Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I can vouch for the fact that the Kindle's battery is a good one. I still used my Kindle 1, which I bought when they were first released. The drat thing has been chewed on by my dog, dropped a dozen different times, and charged hundreds of times. It still will hold a charge for 2 weeks or so of 4 hours a day use (I commute a lot). As a total aside, if you travel a lot or live in a non-English speaking country the Kindle is the best thing in the world. I love mine to death.

Anyone that has used both a Kindle 1 and the latest revision, is it worth the $140 to jump up? Like I hinted at, my Kindle has seen a lot of use and has long since paid itself off with the money I save on buying ebooks. I really want to upgrade, but would like a solid "holy moley the Kindle 3 is a million times better than Beasty McBeasterson Kindle," before I dump the money to ship one all the way out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

USMC_Karl posted:

As a total aside, if you travel a lot or live in a non-English speaking country the Kindle is the best thing in the world. I love mine to death.

This is one of the best advantages that I haven't seen mentioned for me. I pay about 25% of what I had been paying for English books. No import markup and I can pay in USD, which is worth about as much as raw sewage right now. Thanks, terrible US economy!

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

The new update for the Nook (1.5) is phenomenal. Page changes are almost instantaneous now. This thing keeps getting better and better. I don't see how the buttons on the Nook feel like they're going to fall off when pressed. To me, the opposite holds true. They feel sturdy enough to withstand any amount of pressure. Count me in as one of those people who held an early version of the Kindle and thought it felt flimsy. To each his own I guess.

I should say that I have absolutely no interest in the Nook Color. I just want something that will allow me to read books comfortably. Reading on an LCD screen is anything but comfortable. Call me when the Nook has color e-ink.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Rabid Koala posted:

The new update for the Nook (1.5) is phenomenal. Page changes are almost instantaneous now. This thing keeps getting better and better. I don't see how the buttons on the Nook feel like they're going to fall off when pressed. To me, the opposite holds true. They feel sturdy enough to withstand any amount of pressure. Count me in as one of those people who held an early version of the Kindle and thought it felt flimsy. To each his own I guess.

I should say that I have absolutely no interest in the Nook Color. I just want something that will allow me to read books comfortably. Reading on an LCD screen is anything but comfortable. Call me when the Nook has color e-ink.

Are you me??

Also, I think I've found my Christmas present to me for this year (in sky blue):

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1203

I'm also considering a skin for my nook - they look so amazing in pictures. Has anyone here skinned their nook, and if so, what was your opinion? I'm leery of putting anything adhesive on it. I was checking out this site - any experiences?

http://www.skinit.com/skins/art/fine_art/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rabid Koala posted:

So agreed. Page turning is blazing fast now, and shelves are EXACTLY what I wanted. I read a lot of series of books, so it's good to be able to keep them together.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Basketofpancakes posted:

I would say by the time you might need to replace the battery on a kindle (5 years?) color e-ink will probably be cheap enough that you will want to upgrade to a better device anyway.

Pfft, I've had the kindle 2 wireless international thingy for 1 year and I'd already love to upgrade, just for the smaller form factor and better e-ink. I can't see anyone holding out 5 years even, especially as prices continue to slowly trend downwards.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I am honestly pretty surprised we haven't seen an ereader offered yet with a discount sort of like a book club.

Buy the ereader for 25$, but you agree to buy 10 books in a year off this list, or something to that effect.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I am honestly pretty surprised we haven't seen an ereader offered yet with a discount sort of like a book club.

Buy the ereader for 25$, but you agree to buy 10 books in a year off this list, or something to that effect.

Yeah, I've said all along that a phone-like contract deal would be awesome. A free book reader, $30 / £20 worth of books per month, priced at $30 / £20 a month.

On an 18 month contract that'd be £360 worth of books, with a free £110 reader (or the 3g version for £30 up front too I guess) included. If Amazon aren't making more than that 33% per book to make it worthwhile, i'm sure people would accept £15 / $22 book credit for their £20/$30, which would mean over 18 months £90 of the £110 is covered.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Damnest thing with my sony daily edition, lately its been getting a black spot, sort of like a dead pixel, but you can see under it if you look at a certain angle, as though its on the underside of the "glass" instead of the screen itself.

Played around with my parent's nook after the latest update. I'm starting to get jealous and regretting my sony :(

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

JammyLammy posted:

Damnest thing with my sony daily edition, lately its been getting a black spot, sort of like a dead pixel, but you can see under it if you look at a certain angle, as though its on the underside of the "glass" instead of the screen itself.

Played around with my parent's nook after the latest update. I'm starting to get jealous and regretting my sony :(

What changed with the latest update that would make you jealous? And what model Sony do you have?

As far as I know the new update made page changes a little faster, and made collections work better on the Nook. But your Sony would already have been as fast, and did collections already as well.

Unless you've rooted it or something, then the Nook does some interesting stuff, but the newest update didnt have anything to do with adding features to rooted ones.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I'm getting my Kindle 3G today and I'm very excited to try it out. I initially thought the 3G was only for downloading books but I'm really excited about having internet access everywhere (even if the browser is finicky).

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Sedgr posted:

What changed with the latest update that would make you jealous? And what model Sony do you have?

Technical level they both seem the same. The Nook just felted slicker, just personal taste is all. Overall I still like my e-reader, definitely in comparison to my sister's (she has a Kindle, first generation I think).

I got the Sony Daily Edition

Wish I could fix those black specks on it though, not sure what casued them to appear or what they are. And I doubt Sony will take the time to fix it. =/

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If it seems to be something defective with the screen I'd give it a shot and try to get a replacement. I dont know what their policy is, but if its anything like the Amazon one, they may be willing to take it back. Hell if you contact them and they dont want to take it I'd give them the strong idea that I was going to switch to a Kindle for their much better customer support. Could help, never know.

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Basketofpancakes posted:

I would say by the time you might need to replace the battery on a kindle (5 years?) color e-ink will probably be cheap enough that you will want to upgrade to a better device anyway.

I was given a Kindle 2 by my sister - she just bought a 3 - and the battery is shot. It's good for about 12 hours between charges, with wifi off. With wifi on it lasts about 2 hours.

Edit: I've seen battery replacement kits online for about 30 dollars, and they seem fairly easy to use. Has anyone bought one?

drquasius fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 2, 2010

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Never thought I'd own one, but I'm getting a Kindle 3 3G/Wifi for Christmas from the parents, and I'm starting to get excited about it. :) I've already bought several books to put on it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, got a 3g and wifi nook up for grabs in the SAMart :)

Mach Won
Jun 17, 2004

Is UNC playing? My post is either whining about (1) ref favoritism, (2) unfair recruiting/player caliber, (3) opposing team sucking or (4) the inevitable UNC win. The day you see me giving UNC credit for anything is the day someone hacked my account.

Roy era: 1-16 :qq: RIVALS!!!!!
Kindle should be getting here on Christmas Eve :hellyeah:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My mom told me that my Christmas present Kindle just arrived at their house yesterday so I'll be getting that Saturday. Although she did mention something weird in that even though they marked it as a gift Amazon linked it to my dad's account. So that's the first thing I'm going to have to fix when I get it.

My brother has a Sony so I'm assuming the ebooks won't be cross compatible?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
They will be with Calibre.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good to know, downloaded.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Have you ever had that feeling of "wow, I didn't know technology was this good" when using a gadget before? I had never handled an iPhone until a few months ago and was kind of blown away-- hell, almost future shocked-- and that's the same feeling I had when I first used the Kindle. I have no basis to compare it against other eReaders, but if you're getting one for Christmas, congrats, you're gonna love it!

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Good to know, downloaded.

You'll need to look up how to strip the DRM from them if you want to convert them, can't convert DRMed files.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I just got a kindle3 for myself a few days ago with the lighted leather cover and I'm pretty impressed. It's good for books, obviously, but there are so many non-obvious uses for it. Basically anything I used to find online and print out for later use now goes on my kindle. Music tab, recipes, instructions, user guides/manuals, strategy guides, etc. I also have a regularly updated text file with phone numbers and things like that in it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've been googling for a bit now on this subject, but came up empty.

Does anyone know if I can link my Chicago Tribune subscription with my Kindle? Got it today and am loving it!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You'll probably have to pay a seperate charge for Kindle's version.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

drquasius posted:

I was given a Kindle 2 by my sister - she just bought a 3 - and the battery is shot. It's good for about 12 hours between charges, with wifi off. With wifi on it lasts about 2 hours.

Edit: I've seen battery replacement kits online for about 30 dollars, and they seem fairly easy to use. Has anyone bought one?

I have this problem as well. I found that turning off the Kindle completely solves the problem. E.g. don't just hit the switch, hold it for 5 seconds until the screen turns completely off. Try that, it gets me back to the normal battery life, even if it is a bit annoying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any way to tell how much memory space you have on a Kindle?

Also, its kind of weird how they don't have any obvious way of telling if you have the 3G version or not.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Hook it up to the computer and right click > properties the drive to see the used space allocation.

Also it's extremely obvious if it has 3G, a '3G' logo is shown in the top right next to the battery life as long as you are not in a book.

I agree with the new tech sentiments. I got that feeling with the iphone too, and I was blown away by the kindle even though I knew exactly what it was.

<3 my kindle

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Is there any way to tell how much memory space you have on a Kindle?

Also, its kind of weird how they don't have any obvious way of telling if you have the 3G version or not.

It says the amount of free space at the top when you open the menu from the home screen. Also, it says whether it's 3G or not on the settings screen.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Got a Kindle 3 and a lighted cover for Christmas. I love it so far. Obviously it works great for reading, but I also was really impressed by how crisp images were on it since I'd heard it wasn't good at that. Every picture I've seen on it looks as clear as an image printed in a book, the way it's supposed to.

I've also been impressed by how well the browser works. I have a work Blackberry, and browsing on the Kindle is a hell of a lot easier than browsing on the Blackberry, which is supposedly built for it.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Got a kindle 3, 3g/wifi for xmas this year. I never knew I needed one! I just don't know what I want to read now, you know? All of these books at my fingertips,i don't know where to start. Also, can someone recommend a good case for it? I travel 40 weeks out of the year. Coming from someone who knew literally nothing about e readers.... I love this thing.

Just have to figure out what I'm going to do with it

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
This is amazing and is what is usually bundled with the kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ165W/ref=pd_cp_e_1

You should start with this book (99c) because it's awesome and timeless: http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B002RI9KL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1293610428&sr=1-1

Or you can get it here (free): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184 (not sure if that's unabridged though- which you must read.)

Enjoy.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Or you can get it here (free): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/73/the-count-of-monte-cristo might be the unabridged if the other one is abridged, though they probably both are unabridged

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

You should start with this book (99c) because it's awesome and timeless: http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B002RI9KL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1293610428&sr=1-1

Or you can get it here (free): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184 (not sure if that's unabridged though- which you must read.)

Enjoy.

With non-English books, it's better to splurge and get the version that costs actual money. When you get the free one, you're getting whatever translation they could find, which can often be of poor quality or very dated. For instance, in this case, even if you get the unabriged version of the old translation, it still cut all references to drugs and sex from the story (we're talking cutting entire scenes here).

Basically go wild on the free books in English (although most of them have horrendous formatting), but spend the money to get a decent version of translated books.

In this case the one you want is this one http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B0049U4ON6

April
Jul 3, 2006

Bruiser posted:

Got a kindle 3, 3g/wifi for xmas this year. I never knew I needed one! I just don't know what I want to read now, you know? All of these books at my fingertips,i don't know where to start. Also, can someone recommend a good case for it? I travel 40 weeks out of the year. Coming from someone who knew literally nothing about e readers.... I love this thing.

I just got my nook case from Oberon, and it's incredible. Not only is it beautiful, it feels ridiculously sturdy. They're a little pricey, but worth it if you use your ereader as much as I use mine.

And if you're looking for books, this is a good resource:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429

That's for kindle-specific content, there's also a section for free books in general on that site.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bruiser posted:

I really like the Amazon branded Kindle covers because the Kindle snaps into the case using the little slots on the left side, rather than being held by a strap. It feels very secure that way.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruiser posted:

Get the official case. It's way too drat expensive at $35 or whatever, but it uses the clasp mechanism built into the Kindle so you don't have ugly straps getting in the way.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

maxnmona posted:

With non-English books, it's better to splurge and get the version that costs actual money. When you get the free one, you're getting whatever translation they could find, which can often be of poor quality or very dated. For instance, in this case, even if you get the unabriged version of the old translation, it still cut all references to drugs and sex from the story (we're talking cutting entire scenes here).

Basically go wild on the free books in English (although most of them have horrendous formatting), but spend the money to get a decent version of translated books.

In this case the one you want is this one http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B0049U4ON6

Can you give me an example of scenes that are cut? When the count is on monte cristo with Franz they smoke hashish and Franz gets plastered. So not all drug references were cut out.

If true, you just blew my mind. I thought unabridged meant translated with no edits/cuts. Too bad that version is not available in my country. That is one thing I hate about amazon, is the copyright bullshit making a lot of books unavailable in Australia.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Can you give me an example of scenes that are cut? When the count is on monte cristo with Franz they smoke hashish and Franz gets plastered. So not all drug references were cut out.

If true, you just blew my mind. I thought unabridged meant translated with no edits/cuts. Too bad that version is not available in my country. That is one thing I hate about amazon, is the copyright bullshit making a lot of books unavailable in Australia.

I dunno, here's wikipedia:

"The most common English translation was originally published in 1846 by Chapman and Hall. Most unabridged English editions of the novel, including the Modern Library and Oxford World's Classics editions, use this translation, although Penguin Classics published a new translation by Robin Buss in 1996. Buss' translation updated the language, is more accessible to modern readers, and restored content that was modified in the 1846 translation due to Victorian English social restrictions (for example, references to Eugénie's lesbian traits and behavior) to Dumas' actual publication."

So any free or super cheap version is using the 1846 censored translation. I dunno exactly what all the cuts were, but I can tell you that the Buss translation is fantastic reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

IRQ posted:

Get the official case. It's way too drat expensive at $35 or whatever, but it uses the clasp mechanism built into the Kindle so you don't have ugly straps getting in the way.

I will warn you - some of the non-lighted covers are causing issues. It was causing my Kindle to constantly reboot itself (and lose information, such as the last place I was at in the book and my collection folders) about once an hour or so. I did some research, removed the case, and it's never self-rebooted again.

I spoke to Amazon customer support and got a refund and ordered the lighted case, which doesn't cause those issues.

• Locked thread