred just printing photos for everything.

I'm going to start sending proposals to stores that just sell artwork. I gave a couple CD's to people in stores like that and they always put them in like, an in-tray and say "we'll have a look at them later" and I stand there awkwardly, thank them and leave. And never hear anything back ever.

And if this doesn't work, I'll have to, I don't know. I'm at a loss. Do my plan higher up this page and purchase a weather balloon and a deck chair.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

murphle posted:

Okay, I'm curious. Why wouldn't the FCC allow you to send a cell phone up on a balloon?

Basically the FCC is concerned that a phone traversing multiple cells quickly might cause malfunctions during tower handoffs. Wikipedia has some details on that. The legal text is here:
http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/925-prohibition-airborne-cellular-telephones-19847813

Since the FAA also prohibits cell phone use on airliners and during IFR (instrument flights) for safety reasons, they never really bothered checking whether there is a reason to uphold the ban: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

Note that private and commercial pilots are free to use cell phones according to FAA regulations, but not according to FCC. All my flight instructors left their cell phones on while in the air for what it's worth.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Didn't mythbusters radiate a whole bunch of microwaves into a cockpit to see if any extreme case could affect flight instruments and find it really doesn't?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I thought they just wanted all cell phones off in planes because it used to be super annoying, listening to the phones send out their lonely "I'm here" calls on the dark bytes of the universe that your speakers pick up.

They don't do that, anymore though. Or not nearly as bad.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ease posted:

Didn't mythbusters radiate a whole bunch of microwaves into a cockpit to see if any extreme case could affect flight instruments and find it really doesn't?

I got into an argument with a pilot who was flying next to me once over EMI because he's a pilot and I'm an aerospace systems engineer. There's effectively no threat to the plane, despite what he said. afaik, it's a safety hazard in the case of an emergency and may be disruptive to the cell network to have people reregister across cells rapidly as they move in the air.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

ease posted:

Ah Mythbusters, never getting tired of trying to prove a negative.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

it's a safety hazard in the case of an emergency

How so?

Also, my dad who was a pilot used to get free calls back in the days when mobile phone calls cost as much as satellite calls do now. Something about being at FL200 and moving fast confusing the towers just enough to not bill him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Captain Postal posted:

How so?

I'd guess because once some people turn on a phone, they become oblivious to everything around them.

Up to, and including, actual flames.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Captain Postal posted:

How so?

Probably taxes the network as they all handover from cell to cell rapidly. So keeping the network up in case of emergency= good.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is how I roll :whatup:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

psylent posted:

That's sweet but I would worry about someone breaking into my car to steal the 2500 dollar lens it seems like I own.

Then they come back and piss inside my open car because they found out that it was actually 1.75 worth of coffee. And drank it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
That one looks like the lens proper, my model has a spout on top and not a lens cap.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yeah that's the real one. I picked it up from the rental place and needed somewhere to put it while loading poo poo into my car.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Helmacron posted:

Well I didn't get into any art galleries next year. I sent proposals to four. I also didn't get into any universities. I applied to three. I don't actually feel sorry for myself. Just perturbed. I heard nothing back from any of them and then a rash of rejections. I spent a couple hundred just printing photos for everything.

I'm going to start sending proposals to stores that just sell artwork. I gave a couple CD's to people in stores like that and they always put them in like, an in-tray and say "we'll have a look at them later" and I stand there awkwardly, thank them and leave. And never hear anything back ever.

And if this doesn't work, I'll have to, I don't know. I'm at a loss. Do my plan higher up this page and purchase a weather balloon and a deck chair.

Have you shown work anywhere in public before? If not, try non-traditional galleries first to get some resume experience. It's pretty easy to get shows in places like bookstores, local libraries, or coffee shops. From there, look for local "Calls for Art" or group shows. Once you've got some showing experience listed on paper, galleries are more likely to pay attention to you.

If you already know what you're doing though, disregard this. I'm trying to work through that stuff too and it definitely takes awhile. Being able to schmooze people is really damned important if you want to get into shows - go to their openings, chat 'em up, drink their booze, then mention the proposal again when they know who you are. That might help too.

Just don't be like this guy I know on facebook:

"if I do not get excepted for the photography group... which I'm sure I will... but if not I will be retiring from photography..."

(dude shoots nothing but HDR myspacey shots with the $4000 setup he bought on a whim, threatens to quit photography every month or so and always gets a slew of "no you are too good you can't quit!" messages, it rules)

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 23, 2010

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really like the Visuals by Laforet app. He does make me feel really bad about my own photographic abilities, though... :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

rear end is my canvas posted:

Probably taxes the network as they all handover from cell to cell rapidly. So keeping the network up in case of emergency= good.

that was the second pt. the safety one was the oblivious passengers.

psylent posted:

speaking of safety, watch out for apaches.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

tuyop posted:

I really like the Visuals by Laforet app. He does make me feel really bad about my own photographic abilities, though... :(

thank goodness I can finally know what the proper settings are to get a good shot of the new york skyline

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I waited till the last minute to print out a photogift, and my printer decides it only wants to print half pages for a while and the run out of ink. Using CVSs online photo printing store, hoping for Christmas magic for ok quality.

E: Conclusion : CVS has a better printer than I do.

ease fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 24, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Whenever I want decent prints quick I use Target's one-hour (not instant) service. Pretty good results for cheap. I printed four 8x10s this morning for copout Christmas gifts for a grand total of like six bucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did mine at blacks. Five 8x10s and two 5x7s for 30 bucks. They look really good though.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I use costco. Pretty cheap and they have color profiles available for their printers.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I use Costco too. The Norinco printer at mine is spot on with my prints after I calibrated my monitor and used the profiles at drycreekphoto.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So this is pretty f'ing cool:

Lightning Captured by X-Ray Camera - A First

quote:

The first x-ray images of a lightning strike have been captured by a, well, lightning-fast camera, scientists say. The pictures suggest a lightning bolt carries all its x-ray radiation in its tip. (Get lightning facts.)

During recent thunderstorms in Camp Blanding, Florida, the camera's electronic shutter "froze" a lightning bolt—artificially triggered by rockets and wires—as it sped toward the ground at one-sixth the speed of light.

"Something moving this fast would go from the Earth to the moon in less than ten seconds," said Joseph Dwyer, a lightning researcher at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne.

Scientists have known for several years that lightning emits radiation, said Dwyer, who revealed the photos at an annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco earlier this month.

But until now scientists didn't have the technology to take x-ray images quickly enough to see where the radiation comes from, he said.

(Read "New Lightning Type Found Over Volcano?")

Lightning Imaged by 1,500-Pound Camera

Making a camera capable of taking such quick images was an achievement in and of itself, Dwyer emphasized.

"You can't just go buy a camera and point it at lightning," he said. "We had to make it."

The resulting 1,500-pound (680-kilogram) camera—created by Dwyer's graduate student Meagan Schaal—consists of an x-ray detector housed in a box about the size and shape of a refrigerator. The box is lined with lead to shield the x-ray detector from stray radiation.

X-rays enter the box through a small hole that in turn focuses them, like an old-fashioned pinhole camera.

Speedy Trade-Off: Less Data Space

Because lightning moves blindingly fast, the camera was required to take ten million images per second. (Interactive: Make your own lightning strike.)

One challenge in taking such fast pictures is storing the data. To do so, the x-ray detector had to take pictures at a relatively low resolution of 30 pixels, which produced images on a crude, hexagonal grid—as shown in the chart below.

A chart shows x-ray observations of a lightning discharge.
Diagram courtesy Joseph Dwyer

Even so, the resolution was sharp enough to reveal a bright ball of x-rays at the head of the bolt, with almost no lingering radiation along the bolt's trail.

"Almost all the x-rays are from the tip," Dwyer said. "We see the x-ray source descending with the lightning at up to one-sixth the speed of light."

Triggered Lightning Effective

The lightning bolts were triggered by launching small rockets into the thunderstorms. (See "Volcanic Lightning Sparked by 'Dirty Thunderstorms,' Study Finds.")

The rockets trailed wires behind them to direct the lightning through the camera's field of view.

Artificially triggering the lightning strike likely didn't alter the natural workings of the thunderstorm, Dwyer noted.

And, he said, "the advantage of triggered lightning is that we can repeat it."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Ah Mythbusters, never getting tired of trying to prove a negative.
They said at the end that they can't rule out something they didn't encounter in testing.

Helmacron posted:

I thought they just wanted all cell phones off in planes because it used to be super annoying, listening to the phones send out their lonely "I'm here" calls on the dark bytes of the universe that your speakers pick up.

They don't do that, anymore though. Or not nearly as bad.
GSM phones still buzz and it's obnoxious as hell because it's always *speaker's phone next to mic causes buzz* *everyone glares at A/V guy in the back*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

bobfather posted:

I use Costco too. The Norinco printer at mine is spot on with my prints after I calibrated my monitor and used the profiles at drycreekphoto.

Doesen't Norinco make weapons and poo poo for the Chinese military?