Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)
For anyone in Bellevue WA that still needs Series 2 minifigs, the Learning Quest store on the bottom floor of Bellevue Square had a few boxes out. The cashiers also had a box or two pre-identified and were selling specific ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Popeahuntis posted:

Hey guys, I've been following/stalking/lurking this thread for ages now and was wondering if you could help me out?

Dug this out of my mums attic, it was my step-dads.
Was just wondering the rarity of it?

I don't know anything about Technic, but I think people have said that the pneumatic parts are no longer produced, so maybe that means it's rare/worth something now.

Alpha Shroom posted:

Kick-rear end Imperial mech.

That's pretty rad!

Alpha Shroom
Mar 12, 2007

:iamafag:I AM A HUGE GODDAMN FAGGOT, DON'T READ ANY OF MY POSTS:iamafag:

Time Cowboy posted:

That's pretty rad!

Thanks! Here's one detail I forgot in the last post:

And one last fun picture for the new page:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Nighthawk posted:

For anyone in Bellevue WA that still needs Series 2 minifigs, the Learning Quest store on the bottom floor of Bellevue Square had a few boxes out. The cashiers also had a box or two pre-identified and were selling specific ones.

Really? drat, I was just there the other day with my sister. I think we went in that store, but I didn't see anything.

Popeahuntis posted:

Hey guys, I've been following/stalking/lurking this thread for ages now and was wondering if you could help me out?

Dug this out of my mums attic, it was my step-dads.
Was just wondering the rarity of it?

Not terribly rare, or at least, not that in demand. MSRP was $82 back in '97 when it was released, and you can get it complete on Bricklink for about $100.

Stabby The Clown
Jul 6, 2007

I love Lego. Getting new sets just to tear them down and build something new was a huge part of my childhood. A couple of years ago, after I created a little fighter out of a random pile of Lego on his kitchen table, my buddy and I got back into it. He dug his two tupperware tubs out of his basement and we spent hours building ships. Shortly afterward, I found my one tub, and we threw it all together. Unfortunately, he keeps it at his house. I simply do not have enough room.

Twice a year, (New Year's and Canada Day) we go up to our other friend's cabin, and since getting hooked again we've brought the Lego up each time. We've come up with some pretty badass creations, and I promise I'll post some pictures of whatever we create this year, very early next year. If you know what I mean.

This, however,

Coder posted:

GOD drat LEGO CLOCK

has totally ripped my mind away from space cruisers and castles. After seeing that, I realized that I have very little (read: no) mechanical knowledge, and that must change.

I've started studying the inner workings of clocks, and I am determined to build a Lego clock myself. Although I will not have the time to build one this New Year's weekend, I will be actively pulling out gears and axles and other assorted and appropriate pieces to take home with me.

I personally think it will be interesting to see if I can actually make a working clock. Hell, with my lack of mechanical aptitude, it will be difficult to even create a working escapement. But I sure do love me a challenge.

Of course, any tips or insightful thoughts are more than welcome.

tl;dr - Coder's Lego clock is awesome and you're an idiot if you skipped over his posts.

And, of course, for content:

http://creator.lego.com/en-gb/products/default.aspx#6753

Got this for Christmas. I love when holidays come early.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have attempted to build something using two Build-A-Zurgs. It was really difficult trying to fit those ridiculously huge and far too heavy purple barrel bits so that they won't instantly fall down(I did not succeed, but at least I propped them up somewhat).

What is this monstrosity? Another weird looking walker mech thing?

Nay, it's a Zurg Viper! Just imagine the two white pole things are one big fin ok :v:

And this is what happens whenever I try to, well, do ANYTHING with it. Sometimes it just does it on its own, no assistance needed.

I really like it, but it's simply too heavy. Those barrel things weigh about as much as the ENTIRE REST OF THE SHIP. This leads to obvious balance and not-falling-apart issues.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 24, 2010

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
For those that like impressive Lego clocks, check this out:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/clock.html

When it comes to Lego, Eric Harshbarger is a God among men.

The Mona Lisa:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/mona_lisa_2.html

The Desk:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/desk.html

Check out the rest of his stuff and drool.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

Stabby The Clown posted:

has totally ripped my mind away from space cruisers and castles. After seeing that, I realized that I have very little (read: no) mechanical knowledge, and that must change.

I've started studying the inner workings of clocks, and I am determined to build a Lego clock myself. Although I will not have the time to build one this New Year's weekend, I will be actively pulling out gears and axles and other assorted and appropriate pieces to take home with me.

I personally think it will be interesting to see if I can actually make a working clock. Hell, with my lack of mechanical aptitude, it will be difficult to even create a working escapement. But I sure do love me a challenge.

Of course, any tips or insightful thoughts are more than welcome.

tl;dr - Coder's Lego clock is awesome and you're an idiot if you skipped over his posts.
Glad I could be of some inspiration! This is very similar to my inspiration, I saw inside someone elses (real) weight driven pendulum clock, and after a week of thinking about it I went to mom's house to get my legos (and had a major scare that she gave them away when we couldn't find them). Mine is modeled after the one I saw's style: a box with the clock face hanging up on the wall with the weights and pendulum coming out the bottom of the box.

The escapement was definitely by far the hardest part of the clock, I spent a whole day trying 20 different failures before coming up with what I've got now (the yellow piece in my video). Once you've got the escapement, the rest is only as hard as you want to make it.

I don't want to give away too many of the interesting challenges of the clock (hell, most of my solutions probably aren't worth using anyways), but here are some general issues for getting any clock accurate:

- The pendulum should not swing very high, just enough to make a reliable escapement. The formula for the pendulum period T ~ 2*pi*sqrt(L/g) is an approximation that is only valid for small swings.

- The weight should be just enough to keep the pendulum going. The escapement should only push the pendulum hard enough to overcome friction of swinging, if it is pushing too hard the pendulum will not swing freely and compromise the accuracy of the clock.

- The pendulum needs to be rigid enough not to bend with pressure from the escapement. This is somewhat challenging with legos if you try to make a meter long pendulum for a 2 second period. That is why I made my pendulum have a period of 1 second instead (accidentally gearing my clock face for 20 RPM of the escapement instead of 10 has absolutely nothing to do with it...I swear)

Good luck!

rockinricky posted:

Eric Harshbarger's clock
drat! That is pretty sweet. Guy has a poo poo-ton of legos, I almost ran out of structural pieces building my little clock.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
For those who want to be impressed (or jealous) even more, check out the work of Henry Lim, another Lego God:

The Harpsichord!

http://www.henrylim.org/Harpsichord.html

It's playable.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The kids are getting the Grand Emporium for Christmas. I'm so stoked to build it with them tomorrow :woop:

It's just sitting there in my bedroom, taunting me.

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Cheers guys for the info on the set. Just finished building it today. The pnuematic parts and set up is pretty cool to play with.
Going to try and come up with some more stuff with it asap

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
How to build a compass out of Lego WITHOUT using a magnet:
http://gizmodo.com/5716181/how-to-build-a-compass-out-of-lego++without-using-any-magnets
Kind of a cheat though because you have to know which way is north to start with.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

tactical_grace posted:

How to build a compass out of Lego WITHOUT using a magnet:
http://gizmodo.com/5716181/how-to-build-a-compass-out-of-lego++without-using-any-magnets
Kind of a cheat though because you have to know which way is north to start with.
That doesnt seem quite right, I think the gears on the top need to have a 1:2 ratio. Still pretty cool though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Flavor Bear posted:

Finally scored some S3 minifigs.
Got 2 K-Feds, 2 Baseballers, an Elf, a Tennis Player, a Hula Girl, and 3 Mummies.
I didn't mind a bit about the dupes on the baseballer and rapper, but the 3 mummies kinda blows.

I need a rapper! If want to sell/trade let me know!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/Default.aspx?va=1

Major sale at the LEGO online store! Buy quick because they're selling out. Don't know if they'll follow up with these prices at their brick and mortar stores after Christmas.

vonbaron
Nov 10, 2008
Ugh I just got a lego catalog in the mail and Ninjas were on the front.

Now, when I was a kid if there was one single lego I wanted, it was ninjas. Even now I think (from the promo pics anyways) the ninja forts were some of the best-looking lego buildings ever designed. So imagine my horror when I opened the catalog and peeped the hideous new-lego abominations within. Lego, why must you rape my childhood, slit its throat, and leave it to die in a ditch... all on Christmas? :(

On the other hand, the new Diagon Alley looks sweet as hell.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

ireladd posted:

Major sale at the LEGO online store! Buy quick because they're selling out. Don't know if they'll follow up with these prices at their brick and mortar stores after Christmas.

They're mostly sold out. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

vonbaron posted:

Now, when I was a kid if there was one single lego I wanted, it was ninjas. Even now I think (from the promo pics anyways) the ninja forts were some of the best-looking lego buildings ever designed.

I don't know, dude. The promo pics do look pretty sweet, but if you look at the instructions for something like Flying Ninja's Fortress (6093), you can tell it has that excessively modular, one-giant-piece construction that all the late 90s/early 00s sets had. Some of the detail work, like with the roofs and the smaller vehicle sets, was neat, but I never have a use for giant thick block bricks. That said, I wish Lego would do an interesting spin on the "castle" theme like that again. The orc theme was nice, a good revamped ninja theme would be nicer. :(

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 25, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Built the 7470 (Space Shuttle Discovery) set today. Like the other sets from this seller, it was missing some pieces, but nothing critical. It's interesting to compare it with the Shuttle Adventure from this year. The piece count is roughly the same (1204 pieces for Shuttle Adventure, but that includes the SRBs, ET, and a basic launch pad; 826 for the Discovery), and the Discovery is about 20-25% larger than the Adventure. A lot of the mechanisms are similar: the bay doors use the same hinge and are constructed almost the same way. The landing gear are close, but made more compact--they use a single shock each instead of a pair of rubber bands.
The CanadaArm on the Adventure is much better. The Discovery uses bulky click hinges and doesn't look anything like the real one. It does, of course, support weight much better than the friction-pin arm in the Adventure.

Now I need to rebuild the shuttle from 1682 and line 'em all up with the tiny Endeavor from the ISS set. And maybe try to source some dark orange to make a ET and pair of SRBs for the Discovery.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

While looking around on Peeron and being sad that we were too poor to get Lego this Christmas, I was amazed at how bad set designs were in the late 90s/early 00s. 1280 has to be the lamest excuse for a set I've ever seen. The whole Dino Island series looks amazingly half-assed, like the set design team from Time Cruisers series were told to throw together an imitation of Playmobil. After the last few years of really well-designed sets, it's hard to believe that 5975 (T-Rex Transport) was the set that got me out of my dark ages.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ireladd posted:

Great, I'm sure some scalpers are having a very merry Christmas right now. gently caress I wanted a Green Grocer so badly. :cry:

edit: holy gently caress Target messed up my Lunar Limo order and instead sent me ONE Undersea Explorer. They better loving give me the two Lunar Limos I ordered because they charged me for the drat things.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 25, 2010

drivel
Feb 24, 2005
Drivel is what comes forth from your mouth why don't you SHUT THE FUCK UP,Mods?

Nap Ghost
Yeah I was lining up to buy the Taj Mahal in the new year. Sucks. That would have been a complete bargain at that price. And yeah the scalpers are all up on it for $400+ now :(

I'm disappointed its doesnt look possible to get in on the modular town sets now if you didn't get in early. I like buying these new big sets but there is no way I want to pay aftermarket prices for them when they are just going to bring out something else I want to buy in a few weeks.

drivel fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 25, 2010

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

If it is any small consolation, yeah, they listed both the Green Grocer and the Taj Mahal in the sale, but those sets have been discontinued through LEGO online for weeks now, which is about to be the case with the other sets listed for sale. They are clearing out stock. So I'm pretty sure no scalper actually got hold of the two you guys were interested in. Granted, that doesn't make it too much better, what with buying them later with the crazy after market demand making it so expensive, but like I said... small consolation.

I have heard now that physical LEGO stores will be halving the costs on Sunday on all Prince of Persia LEGO, as well as a good amount of Atlantis and Space Police, and I am strongly guessing that any store that still had stock of what went on sale online will be seeing that discount as well.

I wish you all luck. Beat the scalpers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ireladd posted:

drat, didn't think to check the site last night. Looks like the Space Police are all gone, which are the only ones I've really been eyeing this year.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I've been suffering from a complete lack of inspiration ever since completing my last CAD model, so I haven't had much to contribute here lately. But I haven't done a space ship for a while and I finally found the ambition to slap together a few things from my ideas folder. It's coming together nicely enough that I wanted to show off a work-in-progress. Still need to finish the cockpit and the undercarriage. Really wish those 1x10 curved slopes came in more colors, though.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

kensei posted:

I need a rapper! If want to sell/trade let me know!

Sorry, I actually want at least 1 more rapper.
I got loads of loving hula girls, mummies and tennis players though :argh:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I got my brother the Space Shuttle for Christmas. He seems to love it :).

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

vonbaron posted:

Ugh I just got a lego catalog in the mail and Ninjas were on the front.

Now, when I was a kid if there was one single lego I wanted, it was ninjas. Even now I think (from the promo pics anyways) the ninja forts were some of the best-looking lego buildings ever designed. So imagine my horror when I opened the catalog and peeped the hideous new-lego abominations within. Lego, why must you rape my childhood, slit its throat, and leave it to die in a ditch... all on Christmas? :(

Yes, but...

Click here for the full 1400x864 image.

:fap:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
i don't think this was posted, apologies if it has. My friend added me to the "Geeks" group on facebook otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. Chris Perillo, of former TechTV "fame" put this up. Apparently if you buy minifig magnets, they're glued to the base:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxsFeoRy53M

Is it me, or is this video the epitome of impotent nerd rage? I can understand buying them thinking you can use them, but they're magnets. They aren't toys.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Fooley posted:

Apparently if you buy minifig magnets, they're glued to the base:

Is it me, or is this video the epitome of impotent nerd rage? I can understand buying them thinking you can use them, but they're magnets. They aren't toys.

It's not so much buying them thinking you can use them, so much as previously, you could use them - these are the first ones to be glued. People used to buy the magnet packs to get certain minifigures without having to buy $100 sets. But Lucasfilm pulled their weight to say that the magnets had to be unusable as action figures (nominally because Hasbro has the exclusive licence to action figures, but really because Lucasfilm would rather people bought the $100 sets). As a result, in order to be 'fair', Lego have started gluing all of them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I wasn't really expecting anything Lego-related for Christmas--for the past couple Christmases and birthdays, my family's been getting me lego-related items. The flashlights, some shirts, stuff like that. Today, though, I was pleasantly surprised to get both the City Garage and Public Transport Station.
I just wish my shelves were big enough to set up a little Cityscape, but they're only deep enough to hold the Modular buildings.
Also got the little Toy Story 3 polybagged jeep in my stocking.

afflictionwisp posted:

I've been suffering from a complete lack of inspiration ever since completing my last CAD model, so I haven't had much to contribute here lately. But I haven't done a space ship for a while and I finally found the ambition to slap together a few things from my ideas folder. It's coming together nicely enough that I wanted to show off a work-in-progress. Still need to finish the cockpit and the undercarriage. Really wish those 1x10 curved slopes came in more colors, though.

Looks great! If you want unlimited color and piece choice, and don't care about the ridiculous Price feature, you can just enable Universe Mode in LDD.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
I got the Grand Carousel for Christmas and it's quite a doozy so far. Spent about 2 hours just sorting the pieces by color because 3000+ pieces on one floor is just asking for a huge back ache. Oh how I wish they had the numbered style bags for this one, although I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

I'm also glad to see that Santa put on clothes for the last day of the City advent calendar. Keep thonged Santa out of Christmas. :(

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

ireladd posted:

Man, I wish I saw this earlier. There are a bunch of creator sets I wanted that are near 30 dollars for 700+ pieces. I can't justify myself buying these sets at full/scalpers price too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Yeah, Christmas day was fun. My back hurts from sitting on the floor.

Nobody got me any Lego though :(

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Pyroclastic posted:

Looks great! If you want unlimited color and piece choice, and don't care about the ridiculous Price feature, you can just enable Universe Mode in LDD.

That much dark red and you think it isn't Universe Mode?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, Christmas day was fun. My back hurts from sitting on the floor.

Nobody got me any Lego though :(

Huzzah for Grand Emporium! I love that set. The modular buildings, in my opinion, are really the best things LEGO is putting out right now, and I can't wait to see what they're going to be releasing for 2011.

Speaking of which, here are some leaks for the mid-2011 sets, including a new Millennium Falcon, Pirates of the Caribbean, and a potentially cool line called Alien Conquest, that looks to blend campy 50's style alien ships against a more modern Earth task force.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57449914@N04/5288937230/in/photostream/

Lastly, I got the Tower Bridge for Christmas! :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

3 posted:

That much dark red and you think it isn't Universe Mode?

Well, he mentioned wishing a piece was in a different color...I assumed not.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Hoooooly balls, a medieval mill, a new City harbour, and a new Technic Super-fuckin'-car :flashfap:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Guzwar posted:

Hoooooly balls, a medieval mill, a new City harbour, and a new Technic Super-fuckin'-car :flashfap:

What? Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

What? Where?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57449914@N04/5288864554/sizes/l/in/photostream/