Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Saga posted:

No idea with the newer motors.

On the M42, I have read that poo poo starts to wear out (sprockets, potential guide rail failure - see posts above for an example! - chain) from 100k. Specifically I believe it's actually wear to sprockets and rollers rather than chains spontaneously failing on their own.

I'm probably going to end up just driving mine until it dies. Used M42s, some of them even with under 100k, are about half the price of paying someone to do the swap, even excluding the cost of new sprockets, rollers and guides. I'd do it myself on a bench, but I don't have the equipment, time or patience to try it in situ. Plus I would just drop the car on myself somehow and die horribly.
I feel the M42 wears due to poor design / poor maintenance. My gf's ~195k motor bent 8 valves due to worn cam/crank sprockets. The replacement M42 had a worn crank sprocket, mint cam sprockets, and shot guides. It was from a 91 with 140k on it. I would HIGHLY recommend M5X swapping, or repairing your existing M42, before buying another one. I'm now into the 2nd M42 for a bit over a grand PLUS the purchase price of the motor - Repair of the original motor (chain system complete + head work) should have been right around $900. This is, of course, using wholesale costing and no labor (except at the machine shop.)

Saga posted:

Yeah, but how do you snap 2/3rds of the valve cover bolts before you figure out that maybe you should (i) not reuse the bolts and (ii) use a lower torque setting? Or even just, use a torque setting. :(
I've done ... 50+ valve covers easily, with zero snapped/stripped studs. Come on people. 10NM != a lot of torque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Where can one find the cigarette lighter bit that goes in the cigarette lighter plug? Some dickhead friend of mine lost mine and there is a little light shining out of there that makes my OCD mad.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

evobatman posted:

Crossposting this, the BMW Multi-Purpose Vehicle:

I like how it also appears that he is currently spinning his rears in the photo.

Fun BMW winter story: Yesterday I pulled out of a car wash and stopped for a second outside to check that none of my superior german door trims had fallen off. Got back in the car, put it in first, let out the clutch, and the RPMs just went sky high without me going anywhere.

For some reason my first instinct was that my clutch was toast, so I let it out gently and again no action from the tires. With the engine at about 4000 rpms in first and my brain trying to figure out how my clutch had packed up completely in just a few short seconds the tires finally caught on dry pavement and I did a big screeching burnout up the ramp and out of the carwash.

Stopped the car, watched a cloud of tire smoke pass me, and looked back at where I had been to see a giant, perfectly smooth slab of black ice.

:eng99:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I wish it would snow for more than a day so I could see how drivable my 328 is with a broken TCS/ABS system. It's very easy to get it to break loose on dry pavement if I push it a little, I'm curious to see how it handles deep slush.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

wwb posted:

Where can one find the cigarette lighter bit that goes in the cigarette lighter plug? Some dickhead friend of mine lost mine and there is a little light shining out of there that makes my OCD mad.

Have you checked bav auto? They have a large selection, prices are a bit high but they haven't let me down yet, good service.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Immediately when I start my e30 I hear a deep sort of groaning coming from the front somewhere. I'm assuming its a pump of some kind but it goes away after about 5 seconds and never returns until I need to start it up again. Any ideas what this could be or anything to test?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

tesko.pk posted:

Have you checked bav auto? They have a large selection, prices are a bit high but they haven't let me down yet, good service.

Good call, got it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

I feel the M42 wears due to poor design / poor maintenance. My gf's ~195k motor bent 8 valves due to worn cam/crank sprockets. The replacement M42 had a worn crank sprocket, mint cam sprockets, and shot guides. It was from a 91 with 140k on it. I would HIGHLY recommend M5X swapping, or repairing your existing M42, before buying another one. I'm now into the 2nd M42 for a bit over a grand PLUS the purchase price of the motor - Repair of the original motor (chain system complete + head work) should have been right around $900. This is, of course, using wholesale costing and no labor (except at the machine shop.)
I've done ... 50+ valve covers easily, with zero snapped/stripped studs. Come on people. 10NM != a lot of torque.

My initial reasoning was that it would be easier to buy a second engine for the UK equivalent of about $350 while the existing one is still good. That way I could do the work on the bench in my own time, swap the motors, and sell the original one as a runner.

The problem with that is I have so little time for this stuff these days I've been thinking I should just wait until the current motor actually does go. Which as you pointed out is probably not the best approach.

I like this e30 and it has some nice bits on it, but it's not in the best condition. I suspect if and when it blows I may just sell the chassis on and buy a good 325i touring. There's too much to replace with the M50 swap, and insurance over here is crazy for anything with a big engine/modifications. The 325i is actually cheap to insure compared to a E46 325i/330i touring.

And yeah, I don't understand how the valve cover thing could happen. If you don't notice you're snapping the heads off the valve cover bolts, why the hell are you removing it in the first place? It's like the George W. Bush school of open heart surgery and international statesmanship was let loose on my engine.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Here's my Christmas present to AI:

Why hello there

:flashfap:

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Here's my Christmas present to AI:

Why hello there

:flashfap:

IFC parking lot right? Rich people buy parking spots in these public garages because they only get one or two spots at their apartment. I posted that exact car a couple months ago. It's pretty striking though right? You don't even notice the other cars around it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Wow, that looks amazing.

What's with the asian characters on the floor, though?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pilsner posted:

Wow, that looks amazing.

What's with the asian characters on the floor, though?

It's in Hong Kong.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Which of course makes me wish I could buy this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/2128296785.html

1985 Euro-spec M6, 61k miles, 2 owners, loving flawless condition

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I would do terrible, unmentionable, horrible things for that M6. Mother of god.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one else have a good suggestion on finding another E30. I have combed craigslist, the local papers, etc. I am having a hard time finding another e30 to fill the hole in my heart from my last one. I really would like to find another cheap example, one in need of some moderate work, because I will be tearing it apart anyways.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one else have a good suggestion on finding another E30. I have combed craigslist, the local papers, etc. I am having a hard time finding another e30 to fill the hole in my heart from my last one. I really would like to find another cheap example, one in need of some moderate work, because I will be tearing it apart anyways.

Just keep looking, something will pop up eventually. I was checking one of those multiple region craigslist searches every day for 3 weeks before I found my replacement E30.

crazedlist.org I believe is the site, but I did end up eventually buying a car that was posted on autotrader.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Keep scrounging, talk to every car person you know, and keep looking. I have less than $3,000 including purchase price, E36 rack installed, and an LSD in my '91 318i that is really clean and has a shitload of maintenance records.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I looked on craigslist for shits and giggles a couple days ago and found a bunch. You just have to keep looking, they will show up.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
And when you do find one its gonna be abused and priced at 3 times its value. Go e28!!!!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I just bought a 2002 530i a couple of weeks ago, and what do I unwrap on Christmas morning but a set of E39 Bentley manuals. I also ordered a TCC solenoid, transmission pan kit and some interior trim from Pelican Parts, and the parts came with a tin of jelly beans!

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Are there any cleaning agents I should avoid in cleaning the interior, specifically the door panels, of my 3 series? The tan is a lovely shade of black on the handle.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EvilMoFo posted:

Are there any cleaning agents I should avoid in cleaning the interior, specifically the door panels, of my 3 series? The tan is a lovely shade of black on the handle.

I'd highly recommend some Oxyclean or dishsoap, a toothbrush and a microfiber towel. That should break up 99% of the funk.

Alternately you can try a Magic Eraser but since they're mildy abrasive you'll want to go gently (you don't want to scrub one spot with it very hard, which it sounds like you'll need).

You need to avoid using anything that feels harsh on your skin.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

I looked on craigslist for shits and giggles a couple days ago and found a bunch. You just have to keep looking, they will show up.

Where are you looking, I am stuck in Midwest Iowa. Just lots of over priced Camaro's and rusted out fox bodies. Though the E36 with a 5.0 is incredibly AI.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

The Midwest isn't THAT bad for finding E30s... patience is the key.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where are you looking, I am stuck in Midwest Iowa. Just lots of over priced Camaro's and rusted out fox bodies. Though the E36 with a 5.0 is incredibly AI.

I live near Houston. There weren't too many, but some.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I'm looking for something to replace my 4Runner - trying to decide between a Legacy GT or a 325xi. The 325xi is an '03, 5 speed, sport/premium/cold weather package. It's got 104,000 miles. The dealership doesn't know a lot about the history on the car.

I've been doing my own research, and I've seen some stuff about subframe cracking in the rear of the car, but this is apparently for the older E46s? It basically looks like the things that should be checked/refreshed are:

Water pump
Fluids
Suspension
VANOS work (possibly?)

Last thing - how have you guys with AWD E46s liked them in the snow? Unless I'm confused, this is the older system before they changed the system and renamed it xDrive.

I've spent a fair amount of time poking around with my E23 and it's quirks, but I don't know a lot about the newer BMWs, so any input would be great. I'm going to try and get a PPI at a BMW dealership not far from the one selling the car.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I've been doing my own research, and I've seen some stuff about subframe cracking in the rear of the car, but this is apparently for the older E46s? It basically looks like the things that should be checked/refreshed are:

Water pump
Fluids
Suspension
VANOS work (possibly?)

I just bought a 2001 330Ci and had a lot of the same kinds of questions.

My automotive mechanical knowledge is poo poo at this point, so I really felt I needed to do a lot of research before purchasing.

Here's what helped me:

I joined e46fanatics, bimmerfest and bimmerforums and read up on the vehicle there. They're miles behind this forum, but good information can be had and their Search features actually work! Probably the best resource I found was the BMW E46 Wiki. There's a lot to go through there, but it's all good information. Based on that I would look at and listen to the windows.

Do they open up smoothly?
Do they close down smoothly?

Same with the moonroof.

Guy down the street from me has a Xi. From what little I know about it, if you're doing any kind of actually challenging winter driving, the tires will have a lot of effect too. I think you're right, though and the Xi system is the predecessor of xDrive.

My mileage is 104,XXX too. How much are they asking for the BMW?

Also, I think the subframe issues come up more in the 99-01 models, if yours is a 2003.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
They have $9,995 sticker on the car, I've already told myself that I'm going to walk away unless I can get it for around $8000-8500. It's been sitting a while. What did you pay for your 330 if you don't mind me asking?

I forgot to mention the window regulators, I saw that as well. Definitely going to check them. And you're right about the tires too. I'm not expecting it to be a champ in the snow on bald summer tires just because it has AWD or something. From what I'm seeing, the older mechanical system is just a straight 38-62 front-rear torque split. Just wondering how it does, I've driven cars with the older gen quattro systems that were a 50-50 and they did really well even on all seasons, so I'm hoping this system with some good snow tires should treat me well in the winter.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Last thing - how have you guys with AWD E46s liked them in the snow? Unless I'm confused, this is the older system before they changed the system and renamed it xDrive.

The e46 system is a permanent 38/62 split from front/rear with DSC used to control wheelspin, no limited slip diffs. Not as elegant as the old e30 system, but a lot simpler mechanically.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

They have $9,995 sticker on the car, I've already told myself that I'm going to walk away unless I can get it for around $8000-8500. It's been sitting a while. What did you pay for your 330 if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all.

I paid $8650 + '98 Sunfire with 96,XXX trade in for mine. Sticker was $10,900.

I've wanted a BMW all my life, so I was chomping at the bit. May have overpaid a bit, but the dealership offered $2500 for the Sunfire and I'm not sure I was going to get that anywhere else, since it was a beater.

That and the car is in ridiculously good shape and the guy who owned it before me put a lot of love into it.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Thanks guys. The E46 wiki link is definitely helpful. Gonna call a local dealer tomorrow and see what kind of service history I can get, then check it out after work.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
The car is a 1999 E46 328I 5-speed with 163,000miles. I've had a slow coolant leak for a while now, something I've ignored while fixing more urgent matters. Slow as in the coolant light would come on, I'd fill it up and I wouldn't hear from it for another 3 weeks to a month. The temperature of the car stayed rock solid in the middle for the whole time. So a minor issue to deal with later. However, it appears as though the leak has sped up, and now requires dealing with. I'm trying to pinpoint the leak, rather than replace the whole cooling system (something I'd love to do, but it's a bad time financially).

It appears to be leaking from the red circle currently, and then running down the side of the radiator and the expansion tank. The hose still flexes quite well and doesn't feel old, but I'm not 100% sure what's going on in the area. What is this most likely a sign of? The expansion tank was replaced at 120,000 miles, everything else is older than that. Thanks for any help.

PS. buy the e46. I love mine :) Pick one that has good service history and it'll treat you quite well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's your upper radiator hose.

The bad news is at that mileage you need to replace: upper/lower radiator hoses, radiator, thermostat/housing, water pump and belts. It may only be one item leaking but it's now time to replace everything, as they are all wear items. The good news is that you can do it all in 3-6 hours on a weekend with basic hand tools. The most complicated tool you need is a set of hex bits for your ratchet.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah I'm not worried about the actual wrenching involved, just I'm a bit short on cash currently as I just did control arms/bushings and my roommate just left without paying rent. I'm wondering what's most likely the cause of the leak so I can fix it with the least amount of financial investment for now. Don't worry, I'm fully planning on replacing the whole system in a month or so when the finances even out.

E: gently caress it. Everything but the expansion tank will be new. This is gonna hurt...

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 30, 2010

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

predictive posted:

re: Wrong trans from post your ride thread

Hmmm... Sorry about that man. I was going by this.

but it looks like them and many other suppliers have it listed wrong. It seems like the 5L40E is only in the 528i and 530d, but since the e39 d wasn't in the states, but the i was, it's mixed up everywhere. Interestingly enough, that same catalog doesn't list ZF5HP19 at all for any BMWs regardless of year, so I don't know what the heck is up with that.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Deceptor101 posted:

Yeah I'm not worried about the actual wrenching involved, just I'm a bit short on cash currently as I just did control arms/bushings and my roommate just left without paying rent. I'm wondering what's most likely the cause of the leak so I can fix it with the least amount of financial investment for now. Don't worry, I'm fully planning on replacing the whole system in a month or so when the finances even out.

E: gently caress it. Everything but the expansion tank will be new. This is gonna hurt...

Replace the expansion tank too, or else. They are known to crack on the seam and blow the whole cooling system wide open. Also it is the most likely source of your leaks.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Okay, I got some service history. The car was a previous BMW CPO, expired in 2008. They said they couldn't see a lot - last time the car was in was 2007 at 63k miles. The PO complained about the clutch slipping, they did a little work on it, it wasn't fully replaced or anything. It was taken in for service after they did a recall on the coils. He also saw Inspection I service. This appears to be it.

The important part: I asked about the cooling system, as far as they can see it hasn't been touched for the life of the car (104k miles). I'm guessing this is bad news, and if I bought the car this should be refreshed immediately. What kind of costs are we looking at for that? Can an idiot with some slight mechanical skills and a few tools (me) take care of this?

I'm not really sure what to make of the history on the car, any input would be great.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Okay, I got some service history. The car was a previous BMW CPO, expired in 2008. They said they couldn't see a lot - last time the car was in was 2007 at 63k miles. The PO complained about the clutch slipping, they did a little work on it, it wasn't fully replaced or anything. It was taken in for service after they did a recall on the coils. He also saw Inspection I service. This appears to be it.

The important part: I asked about the cooling system, as far as they can see it hasn't been touched for the life of the car (104k miles). I'm guessing this is bad news, and if I bought the car this should be refreshed immediately. What kind of costs are we looking at for that? Can an idiot with some slight mechanical skills and a few tools (me) take care of this?

I'm not really sure what to make of the history on the car, any input would be great.

Same advice I gave to deceptor. You can get a kit with everything for $400 or so. The work is easy. The hardest part is removing the water pump--you need to screw the bolts from the thermostat housing into the empty holes on the water pump housing to back it out of the engine.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Taco Box posted:

Replace the expansion tank too, or else. They are known to crack on the seam and blow the whole cooling system wide open. Also it is the most likely source of your leaks.

Yeah it did that already, so it's a lot newer than everything. I looked at it carefully and it's clearly not the source of the leak. Everything but the expansion tank was $381 shipped from pelican. Thanks for the point about the water pump. I'd read in the bentley and some only DIY guides about needing the bolts to remove the water pump, but nobody ever said where you got the bolts from :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Finally replaced the stupid hack job exhaust on my E34 525i. Previous owner had welded on some sort of tiny rice-tastic single pipe muffler, so after the centre muffler my beautiful dual pipe system was being joined into a tiny little single pipe to the noise maker. The result was my car sounding like an unmuffled lawnmower and a really strange torque curve.

Found the wrong muffler for my car (from a 535i) for $30 and had a local exhaust shop make it work. Turns out it was exactly the right muffler because the car sounds loving awesome. It retained the burbling when I lift off the throttle and rumbling at low rpms I liked but lost all the drone and tractor sounds at higher rpms. Its heaven to my ears.

The engine feels better and the torque is more linear now. Not sure if I've improved overall power at all but it feels like there is more torque available lower down and it doesn't fall flat on its face higher up. VANOS starts working at around 3-3.5k and is like woah woah woah instead of just a lot of noise before I shift.