Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I think the "easier to read on retina" hype is a load of bull. The issue with reading on LCD screens is the fact that they're backlit and shooting light directly into your eyeballs rather than reflecting light like eInk, not that the text is a little fuzzy.

So e-ink doesn't "shoot light directly into your eyeballs"? What sense are you using then because you sure as hell aren't seeing anything without photons streaming onto your retina.

Seriously, I think the problem people have with LCD screens is that they have the backlight set to the "signal overflying aircraft" mode. Turn the brightness down and blink every now and then so your eyes don't dry out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Oneiros posted:

So e-ink doesn't "shoot light directly into your eyeballs"? What sense are you using then because you sure as hell aren't seeing anything without photons streaming onto your retina.

Oh please, you're just being pedantic. You and I both know that there's quite a large difference in intensity and focus. Can't you recognize a little bit of exaggeration instead of trying to call me stupid?

quote:

Seriously, I think the problem people have with LCD screens is that they have the backlight set to the "signal overflying aircraft" mode. Turn the brightness down and blink every now and then so your eyes don't dry out.

Try turning down the brightness on your LCD and say goodbye to the contrast! Even then, it's still a flashlight beamed onto your eyes.

Edit: Additionally, just recognize that this is certainly an issue that affects people in different ways. I'm not alone in finding a difference in reading comfort with LCDs and books, and I'm probably with the majority of people on this matter too. In my case I'll even admit it's probably due to the fact that I wear contact lenses, which are notorious for causing greater light sensitivity.

Magnificent Quiver fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 23, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have the 650 (350's big brother basically), and it's pretty great. Hell of a lot better than the kobo.

The screen is pretty amazing (new eink screen that the newest gen of kindles uses), the touchscreen is loving fantastic, and the software is pretty simple to use. If she can drag and drop files, she can add, remove, or organize the 350 how she wants.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Edit: Additionally, just recognize that this is certainly an issue that affects people in different ways. I'm not alone in finding a difference in reading comfort with LCDs and books, and I'm probably with the majority of people on this matter too. In my case I'll even admit it's probably due to the fact that I wear contact lenses, which are notorious for causing greater light sensitivity.

The iPad was not made to be read by people who use contact lenses, you are reading the screen wrong.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have the 650 (350's big brother basically), and it's pretty great. Hell of a lot better than the kobo.

The screen is pretty amazing (new eink screen that the newest gen of kindles uses), the touchscreen is loving fantastic, and the software is pretty simple to use. If she can drag and drop files, she can add, remove, or organize the 350 how she wants.

I think the current problem they have is price. That one I mentioned is $90 during boxing day sales, whereas any e-reader available in Canada is $140+, and they see that as too expensive :/

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a listing of different Kindle hacks out there somewhere? There's not really anything in particular that I want to do; I'm just curious as far as what can be done, really. I've done the custom screensaver hack, and I've seen font hacks, is that it?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there a listing of different Kindle hacks out there somewhere? There's not really anything in particular that I want to do; I'm just curious as far as what can be done, really. I've done the custom screensaver hack, and I've seen font hacks, is that it?
I kind of hope there aren't too many hacks for it. I love the screen on my Kindle, and the only reason I can sit down and actually use it for reading is that it's not a multi-function device. poo poo, I spent like 3 hours this week hacking and tweaking my phone just because I could. If I was trying to read a book, and could easily check my email, play some games, browse the web and hack the thing, I would never make it through a book in a reasonable amount of time. I am very easily distracted if the distractions are in my hand.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of hope there aren't too many hacks for it. I love the screen on my Kindle, and the only reason I can sit down and actually use it for reading is that it's not a multi-function device. poo poo, I spent like 3 hours this week hacking and tweaking my phone just because I could. If I was trying to read a book, and could easily check my email, play some games, browse the web and hack the thing, I would never make it through a book in a reasonable amount of time. I am very easily distracted if the distractions are in my hand.

No doubt, I was talking more like UI hacks and tweaks, personally. The thing already has a web browser. All the drat distraction in the world, though I usually don't touch it.

I think a couple things I wish I could do the most would be to have the ability to organize into collections based on folder substructure on the device, and to have it display last-read book cover art as the standby screen.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

sirbeefalot posted:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Hacks_Information

I use Kindleabra to organize my ridiculous collection.

SLOSifl posted:

Whoops.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The Aphasian posted:

Whoops.
poo poo. Well, I do love loving with my devices. As long as I don't end up being distracted while actually using it, I'm fine. I haven't even looked at that page yet, but the best would be having the current book's cover on the lock screen. Currently I have a small rotation of Harry Potter and Twilight covers, as a joke (kind of).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

Most eBook stores have a book if it's been published on eBook format to begin with. All number comparisons usually come down to manipulation of public domain and otherwise free publications on either side so it's all pretty much a moot point.

The biggest issue by far for eBook title availability is simply publishing electronically at all. There are so many things that simply aren't out for any device.

I'm a Heinlein fan, but there are only a handful of titles available in eBook format. They are still only "looking into" offering the Harry Potter series in eBook form. Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide series is in eBook format but Dirk Gently is nowhere to be found (which is something I think he would be really upset about since he was such a technophile.) You'll have random books in various series not be available.

Granted, there's a LOT of stuff out there too, it just feels like they could do better.

You can find most of the Heinlein books in audiobook form heh.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

whatever7 posted:

You can find most of the Heinlein books in audiobook form heh.

I just gave up on hunting down the Black Company books about a year ago.

The publishers just don't seem to know what they're doing yet. A lot of the complaints are over piracy, which is sort of a null point seeing as anything anybody would want(Harry Potter) gets scanned and ends up on the web regardless.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Fuzzykinz posted:

I just gave up on hunting down the Black Company books about a year ago.

I've managed to find a few of them, but far from a whole set.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

I've managed to find a few of them, but far from a whole set.

You got infinitely luckier than I ever did, fellow goon.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Fuzzykinz posted:

You got infinitely luckier than I ever did, fellow goon.

If you would like to speak about... something completely unrelated, send an email to my username @gmail.com

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

...anyways...

After spending twenty minutes with a nook color today, my long-held beliefs that LCD screens and e-readers cannot possibly form happy couples has been challenged.

After a side-by-side with my iPad, I have a few observations:

-Screen quality definitely seemed better on the nook color.

-I found it to be a very sluggish device, while still being very intuitive to use.

-I liked the weight of it, it was about in the sweet spot, where the iPad is a little too heavy.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

My wife collected gift cards from the whole family and went out to buy my Nook Color for Christmas... And every Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and Walmart in the area are sold out.

:saddowns:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

My wife collected gift cards from the whole family and went out to buy my Nook Color for Christmas... And every Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and Walmart in the area are sold out.

:saddowns:

Sorry to hear that, but...its less than 2 days before Christmas....

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

And according to BN, it's "The hottest gift of the season!!!1!"

I wonder how many of these things are actually out in the wild now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Nook Color, they pushed out a new software update that broke my wifi. I called for support and they helped me do a full reset without telling me that that's what we were doing, or that it would delete all my files. Thanks, dicks.

I have everything backed up and can put it back on, but it does seem that you should perhaps say to a customer "hey, this is going to delete all of your stuff" before you walk them through the procedure that will delete all of their stuff.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

I had to call their support back in May about my original nooks screen getting smashed. They still had me do the reset poo poo.

Their support seems to be about as bad as their forums.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Well of course, but it doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed. I kind of expected the Kindle to still be whipping the NC. I wouldnt have thought it would be sold out at every retailer in Memphis. Heck there are plenty of iPads everywhere!

Btw, anyone have any experience with Squaretrade for extended warranties?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Speaking of Nook Color, they pushed out a new software update that broke my wifi. I called for support and they helped me do a full reset without telling me that that's what we were doing, or that it would delete all my files. Thanks, dicks.

I have everything backed up and can put it back on, but it does seem that you should perhaps say to a customer "hey, this is going to delete all of your stuff" before you walk them through the procedure that will delete all of their stuff.

The poor support I got from BN was one of the reasons I returned my nook color. My screen would randomly freak out and the device would constantly freeze and require a reboot. They would not even let me exchange it back in November. I just got my money back and said gently caress it. I guess I am too used to dealing with Apple?

EDIT: I still think the NC is good for 250 bones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

Well of course, but it doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed. I kind of expected the Kindle to still be whipping the NC. I wouldnt have thought it would be sold out at every retailer in Memphis. Heck there are plenty of iPads everywhere!

Btw, anyone have any experience with Squaretrade for extended warranties?

Barnes and Noble is doing a great job on marketing, and regular people just seem to think "oh color! that's worth the extra $$ over the Kindle!" And for some it is, but its kind of a feature that people get excited for without really thinking it through.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm pretty sure B&N just can't keep up production on the Nook Color right now, I doubt its really outselling the Kindle or whatever. Does noone remember how for the Kindle 1 and 2, both times at launch, if you didn't order within hours of release, you needed to wait weeks or even months to get them? Now Amazon actually has a big rear end production line available for their stuff, which apparently B&N doesn't.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Barnes and Noble is doing a great job on marketing, and regular people just seem to think "oh color! that's worth the extra $$ over the Kindle!" And for some it is, but its kind of a feature that people get excited for without really thinking it through.

Yeah. I wanted an ereader as well as something to read web content with without being as unwieldy as a laptop/netbook or squinting on my iPhone. Always thought iPad was my only option but the price tag made me sick. Nook Color hits that sweet spot price point. Pandora and other possible apps are just the icing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Capnbigboobies posted:

EDIT: I still think the NC is good for 250 bones.

For 250 it's great. There are definitely things I'd change given my druthers, but overall it's pretty drat sweet.

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)

Trig Discipline posted:

For 250 it's great. There are definitely things I'd change given my druthers, but overall it's pretty drat sweet.

Non-Rooted, it makes for a passable reader. Rooted, then it's a loving awesome Android Tablet.

Awesome Xmas present.

Honestly, the reader it comes with kinda blows and I'm really loving the alternatives, especially Aldiko.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't bothered rooting mine yet. Basically I plan to wait and see what B&N is going to make available when they open their app store, and root the Nook if I'm not satisfied.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Here in the Baltimore area, my husband reported that the non-color Nooks have been sold out for weeks. He's been trying to buy me a Nook WiFi for several weeks and couldn't get one anywhere. He said that they kept trying to sell him the Nook Color instead, so they must have had some of those left.

He ended up getting me a Nook 3G simply because there were no WiFi nooks left. And the one he got was one of only two remaining 3G Nooks.

And now my new 3G Nook won't find the 1.5 update. I have it on my wifi connection, and I've tried the "Check for new content" button, and it still isn't doing anything. Any ideas?

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Fuzzykinz posted:

And according to BN, it's "The hottest gift of the season!!!1!"

I wonder how many of these things are actually out in the wild now.

I got one for my wife for Christmas. I assumed they would be sold out at B&N because they were sold out at Best Buy, so I ordered it online. I went into the B&N to look at accessories and they were like "yeah, we have some". Oh well, shipping was free and we got it before Christmas, so no big deal.

I'm going to let my wife use it as-is until we find some functionality we really need to root it for.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mnemosyne posted:

Here in the Baltimore area, my husband reported that the non-color Nooks have been sold out for weeks.

My Dad just managed to find one for my Mom yesterday for Christmas (Southern PA). I got a frantic phone call about "why does one say color, and the other just says e-reader, I don't get it...which one is like yours...isn't color better...but it has that little color screen...but Consumer reports said...ehh gently caress it, if she doesn't like it I'll take it back and get the color one for her after Christmas."

This is literally as B&N is closing...Best Buy was sold out. Way to plan ahead Dad.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Just got the Wi-fi+3G Nook for Christmas.

Now to figure out how to get free news and blog feeds on it.

Oddly, every Wal-Mart in North Mississippi appeared to have the Wi-Fi Nook and Nook Color two days before Christmas, but it took some doing to find the 3G one.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 25, 2010

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

LtStorm posted:

Just got the Wi-fi+3G Nook for Christmas.

Now to figure out how to get free news and blog feeds on it.

Oddly, every Wal-Mart in North Mississippi appeared to have the Wi-Fi Nook and Nook Color two days before Christmas, but it took some doing to find the 3G one.

That's because nobody in Mississippi has wi-fi networks. Or computers. Or electricity. Or shoes.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Ara posted:

That's because nobody in Mississippi has wi-fi networks. Or computers. Or electricity. Or shoes.

Dang. I should have sent my wife to Olive Branch or Southaven. By now those Mississippians are using the leftover nook colors as firewood or Christmas dinner.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Mnemosyne posted:

And now my new 3G Nook won't find the 1.5 update. I have it on my wifi connection, and I've tried the "Check for new content" button, and it still isn't doing anything. Any ideas?
Try a power cycle. I've found that fixes a lot of things. If that doesn't work, you can download the update from B&N and do a manual update.

Edit: Just thought of something else. The "Check for new content" button is on the My Documents screen. You need the "Check for new B&N content" button on the My B&N Library screen.

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 25, 2010

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

People who have owned a kindle for a while: is it worth it getting a screen protector? I've applied one but with such a large screen it is nigh impossible to remove all the bubbles and they are sort of distracting. If the screen is fairly durable and scratch resistant I might just remove it.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I bought my wife a nook color for christmas. Today we woke up and set everything up. She put it on our network, and for some reason its getting a lovely signal. We have tons of other things we use in the house with wireless (xbox360, Iphones, Laptops etc) but for some reason this has a horrendous signal. I cant even sit in my living room 15 feet away from the router without losing the signal. Is this a common problem? I even installed the 1.01 firmware but still nothing. Do I have any options?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GruntyThrst posted:

People who have owned a kindle for a while: is it worth it getting a screen protector? I've applied one but with such a large screen it is nigh impossible to remove all the bubbles and they are sort of distracting. If the screen is fairly durable and scratch resistant I might just remove it.

Well, I just keep mine in its case so I don't need a screen protector. I really only use screen protectors on things with touchscreens, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

madprocess posted:

Well, I just keep mine in its case so I don't need a screen protector. I really only use screen protectors on things with touchscreens, personally.

What case do you use?