Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I don't know really, that it's easy to set up and has high res pictures. I tried it on my friends xperia which I assumed was AOSP? I honestly don't know, I've just been really happy with how sense has been holding up. Maybe it's time I just install MIUI and try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Flyndre posted:

I don't know really, that it's easy to set up and has high res pictures. I tried it on my friends xperia which I assumed was AOSP? I honestly don't know, I've just been really happy with how sense has been holding up. Maybe it's time I just install MIUI and try it myself.

You have to manually join contacts that don't have matching names as it has no automatic fuzzy searching, and the contact photos will become lovely at large sizes once they sync with Google.

That's just AOSP, but on the plus side it doesn't insert retarded HTC specific data in your contacts' notes fields, and actually syncs photos to GMail.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Can't wait to see the new MIUI stuff, they've got some great ideas. I actually use Launcher Pro with MIUI on my G2, and it's a fun combination.

I do have a question about nandroid backups, though - I have a single nandroid backup of the stock G2 image before I started flashing ROMS. I'd like to pull the genie app/widget (google news and weather) out and install it, since it's not available on the market. Is there an app that extracts things out of the nandroid? Or is there a way to do this type of thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

Can't wait to see the new MIUI stuff, they've got some great ideas. I actually use Launcher Pro with MIUI on my G2, and it's a fun combination.

I do have a question about nandroid backups, though - I have a single nandroid backup of the stock G2 image before I started flashing ROMS. I'd like to pull the genie app/widget (google news and weather) out and install it, since it's not available on the market. Is there an app that extracts things out of the nandroid? Or is there a way to do this type of thing?

xda, man. There's also a transparent widget for it too if you'd like.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

xda, man. There's also a transparent widget for it too if you'd like.
For some reason, every one I try from XDA gives me a force close error when I try to launch it. That one just did, as well. Besides, I think the version my G2 shipped with is a newer version.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is there anything specific I need to know before I flash a Desire on 64-bit Windows 7?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there anything specific I need to know before I flash a Desire on 64-bit Windows 7?
Windows isn't doing the flashing, Android is, so your OS doesn't matter.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Civil posted:

Ah handy, thanks :)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Managed to soft brick my phone this morning. I've got an HTC Incredible and downloaded the .92 Hboot and flashed it. For whatever reason it doesn't ever let my phone boot past Hboot anymore. I can get into recovery just fine but trying to reboot or pulling the battery and booting it up just tosses me back to hboot. No clue why this happened. Anyone have a link to .79 hboot sitting around or willing to help me find it? Googling it is a huge pain in the rear end because it's all just forum threads asking for help on stupid poo poo.

Worst case scenario I'll get one of the newer RUUs if I can find that and run it then reroot and restore my backup.

e: wound up just running the latest RUU and re-rooting. much less of a hassle than trying to find a specific hboot apparently. And this RUU gave me .92 and it's not being an issue at all!

baram. fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 24, 2010

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Civil posted:

not quite true. I flashed an SBF and windows 64bit was loving up the file names, causing it to fail.

BrassMonkey
May 10, 2003

Mr. Paradise
Anyone rooted a new EVO recently? Any tips?

Following instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865204

And installing CM6.1.1 from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735596

I see threads mentioning losing 4G permanently. I know it is disabled in CM but apparently this is something different. Does anyone know how this is happening? I hear 4G is rolling out in the bay area soon, and I don't want to miss out.

Edit: I guess by reading around, it sounds like I have to update the radios to install the latest CM. Everywhere else I read makes it seem like not a big deal, but the OP here makes it sound scary. Thoughts?

BrassMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 24, 2010

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

BrassMonkey posted:

I see threads mentioning losing 4G permanently. I know it is disabled in CM but apparently this is something different. Does anyone know how this is happening? I hear 4G is rolling out in the bay area soon, and I don't want to miss out.

I don't know anything about the rooting process or 4G breaking, but I have read that CM recently got 4G working on the Evo, so that shouldn't deter you from that.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

yamdankee posted:

Just hoping someone can help Rye Bread and myself out. RSD Lite just doesn't see the Droid X. I don't have to use it, though.

Simply, all I want to do is install the .340 update and update to Tranquility 3.6.0, too. I'm running Tranquility 3.0 right now. I can't restore my backup for some reason.

I figured it out on my end. It was a Win7 x64 issue of some sort on the 2 PCs that I first tried. Busted out my work laptop (Vista 32), and it flashed and rooted fine.

Couldn't even root my Incredible today on Win7 either. Tried it on Vista 32, and perfection.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
What are some good ROMs I should look into for a CDMA Desire on US Cellular?

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

yamdankee posted:

I want to upgrade my Droid X running Tranquility 3.0 on the .315 update to the .340 update that keeps notifying me, and update to Tranquility 3.6.0 while I'm at it.

Tried restoring a backup I had when I was rooted on stock ROM - won't restore it. Just reboots whenever it tries to restore.

Tried finding a stock 2.2 rom for the Droid X - I'm not having any luck. If one exists, could someone show me where to download it and if it would be safe to install it with ROM Manager?

In the mean time I tried SBFing, but RSD Lite can't see my Droid X on either of my computers. Any ideas?

Heh. I was stuck where you were for quite a while. Assuming your bootloader is 3.04, you need to sbf to the .320 leak, then install the 4 leaked .340 updates (radio, system, bootloader...and some other poo poo. They come in a pack released by Team Black Hat) from clockwork recovery (using Droid X bootstrapper). Then...root using z4root, install your rom as usual.

As far as your computer not seeing your phone...are you booted into the bootloader? Also, try using a virtual machine with some small linux live cd ISO with sbf_flash. I'm on a mac and it was pretty much my only option, and it was easy as poo poo. Stick your sbf files on a flash drive along with sbf_flash. Make sure the flash drive is plugged into the VM. Open a terminal in the linux vm, navigate to the flash drive, type chmod +x sbf_flash, type ./sbf_flash sbfwhateverthenameofyoursbffileis, and sit back. Super easy, I promise.

Paco de Suave fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 24, 2010

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
New UI didn't make it into today's MIUI update but a new shiny gallery beta did:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
do you know offhand if we can get the gallery only from MIUI? I don't really want the whole thing, but that gallery looks nice.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

deong posted:

do you know offhand if we can get the gallery only from MIUI? I don't really want the whole thing, but that gallery looks nice.

If it's anything like the music, SMS and phone apps, no. They have custom frameworks that the new apps are built upon, similar to Sense etc.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Neurophonic posted:

If it's anything like the music, SMS and phone apps, no. They have custom frameworks that the new apps are built upon, similar to Sense etc.

That's kind of what I was expecting. Oh well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh, hey. A semi complete Gingerbread ROM for the N1.

Theeeeeeeen it's shitted up with a bunch of retarded crap.

quote:

Google Apps added:
*Market
*Gmail
*YouTube
*CarHome
*Maps
*Latitude
*Navigation
*New and Weather
*Google Search
*Facebook
*Google Voice
If you can get it with the Market then don't prepackage it.

quote:

Other Apps:
*Trackball Alerts by lilHermit
*Quickboot
*Astro
*TitaniumBackup
*Terminal
*Call Blocker
...and more
Ugh. Sometimes I just want to hit these people. :ughh:

I would also like to mention that if you read the OP you can see that some poo poo is pre themed too. Why can't these asshats just leave the bling at the door? Half the crap I flash outside of CM I spend an hour cleaning out.

edit: I realize I'm being a little nitpicky in this complaint but it's disheartening to watch actual ROM development go down the toilet. Most everything you see on XDA is someone else's work with MAD TYTE THEMEZ and a bunch of preinstalled apps that any dolt can just get from the Market.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 24, 2010

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
DONATE IF YOU LIKE IT! :byodood:

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

flyboi posted:

DONATE IF YOU LIKE IT! :byodood:

I really love people who ask for donations in their "signatures" simply for HELPING OUT PEOPLE.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

zarg posted:

Yeah they look really solid for the price. Really excited to get mine tonight. I'll report back once I've rooted it and let you know how stuff like tethering to an iphone works, and how netflix goes over wifi, as those are 2 things I'm eager to test. Also going to work on getting some sort of doc editing going on 2.1, if that's possible. Froyo has been released for the Nook, (yesterday) but I'm sticking with 2.1 until 2.2 is more stable, so my tests will be on 2.1.

Update: About 70% done with my Nook's setup. Rooted and running 2.1 with ADW as my launcher. Superuser and ADB are set up, sideloading works great. No lag or any issues with the hardware, aside from some wifi stuff that might just be a problem with my home network.

I've yet to try tetherting, and netflix didnt work on the first try. I'll keep looking into this and post a trip report once I've got an answer.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Didn't see it mentioned but it appears Cyanogen is hard at work on CM7 and almost done - Nightlies are probably starting soon and you can flash a bootable ROM from their source. Only thing not working (besides obvious like 4G) is video recording. (Source: Cyanogen's twitter account)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

edit: I realize I'm being a little nitpicky in this complaint but it's disheartening to watch actual ROM development go down the toilet. Most everything you see on XDA is someone else's work with MAD TYTE THEMEZ and a bunch of preinstalled apps that any dolt can just get from the Market.

The only groups that have actual dev skill are Team Douche and the MIUI crew. From my personal anecdote with the Slide community, everything is either based off of CM6 or it's a half-baked Sense UI ROM that's themed unnecessarily.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh, hey. A semi complete Gingerbread ROM for the N1.

Theeeeeeeen it's shitted up with a bunch of retarded crap.

If you can get it with the Market then don't prepackage it.

I'm fine with them packaging as many Google apps as possible into /system - I can uninstall them if I hate them, and it's a lot easier than moving from /data to /system, even if they're on the Market.

And yeah, been eyeing that GB rom, but the performance results showed below Froyo so I don't think it's actually accelerated in any way yet.

Binary
May 21, 2004
I've got a G2 on order and I'm trying to make sure I know how to root it before it arrives. I think I've got the procedure down for permanent root but I'm confused by some of the terminology. When a device is said to be rooted that means you have root access in linux terms on the phone's OS right? So does that mean you are rooting the current ROM on the phone or are you unlocking something else in the hardware?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I got my replacement Evo, and rooting is apparently much more involved (and requires windows?) than before. poo poo. Any tips/advice before I attempt this (I'm doing this on a night I haven't touched alcohol)?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Casao posted:

I'm fine with them packaging as many Google apps as possible into /system - I can uninstall them if I hate them, and it's a lot easier than moving from /data to /system, even if they're on the Market.

And yeah, been eyeing that GB rom, but the performance results showed below Froyo so I don't think it's actually accelerated in any way yet.

This is why I love TitantiumBackup's new 'Integrate with ROM' option for apps now. I have an S-OFF'd HTC Desire, so moving apps into my /system directory is awesome.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Casao posted:

I've been using it since .06 I believe. Works pretty well except for network location, but I don't think that works on any GB rom so far. At least for the N1. While it's not mind-blowingly fast, I actually notice a lot of stuff is smoother than Froyo. Scrolling through menus/feeds specifically.

The only reason I'm actually using it is so I can think to myself that I've got the latest and greatest poo poo around though. It's not that spectacular.

All the extra bullshit is easily removed too.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I was just reading the new Evo root thread at XDA, and apparently unrevoked breaks 4G? When did this happen? I rooted pretty much as soon as unrevoked came to be, so I am going to be pretty disappointed if I broke my phone without ever knowing about it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Binary posted:

I've got a G2 on order and I'm trying to make sure I know how to root it before it arrives. I think I've got the procedure down for permanent root but I'm confused by some of the terminology. When a device is said to be rooted that means you have root access in linux terms on the phone's OS right? So does that mean you are rooting the current ROM on the phone or are you unlocking something else in the hardware?

Sorta. With the old G1 you would just root the ROM and from there you could flash new recoveries and ROMs that already come "rooted". If you flashed a stock ROM you would lose root.

With the G2 there is this other setting in the bootloader that needs to be changed in order to flash new ROMS and such (S-OFF).

Look at the link I posted on how to root a G2. It's that easy. The hardest part is getting ADB running if you've never done that before.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Paco de Suave posted:

Heh. I was stuck where you were for quite a while. Assuming your bootloader is 3.04, you need to sbf to the .320 leak, then install the 4 leaked .340 updates (radio, system, bootloader...and some other poo poo. They come in a pack released by Team Black Hat) from clockwork recovery (using Droid X bootstrapper). Then...root using z4root, install your rom as usual.

As far as your computer not seeing your phone...are you booted into the bootloader? Also, try using a virtual machine with some small linux live cd ISO with sbf_flash. I'm on a mac and it was pretty much my only option, and it was easy as poo poo. Stick your sbf files on a flash drive along with sbf_flash. Make sure the flash drive is plugged into the VM. Open a terminal in the linux vm, navigate to the flash drive, type chmod +x sbf_flash, type ./sbf_flash sbfwhateverthenameofyoursbffileis, and sit back. Super easy, I promise.

Thank you for the help. My bootloader is 30.03. Does that make a difference?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept, Android 2.1, fresh from Best Buy. Has anyone here successfully upgraded and/or rooted one of these? There's some SuperSixty1 guy on Youtube but he splits his steps across videos and has an unfortunate speech impediment, so I can't figure it out to a degree I'd be comfortable with.

I just need some idiot-proof steps to backup what I have (or find a store-bought configuration I can restore to) and then get this done.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Turnquiet posted:

I was just reading the new Evo root thread at XDA, and apparently unrevoked breaks 4G? When did this happen? I rooted pretty much as soon as unrevoked came to be, so I am going to be pretty disappointed if I broke my phone without ever knowing about it.
I don't know, does 4G work for you? If you got your EVO more than about a month ago, you're not using the newest hboot anyway, and whatever issue they are talking about doesn't apply. Unrevoked doesn't break 4G up until recently, if that's true.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
Unrevoked v2 from a long time ago did, and the newest version of amon-ra recovery does a better job backing up RSA keys for 4g than clockwork.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Edit: Nevermind figured it out

the aftermath fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 25, 2010

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Rohaq posted:

This is why I love TitantiumBackup's new 'Integrate with ROM' option for apps now.

Holy poo poo. How did I miss this? That really is awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I have a Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept, Android 2.1, fresh from Best Buy. Has anyone here successfully upgraded and/or rooted one of these?

Woo OK, I sat down and trudged through that stuttering dudes's videos. I'm posting from a Barnacle tether on my laptop. Not bad for a $25 a month plan. For anyone else on Virgin Mobile's "Beyond Talk Plan" with an Intercept, follow this Youtube to the letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=statBon1mqE

Now then, can anyone recommend me a rom for general better performance, simpler UI? What are the good ones? I'll be damned if I'm going to let any non-goon internet recommend me one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I got my replacement Evo, and rooting is apparently much more involved (and requires windows?) than before. poo poo. Any tips/advice before I attempt this (I'm doing this on a night I haven't touched alcohol)?

Don't think anyone tried helping you on this. For almost every Sense phone, you can usually root with ease using Unrevoked: http://unrevoked.com/ (Though i've heard the latest EVO's might require advanced steps to root, but give it a try.)