Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
if you need something in addition to barbri, adaptibar is online MBE review with actual old questions. I saw like 2-3 questions on the actual bar exam that were word for word exactly the same as those I saw in the licensed old questions.

also we don't get bar exam results if we pass, but when I took the bar exam, it was the first year our jurisdiction used MEE essay questions and I'm pretty sure I destroyed them because the MEE questions were basically just MBE questions where you had to copy out the reasoning behind the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

I count four (HYS, Northeastern), five if you count Berkeley's pseudo grades and maybe six if UChi is thrown in (don't they use some weird point system?)

I only count two, Yale and Northeastern. Harvard and Stanford both use the same bullshit "honors/pass/low pass/no credit" that Boalt uses. Honors = A, Pass = B+, low pass = B/B-, no credit = you didn't take the final. Just because they don't use letters doesn't mean they're not grades. The only thing I count as no grades is if every single persons' transcript reads the same loving thing, CR CR CR CR CR CR CR CR, otherwise you're being graded.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 24, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I only count two, Yale and Northeastern. Harvard and Stanford both use the same bullshit "honors/pass/low pass/no credit" that Boalt uses. Honors = A, Pass = B+, low pass = B/B-, no credit = you didn't take the final. Just because they don't use letters doesn't mean they're not grades. The only thing I count as no grades is if every single persons' transcript reads the same loving thing, CR CR CR CR CR CR CR CR, otherwise you're being graded.

Yale uses H/P/LP/F after first semester. But no one fails and you really have to gently caress up to get a Low Pass.

First semester is legit CR CR CR CR though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Hi 0Ls!

I would like to tell you about a school called DUKE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW. It has a wonderful history of goon tolerance and, while we currently lack girls (30% of the entering class) and black people (2% of our entering class) and Irving is still on crutches, we have easy access to division 1 football tickets and it is possible to be accepted within three days of application.

We have had a goon in every class since '08 and would like YOU to be the next!

Duke is surrounded by a magical forest, beyond which lies a city with okay bars and unfortunate crime and another city with bad bars and sickeningly hot, desperate undergrads (http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/colleges-where-men-are-in-supply/). The Triangle also has good minor league baseball and a moth problem.

Please come to Duke. We would be happy to show you around.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
We should seriously do our own take on our schools and add them to the OP in the style that Sulecrist just did

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I would worry that would just turn into "don't go here" over and over again, in increasingly bizarre ways.

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while, that's still the party line, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Boxman posted:

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while, that's still the party line, right?

Yeah but people keep going anyway

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I like my school and I won't stop until grades come in.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah I mean, I think it could be fun and funny if we got creative with it. You could end with don't go etc etc as a running gag, but I think substantive, first hand accounts would be a nice addition to what I think is one of the biggest, most in-depth OPs in all of SA (and a credit to Ling for keeping it up). I find USD and Berkeley pretty different in a few important ways that go beyond just the academic side.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
who is ling?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Sulecrist posted:

I liked my school before grades came in and after grades came in. Then it turned out that the firms at OCI don't care about my grades. I don't like my school anymore.

Also Duke may have a basketball team but calling their football team Division I after last season is a STRETCH.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

JudicialRestraints posted:

I liked my school before grades came in and after grades came in. Then it turned out that the firms at OCI don't care about my grades. I don't like my school anymore.

Also Duke may have a basketball team but calling their football team Division I after last season is a STRETCH.

At one point we were objectively the worst DI but now we're only like the third worst. We were the first to score on Bama this season soooo

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

who is ling?

Linguica.

GULC students have access to Georgetown basketball tickets, which I guess is kind of a big deal in college basketball, but I do not give a poo poo about that sport so I've never cashed in on the tickets.

I think GULC is incredibly over-rated among laypeople.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
I'll give this a shot:

Cornell Law is surprisingly non-cutthroat. People in my 1L class are more inclined to share notes and help one another than all the stories and horror stories lead me to believe. The workload is a bit intense (with 4 graded/curved classes plus a graded/curved LRW class), and it's easy to realize you've spent long hours in the library. The people are a bit high-schoolish at times, but that's probably standard for law school.

Ithaca is a small town, like everyone says, but it's still civilization. People describe it like it's a podunk one-horse town, but there are actually chain retailers, a mall, and several chain restaurants. As well as lots of local, non-chain, homegrown shops/restaurants, a farmer's market, and a total of one (non-artsy) movie theater.

Warnings: Ithaca is cold, windy, and wet. Politically, if you're conservative, get used to being massively outnumbered. Ithaca is 100% a hippie-liberal town, and Cornell in general is pretty much a hippie-liberal school. Cornell Law is a bit less lopsided, but the student body is still noticeably left-leaning. Also being in the "Lower T14" as, I'm often reminded, the usual "Don't go. No Jobs. Die alone" applies.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007
Harvard Law School

Pro
It's big. There are 550 people per entering class. This is a good thing because you will probably hate 450 of them. But there are still 100 people left who are pretty cool.

We don't really have grades and almost everyone gets jobs. Most people don't work that hard.

Con
You have to live in Cambridge. It's cold and dark. The food sucks* and the locals are rude, unfriendly people.

Dean Kagan is now Justice Kagan and we're stuck with Dean Minow. There's no more free coffee, the ice rink is gone, and the only professors who've been hired recently teach useless panda classes. Meanwhile, there's not a single Evidence professor left who actually teaches the Rules of Evidence.

*Anna's Taqueria excepted.

EDIT: And, per below, Kebab Factory. Very fair point.

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 24, 2010

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

It's a way of blocking firms from doing pre-screening. It generally just means it's a good enough law school that it has bargaining power with the firms.
Moreso the individual interviewers, I think. The firm itself must know, otherwise how do they decide what bids to accept?

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

gvibes posted:

Moreso the individual interviewers, I think. The firm itself must know, otherwise how do they decide what bids to accept?

At schools that don't prescreen, the firms don't have any choice about which bids to accept. It's a lottery.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

ewr2870 posted:

Con
You have to live in Cambridge. It's cold and dark. The food sucks* and the locals are rude, unfriendly people.

*Anna's Taqueria excepted.

hahahah are you kidding me? Cambridge is amazing! Locals are fine, just don't be a pussy.

And the food is great. Go to Central square. Go eat at the Kebab Factory. Also, you do know that Boston is a quick T ride away, right? You do know there is GREAT food and stuff to do in Boston, right? Cause saying Cambridge is a downside to HLS is laughable.

Wah, Harkness doesn't have an ice rink any more! There used to be nothing. Hemenway used to be a dank horrible maze of rooms, now it's fantastic.

I hope James Barr Ames rises from his grave and beats you with an ivy covered stick.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I hate people and cities but I do like Cambridge.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lilosh posted:

I'll give this a shot:

Cornell Law is surprisingly non-cutthroat. People in my 1L class are more inclined to share notes and help one another than all the stories and horror stories lead me to believe. The workload is a bit intense (with 4 graded/curved classes plus a graded/curved LRW class), and it's easy to realize you've spent long hours in the library. The people are a bit high-schoolish at times, but that's probably standard for law school.

Ithaca is a small town, like everyone says, but it's still civilization. People describe it like it's a podunk one-horse town, but there are actually chain retailers, a mall, and several chain restaurants. As well as lots of local, non-chain, homegrown shops/restaurants, a farmer's market, and a total of one (non-artsy) movie theater.

Warnings: Ithaca is cold, windy, and wet. Politically, if you're conservative, get used to being massively outnumbered. Ithaca is 100% a hippie-liberal town, and Cornell in general is pretty much a hippie-liberal school. Cornell Law is a bit less lopsided, but the student body is still noticeably left-leaning. Also being in the "Lower T14" as, I'm often reminded, the usual "Don't go. No Jobs. Die alone" applies.
Michigan

Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
Ctrl+H
REPLACE ALL: Ithaca -> Ann Arbor
REPLACE ALL: Cornell -> Michigan
REPLACE ALL: "high-schoolish" -> "like bitchy, alcoholic toddlers"
Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
Alt+S

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Harvrd is gay; law school is for losers; merry christmas losers!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
ur the gay

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Somebody talk about Columbia!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ewr2870 posted:

as a local to the boston metro area, let me just say get the gently caress out

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

as a local to the boston metro area, let me just say get the gently caress out

Exactly.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BlueBayou posted:

Cause saying Cambridge is a downside to HLS is laughable.

Yeah, I'd rather live in Cambridge than Charlottesville, Durham, New Haven, Ithaca, Ann Arbor, Philadelphia, and maybe some of the other T14 locations. And like you said, saying there's no good food or stuff to do in Cambridge is like saying there's no good food or stuff in Arlington, VA. You're living in a pretty convenient annex of a major city.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

hahahah are you kidding me? Cambridge is amazing! Locals are fine, just don't be a pussy.

And the food is great. Go to Central square. Go eat at the Kebab Factory. Also, you do know that Boston is a quick T ride away, right? You do know there is GREAT food and stuff to do in Boston, right? Cause saying Cambridge is a downside to HLS is laughable.

Wah, Harkness doesn't have an ice rink any more! There used to be nothing. Hemenway used to be a dank horrible maze of rooms, now it's fantastic.

I hope James Barr Ames rises from his grave and beats you with an ivy covered stick.

The downside is going to law school homie.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Merry Christmas thread

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Red Bean Juice posted:

Merry Christmas thread
When I saw that your post was the last post, I had hoped there would be a seasonal comic. Glad to see I was not disappointed. Please keep being awesome.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Red Bean Juice posted:

Merry Christmas thread

Now that I have (mostly) finished my first semester of 1L, I understand most of these references.

I'm forever broken, aren't I?

Feliz Nochebuena and Merry Christmas.

edit: Will summarize my law school on Monday or so.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Lilosh posted:

I'll give this a shot:

I went to a Third Tier Toilet. They're pretty much the same. It was a clean, well-lighted place. I listened to people talk a lot. I stopped buying the books after a while, and it didn't matter much.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ewr2870 posted:

Con
The Harvard Law students I've met haven't even been up to goddamn Porter Square. It's a half-mile walk, you jerks. Go a mile, get to Somerville, to the coolest poo poo you'd ever want.

It is cold and dark though

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Red Bean Juice posted:

Merry Christmas thread

Wonderful. I'm sharing this with others.

Happy Holidays LawGoons. May your season be filled with good Scotch, good tacos, good weed, and good hook ups in bathrooms at seedy bars and/or in the front seat of your parents 1994 Toyota Camry :smug:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Somebody talk about Columbia!

Columbia is in New York. It is a big city. Columbia is right next to Harlem. You'll never go. There is a big scary park between Columbia and Harlem!

If you ever get brave one night and try to go to Harlem through the park, i will be waiting for you

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 25, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Feces Starship posted:

If you ever get brave one night and try to go to Harlem through the park, i will be waiting for you

Been there, done that, didn't see you. We did, however, pass a group of colored fellows "burning out" push-ups in the middle of the street. They kindly extended an invitation to me to join them in their game, and I graciously accepted.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Northwestern University School of Law is a lovely place full of lovely, nice people. How could you go wrong with garish purple colors splashed onto every available surface? And nothing makes you feel better about yourself than realizing that not only does U Chicago make any other law school in the area seem full of cool, normal, social people, but people in Chicago have no idea that UChicago's a good school, never mind the better of the two. People are noncompetitive and chill, professors are friendly and approachable, and at least it's not U Chicago.

Chicago itself is I think dependent on your background. My city experiences are New York, LA, Beijing, Cairo, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong so to me Chicago is a quaint little city with a nice lake next to it and not enough people to justify the use of space. They also don't know how to make real pizza that tastes halfway decent or what soda is called (hint: doesn't rhyme with stop, as in STOP CALLING IT POP). If you go to the wrong part of the city you will be shot by gangs and if you go to the right part of the city, well, congrats, that's where Northwestern is anyways! All kidding aside Chicago is a nice town with a good amount of decent food and entertainment, and thanks to the Upass all public transportation is free if you're a grad student there.

Oh and Chicago is indeed cold but it's nothing atrocious. People from here like to talk about how awful it is, though.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern University School of Law is a lovely place full of lovely, nice people. How could you go wrong with garish purple colors splashed onto every available surface? And nothing makes you feel better about yourself than realizing that not only does U Chicago make any other law school in the area seem full of cool, normal, social people, but people in Chicago have no idea that UChicago's a good school, never mind the better of the two. People are noncompetitive and chill, professors are friendly and approachable, and at least it's not U Chicago.

Chicago itself is I think dependent on your background. My city experiences are New York, LA, Beijing, Cairo, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong so to me Chicago is a quaint little city with a nice lake next to it and not enough people to justify the use of space. They also don't know how to make real pizza that tastes halfway decent or what soda is called (hint: doesn't rhyme with stop, as in STOP CALLING IT POP). If you go to the wrong part of the city you will be shot by gangs and if you go to the right part of the city, well, congrats, that's where Northwestern is anyways! All kidding aside Chicago is a nice town with a good amount of decent food and entertainment, and thanks to the Upass all public transportation is free if you're a grad student there.

Oh and Chicago is indeed cold but it's nothing atrocious. People from here like to talk about how awful it is, though.

Plus the law school and the med school have their own campus and from what I hear, the students of both schools interact reasonably often, so you've got a shot at latching onto a doctor.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern University School of Law is a lovely place full of lovely, nice people. How could you go wrong with garish purple colors splashed onto every available surface?

Northwestern also has the best motto in all of college basketball.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
Merry Christmas!

I just post something I just read from Huffington post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/c-cryn-johannsen/student-loan-debtor-confe_b_798584.html?ir=College

quote:

Cryn, I listened to your interview and cried for hours. I graduated from law school with honors back in 2003 and never found a job as an attorney. I've worked a bunch of odd jobs the last 7 years just to survive. I've been a retail worker, a call center worker, a housekeeper, a dishwasher, and a temp - seriously, it seems like I've been everything except what I went to school for! I know my life is ruined and that I will never be a practicing attorney. I get it, really I do. After all, I'm around attorneys 24/7 in my current job and they look down their noses at me or else just ignore me. I am a loser and no one wants to be around a loser or else they might become one to. I try to remind myself that my life wasn't always like this - that people used to like me and that I had a lot going for me in college and even law school. However, after years of being snubbed and treated so terribly, I have learned to be as invisible as possible and to keep to myself. I'm sure that gives everyone at work a good laugh - then they can say I'm anti-social or not good with people and therefore not attorney material.

I could live without being a practicing attorney but what I can't get over is the fact I ruined my life by borrowing $100,000 to go to law school. I thought I was making a really good investment in myself because I believed in myself back then. I knew I would do well in school, and I guess I thought I would get a job and be able to pay back my loans. How incredibly wrong I turned out to be. Even if I am able to get out of student loan debt, I will be starting over from scratch. Zero savings. Zero retirement. Zero career options.

Every day I think about jumping out the 27th floor window of the office building where I am currently working to escape the mess I have made of my life. I am in so deep now, there is no way out. I used to keep myself up at night thinking about how I would ever pay my student loans off, but now I keep myself up at night, wondering if this is really how the next 30 years of my life will be - always moving from one dead-end job to the next, always being looked down at by attorneys (and even non-attorneys when they find out I'm an attorney but not working as one), always feeling so sick to my stomach that I can't hardly even eat anymore. I used to worry about starving to death if I couldn't afford to buy food if I never found a job, but now I don't have to worry about that because I have no appetite! Maybe I will just wither away and finally be put out of my misery. I really don't think I can keep doing this for another 7 years, let alone the rest of my life. I don't know what to do. While I haven't completely given up, I don't think it's that far around the corner. . .

I'm sorry this is long and depressing, but it's nice to get this all out. I am not asking anyone to forgive my student loans; I fully intend to pay back every last cent I borrowed. I just want to feel like all of my hard work and sacrifice was worth it, instead of always feeling humiliated, embarrassed, ashamed, bitter and angry. I'm so tired of feeling this way - I just want the pain to go away. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Plus the law school and the med school have their own campus and from what I hear, the students of both schools interact reasonably often, so you've got a shot at latching onto a doctor.

This is true! I play in an intramural soccer league that has people from both schools, and there was recently a speed dating mixer for med and law school people! Come to Northwestern, where we put potential mates with solid, stable careers right at your doorstep!

If you can't tell from my exclamation points I actually really do like my school, it's a good place with good people. And purple.