Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Posting has been deleted :(

Glad to hear you're finally getting a bike though!

What sort of bike are you looking for? Send me a message on facebook or something, one of my friends might have something for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Z3n posted:

Posting has been deleted :(

Glad to hear you're finally getting a bike though!

What sort of bike are you looking for? Send me a message on facebook or something, one of my friends might have something for you :)

Sent PM facebook was being stupid.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Very clean 2006 250, 8000 miles, decent tires. Lady is asking 2100. Portland, Or area. This is for my mother. She is thinking of offering 1800 or 2100 with gear, as the lady is thinking of selling hers. Decent price? No pictures, sorry.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I wouldn't bother buying the used gear unless it happens to fit her perfectly, and even then I wouldn't buy the helmet. Even if there's no visible damage, the foam lining could have been compressed at some point and thus be hosed.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

henne posted:

Very clean 2006 250, 8000 miles, decent tires. Lady is asking 2100. Portland, Or area. This is for my mother. She is thinking of offering 1800 or 2100 with gear, as the lady is thinking of selling hers. Decent price? No pictures, sorry.

Not a terrible price, but I've seen them going for cheaper then that: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1992885462.html

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2007730501.html

quote:

2003 kawasaki 250 ninja ,10k miles , non op dmv / no penalties , blue , right side has some scrapes and damage see pictures , new battery , needs tune up etc, starts runs , good engine and clutch and tranny

It's will definitely be a project bike. How difficult would it be to clean out the carburetor?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Arcane posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2007730501.html

It's will definitely be a project bike. How difficult would it be to clean out the carburetor?

Not bad, it'll just take a bit of time. See if you can get it for 500. If you don't want to deal with cleaning the carbs, you could get a set off of eBay for cheap. Budget for a chain, sprocket, and tires as well.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

Z3n posted:

Not bad, it'll just take a bit of time. See if you can get it for 500. If you don't want to deal with cleaning the carbs, you could get a set off of eBay for cheap. Budget for a chain, sprocket, and tires as well.

I decided not to get this bike. It was in a worse condition than described. It's ok though. I went to go pick this beauty up today.

2005 Ninja 250. 9k miles, never been laid down. I really wish it wasn't the first rain today so I could take it out. I'll have to wait till the middle of the week. Still, happy birthday to me indeed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Congrats! How much did you get it for and how old are the tires on your new bike?

I got a new bike today too :D

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

I paid $1700, which is more than I wanted, but this bike was so clean. The tires are stock so by the end of next summer I'll probably have to replace them. It's not a commuter bike so I don't expect to put on too many miles.

How do you have money or time for a new bike? Don't you have this big expensive event coming up soon?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should replace those tires now. They're at least 5 years old and they'll age and stop sticking. Check the date codes, if they're just 5 years old now you'll be ok but otherwise you need to pick up some new tires.

And I parted out a bike and am in the middle of parting out another one, that's how I afforded it. Plus it was cheap (and incomplete). You can check it out in my thread :)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Arcane posted:

I paid $1700, which is more than I wanted, but this bike was so clean. The tires are stock so by the end of next summer I'll probably have to replace them. It's not a commuter bike so I don't expect to put on too many miles.

How do you have money or time for a new bike? Don't you have this big expensive event coming up soon?

The stock tires are pretty awful, and were the first thing I replaced on both of my 250s. I recommend Pirelli's MT75, as it is both very sticky and very cheap.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I bought a new pair of tires and mistakenly bought the stock brand from a local shop without even realizing it until they were mounted on the wheels. loving tracks all over the goddamn place on the grooved concrete. :( At least they were relatively cheap and in stock for the ride that weekend.

I'll just deal with it for now as its mainly a commuter. Next set will definitely be an exercise in planning ahead though.

Sybok
May 25, 2006

giundy posted:

Oh ya, bliss.

Glad to see you are enjoying it. Didn't hear from you for a while and didn't know what happened to you. Good to see the blue bomber still jetting around.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Over the weekend Modify_Evolution let me take her streetfightered 250 our for a few hours on some proper sportbike roads over in southwest Wisconsin, despite my checkered history of not always keeping her bike upright :)

Guys, anyone who's never ridden a lightweight, low-power bike on some proper twisty roads REALLY needs to try it out at some point. It was a BLAST, I've been over those roads many times but it was a totally different experience on the Ninja. The shear speed that I could enter corners with blew me away. I know people always extol the virtues of this all the time, but to actually experience it is incredible. I was coming into corners hotter then I would have dared attempt on my Wee-Strom, and once I got over the OH poo poo TOO FAST instinct I realized that I was using hardly any lean angle and could probably have carried even MORE speed.

That's not to say the bike is perfect. The suspension is low-rate and easily unsettled by even minor bumps, and the bars felt really heavy at speed. It took a surprising amount of pressure on them to actually initiate more lean, especially when the bike was already over. The front suspension isn't great, but I felt the rear was a bigger problem, it felt VERY hard and un-compliant. I'm only about 160lbs, and Modify_Evolution is 140, and I think the stock is designed for someone much heavier then either of us.

If I was staying in the US, I would totally buy my own EX250, and then spend some time building the suspension and really setting it up for me. I mean, sure it's struggling to get above 80mph, but holy poo poo is the bike fun :D

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I know this whole forum has a motard fetish right now (including me) but what you describe is how I felt switching from my CBR to my KTM 625. Except the suspension and brakes are really good. And it was easy to lever over at speed because of the wide bars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah a motard is like a 250 with more power and not so much sucking. :v:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
goddamn it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

goddamn it

Impressive. Most impressive. The 250 has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only if you purchase a supermoto can you destroy me.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

oh hell yes!

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

...am I the only one who thinks it looks like a turtle facing to the left? Or a weird motorcycle pacman?
Om nom nom.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

modify_evolution posted:

I can play this game too!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Streetfighter that bike. Plastic on bikes is unnecessary!

(Omg, I know the mirrors are wrong. My darling, beloved mother backed into it when it was parked OFF the driveway, and broke off both bar-ends).

Aawww I loved the bar-ends.

So nostalgic to see pics of the bike. But so happy it went to a good home.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Aawww I loved the bar-ends.

So nostalgic to see pics of the bike. But so happy it went to a good home.

:-( I did too. I was like "Oh, if I drop the bike they'll be the first things to go...I just won't drop it!" and then my mom backed into it after I'd had it for like, 3 days. She claimed she didn't see it, except if she hadn't hit the bike, she'd have hit the house. And I know she saw the house.

The bike is stupid fun, and I am so glad you were willing to go through the hassle of shipping it.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Got my first bike today:

Click here for the full 2000x1500 image.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Was it stored in shrink wrap?

Just finished my first long road trip, Wilmington NC to Washington DC. 350 miles each way. Managed 80mph most of the way and the bike seemed happy. 10k rpm was fairly smooth over 8-9 so it felt like the natural pace. Still managed 55mpg.

Are there any replacement rear pegs? My feet kept pushing them up to the point I just put my heels on the hinge, which caused hot spots even through the thick soles of my boots.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

giundy posted:

Was it stored in shrink wrap?

Just finished my first long road trip, Wilmington NC to Washington DC. 350 miles each way. Managed 80mph most of the way and the bike seemed happy. 10k rpm was fairly smooth over 8-9 so it felt like the natural pace. Still managed 55mpg.

Are there any replacement rear pegs? My feet kept pushing them up to the point I just put my heels on the hinge, which caused hot spots even through the thick soles of my boots.

I was actually surprised at how well it was kept. it's got 12k miles on it and the only really noticeable thing is a few scratches on the exhaust

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly
Crosspost from the Show Your Bike thread...

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Loving this thing. Keeping it within 4k rpm for break in is nigh impossible, though...

Question: Does anyone have a good pictoral/video guide for adjusting the shift lever/rear brake lever? They're both a litttttle high for me and googling has only turned up guides for older models.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

platform shoes.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Surly posted:

Loving this thing. Keeping it within 4k rpm for break in is nigh impossible, though...

I personally broke in a 250 for every last mile exactly as the manual suggests. My advice is to gently caress it and just ride it. There's a ton of debate both ways on what's best, but most agree that the real important part is varying your RPM (not keeping it at once place for too long). Keeping that variety is pretty drat hard to do under 4K RPM, so if anything you're probably doing yourself a disservice unless you ride exclusively under 45MPH or something.

Even if in the worst case scenario, let's say it reduces your engine life by 10%, this bike will be long gone by then.

edit: looks like I was beaten by the other thread you posted this in

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Surly posted:

Crosspost from the Show Your Bike thread...

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Question: Does anyone have a good pictoral/video guide for adjusting the shift lever/rear brake lever? They're both a litttttle high for me and googling has only turned up guides for older models.

The shift lever will be adjustable by loosening and rotating the shift rod, but make sure you don't run it all the way out so it's just hanging on by a few threads. If you can't get acceptable adjustment out of it like that, then you can remove the bolt that holds the end of it to the splined rod that comes out of the engine, pull it off, and rotate it 1 or 2 splines to change the adjustment range.

Brake lever should be adjustable by adjusting the nuts on the master cylinder that it attaches to. Take some pictures and I can give more detailed instructions.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Surly posted:

The shift lever is dead simple. Seriously, just look at it and you'll figure it out if you have a shred of intelligence. It's basically the same as a car's windshield wipers. You just pop out the bolt, slide it off the splined spindle it is mounted on, rotate it to the position you want, slide it back on the splined spindle it mounts on, and reinstall the bolt.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Demonlord posted:

Got my first bike today:

Click here for the full 2000x1500 image.

I'm posting a picture of my "new" bike only to contrast with yours. Yours looks amazing, mine looks like she's been loved by several young men. Exhaust is scratched to hell, handlebars and front too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desertfox621
Nov 27, 2005
Wakka Wakka
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first bike. I'm taking an MSF course in 2 weeks, and have friends who have ninjas. I put up a WTB ad on craigslist, and a lady sent me an offer for an 07 ninja, no damage, 1000 miles, for 2000. Is this a good deal? I'll be sure to have someone who knows something about bikes check it out, so add another 100 or so to that price. Just trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's in good shape, that's a pretty good deal.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

So my housemate just smashed up his shiny 2008 two weeks after the MSF and one week after an afternoon of parking lot drills. We had cones and everything and as it was getting dark I realized we had forgotten proper braking drills. Or rather, I spent my time doing wheelies, skid turns and drifts (sometimes all three at once, I'm that good) while he was busy with figure-8s. Lo and behold, he was going around a mild s-turn coming up on a weird intersection, found himself going too fast, locked the front ham-fistedly, and ended up highsiding up onto a curb. So currently I am 3 out of 3 on noobs who went riding with me and either crashed on the spot, or soon after in this case. 3 out of 6 if you count non-noobs.

If a body catch a body comin' through the rye...

Any suggestions on a good streetfighter kit?

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 28, 2010

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly
So I had a weird, mildly frightening experience on my 2010 250 today, and I'm not entirely sure the cause.

It's got about 1500 miles on it, went through the break in maintenance at the 600 mile mark and haven't had any out of the ordinary mechanical anomalies other than today. I was coming up to a light and practicing my engine braking, shifting down at the 4k mark and slowly releasing the clutch until I got down to first. When I started to let the clutch out at first, I heard a really nasty grinding noise. I pulled the clutch back in immediately and pulled over to inspect everything visually in a parking lot and everything looked ok. Rode it a bit in the lot shifting from 1st to third up and down and rode home without incident.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? At 1500 miles I certainly would t expect any major mechanical problems...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Sounds like you might have just shifted too lightly in to gear, and thus not really been in gear when you released the clutch. Shift with authority.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Drain the oil and check the filter if you're stressed at all. It's like homeopathic medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

blugu64 posted:

Sounds like you might have just shifted too lightly in to gear, and thus not really been in gear when you released the clutch. Shift with authority.

Kawasakis are particularly vulnerable to this, I've found. Stomp on that shifter.

• Locked thread