Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Everytime I read about Leia talking about the loss of Alderaan I pretend theres some guy in the hallway or in the back of the control room or whatever shes in just saying, "Oh god shutup about that already!"

Didn't she get called out on it during the Yuuzhan Vong War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't think many people gave two shits about Alderaan. No-one ever talks about it and the impression you get from reading anything about the planet is that they were a bunch of uptight, self-congratulating space-hipsters.

Of course, the destruction of Alderaan is frequently described as the worst thing anyone ever did ever, but Kyp Durron blowing up several solar systems is never commented on at all.

So I just read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and it was....ok, I guess? I really didn't understand why people were concerned about this Shadowspawn guy, the way the story ended was pretty lame, and I was constantly wondering how Luke knew about Cronal and the Emperor's Hands, seeing as he hasn't met Mara Jade yet. The best thing about it by far were the bits with R2 in them - I've never seen him written so well....or, come to think of it, at all. I also see that Luke is all upset and emo because he kind of killed......what, fifty thousand people in that incident? He killed like a million people when he blew up the Death Star and never blinks an eye at it. Why were these guys so different?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

So I just read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and it was....ok, I guess? I really didn't understand why people were concerned about this Shadowspawn guy, the way the story ended was pretty lame, and I was constantly wondering how Luke knew about Cronal and the Emperor's Hands, seeing as he hasn't met Mara Jade yet. The best thing about it by far were the bits with R2 in them - I've never seen him written so well....or, come to think of it, at all. I also see that Luke is all upset and emo because he kind of killed......what, fifty thousand people in that incident? He killed like a million people when he blew up the Death Star and never blinks an eye at it. Why were these guys so different?

Well you see, they were all innocent.

Nevermind the fact that Death Star demonstrates that a lot of the folks on the Death Star were, well, pretty average folks who's only "crime" was having been assigned to the place as a duty post.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are we really going to have that argument? The Death Star was a mobile vehicle of death which just destroyed an entire planet and would have been used to enslave the galaxy through fear of annihilation. I don't see what's so bad about Luke not batting a tear as he flew back to Yavin. If you want to complain about anything, it's that he didn't seem to really care that his childhood friend Biggs was dead.

And Skywalker did care about killing all those people. It was part of his "death is my gift, killing people is my neat trick" speech he gave. Luke was maturing and realizing that all his fantastic abilities which made people fawn over him so much were just ultimately used to kill people in awesome displays of power. That's why he got a little mopey over it and resigned his commission. He didn't care at the time because he was a hyper-active gun-tooting farmboy who was a gudamn hero for blowing up an evil death machine operated by an evil Empire.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 15, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
This is basically going into :godwin: territory but it goes back to the origins of the Milgram Study. That study was done specifically to see why nazi soldiers followed ordered to horrible things. The basic conclusion is that following orders doesn't make you evil or cowardly.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Luke was following orders to blow up the Death Star so I don't see what the problem is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is basically going into :godwin: territory but it goes back to the origins of the Milgram Study. That study was done specifically to see why nazi soldiers followed ordered to horrible things. The basic conclusion is that following orders doesn't make you evil or cowardly.

No it doesn't make them evil but I don't see the big deal about not having Luke shed a tear for every single person he's blown up. And it's not like Luke knew there were a bunch of nice, ordinary, non-evil dudes on the Death Star. All we saw (and Luke saw) aboard were a bunch of rear end in a top hat guards, Stormtroopers, pilots, and stuffy Admirals.

Luke acknowledged all the people he killed in the Death Star in the Mindor novel. No, he doesn't dwell on it in other novels. But he doesn't dwell on the Mindor events either so I don't see the problem. He went from being a wet-behind-the-ears farmboy in ANH to a more mature, jaded guy in Mindor who was finally coming to terms with all the people he's killed. I don't see what is so unbelievable about it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 15, 2010

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Just when you think you've seen the last of the Mandalorians... http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7914_Mandalorian_Battle_Pack

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

Just when you think you've seen the last of the Mandalorians... http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7914_Mandalorian_Battle_Pack
How many boxes of those will Karen Traviss be able to shove up her vacant pussy?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Buy 10 of those, sit on them for a couple years, make 10x what you spent on them.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ah, in all our talk of Fandalorians I forgot there were Rogue Squadron fans out there. After all these years...

Yes, this is fanart based on a real Star Wars book. And one of the better ones at that.

I assume the one that is sooooo pleased with this is supposed to be Janson?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just putting it out there but Luke liked to shoot womp rats while speeding around Beggar's Canyon for shits and giggles in his youth.

Of course later on it was made cannon that they would attack other creatures, and started going after Jawas and moisture farms, so a bounty was placed on them, and then it turned into Luke just "stun blasting" them.

quote:

Womp Rats were also very fast and stealthy. They could have had the ability to cloak themselves with the Force since Ki Adi Mundi and Aurra Sing both found out that they could barely sense them with the Force aiding them.

:haw:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AcridWhistle posted:

Just putting it out there but Luke liked to shoot womp rats while speeding around Beggar's Canyon for shits and giggles in his youth.

Which just goes back to the point that Luke is space trailer trash, complete with shootin' critters in yer backyard while joyridin'

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AcridWhistle posted:

Of course later on it was made cannon that they would attack other creatures, and started going after Jawas and moisture farms, so a bounty was placed on them, and then it turned into Luke just "stun blasting" them.

:haw:

Star wars is the gift that keeps on taking.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Ah, in all our talk of Fandalorians I forgot there were Rogue Squadron fans out there. After all these years...

Yes, this is fanart based on a real Star Wars book. And one of the better ones at that.

I assume the one that is sooooo pleased with this is supposed to be Janson?

Oh my god, this is beautiful. And yea according to another pictured posted on that blog, that's (left to right) Wedge, Janson, Hobbie, and Tycho in their Adumar women's getups.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Even when in a dress Tycho just loves bringing his fancy Imperial Academy training up with that stance.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I remember reading that book, but I don't remember it being the planet of the gothic lolita schoolgirls.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

This thread prompted me to re-read the X-Wing series recently. There are plot holes you could drive a SSD through but dang are they fun reading and I'd recommend them to anyone. More problems in life should be solved by cramming a genius level Gamorrean into a smuggling compartment with a stripped-down X-Wing laser and launching him into space with an R2 unit bolted on top.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Okay, I just saw an episode of that CGI Clone Wars series where they re-invade Geonosis?

Why the heck didn't they just keep a garrison on the planet?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I remember reading that book, but I don't remember it being the planet of the gothic lolita schoolgirls.

It was a gag. A Gilligan Cut, really.

Don't tell anyone I read TVTropes posted:

* Happens once in Starfighters of Adumar. Red Flight steals four sets of women's clothing, Hobbie asks Wedge to tell them that they're not going to wear it, Wedge says "Very well, I'm not putting us in women's clothing"...

Hobbie: "You lied to me."
Wedge: "You knew, when I said we needed four sets of women's clothing, that we were going to end up in them. You knew. So any hopes you had to the contrary were just self-delusion."
Hobbie: "I understand that. But I'd rather blame you than me."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay, I just saw an episode of that CGI Clone Wars series where they re-invade Geonosis?

Why the heck didn't they just keep a garrison on the planet?

In EU stuff released after Attack of the Clones there was a Republic garrison on Geonosis, but the CGI Clone Wars people apparently ignored that. Also consider the fact that a good deal of the show's season 2 episodes consisted of invasions of planets that apparently are the ones getting re-invaded in ROTS, and also the first episode of season 3 (the battle of Kamino) is pretty much a direct ripoff of the first issue of the original Clone Wars arc in the Republic comics where almost the exact same things happen.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I just reread Starfighters of Adumar, and it is an amazing book

"Old men, old men with big smiles"

Is the best response to shooting down someone.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I started rereading the series the other day and the first few books are really interesting with the knowledge that (spoilered for you poor saps that haven't read it) Erisi is an Imperial agent. It's really cool to consider the reasoning behind all her actions with that fact in mind. Starfighters is my favorite of the series though, if only because of Hobbie and Janson.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Wraith Squadron (the book) will always be my favourite. It's like a compressed season of a really good tv show.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 25, 2010

savory
Jul 16, 2006
whatever position we consider fit
Every time i watch Empire Strikes Back the dialogue between Luke and Yoda impresses me. I'm curious about who wrote it and where the inspiration came from. Anyone know?

Luke: There's something not right here. I feel cold.
Yoda: That place is strong with the dark side of the force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go.
Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn

Walldo posted:

Luke was following orders to blow up the Death Star so I don't see what the problem is.

Ummm, the Nuremburg trials showed definitively that following orders was no excuse from personal responsibility to the immorality of your crime.

Furthermore, Nuremburg established that retroactive legal precedent is valid in prosecuting crimes that have occured before the establishment of their status as crimes. It also clearly explains that geographical barriers provide no buffer in the scope of application of these precedents and their legal authority. This proves without a doubt that no matter how long ago or far away a galaxy, people must answer for their actions.

Furthermore, zombies are totally scientifically plausible because

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Merry Life Day everyone :3:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Out of curiosity, about 15 years ago or so I took more notice that there used to be all those swap meet things that would show up at malls with people selling just various collectibles all over the place. You'd almost ALWAYS have someone with various sort of movie memorabilia and among these items would be $20-40 copies of xeroxed and authentic 'scripts' for Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 well before they actually came out. They had titles like, "Rise of the Empire, Fall of the Republic, etc..."

Even as recently as a few years ago at one of these things I saw a table with one of these on it and little tags attached saying, "The RARE UNPRODUCED ORIGINAL SCRIPT FOR EPISODE 1" and still wanting big bucks for it.

So, I need to ask: Did anyone ever drop dime on one of these, and if so, how do these things compare to the actual films we got?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Andorian Blues posted:

I watched the Holiday Special for the first time a week or so ago. As bad as I knew it would be going in...it couldn't prepare me for the actual thing. No amount of knowledge of it can prepare someone for their first viewing of the Holiday Special.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Andorian Blues posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the Holiday Special for the first time a week or so ago. As bad as I knew it would be going in...it couldn't prepare me for the actual thing. No amount of knowledge of it can prepare someone for their first viewing of the Holiday Special.

Remember, George Lucas disowned this special. Jar Jar Binks? Fine. Christmas Special? Disowned it.

That's pretty bad.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Oh god, that's painful.

I am physically in pain from watching that.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Out of curiosity, about 15 years ago or so I took more notice that there used to be all those swap meet things that would show up at malls with people selling just various collectibles all over the place. You'd almost ALWAYS have someone with various sort of movie memorabilia and among these items would be $20-40 copies of xeroxed and authentic 'scripts' for Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 well before they actually came out. They had titles like, "Rise of the Empire, Fall of the Republic, etc..."

Even as recently as a few years ago at one of these things I saw a table with one of these on it and little tags attached saying, "The RARE UNPRODUCED ORIGINAL SCRIPT FOR EPISODE 1" and still wanting big bucks for it.

So, I need to ask: Did anyone ever drop dime on one of these, and if so, how do these things compare to the actual films we got?

Regardless of how they compared to the actual films, they were fake.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chairman Capone posted:

I still don't understand how they got all the actual actors to do that thing. Why didn't a single one of them just stop and think "wow this is loving DUMB." Lucas must have driven a truck full of money up to their house.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

You can download a lot of the genuine draft scripts from various websites. I skimmed through a copy of one of the original Star Wars IV draft scripts that was being used to teach a scriptwriting course, partly because there was so much revision of the script. They pared a lot of things back, changed a lot of characters around, and after a few revisions there was very little of the original left. It must have taken ages. It's kind of sad they didn't do that for the second trilogy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Geddy Krueger posted:

I started rereading the series the other day and the first few books are really interesting with the knowledge that (spoilered for you poor saps that haven't read it) Erisi is an Imperial agent. It's really cool to consider the reasoning behind all her actions with that fact in mind. Starfighters is my favorite of the series though, if only because of Hobbie and Janson.

Not really much of a spoiler though. I mean, it's a Stackpole-surprise, but not a surprise-surprise. Once you put together all the obvious pieces that 1) we are meant to root for Tycho's innocence because Wedge believes in him, 2) Corran and Mirax are meant to be, and 3) There is a spy somewhere in the squadron, then it all fits together rather easily.

Of course, it definitely takes something away from the whole "Hot chick is way into Mike Stackpole Corran Horn schtick if you interpret it as a spy just trying to pump him for information.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Regardless of how they compared to the actual films, they were fake.

I'm aware they're fake, but I'm sure they're sort of a strange fanfic time capsule from the fandom, too, from a time before the actual prequels came out and they didn't have any inkling what the films could have been except for the hints and ideas given in the original trilogy.

On a related note, I was looking up something on these things on the internet I found some archive of old Star Wars related rumors from the 90s.

http://prequelrumors.tripod.com/fett.html

Some of them are fun, too. Even these are a time capsule, in a similar way, to the hopes or delusions of fans prior to the release of the PT. Having lived through this era, it is a bit nostalgic to go back and remember a few of these while people were trying to pass off BS as rumors and rumors as truth. There are a few strange things that do pop up, though, that make it a bit interesting to review. Some things are completely wrong (naturally), but other things are oddly very close to what did come about.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

On a related note, I was looking up something on these things on the internet I found some archive of old Star Wars related rumors from the 90s.

http://prequelrumors.tripod.com/fett.html

Anonymous Hollywood Insider posted:

Lucas is currently the most envied filmmaker in all of Hollywood. No other filmmaker has had the luxury to prep his/her pet or personal film project for nearly 15 years (like Lucas with the Prequels). Also, not only is Lucas a billionaire and has a full head of hair, Lucas is going to be able to shoot and re-shoot the Prequel until he gets it perfect. Most directors would kill (literally) for this ability. And Lucas, more importantly, has all the time in the world to finish the Prequel. He still has 20 months to tinker and perfect every little detail of the Prequel prior to its release in May 1999. So if the Prequel isn't the best film ever made then Lucas only has himself to blame.

This one had me laughing with how prescient it was.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

DrWhom posted:

This one had me laughing with how prescient it was.

Just as good/better: 10 - 12 - 97

"If even 1 % of the internet rumors were correct, then the prequel would be a very disappointing film as compared to the ingenious story that Lucas has formed both on paper and in his head. (Source: Anonymous Lucasfilm Spokesperson)"

There is another thing on there that claims the 'rumored' names like Padme and Darth Sideous are jokes by Lucas to tease the net sites and that those names are not actually part of the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
10-3-97

Since Lucas has not directed a blockbuster in over 20 years, some studio executives in Hollywood fear that Lucas is out of touch with the current cinematic marketplace. Many fear that age, family and maturity may have "slowed" Lucas' kinetic approach to film making. Lucas is known for thrill-a-minute roller-coaster movies like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies, however; that was then this is now. Many fear that Lucas will get "bogged down" in exposition and character development in the prequel(s). The prequel may be more like The English Patient, Sling Blade or Jerry McGuire than Independence Day, Twister or the Lost World. (Source: Blazon)

Well, Blazon hit it dead on when it comes to getting bogged down.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 26, 2010