Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Etrips posted:

I apologize for asking this (as I'm sure it's been asked a million times before, but I can't find an answer), but I am looking for a present(s) for my little sister who likes to draw. I would like to get her a nice set of pencils / paper and possibly one of the recommended books, unless someone can direct me in another direction on what to get. (I have no idea what type of pencils or paper to get her)

Hold old is she and what does she like to draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Arriviste posted:

Hold old is she and what does she like to draw?

16, and anime/manga :suicide:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Etrips posted:

16, and anime/manga :suicide:
I was afraid of that. I’m useless for advice in that category, unless you’d consider getting her deprogrammed somehow. v:v:v

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but there is a series I read a while back and I have completely forgotten what it was called. All I remember is that it was written by a Russian, in Russian, and translated to English, it was set in Russia (Moscow, I think), and it was about modern magic, something like a group of people who can go into an alternate version of reality or something, and there is a mould that is only visible in the alternate reality and feeds on sadness. It was awesome.

EDIT: Who'd have thought someone would actually find a use for a wikipedia page on "Russian Science Fiction and Fantasy". The guy's name is Sergey Lukyanenko, the series starts with Night Watch, and it is way more awesome than I make it sound.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 23, 2010

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Arriviste posted:

I was afraid of that. I’m useless for advice in that category, unless you’d consider getting her deprogrammed somehow. v:v:v

That will be hard to do since she lives half way across the world. :eng99:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Etrips posted:

That will be hard to do since she lives half way across the world. :eng99:

They make manga-branded sketchbooks and stuff. It's just regular paper, but it has some girl with giant eyes on the front. That and some nice drawing pens will make her happy without you directly contributing to her terrible disease the way a "How to Draw Totally Kawaii Chibis!1!" book or something would.

Pen and pencil set
Fancier pen set
Colored brush markers
Manga paper

I mean, I'd love to recommend some nice charcoal pencils and a book on figure drawing, but a teenager probably isn't going to be receptive to it. She'll either move out of that phase or quit drawing seriously.

Or do a webcomic. :(

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Slashie posted:

They make manga-branded sketchbooks and stuff. It's just regular paper, but it has some girl with giant eyes on the front. That and some nice drawing pens will make her happy without you directly contributing to her terrible disease the way a "How to Draw Totally Kawaii Chibis!1!" book or something would.

Pen and pencil set
Fancier pen set
Colored brush markers
Manga paper

I mean, I'd love to recommend some nice charcoal pencils and a book on figure drawing, but a teenager probably isn't going to be receptive to it. She'll either move out of that phase or quit drawing seriously.

Or do a webcomic. :(

The brush markers are a good suggestion. I have some of the Faber-Castell Pitt pens and really like them for the feel of the tips. They even come in manga flavor, I just learned. They, too, have a manga starter set, but it involves “directly contributing to her terrible disease.”

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I suggest gift card as people usually have pretty specific preferences... like there's only one brand/type of charcoal I draw with and one kind of ink pen I typically use if I'm just drawing... almost anything else just sits on my shelf. but some things you almost can't go wrong with are moleskines or other nice sketchbooks with good paper in them

comedy ipad option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLP4nbAVA4

that video owns by the way

the manga poo poo is a phase... most people outgrow it once they get to college... unless they're Bei:

http://beibadgirl.com/

Beat. fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 23, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm looking to get into working with soapstone and alabaster. I'm in southern Arizona, if relevant.
Where should I be looking for basic tools for working with these? I know you can work soapstone with wood tools pretty well, but I'm having a hard time tracking down what exactly makes a good rock tool.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a (dumb?) question regarding "pixel art" in Photoshop. I'm making a Minecraft skin for a friend for Christmas and I don't understand how people do shading and things. Actually maybe shading isn't the right word. What I'm trying to achieve is instead of having the same exact color for the skin, pants, shirt, etc. I want them to have variety... Jeans aren't just one single color, but how do I achieve this? Do I have to manually pick out similar colors and apply them in all the right places or is there a filter for what I'm trying to do?

Edit- Oh hey look, an "add noise" filter. Brady you're fuckin' dumb.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 25, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a short-or-internet-video-for-dummies thread or FAQ somewhere here in CD or should I post a Tell me About thread in Ask/Tell.

Basically, I'm trying to shoot/edit very basic two-or-three-shot internet video shorts and I have very little knowledge of lighting, editing or sound recording for them. It's kind of sad that everything I learned about film making requires tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I learned a lot on film sets over the years of theory, but putting it into practice cheaply has been pretty difficult without taking classes.

I'm looking for a beginner's guide of some type or basic instructions, sure, but mostly I'm looking for recommendations on simple and cheap. Not looking to spend money here or take any classes as the money involved wouldn't really be worth it. I just want to film people being funny for short stretches of time and not have it look and sound like complete rear end.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Brady posted:

Edit- Oh hey look, an "add noise" filter. Brady you're fuckin' dumb.

When I was dabbling in making Minecraft skins for me and my buds, I found it really useful to turn each piece of the skin (head, arms, etc.) into Smart Objects after I got them looking good. That way I could apply the Add Noise filter to the consolidated Smart Object layer and non-destructively tweak it until it looked just right.

Also smooth textures look way better.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Star Man posted:

I lost my stylus for my Graphire4 while I was taking it from home to the art building on campus today. While I was searching for a replacement stylus on Google, I saw one link that said the pens shipped with the Bamboo tablets will work on a Graphire tablet. Does anyone know if this is true or not? It would sasve me $20 to get a Bamboo stylus as a replacement instead of a stylus for the Graphire4.

If that is not true, then does anyone know if the pens that came with older models of the Graphire line are compatible with each other?

Probably too late, but:

We've got both at my office and they do work interchangeably, but I'd still splash out extra on the Graphire stylus. The Bamboos are more of a straight cylinder and not as comfortable to use. It's a little thing, but as much as you'll be using the stylus you might as well get a nice one and take it easy on the lattes for a week or something.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I've got a legal question I suppose

I kind of want to make some posters/designs like 'The Trouble with Tribbles' by Olly Moss

Click here for the full 500x667 image.

and the guy who did the 'Bad Dudes' last year.

http://www.theskidshop.bigcartel.com/

But I see he's selling prints, while Olly Moss was commissioned/had rights to the license I pretty much know the guy doing 52 Bad Dudes doesn't.

Whats the legality of selling prints of art/design work based on trademarks/copyrighted work? I'm guessing its illegal...

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Would this be the correct forum to beg someone to make me a desktop wallpaper? If so, would I get buried alive for doing it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Maha posted:

Would this be the correct forum to beg someone to make me a desktop wallpaper? If so, would I get buried alive for doing it?

Creative Convention might be better, but go on; I like to do that kind of poo poo sometimes.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Very Strange Things posted:

Creative Convention might be better, but go on; I like to do that kind of poo poo sometimes.

this is Creative Convention but alright! I'd like a 1440x900 wallpaper of this, if possible.
If it's too much work, it's ok; I think somebody else in another forum is already on it.
Thanks!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Maha posted:

this is Creative Convention but alright! I'd like a 1440x900 wallpaper of this, if possible.
If it's too much work, it's ok; I think somebody else in another forum is already on it.
Thanks!

So it is, so it is. Here are a couple quick cracks at getting the "stair-step"iness out of it. Nothing I'm immensely proud of or anything.
http://jellocaust.com/kliban-go-gently caress-yourself.jpg
http://jellocaust.com/kliban-go-gently caress-yourself2.jpg

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Very Strange Things posted:

So it is, so it is. Here are a couple quick cracks at getting the "stair-step"iness out of it. Nothing I'm immensely proud of or anything.
http://jellocaust.com/kliban-go-gently caress-yourself.jpg
http://jellocaust.com/kliban-go-gently caress-yourself2.jpg

I like these, I think I'll use the second one if the other guy doesn't come through (and maybe even if he does). Thanks again!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Real quick I just used Live-Trace, so its scaleable to any size.

http://i.imgur.com/snbpq.png

I could make one without the title at the top if you want.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I wanted to post a critique on a short story that I may expand into a full novel and may want to publish one day if there's potential should I be worried about losing my 'First Rights'?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I remember in film school submitting a script to the Writer's Guild of America, I dont remember having to pay for it back then, but I suppose there's a small fee now.

Also read this about short stories and copyrights.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am not sure if this is appropriate for this thread or not, but I have not contributed very much in the past, so I did not want to start a separate thread.

I am redesigning my personal website. I am not a visual designer, but I am in a creative field, so attention to detail is important. I would appreciate it if someone with more knowledge and experience could critique my typographic decisions. For background, my website is intended to support my print resume, which I source from Microsoft Word. I do this because my time is worthless because recruiters and application systems often require such a thing. Normally I hand out a PDF, but I need a Word document often enough that I decided to constrain myself to its capabilities. As such, I can never quite be sure how it will be received, so I have tried to select fonts that very common.

With that in mind, I am using Constantia for my headings, and Lucida Sans for my body text, set to a baseline grid. I am about to dive down the rabbit hole of making sure desktop, mobile, and print all looks the same, but before I do that, I wanted to what people think of this font pairing. I know a fair amount about the technical aspects of typography, but I do not know much about the emotional side of things. To my eye, this pairing looks just fine. But I am afraid that someone who does this for a living will laugh at me for mismatching my socks. So is this OK, or can I do better?

EDIT: Attached is a screenshot of my current stylesheet in action:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

That looks nice to me.

There aren't really any hard-set rules when it comes to pairing type, but here are some interesting discussions/insights on how people do it: http://typophile.com/node/45613

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I work on and off at a company that does a lot of work for a national media institution. None of their output is originally in English and I'm responsible for making sure that there are no style or grammar issues etc. with their translated stuff. All the stuff with a non-specific target audience is done with AP style and American spelling, but recently they've had a lot of stuff that was going to the UK. Can anyone suggest a good style guide to follow for this? Really we would want to follow the BBC, but their style guide that's available is more about writing well (not so much my problem) than nitpicking (very much my problem). I've been leaning towards using the Economist's guide for this kind of thing, but I'm honestly pretty out of my depth here and would welcome any other goon suggestions.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 15, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlyingFish posted:

That looks nice to me.

There aren't really any hard-set rules when it comes to pairing type, but here are some interesting discussions/insights on how people do it: http://typophile.com/node/45613

Thank you, that's very reassuring.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't recall if I asked this already but does this subforum have a irc channel?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Been awhile since I visited CC, I'm ashamed. I just want to vent the TERRIBLE COLOR QUALITY ON MY CLASSROOM'S PROJECTOR. :argh:

We get our final versions of our projects critiqued while they're displayed on this piece of poo poo. This is not ordinary levels of color being off. It makes it look like complete and utter garbage. It badly skews dulls and wipes out color, and it looks nothing like it should. And then you're accused of your drawings having problems that don't actually exist. It's infuriating. The professor mocked me for it too. How is not upsetting for something you worked on to look like poo poo to everyone when you KNOW that's not what it looks like.

I would literally rather have to print and mat every single project than have it displayed on that projector. No printer on earth could ruin the color as badly as that projector can. UGH. :(

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Any one have any resources on where I can order specialty printer inks or screen printing pigments

florescent colors specifically

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have no idea where the hell to post this so I'm going to try here.

I'm putting together a few dvds from a couple sources of footage one of which was an HD camera of sorts (commercial one you get at best buy). Anyways, of the footage pulled from the camera I've got two video files that cover one event however one of the video files is not importing into Premiere and everything points to the file itself.

How the hell do I simply uncompress it to an AVI to minimize the loss of quality? I'm pretty sure if I just convert it I will be able to import the file.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Transcode it to an intermediary format. DNxHD is a great choice.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I wanted to post a critique on a short story that I may expand into a full novel and may want to publish one day if there's potential should I be worried about losing my 'First Rights'?
No, because by the time you get around to selling it to anyone (or placing it in a lit mag) it will be so very very different than whatever you posted. And if you're really worried about it you can edit out your post after the critiques.

Also First Print rights are an agreement between you and your publisher that you're not going to go off and give the content to someone else. They might be pissed if you've already made it available on a blog or what have you, but that doesn't mean you've LOST the ability to sell first print (or first electronic) rights.

PROTIP: If/when you submit to literary journals, don't ever put a little © notice on the bottom. The point of submitting is that you WANT the publication to pick up rights to it. Plus you look like a tool.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a goon-recommended free program for making animated gifs?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
http://omgposters.com/2010/07/09/the-cook-breaking-bad-art-print-by-tim-doyle/

How is he achieving the gradient with screen printing? Crazy tiny halftone? not fully exposed emulsion?

I'm brand new to screen printing, but want to make some sweet stuff eventually.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

RizieN posted:

http://omgposters.com/2010/07/09/the-cook-breaking-bad-art-print-by-tim-doyle/

How is he achieving the gradient with screen printing? Crazy tiny halftone? not fully exposed emulsion?

I'm brand new to screen printing, but want to make some sweet stuff eventually.

http://www.c-drew.com/methods/split-fountain.htm

Basically just put down two globs of whatever different colors you want, and after a few prints they'll for a nice little gradients where they meet. It gets muddier each time you do it though, and the results aren't super consistent from print to print so you'll find yourself washing your screen and adding ink again fairly often if you're making a lot of prints.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 23, 2011

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
Question about digital inking in Illustrator (CS4, in this case)

I've been using the brush tool with my tablet, loving the hell out of the pressure-controlled line tapers. Thing is, though, I don't have the most precise wrist when it comes to actually controlling that thing, so it's a lot of trial/error/ctrl-Z until I get a stroke that looks right.

Is there a way to change and vary the width and taper of a stroke after it's been laid down? Or, similarly, can I do it with other shapes? For example, if I draw a circle, can I make the stroke on the right half of the circle fatter, and taper into a thinner stroke on the left half?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
As far as I know (i'm using CS3 :( ) you can only edit stroke width's in CS5. However, you might try expanding a stroke (object > expand) and editing the anchor points, possibly needing to add anchor points.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Retarded 2D animation question:

I know jack about any of this and I'm learning on my own, so forgive me.

I have a little cartoon guy, and I have him running. Just a real simple animation, with only 6 unique pictures/frames.

Let's say I wanted this animation to run at 30 frames per second. Does that mean I need 30 unique graphics, one for each frame? Or would it be 5 frames of each graphic?

To put it another way, do I need to move his little legs a tiny bit each time so that I have 30 frames or can I cheat?

I hope this makes sense.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This seemed like good a place as any to put it: For those anywhere near NW Ohio, the Toledo Museum of Art has "Rembrandt Laughing" on loan and it's really worth a view. The rest of the museum has undergone some nice upgrades lately and the Glass Pavilion is neat as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Substar posted:

Retarded 2D animation question:

I know jack about any of this and I'm learning on my own, so forgive me.

I have a little cartoon guy, and I have him running. Just a real simple animation, with only 6 unique pictures/frames.

Let's say I wanted this animation to run at 30 frames per second. Does that mean I need 30 unique graphics, one for each frame? Or would it be 5 frames of each graphic?

To put it another way, do I need to move his little legs a tiny bit each time so that I have 30 frames or can I cheat?

I hope this makes sense.

You want it to run at 24 frames per second, and as long as you're not doing something special with the timing (slo-mo, etc.), you can do fine with just drawing 12 of those frames. Each drawing will be shown twice before moving on to the next drawing, basically.

Also this is called a "walk cycle," if you want to google up some tutorials.