Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

drasticactions posted:

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 1, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked the braless hippie chick who wanted to be Thumbelina.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Haven't gotten any non-shorts from Rifftrax since back when you had to have some stupid special DRM-y DivX thing.

What does the VoD option give you these days? Just an avi, or do I still have to install special software?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bobulus posted:

Haven't gotten any non-shorts from Rifftrax since back when you had to have some stupid special DRM-y DivX thing.

What does the VoD option give you these days? Just an avi, or do I still have to install special software?

You'll have a choice of several formats: divx, mp4, mpeg and wmv

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?
Watched Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny last night. I just totally lost it when the ice cream bunny finally showed up like 10 minutes before the movie ended.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ballz posted:

You'll have a choice of several formats: divx, mp4, mpeg and wmv

I guess what I was really asking was "Do I have to login through my media player to play the DivX, like you had to with the first VoD full-length rifftrax movies?"

To which the answer is, thankfully, no.

I'm really glad, because the mpg for this is over two gigabytes!

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

DivisionPost posted:

Holy Christ. Holy poo poo. I had to pause Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny because holy poo poo. And then I almost made a sign of the cross in honor of Mike, Bill, and Kevin, who probably had to watch this more than once and didn't always have the luxury of a pause button.

Because HOLY poo poo.

Bill Corbett undersold this one. I'm only ten minutes in, but this is the Rifftrax equivalent of that tape in The Ring; once you see it, you have to show it to someone else or it will eat away at you. It's becoming clear to me, for instance, that I'm gonna have to drop this on my extended family like a nuclear bomb when we get together for Christmas Eve.

Because holy loving poo poo.

EDIT: Lot of hyperbole in this post, maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. Sorry. I'm just amazed someone could be this incompetent with a camera.

I came to this thread to tell you specifically that you are not overdoing it. This was the craziest loving thing I've ever watched. I don't think I can even put into words how insane it is.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I think a lot of people are going to have that reaction. This is the strangest thing ever captured on celluloid. Yes, even stranger than Manos. The climax of the film (if you can call it that) when the titular Ice Cream Bunny makes his grand entrance is perhaps the most WTF and hilarious sequence in film history. Two quotes from the Rifftrax itself sum it up perfectly:

"Is this like The Ring, where if I watch this, in 24 hours, I'm dead?" "No, much more potent. 38 seconds, tops."

And perhaps more to-the-point:

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in 150-plus movies, Rifftrax has nothing to say. Just this: enjoy."

ETA: Although they poke fun at it a little, I just realized the ridiculous number of framing devices/narrators this film-within-a-film (I'm using the term "film" loosely here, of course) has. Basically, we have Truman Capote Lady telling us a story about Santa Claus, who's telling a story about a girl at Pirates World who is listening to a PA system mole tell the story of Thumbelina. It's just like Inception, only more confusing!

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 21, 2010

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a friend totally hooked on Rifftrax now. She's seen the last two live shows in theater with me. So she wanted me to stop by to watch the 1986 Jim Henson movie Christmas Toy. I took with me last year's Rifftrax Live Christmas Shorts, and I forgot just how good that was. That's to say, I literally almost died tonight because I pulled a dumbass move and tried to drink some water while watching it.

I'm just glad that I managed to surpress the urge to vomit to try to clear the water out of my windpipe. Might have killed the mood.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I just bought Santa, downloading the divx now so I can share the horror with the inlaws on xmas eve.

Which should be loving epic!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think my favorite part of Ice Cream Bunny were all Bill's New York jokes about Mr. Digger. It's funny when you know that Bill's a native New Yorker and everyone involved in MST3K noted how he gave Crow that sort of "East Coast" attitude.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

mobo85 posted:

ETA: Although they poke fun at it a little, I just realized the ridiculous number of framing devices/narrators this film-within-a-film (I'm using the term "film" loosely here, of course) has. Basically, we have Truman Capote Lady telling us a story about Santa Claus, who's telling a story about a girl at Pirates World who is listening to a PA system mole tell the story of Thumbelina. It's just like Inception, only more confusing!

Is it wrong that I laughed hysterically every time they cut over to the lone, static shot of the PA speaker and repeated the same shot of the hippie chick looking in on the diorama with total disinterest every one of the 78 times it happened?

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard as when the ice cream bunny winks involuntarily. Just this slow, excruciatingly awkward wink, right into the camera.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
When the Ice Cream Bunny almost ran off the trail while driving, I totally lost it. Just imagine how scared those kids had to have been.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Demp posted:

When the Ice Cream Bunny almost ran off the trail while driving, I totally lost it. Just imagine how scared those kids had to have been.

That and the fact that the dog is barking non-stop the whole ride, no doubt terrified.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
what's the difference between video on demand and download to burn?

also, is it difficult to transfer rifftrax where the movie is already available (i.e. ice cream bunny or the shorts) to an ipod?

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2010

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The 19th Person posted:

also, is it difficult to transfer rifftrax where the movie is already available (i.e. ice cream bunny or the shorts) to an ipod?

VoD is a .divx file, like the shorts.
Download to burn, I'm guessing, is an ISO.

At least for the VoD option, you can download a lower-rez, formatted-for-ipod version of the movie.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

The 19th Person posted:

VoD lets you download the thing as a wmv, mp4, divx or bigass mpg. Download to burn gives you an iso file that you can burn a DVD with directly.

quote:

One of the available VoD formats is labeled ipod, so I think you're set.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All of the shorts have iPod MP4 as an option.

Also, just now watching Rifftrax Live Christmas (saw it in theaters last year) and I've forgotten how insane these shorts are. It's really some of their best work.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Just watched Santa.
What.
The.
gently caress.

Bloody Inception levels of layered storytelling with the random-rear end movie-within-a-movie.

One of the funniest ones they've done in a while, but man. That is some crazy shiiit.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus Christ, I just watched Santa And The Ice Cream Bunny, and I am honestly hurting from laughing so much.

It wasn't so much from the individual riffs, more from the inexorable rising tide of "What the gently caress am I looking at?" incompetence and insanity that they accompany. By the time the Ice Cream Bunny himself finally showed up, to the mournful wails of his siren of horror, and Bill started doing his Krankor laugh whenever this awful, retarded, stroke-afflicted rabbit-thing got a closeup, I'd completely lost it and was literally crying with laughter. I don't think even the best MST3K episodes left me that helpless.

The movie itself... what can be said? Even Manos at least had a narrative of sorts, and Hal Warren must have seen a movie before.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Payndz posted:

Hal Warren must have seen a movie before.

It seems odd that the title of "Director of the Worst Movie in Known History" has been passed from "a fertilizer salesman from El Paso" to "the believed real-life inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mobo85 posted:

It seems odd that the title of "Director of the Worst Movie in Known History" has been passed from "a fertilizer salesman from El Paso" to "the believed real-life inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape."
I was wondering if you were taking the piss, but then I looked on IMDb and holy poo poo. Funny how things turn out, huh?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

SlowlyChoking posted:

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard as when the ice cream bunny winks involuntarily. Just this slow, excruciatingly awkward wink, right into the camera.

I think I remember the guy (girl?) in the rabbit suit literally pulling down on the thing that made the eye wink.

And the girl staring at the diorama for an hour clearly had just downed a fistful of shrooms.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The girl looking at the diorama part was certainly one of the oddest choices of the movie. It was completely unnecessary to anything. I mean, were those dioramas supposed to be a loving draw? Ooh, I don't like roller coasters, I like looking at dioramas about Tumbalina!

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

muscles like this? posted:

The girl looking at the diorama part was certainly one of the oddest choices of the movie. It was completely unnecessary to anything. I mean, were those dioramas supposed to be a loving draw? Ooh, I don't like roller coasters, I like looking at dioramas about Tumbalina!
It would have been perfect if when the speaker was narrating "and she finally got the courage to knock on my door" to have the door open and just the blown-out speaker sitting there behind it.
It would of made as much sense

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

All the framing devices were completely unnecessary, but SCatICB and Thumbelina are obviously two different movies from Pirates World's film division (???) that had been mashed together for some godforsaken reason. I don't imagine this monstrosity saw much action outside of Pirates World itself.

If I had to guess, the whole Ice Cream Bunny thing was probably tacked on to make the film more appropriate for some holiday-themed event where I'm guessing -- god help us -- the Ice Cream Bunny actually showed up in person.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bobservo posted:

All the framing devices were completely unnecessary, but SCatICB and Thumbelina are obviously two different movies from Pirates World's film division (???) that had been mashed together for some godforsaken reason. I don't imagine this monstrosity saw much action outside of Pirates World itself.

If I had to guess, the whole Ice Cream Bunny thing was probably tacked on to make the film more appropriate for some holiday-themed event where I'm guessing -- god help us -- the Ice Cream Bunny actually showed up in person.

They could removed the blown out speaker and the whole Pirates World scenes, and just kept the actual story and had Santa be the narrator. It would have still been a horrific totally hosed up mess, but it least it would have been under slightly... very slightly... better context and framing.

But that would have cost time and money. Really, they just didn't care...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I watched something on youtube from Slate that claimed that Tom and Huck were in there because the director really wanted to make a movie about them and never got the chance to.

So, yeah, it seems like they pieces of like three movies and mashed them together and hoped for...???

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bobulus posted:

So, yeah, it seems like they pieces of like three movies and mashed them together and hoped for...???

... and that's how Monster-A-Go-Go was born.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I have no idea what I just watched.

That left me in tears quite a bit, it was just so bad. I'm curious about a few of the explanations for a few of the plot devices like sticking an entire movie in there, but really the entire thing was such a mess that it would've taken away from the awfulness.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

marioinblack posted:

That left me in tears quite a bit, it was just so bad. I'm curious about a few of the explanations for a few of the plot devices like sticking an entire movie in there, but really the entire thing was such a mess that it would've taken away from the awfulness.

I've shown it to two people now, so I've seen it three times (although with the second person I showed it to, I just skipped to the end of the 'Thumbelina Insert' since it gets so goddamn boring). I can tell you, it doesn't get any less weird or baffling no matter how much you watch it or read about it (much like "Manos" or "Monster A Go Go"). Being able to look at people staring at the screen in abject terror when the Ice Cream Bunny appears is a real pleasure. The bits that people love the most though; "You know guys, if you close your eyes these scenes take on a whole new meaning." and Bill reprising his Krankor laugh.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On top of being sleazy, sweaty and somewhat incontinent, Santa was so lazy and inept that I wanted to punch him. Ten whole minutes must have been taken up with a repeating cycle of "Oh, I'm soooo hot!" [Wipes away sweat, random animal fails to shift the sleigh] Hey, moron! Maybe if you moved your fat arse out of the sleigh, you might be able to free it from the light coating of sand holding it in place.

It's always annoying when movie characters act like imbeciles because the plot demands it, but in this case there was no plot, just a fat man in a fake beard whining a lot, soiling himself and narrating a recursive series of other stories. It defies belief how anyone could have thought making this was in any way a good idea, even if it was intended to shill Pirates World (not a possessive, just a world with a lot of pirates).

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I think out of all of the movies Rifftrax has done. SCatICB is probably the best. It jumped ahead to the top within ten minutes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just got 23 new Shorts!! :woop:

iPhone loaded. Time for much delicious pleasure.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My friends and I, who have been doing "Bad Movie Nights" since we started high school in 2000 are doing a "Rifftrax Holiday Double Feature" tonight with SCatICB, Santa Punch and Judy and Star Wars Holiday Special.

Oh, and a metric gently caress-ton of booze. Can't wait.

marioinblack posted:

I think the best is there's a credit sequence inside the movie. It really shows they made no effort to cut/edit the two separate movies into ANYTHING resembling coherent.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 23, 2010

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I just noticed something

The door handle in Santa's workshop is literally a human hand, my god...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I've just started watching it and there isn't a :psyduck: large enough for this movie.

Out of curiosity, I checked IMDB....and there's a fact from one of the user reviews I had to share:

quote:

I saw this in the theater when I was ten.

THIS WAS ACTUALLY IN THEATERS???

edit: Also apparently, some prints came with Jack and the Beanstalk instead of Thumbelina.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

drasticactions posted:

I just noticed something

The door handle in Santa's workshop is literally a human hand, my god...

Is it bad that I immediately thought of 'The Anal Intruder' from "Top Secret" when I noticed that?

• Locked thread