Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
She is a beholder. Made of metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
This has been quite a chapter. I hope we get to find out some more, and Wandering Eye doesn't just say "I'll tell you about it later."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Mythology note: the Egyptian goddess Hathor-Tefnut was sometimes known as the "wandering Eye of Ra." HMMMM.

However, "Egyptian goddess" is an easy explanation, and Reynardine's "you'll have to ask her, I couldn't explain it" kind of makes that one less likely.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Coyote is just so thrilled to have guests. I love it.

:haw:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Someone should crop the middle two panels here into a single image that we can use for whenever this kind of thing happens.

(I don't have an image editor that works at the moment.)

PoorRichMorgan
Mar 30, 2010

?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Perfect :haw:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So THAT's what Coyote having his eye on Annie meant....

Mind is blown.

EDIT: well, maybe anyway. But it makes sense.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Did Coyote's nose just talk?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Fangz posted:

So THAT's what Coyote having his eye on Annie meant....

Mind is blown.

:aaaaa:

I like where this is going.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Oh poo poo, so many saturated plot points all at once is overwhelming me! We're finally going to know what Jones(Eyethingy) is! :f5:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
She could be the eye of Odin, you know. Or one of his seeing-eye ravens.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Hasn't it been confirmed that Jones is denser than regular people? Why would an eyeball be dense? Somebody with a mythology degree get on this. We'll solve this yet.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mirage posted:

Mythology note: the Egyptian goddess Hathor-Tefnut was sometimes known as the "wandering Eye of Ra." HMMMM.

Tom was once asked if Jones knew ancient Egyptian, and replied that she definitely did. Also, Hathor was the goddess of, among other things, stolen objects. (And, uh... joy and happiness. And cows, although probably not laser cows.)

That said, Hathor was one of the most important Egyptian goddesses. If she were Jones, I would expect her to be a figure on the same scale as Coyote. I don't know how it works in the Court's universe, though, so maybe that makes sense too. (Or maybe she is, but in a less obvious way.)

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Come to think of it, have we ever seen what Jones' etherial presence looks like? We've seen plenty of others, and it has often revealed some important information about their true nature.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I figure Jones is Coyote's ex-girlfriend. She was always checking out other dudes while they were going out, so he calls her "Wandering Eyes."

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Hasn't it been confirmed that Jones is denser than regular people? Why would an eyeball be dense? Somebody with a mythology degree get on this. We'll solve this yet.

In Jewish mythology, golems were controlled by a separate piece of clay carved in the shape of an eye. The golems body could be destroyed, but a Jewish mystic would simply make a new one and place the eye in it. Good as new.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Yadoppsi posted:

In Jewish mythology, golems were controlled by a separate piece of clay carved in the shape of an eye. The golems body could be destroyed, but a Jewish mystic would simply make a new one and place the eye in it. Good as new.

I still like this explanation, because there's no other reason for her to be so heavy. But the question I have is: how does this:

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom was once asked if Jones knew ancient Egyptian, and replied that she definitely did.

enter into it? I don't know much about Jewish mythology; were golems present during the Egyptian enslavement of Jews?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I still like this explanation, because there's no other reason for her to be so heavy. But the question I have is: how does this:

enter into it? I don't know much about Jewish mythology; were golems present during the Egyptian enslavement of Jews?

Maybe Jones just loves Egyptian.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What is coyote saying in the second panel when he gets cut-off?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Brownie posted:

What is coyote saying in the second panel when he gets cut-off?

"Now to what do we owe this visit?"

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

"Now to what do we owe this visit?"

Right, okay that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Maybe she learned the language as she watched them abuse Jewish slaves? :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Elftor posted:

I figure Jones is Coyote's ex-girlfriend. She was always checking out other dudes while they were going out, so he calls her "Wandering Eyes."

This is really the only explanation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Maybe Jones just knows every language.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I don't think Jones is a golem, unless golems can age. She was around when Surma et al were kids and Eglamore talks like she's a kid, too. I thought she might be possessed or something based on Coyote mentioning her stealing names. Maybe extra souls makes a body heavier? :v:

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

I'm not having any luck and I can't look right now, but have we seen both of Coyote's eyes in every encounter?

If it's not that, it's probably the crow/raven we saw in the brief vision of Jeanne. I will stick to this.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I'm reasonably sure Jones is one of Odin's ravens. She's heavy because she's literally thought (or memory) made flesh. Thought/memory of a god.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

I'm not having any luck and I can't look right now, but have we seen both of Coyote's eyes in every encounter?

If it's not that, it's probably the crow/raven we saw in the brief vision of Jeanne. I will stick to this.

We at least saw both of them when he was juggling them for Annie (he "caught" one and then the other in each side of his face) and that was after Jones had already been introduced.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I always wondered if the Tic-tocs might be connected to Huginn and Muninn (since they've been referred to as the "thousand eyes", are said to be of divine origin, etc.).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dumb brunette posted:

We at least saw both of them when he was juggling them for Annie (he "caught" one and then the other in each side of his face) and that was after Jones had already been introduced.

Coyote's bodyparts regrow immediately when removed (see his tooth), so it would not be inconsistent. I guess we'll have to wait for Monday to see more, but I like this a lot, because it makes sense a lot of sense with the earlier 'cover art', and Jones' interest in Jeanne.

EDIT: The thing that counts against Jones being Hathor is that Hathor was also the goddess of motherhood, and in myths is the mother of Ra, whereas the Word of Tom on whether Jones has any children is an emphatic 'no'. And her favourite thing is 'discovery', which doesn't belong in Hathor's portifolio.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 25, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Coyote's bodyparts regrow immediately when removed (see his tooth), so it would not be inconsistent. I guess we'll have to wait for Monday to see more, but I like this a lot, because it makes sense a lot of sense with the earlier 'cover art', and Jones' interest in Jeanne.
Coyote replaced his tooth with a rock.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Coyote replaced his tooth with a rock.

I'm sure it just morphed into a tooth.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

If Jones were Coyote's eye, she would not be a neutral party to the Forest and the Court.

I'm not gonna defend the Odin's thought/memory idea, since it's possible she's just a golem. :V

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dodgeball posted:

I'm sure it just morphed into a tooth.

Yes. It did.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Coyote is a spirit of the land, of natural ordenance. It makes sense than anything, a rock, would immediately turn into a tooth.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Because it has bearing on the discussion:

Formspring posted:

From chapter 26, if coyote pulled out that same tooth again, would it still be a rock, or something else?

It would turn back into a rock.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Because it has bearing on the discussion:

So then the sword was always a sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No the sword is always a tooth. The tooth is always a rock. Its not complicated. :pseudo: