Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Elijya posted:

Things like this are completely arbitrary and just come down to fashion and clothing tradition, which changes constantly. I have a jacket where the zipper is located on the opposite side from most which really threw me off when I bought it, but the tailor informed me it was "European style" or some such. No one will ever notice which way you buckle your belt, unless maybe the buckle is distinctive and clearly has a right way up.

Sorry dude but you wearin a women's jacket. If you're wearing men's pants, then you should start your belt on your left side so that when you've got it through all your belt loops, the buckle is on the left and the loose end is on the right. I would imagine it is the opposite for women's clothing, but I really don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
It's often suggested that women's clothes are the opposite because they tended to be dressed by servants, whereas men dressed themselves.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

haveblue posted:

Traditional slang for a mainframe computer.

You just reminded me of the horrendously awful film Westworld.

But thanks for the answer, Elijya!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally one of my cats will drink water by dipping his paw in it then licking it. Is there some reason he does this at those times rather than the usual lapping?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry dude but you wearin a women's jacket.
I thought someone might point this out, and should probably have added: it was bought at a men's clothing store. There's nothing that makes a zipper on one side a men's jacket and a zipper on the other side a woman's jacket other than arbitrary convention.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I vaguely remember seeing a TV commercial for a smartphone (or app) that boggled my mind. The selling point was that you could use the phone's camera to take a picture of a check and have it automatically deposit in your associated bank account. I only saw the commercial once so that's all the detail I have (I don't have regular tv service) but.

How is that legal, possible to do, and not a huge opening for fraud? Couldn't you take a picture of someone else's check and steal it? Or fake checks much more easily without the human input to verify them? Or whatever machines banks use to do so.

It seemed like a terrible idea and just recently came to mind.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry dude but you wearin a women's jacket. If you're wearing men's pants, then you should start your belt on your left side so that when you've got it through all your belt loops, the buckle is on the left and the loose end is on the right. I would imagine it is the opposite for women's clothing, but I really don't know.

No, his tailor is right. Everything buttons/zips on the left side of men's European-made clothes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nighthand posted:

I vaguely remember seeing a TV commercial for a smartphone (or app) that boggled my mind. The selling point was that you could use the phone's camera to take a picture of a check and have it automatically deposit in your associated bank account. I only saw the commercial once so that's all the detail I have (I don't have regular tv service) but.

How is that legal, possible to do, and not a huge opening for fraud? Couldn't you take a picture of someone else's check and steal it? Or fake checks much more easily without the human input to verify them? Or whatever machines banks use to do so.

It seemed like a terrible idea and just recently came to mind.

A few major banks offer this now, like BofA and Chase.

It's the same method most modern ATMs work anyways. They simply read the Account and Routing numbers, then OCR the Name and Dollar amount on the check. The deposit is pending until the image is verified by a bank employee I'm assuming, just like an ATM deposit.

When you think of it, there's not difference from the ATM reading your check or your phone doing it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

A drat FOG posted:

One of the tuning pegs on my guitar is loose/broken and will only tune down, not up. As an intermediate player with little to no guitar repair knowledge, is this something I can trust myself to fix with some online tutorial or should I just take it to a shop?

It is very easy and straightforward to change tuning pegs. Go for it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Our old plasma tv makes a quiet back-and-forth scraping sound when it is on. What's wrong?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm looking for a music video. It featured a guy in what looks to be a super cheesy devil costume, beard, and glasses. Genre was metal, and maybe some apocolyptica-style classical instruments. Ring a bell for anybody?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I have faint memory of a quote that reads to the effect of the following:
"Before pursuing me further, I give you fair warning; I am not a seem but wholly different."

I'm trying to find the source, though to no avail as of yet. The closest I've found is
"To begin with take warning, I am surely far different from what you suppose;"
from Are You The New Person Drawn Toward Me? by Walt Whitman.

It's a similar meaning, though I know mine was wordier, closer to my original quote.

Can anyone provide any leads?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I just got a new iPod for Christmas that requires iTunes 9.0 or higher. I haven't updated iTunes since probably.. 2008 or so, because the last time I updated it, I lost every single one of my songs. I want to use this new iPod but how can I be sure I'm not going to lose all of my songs when I update iTunes?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

silversiren posted:

I just got a new iPod for Christmas that requires iTunes 9.0 or higher. I haven't updated iTunes since probably.. 2008 or so, because the last time I updated it, I lost every single one of my songs. I want to use this new iPod but how can I be sure I'm not going to lose all of my songs when I update iTunes?

As a very unhappy iTunes user who would love to never update iTunes, you can't.

But usually iTunes does not actually delete songs, it just cannot figure out where the hell they are.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

kapalama posted:

As a very unhappy iTunes user who would love to never update iTunes, you can't.

But usually iTunes does not actually delete songs, it just cannot figure out where the hell they are.

Ahh, drat. Not the answer I was looking for. I tried to find an answer on the iTunes website but it's not really that helpful because they want me to schedule a call and I don't have time to do that.
Thanks though, I'm sure I'll figure something out. Unless there's another way around it? My dad suggested to find all my iTunes songs and move them to a different folder so I could find them later on, but I'm not even sure if that would work.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

silversiren posted:

Ahh, drat. Not the answer I was looking for. I tried to find an answer on the iTunes website but it's not really that helpful because they want me to schedule a call and I don't have time to do that.
Thanks though, I'm sure I'll figure something out. Unless there's another way around it? My dad suggested to find all my iTunes songs and move them to a different folder so I could find them later on, but I'm not even sure if that would work.

He's right. You should move all your itunes music to some temporary folder, and then after you install new iTunes, put the music back in.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

silversiren posted:

In the preferences menu, there's an option for iTunes to keep your songs organized and another option that shows the path to the iTunes music folder. If I remember correctly, the default is Users (Or Documents and Settings)/YourUserName/iTunes Music. Within that folder will be a shitload of individual folders, one for each of the artists. Copy all of those folders, paste them to a backup location, and go to town.

If you don't have that option checked, you can do so and iTunes will automatically move everything to that folder structure, which can then be easily backed up. That's useful if your files are scattered to the four corners of your hard drive, as opposed to you preferring them in a folder labeled MP3 or whatever. Bonus: assuming you do encounter a catastrophic loss, you can just click file->Add Folder, point it at the iTunes Music Folder, and walk away for a while while it adds/adjusts audio settings for each song.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
iTunes won't actually delete your music. It would just delete the "link" from iTunes to where your music is stored on your hard drive. If you're going to take the route of "backing it up", make sure you delete one of the versions after the update so you don't have two music libraries taking up space on your hard drive.

e: Now that I think about it, I absolutely don't trust iTunes and wouldn't put it past that program to delete someone's music completely. Back up your music as mentioned. And then uninstall iTunes after you're finished.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

silversiren posted:

I updated iTunes yesterday on 2 computers and absolutely nothing was changed. I don't know why people are crying that everything will break?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I updated iTunes yesterday on 2 computers and absolutely nothing was changed. I don't know why people are crying that everything will break?

It's happened to myself, my dad, and a few friends of mine when updating iTunes. The experience is what has me worried.

I'll just backup all the stuff that I don't have on CDs. Thanks guys.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

After working at Apple for a couple of years I can definitely see his concern. Updating iTunes does some weird stuff sometimes (or updating any Apple software for that matter) but you would be OK if you just backed up your music...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is this a Windows-only phenomenon? I've never had any troubles with iTunes on Mac except for weird ID3 behavior, and that occurs rarely.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is this a Windows-only phenomenon? I've never had any troubles with iTunes on Mac except for weird ID3 behavior, and that occurs rarely.

iTunes (like a lot of Apple stuff (iPhoto, etc)) keeps all of its info in a weird proprietary database. When nothing happens to it, it is wonderful and you do not have to think about it. When something happens to it, it is an ungodly pain in the rear end.

Why does iTunes copy all of the artwork from the music files into its proprietary database? My artwork folder is 5 gb. And yet all of the files have internal artwork.

Why does my library end up with three copies of all 50000 songs? Because iTunes can be stupid, and ends up with multiple links to the same drat files. Or worse puts those arrows next to all the files saying it cannot find them. Of course, if you click on each individual file it can play them. But you have to click on each of the 50,000 song files to get itunes to recognize that, yes, the file exists.

On top of that, the iTunes interface is a steaming pile of poo, that lags and beachballs any time it scrolls. Yes I am on a Mac. Yes iTunes is crap.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I am desperately trying to fix my laptop's wifi. Is there a thread where I can ask how to fix it, or should I just ask here?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Slim Killington posted:

No, his tailor is right. Everything buttons/zips on the left side of men's European-made clothes.

And in the southern hemisphere, everything zips from top to bottom :O

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am desperately trying to fix my laptop's wifi. Is there a thread where I can ask how to fix it, or should I just ask here?

Try the Haus Of Tech Support.

As for iTunes deleting all of your music, I always make sure the "Keep iTunes media folder organized" option is not selected, and I've never had it delete actual music before. It's broken it's database and I've had to rebuild the library before, but that's it. Of course, I don't buy music from itunes (Amazon for me!) so that might have a bit to do with it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 25, 2010

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
If you don't like iTunes, don't use it. Winamp handles iPods just fine, and there are countless other free alternatives.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Loopyface posted:

If you don't like iTunes, don't use it. Winamp handles iPods just fine, and there are countless other free alternatives.

Not on Macs unfortunately.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
EDIT: Nm

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there a better format than Blu-Ray on the horizon? I can't really imagine the quality getting better than what it is now but I'm pretty clueless on the matter and suspect movie studios are working on some new format just for further business.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is there a better format than Blu-Ray on the horizon? I can't really imagine the quality getting better than what it is now but I'm pretty clueless on the matter and suspect movie studios are working on some new format just for further business.

Nothing that looks like it will be sent to the mass market as the next big thing. Not only is video quality on consumer displays just about topped out, but it looks like the real next big thing is going to be built around online delivery.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

haveblue posted:

Nothing that looks like it will be sent to the mass market as the next big thing. Not only is video quality on consumer displays just about topped out, but it looks like the real next big thing is going to be built around online delivery.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but don't we already have Blu-Rays delivered and streamed via NetFlix and kin?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
The next big thing seems to be 3D tvs, but it's hard to say yet whether that will just be a fad. My guess is that it will be completely overhauled before it becomes widespread, and that'll take 5 years.

I would take an educated guess that the next generation of video game systems will lead the way for what home entertainment will be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

After 1080p, we're looking at 4k TVs.

No word on distribution method though, although since some Blu-ray discs can do up to 200gb of data now so it's possible to distribute 4k content on them.

In the long term, digital distribution is definitely the way to go. Whether the studios want to go along with the plan is another question.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm about to be in a rental Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra (*or comparable) for the next couple days according to the enterprise website. What are my chances of having a usb or aux-in in a newish car like this?

edit: if the answer is yes I'll be groovin to some opivy (you're too young) while I'm hittin on 4.

edit again: got a honda civic has the aux in and besides the fact that I cant move the seat back like 1" more (I'm only 5'11, come on guys) this small car hater is pretty drat impressed compared to the last late 90s civic and other little cars I've been in.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 26, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Abel Wingnut posted:

It took 11 years (1995 to 2006) to get from DVD to Blu-Ray. I wouldn't expect another optical disc format until say 2017, if ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BorderPatrol posted:

After 1080p, we're looking at 4k TVs.

No word on distribution method though, although since some Blu-ray discs can do up to 200gb of data now so it's possible to distribute 4k content on them.

In the long term, digital distribution is definitely the way to go. Whether the studios want to go along with the plan is another question.

If those TVs are brought to market, they will probably end up like DVD-Audio- technically superior, but never more than a small niche. The increase in quality will be minor enough and hard enough to perceive that only hardcore videophiles will own them.

When MP3s succeeded CDs they actually represented a step backwards in quality, but they more than made up for it in the types of usage and convenience they allowed. Video will probably follow the same path.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but don't we already have Blu-Rays delivered and streamed via NetFlix and kin?

Not even close. Blu-Ray's maximum bitrate is 48Mbps (with 1080p as the highest resolution), while HD Netflix encodes are at most 3.8Mbps (with 720p as the highest resolution). This is why fast action scenes in a netflix streaming video are grainy and blurry, while a Blu-Ray has much higher fidelity in the same scenario.

Other differences: Blu-ray supports uncompressed, higher frequency sampling (better quality) audio than Netflix, and higher frame-rate (60 frames per second vs. 30). In short, Netflix can't come anywhere close to Blu-Ray in terms of quality, but that's not really it's goal anyway. Wanna watch something right now, or on a TV/sound system where it doesn't matter? Get it on Netflix streaming. Wanna watch something at the best quality currently available and see/hear the awesome details you dropped serious coin for? Get it on Blu-Ray.

Note that the only thing really keeping Blu-Ray on top is the fact that very few people have the bandwidth necessary to get those super-high quality streams instantly - you'd be stuck with a Real Player-esque "buffering" message or you'd wait 30 minutes before the movie started. Give it 5 to 7 years and you should see Blu-Ray quality on home players (I hope). I highly doubt that there will ever be a physical media that follows after Blu-Ray; by that point, I think it will all be streaming.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Wagonburner posted:

I'm about to be in a rental Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra (*or comparable) for the next couple days according to the enterprise website. What are my chances of having a usb or aux-in in a newish car like this?

edit: if the answer is yes I'll be groovin to some opivy (you're too young) while I'm hittin on 4.

The last couple of rental cars I've had have had aux jacks, so I'd say your chances are pretty good. One was a sedan and one was a van. YMMV

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

SIHappiness posted:

Not even close. Blu-Ray's maximum bitrate is 48Mbps (with 1080p as the highest resolution), while HD Netflix encodes are at most 3.8Mbps (with 720p as the highest resolution). This is why fast action scenes in a netflix streaming video are grainy and blurry, while a Blu-Ray has much higher fidelity in the same scenario.

Other differences: Blu-ray supports uncompressed, higher frequency sampling (better quality) audio than Netflix, and higher frame-rate (60 frames per second vs. 30). In short, Netflix can't come anywhere close to Blu-Ray in terms of quality, but that's not really it's goal anyway. Wanna watch something right now, or on a TV/sound system where it doesn't matter? Get it on Netflix streaming. Wanna watch something at the best quality currently available and see/hear the awesome details you dropped serious coin for? Get it on Blu-Ray.

Note that the only thing really keeping Blu-Ray on top is the fact that very few people have the bandwidth necessary to get those super-high quality streams instantly - you'd be stuck with a Real Player-esque "buffering" message or you'd wait 30 minutes before the movie started. Give it 5 to 7 years and you should see Blu-Ray quality on home players (I hope). I highly doubt that there will ever be a physical media that follows after Blu-Ray; by that point, I think it will all be streaming.

Blu-Ray does intentionally use a somewhat older, less space-efficient, and less processor intensive codec for content. This was done to make it easier to make cheap blu-ray players in the beginning. You can actually get full Blu-Ray quality 1080p streaming in 10 to 12 Mbps, so full Blu-Ray quality streaming isn't as far off as it may appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
I am going to a 21st birthday party over a 3 day weekend, plan was black tie / white tie every day but the host has now declared that one day will be an 'Tim Burton themed costume party'. None of my friends like Tim Burton, it is bizarre and arbitrary.

What the hell do I wear? I am a blond man so that rules out most of his emo characters. I still need to look smart so nothing ridiculous. Budget is not a problem, but I do already have 3 metres of electroluminescent wire I'd like to use somehow. I am taking a flight to get there with no checked luggage, so nothing that won't go through security.

50 people going so there will be a lot of Ed Woods and Jack Skeletons, I need to get a little more creative.

Edit: Is there somewhere more appropriate to post this?

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 26, 2010