Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Skilleddk posted:

You take this back, Thief 3 was a great successor to the series. I agree that the levels were small, but the game looked fantastic at release, ran very well and holds up even today.

Anyway, I'm 15 hours into Deus Ex, and man, what a game. I can't seem to manage my inventory properly though, can anyone suggest something I should drop? I don't have a single free slot

I've got:

Sniper rifle
Assault Shotgun
Assault Rifle
GEP gun
Dragon Sword
Crossbow
3 LAM's
Medkits
Lockpicks
Multitools

I just don't know what to drop, everything is useful somehow. Sniper rifle is silenced so I can't lose that. Most weapon mods went into the assault rifle, so I want to keep that too. Also I'm trained mostly into rifles. GEP gun is great for opening doors and blowing up robots, the sword is just ridiculous with my speed augmentation (fully upgraded).

It's kinda frustrating finding aug canisters, having to drop something, backtrack several minutes to find a medbot and finding out I already have augmentation in that slot :sigh:

I would lose the crossbow, medkits (you got the regen aug right?) and the assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I would lose the crossbow, medkits (you got the regen aug right?) and the assault rifle.

I dunno, I still found tranq darts useful on occasion even at the end. Definitely lose the assault rifle though, between the shotgun and the DTS you're pretty much covered for close combat.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I'd lose the shotgun if you've already modded the rifle; you shouldn't need it between the sniper rifle, assault rifle and crossbow in a pinch. If it were me I'd also ditch the Dragon's Tooth Sword which, while cool, isn't something I generally concentrate on (it's badass, but my style is usually long range and the GEP Gun is a good enough lockpick :whatup: ), but again, that's me. You've got enough stuff in there between High Explosive assault rifle rounds, the GEP Gun, LAMs (and later EMP grenades if you haven't found any yet) that losing SABOT rounds in the shotgun won't hurt your ability to deal with robots.

(All that said I personally like the shotgun better as a weapon, but it feels like 9/10 enemies near the end of the game carry an assault rifle so you won't be hurting for ammo.)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
On my last playthrough I used Biomod, which made the Strength and Silent Run augs constant with no drain, as in IW. Between those and the unique baton added by Shifter, I didn't bother with the DTS because I could use Vision Enhancement to spot guards, run full pelt behind them and KO them in one strike.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The crossbow also fires underwater!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I ran with that setup, except biocells instead of medkits (Regenerate HOOOO) and with the pistol instead of the LAMs (especially in the pre-patched game, where you could get clip after clip of HEGs for the rifle).

I don't remember there particularly being a problem with carrying things about, but obviously you are. I would suggest dropping the LAMs in that. Hell, don't even drop them: just throw them at people.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't remember there particularly being a problem with carrying things about, but obviously you are. I would suggest dropping the LAMs in that. Hell, don't even drop them: just throw them at people.

This is the problem I always have. In Deus Ex, unlike any other game I play, I always get hoarders syndrome and just try to hang on to everything...you know, just in case. However I am always so conscious of my choices and progression that I am always too scared to use an item, in case I end up "wasting" it (which also doesn't make much sense for this game anyway). So I always roll into the last few areas with shitloads of every conceivable weapon choice so I just go balls out.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I pretty much do this in any RPG, especially Fallout

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Just started this again a couple of days ago, only up to Battery Park so far. It must be about 6 years since I last played this beyond Liberty Island. I'm going for a more stealthy approach than I'm used to. Or at least a less deadly approach towards the NSF.

WyrmHunter
Dec 25, 2005
Viscometers are sweet

Anachronox is the second goddamn best game ever made.

You must play it if you bought Deus Ex when it came out(You're cool) and saw it advertised on the Compact Disk case, that held that which is holy.

Created by ION Storm (That thing from Command and Conquerer Tiberiam Sun), it is just so loving great.

You can buy it..... on ebay?

Edit: The main character is named SLY BOOTS. That poo poo is so awesome. And you can have a planet as a party member.

WyrmHunter fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WyrmHunter posted:

Edit: The main character is named SLY BOOTS. That poo poo is so awesome. And you can have a planet as a party member.

And Canadian Dollars are the interstellar currency for no reason whatsoever. And you collect TACOs (Totally Arbitrary Collectible Object).

It's basically an American studio playing Final Fantasy VII and going "Hey, I can do that!". You can even patch in a fast-forward button to skip through boring stuff.

WyrmHunter
Dec 25, 2005
Viscometers are sweet

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And Canadian Dollars are the interstellar currency for no reason whatsoever. And you collect TACOs (Totally Arbitrary Collectible Object).

It's basically the second best game ever made.

If you collect enough taco's Paco gets a kick rear end move.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I just want to say that seeing a bunch of people talk about how awesome Anachronox is and comparing it to Deus Ex is an excellent Christmas present.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Not enough Anachronox love in the universe. Incredibly underrated although I recall it being the buggiest poo poo at release, I still loved it then and I still love it now.

The ending always makes me sad because I know there's no continuation. Who even owns the IP?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anachronox is a wonderful game and the fact that Anachronox 2 never happened (after the goddamn cliffhanger of cliffhangy endings argh) is a crime against humanity.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jesus christ the Anachronox wikipedia entry is ridiculously detailed. It has more than a hundred citations :psyduck:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We call that "world-building" :smugdog:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Holy gently caress, Anachronox. Does that game have any unofficial patches or poo poo? I'm having trouble getting it to run well on Windows 7 x64.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

WyrmHunter posted:

Anachronox is the second goddamn best game ever made.

This looks amazingly lovely. But it's… good?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gyshall posted:

Holy gently caress, Anachronox. Does that game have any unofficial patches or poo poo? I'm having trouble getting it to run well on Windows 7 x64.

There are a few unofficial patches if my memory isn't failing me, but I don't have a link.

Poppleganger: It's the funniest game ever made, easily, and very good.

WyrmHunter
Dec 25, 2005
Viscometers are sweet

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a few unofficial patches if my memory isn't failing me, but I don't have a link.

Poppleganger: It's the funniest game ever made, easily, and very good.

I dont know about finniest...

Ok funniest, but Bards tale was great!

It runs ok inside a virtual machine. The amazing thing is that the company got dissolved right after the game came out. One of the programmers () KEPT making unofficial patches for almost a year. So nice. I think it's this one: http://www.filefront.com/3613419/Anachronox-Unofficial-Retail-Build-44-Patch/

Poppleganger posted:

This looks amazingly lovely. But it's… good?

It's built on a Quake II Engine and to my eyes the graphics are very very similar to what you'd find in deus ex. Maybe the worlds have less objects but i don't know.

I feel that it left quit a bit of a legacy. It's the first PC-RPG that comes to mind that threw in mini games. (Like a sweet Boat Race) or hacking/lock picking type stuff.

Too bad it got GREAT REVIEWS (but got delayed by two years, didn't sell 2.5 million copies and that ion storm also released Daikatana). After the first hour it gets really fun.

WyrmHunter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 26, 2010

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, two things:

Played it for about 30 minutes, and now I can't switch weapons/items, no matter what, even after reloading. Will this problem return if I reinstall it, or should I just not bother?

Also, I went on to play IW, instead, and I'm being fairly entertained. What is it about this game that's considered bad? Are they real widely held criticisms, or more of an elitist, hardcore gamer thing?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

nickmeister posted:

Okay, two things:

Played it for about 30 minutes, and now I can't switch weapons/items, no matter what, even after reloading. Will this problem return if I reinstall it, or should I just not bother?

Also, I went on to play IW, instead, and I'm being fairly entertained. What is it about this game that's considered bad? Are they real widely held criticisms, or more of an elitist, hardcore gamer thing?

Deus Ex did some amazing, clever things that no game has ever tried to do since. IW kinda sorta pretended to do some clever things that were actually very very obviously dumb. If it wasn't trying and failing so hard at being Deus Ex, it'd be okay, but as it stands, it's like the wimpy little brother of the high school football captain.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Crappy Jack posted:

Deus Ex did some amazing, clever things that no game has ever tried to do since. IW kinda sorta pretended to do some clever things that were actually very very obviously dumb. If it wasn't trying and failing so hard at being Deus Ex, it'd be okay, but as it stands, it's like the wimpy little brother of the high school football captain.

Awright, I guess it'd be more obvious to me if I had played the first one. Hopefully I can get it to work properly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you haven't played DX then IW is probably fine. It's not so much that IW is a bad game (though it's nothing special) but that it fails miserably at being a sequel to the best game ever made.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bought both Deus Ex and Anachronox on their respective release dates. Probably my two best gaming-related purchases ever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Am I right in thinking biomods in IW are almost useless? I got both the strength and speed mods and haven't used them at all. I thought people were exaggerating about the game being dumbed down, but it really does feel that way.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

You take this back, Thief 3 was a great successor to the series.

Bullshit. Thief 3 was like an actioned-up lovely version with tiny levels and none of the charm that made Thief 1 and 2 my top 2 games of all time ever.

Started replaying through this about a month ago, making progress when I can. I had forgotten how long and detailed parts of this game were.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Momomo posted:

Am I right in thinking biomods in IW are almost useless? I got both the strength and speed mods and haven't used them at all. I thought people were exaggerating about the game being dumbed down, but it really does feel that way.

Hacking is kinda handy and bot domination has saved me some trouble here and there. Honestly, I just went with silent running and threw a silencer on my sniper rifle and went to town. There have only been a handful of enemies I can't one hit kill yet.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

nickmeister posted:

That happens to me if I start a new game from the in-game menu instead of the main menu. It could also be a multicore-related problem, so try this.

Also Anachronox is indeed awesome.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

Hacking is kinda handy and bot domination has saved me some trouble here and there. Honestly, I just went with silent running and threw a silencer on my sniper rifle and went to town. There have only been a handful of enemies I can't one hit kill yet.
emphasis on yet

But I got a new computer, one that can play recent games, so I reinstalled IW. I bought it before I knew it was "bad", having only played the PS2 version of Deus Ex before that; I don't have many other PC games. IW now actually runs at max at full speed, so I can aim fluidly and at least try to enjoy the game. I always use the speed enhancement for the jumping distance (for breaking or unbreaking levels), but otherwise hacking -- and later, the EMP drone -- are all I remember being important.

I might as well also ask, is there a non-shifter patch for the original Deus Ex? There are some bugs I can't stand, but I don't want the mod to shift all over the balance.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Huh, discovered that I could use that Deus Ex bible Gamespy had. Of course, now they have removed it.
Does anyone have a mirror or something? It was really good!

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/dx1/index.shtm is the site, but some of the last pages don't work.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/3102/t104186-deus-ex-bible-all-about-game-more-spoiler/ is the pages that dont work, however someone just did a dump of the text, not sure if it's complete etc. but this is what I found when I went looking a couple weeks back (still haven't read it yet)

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

insaine posted:

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/dx1/index.shtm is the site, but some of the last pages don't work.

Actually, it's all there. If a link gives you a 403 error, add index.shtm to the end of the URL and it will load. Not all the page links are always visible so use the "next" link, adding index.shtm where needed. The whole thing has 12 pages and ends with a section on Tracer Tong.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ah, thanks. I was massively annoyed by my 403 errors.

(What a shame)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This is my own mirror of the thing, it's still incomplete because a few pictures are missing (which I can now fix, yay! EDIT: Or maybe not, looks like my source had different images, they owned because it was early stuff...), but most of it is there:

http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

Please keep in mind that after the Tracer Tong bit on the end (2/3rds on my page), I've also pasted a conversation from The Nameless Mod with two NPCs that basically say pretty much everything from the bible, but a bit differently, and add some additional little bits of info.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 2, 2011

insaine
Aug 29, 2006

Cray posted:

Actually, it's all there. If a link gives you a 403 error, add index.shtm to the end of the URL and it will load. Not all the page links are always visible so use the "next" link, adding index.shtm where needed. The whole thing has 12 pages and ends with a section on Tracer Tong.

Yeah I thought it was all there, I remember finding it awhile back after a link in this thread and it all worked fine, but yeah I was getting the 404's so I found that other link.

Glad it's all still in once piece though!

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Tecman posted:

This is my own mirror of the thing, it's still incomplete because a few pictures are missing (which I can now fix, yay! EDIT: Or maybe not, looks like my source had different images, they owned because it was early stuff...)

Yeah the gamespy version has screenshots from what I assume is the PS2 version of the game. I've been looking for early PC screenshots too, would be nice to have a decent quality version of this, for example:

In addition to Navarre's different haircut and clothing, JC appears to have orange glasses.

Speaking of early versions of the game, I thought the colored concept art of the Rutger Hauer version of Gunther Hermann and white Smuggler that you can find here were the only ones available, but I recently discovered this gallery on a Polish fansite. Therein I found drawings of many beloved Deus Ex characters, such as Jerry Wildman, Nikolai Gusaron and Oscar Lemiuex!

Wait a second, who the gently caress are these people? Oh right, cut content.

Fortunately there's also Stanton Dowd, Maggie Chow and JoJo Fine.

And my personal favorite, Female JC Denton!

Think of all the nude mods we have been deprived of by the cold, calculating mind of Warren Spector, who did not have any budget left for the female voice-over. You could have just altered the pitch on the male voice files Warren, nobody would have noticed!

Edit: Classic Deus Ex character Oscar Lemiuex does not seem to be loading for me. What a shame.

Cray fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 2, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I am totally adding these. :aaa: I can't believe I never noticed them, I've browsed DX.pl before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Have you seen this page? Some of these shots could replace the ones you're missing.