Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Dawncloack posted:

Hi guys

Someone recently posted a PYF favorite videos or something akin. His contribution was a video of some workers free climbing a guide tower, a very thin and very tall tower (think just below 2 kilometers).

Can anyone point me to it? I've tried search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373395

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Thank you man!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Okay, I've googled the crap out of this, and it irks me because it's just at the tip of my tongue.

What do you call a plant that forms the "hair" section of a person whose face makes up the ceramic pot that the plant grows in? I know these novelty potted plants exist, I know I'm not crazy.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

General Venereal posted:

Okay, I've googled the crap out of this, and it irks me because it's just at the tip of my tongue.

What do you call a plant that forms the "hair" section of a person whose face makes up the ceramic pot that the plant grows in? I know these novelty potted plants exist, I know I'm not crazy.

Chia Pets.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

General Venereal posted:

Chia pets? Those are animals, but maybe they made people too.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

hooah & Loopyface posted:

Chia pets?

Chia pets! THANK YOU. I've been googling "Shia pets" and kept getting hits for that dwarf in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skulls. Thanks so much!

Final Call fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 22, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

hooah posted:

It says at least 10.0.0, and I'm running 10.2.161. Would uninstalling/reinstalling still perhaps fix it? It's not a huge deal since I can just use Firefox if I need to.

Wouldn't hurt. Apparently its a known issue, so try their fix. At least you'll be able to rule out Flash as the issue if it doesn't work.

edit: Quote from the side bar (because its easy to miss on that page I linked)

Should I reinstall Flash? posted:

Adobe Flash is the underlying technology that makes Vimeo videos play, and keeps the moon in orbit. On most computers, Flash automatically upgrades itself to the latest version, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes broken Flash installations can cause problems, like totally black or white videos. If you're having trouble, removing and re-installing Flash will often help. We always recommend running the Flash remover first, since it's possible to have multiple copies of Flash installed, which can cause conflicts.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 23, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Hey, Caedar:  I just received an email from Evernote telling me “until January 12, the first ten people who create a new account from your invitation will be automatically upgraded to Premium for their first month.” If you’re interested in trying the program with all the features, either drop your email in this thread or email my SA handle at focusloc.us and I’ll send you an invite.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What was the name of the man, I think a son or other relative of a US president, who went missing (presumably dead) in I think the South Seas after his boat capsized? His buddy stayed with the boat while he decided to swim to an island, and was never found, presumed drowned.

Vague, sorry :( I remember reading about it in a book when I was a kid and it's bugging me.

e: Never mind! Bit of creative wikipediaing after I remembered it was Papua New Guinea. It was Michael Rockefeller. :)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 23, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
So I have a feather comforter that hangs off the side of my bed and over time, all the feathers have fallen to the sides that hang off, leaving the middle of the blanket nearly empty -- Is there an effective way to redistribute the feathers? Would a dryer with no heat work?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Gobbeldygook posted:

TCC normally has an Addiction/Recovery megathread, but the current one just got closed. Ophidian says he'll have a new one up tomorrow. Until then, check out the Withdrawal Megathread also located in TCC. If you are physically dependent on alcohol, please read that thread and consult a doctor because trying to quit alcohol cold turkey could actually kill you.
Here’s the new thread, for anyone who might be interested:  The addiction/recovery megathread v2.0: Off the horse and on the wagon.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is Karl Pilkington actually really stupid? Some of the stuff he says just seems way too odd to be natural

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

change my name posted:

Is Karl Pilkington actually really stupid? Some of the stuff he says just seems way too odd to be natural

It's a character, a new twist on the deadpan/straight man. Not to say he isn't kind of stupid irl, but he's obviously pretty brilliant in many ways.

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010
Any spanish teachers/etc have a suggestion for a good textbook/workbook (for self study) ?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is going on in that hospital comic I have seen on the forums for a couple of years now and why is everyone so obsessed with it?

ginch
Mar 8, 2006
Does anyone know of an inexpensive "wireless electricity" device exist? I live in an apartment and would like to have a light out on my balcony (or Christmas lights or something on the railing), but there is no electrical outlet outside. I have an outlet inside the apartment, approximately 3 feet away from a glass sliding door.

Strata rules prohibit me from drilling a hole to the outside to install a box outside, but I was wondering if there was something magical that I could stick on the inside of the glass, and have it transfer electricity (wirelessly, magnetically, whatever it is) to a device on the outside of the glass.

Yes, I could run an extension cord outside a window or out the sliding door, but this would require I leave the door/window unsecured 24/7 (and let the heat out of my apartment!)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

NESguerilla posted:

What is going on in that hospital comic I have seen on the forums for a couple of years now and why is everyone so obsessed with it?
I’m assuming that you’re speaking of CADbortion and its parodies. It stems from the webcomic CTRL ALT Delete by Buckley and the bizarre storyline about a miscarriage. You can read more about it here:   link. Hit CTRL+F or whatever magical buttons your browser uses to search within a page and find “miscarriage.”

e:  Fixed a link.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 23, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

ginch posted:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive "wireless electricity" device exist?

No.

edit: In 10 years maybe, it's being worked on. I'm sure if you had the savvy and no-how you could build something out of an inductive charger that could maybe go through glass, but it definitely won't be easy or cheap.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Solar– or battery–powered lights seem like your best options.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Which site is typically cheaper for contacts? Is there any way to compare contact prices across all vendors?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ginch posted:

I was wondering if there was something magical that I could stick on the inside of the glass, and have it transfer electricity (wirelessly, magnetically, whatever it is) to a device on the outside of the glass.

Point this through the window
http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/lighting/1000-watt-twin-lamp-halogen-floodlight-66439.html

At this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

wired to these:
http://www.environmentallights.com/...mpaign=products

I know it's a lot of money but think of it like this, the christmas lights only have a 2 watt draw and has environmental in the website name, think of how green you're being. You own a solar panel now too and that's green as gently caress.

For a serious answer, you could probably find an old but still usable ups gel-cell battery or car battery for cheap that would run that 12v string of led christmas lights in the last link forever.

edit and now that I've put this much time into this post I realize and see that there are actually battery powered lights already built and available for sale but that kinda seems like the pussy way out.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-White-Christmas-Lights/dp/B0046Z0UC8/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_5

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 23, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

1) Why are 9-volt batteries not called by an alphabetic name like the other common types?

2) Do speakers of languages that don't use the Latin alphabet name the notes of the musical scale with their own letters?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

A Violence Gang posted:

Why are 9-volt batteries not called by an alphabetic name like the other common types?

Letter-denominated batteries carry the same voltage (1.5V) and are given letter designations to distinguish between size, I believe. Batteries of voltages other than 1.5V (6V, 9V) are named for the voltage.

quote:

Do speakers of languages that don't use the Latin alphabet name the notes of the musical scale with their own letters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Jeffrey Colon posted:

So I have a feather comforter that hangs off the side of my bed and over time, all the feathers have fallen to the sides that hang off, leaving the middle of the blanket nearly empty -- Is there an effective way to redistribute the feathers? Would a dryer with no heat work?

Shifting down feathers around inside products is notoriously difficult because of they way they naturally clump together. Possibly your best bet is to find a dry cleaners that offers a down/feather wash service (this is different from dry cleaning, don't let them dry clean your feather items!). It's not that they have some magical touch, its just that large items like that are easier to wash and dry in large machines, and the extra space while doing so can help with redistribution.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

A Violence Gang posted:

1) Why are 9-volt batteries not called by an alphabetic name like the other common types?

If you wanted to learn something else useless today, 9v batteries are true batteries where aaa, aa etc are not. Battery is a group of cells aa, aaa, c etc are single cells themselves. A 9v battery has 6 1.5 v cells inside. (stacks of little watch cells or skinny AAAAs) 12v car battery is 6 2v cells that are just different partitioned chambers of the housing.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 24, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

The usual solution to unclumping is to put stuff in a dryer with tennis balls. YMMV, but the tennis balls do enough banging around without busting things up that some people swear by them.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
You can also use wool dryer balls, which a lot of people swear by in place of fabric softener.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

When plugging in something overseas how do I know when I can just use an adaptor and when I need a transformer?

I know simple stuff like camera battery chargers and iphone chargers just need a plug but I might be taking a couple of other things over to my sisters place.

All my stuff is australian if that helps. And we're going to Europe/UK.

Also is it possible to just bring 1 adaptor and then plug that into a power board and use the power board normally?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Someone posted a music video on here awhile back I think in one of those favorite creepy video/image/thing threads. It has a car accident in the beginning and then instead of helping the victims a man starts dancing with the bloody survivors.
Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Fists Up posted:

When plugging in something overseas how do I know when I can just use an adaptor and when I need a transformer?

I know simple stuff like camera battery chargers and iphone chargers just need a plug but I might be taking a couple of other things over to my sisters place.

All my stuff is australian if that helps. And we're going to Europe/UK.

Also is it possible to just bring 1 adaptor and then plug that into a power board and use the power board normally?

You need to know what the local voltage is, first off. Then you need to look at your appliances, and see what voltages they're rated for. (There's often a sticker.) For example, looking at the power brick on my laptop, it says it's rated for 100-240 V, 47-63 Hz. This means it'll work in the UK, where the voltage is 230 at 50 Hz, as well as in the US where it's 110 and 60 Hz. If there's no sticker, use your best judgement, erring on the side of caution. Electronics tend to be finicky when it comes to the power they draw, whereas appliances (like your toaster) give no gently caress.

As for plugging the power board into the adapter, uh, it'll work until it doesn't. I'd assume that the adapter has some sort of protection built in so that it's failure mode is "doesn't work until you unplug some things" instead of "catches on fire", but I don't have a whole lot of experience in that matter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Someone posted a music video on here awhile back I think in one of those favorite creepy video/image/thing threads. It has a car accident in the beginning and then instead of helping the victims a man starts dancing with the bloody survivors.

Sounds somewhat like Interpol's "Evil," although the main character in that is a puppet.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysPcyOvNJew

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Is there a "correct" direction to put on a belt, like there's a "correct" side of my shirt for the buttons to be on? I've always put it on so that the buckle is on my left, but I recently noticed that this made some lettering stamped on the inside of my belt be upside-down. Is it different for men and women (like buttons and zippers)? Is it just easier one way or the other depending on if you're right- or left-handed?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there a "correct" direction to put on a belt, like there's a "correct" side of my shirt for the buttons to be on? I've always put it on so that the buckle is on my left, but I recently noticed that this made some lettering stamped on the inside of my belt be upside-down. Is it different for men and women (like buttons and zippers)? Is it just easier one way or the other depending on if you're right- or left-handed?
Things like this are completely arbitrary and just come down to fashion and clothing tradition, which changes constantly. I have a jacket where the zipper is located on the opposite side from most which really threw me off when I bought it, but the tailor informed me it was "European style" or some such. No one will ever notice which way you buckle your belt, unless maybe the buckle is distinctive and clearly has a right way up.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
One of the tuning pegs on my guitar is loose/broken and will only tune down, not up. As an intermediate player with little to no guitar repair knowledge, is this something I can trust myself to fix with some online tutorial or should I just take it to a shop?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
In the song Big Iron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Iron), what exactly is the Big Iron?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

madlilnerd posted:

In the song Big Iron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Iron), what exactly is the Big Iron?

Well, the page you linked to says the ranger kills the outlaw with the big iron on his hip, so it's probably not about a wafflemaker.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
It's a gun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

madlilnerd posted:

Traditional slang for a mainframe computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

haveblue posted:

Traditional slang for a mainframe computer.

"As the dust cleared, only one man was left standing; blue goo trailing from the raised tiling under his dual-wielded 360s"...