Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is interesting. Looks like MPI Home Video is releasing Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection on March 29

As far as I can tell, it is the same thing as this boxset they already released on DVD.

quote:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection stars Basil Rathbone as the legendary Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as the venerable Dr. John H. Watson.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection is comprised of all 14 classic films on 5 discs:

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
SHERLOCKHOLMES AND THE VOICE OF TERROR
SHERLOCK HOMLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON
SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE SPIDER WOMAN
SHERLOCK HOLMES THE SCARLET CLAW
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN PEARL OF DEATH
SHERLOCK HOLMES HOUSE OF FEAR
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE WOMAN IN GREEN
SHERLOCK HOLMES PURSUIT TO ALGIERS
SHERLOCK HOLMES TERROR BY NIGHT
SHERLOCK HOLMES DRESSED TO KILL

Bonus Features
-Six audio commentaries (including an all new “Dressed to Kill” commentary with actress Patricia Morison)
-An interview with Robert Gitt of the UCLA film and Television Archive
-Footage of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
-Production notes
-Photo galleries
-Theatrical trailers

Amazon review of the DVDs posted:

The UCLA Theatre Archives did an award-winning job in restoring and thus preserving these great films from 35mm master copies into the digital format, sometimes literally being forced to piece together the celluloid remnants that they found.

It took the archivists several years to complete the entire project, but was well worth the wait. The result is that the black and white images seem as fresh today as when the films were released to theatres more than 40 years ago. The archivists deserve a hearty thanks from all movie fans concerned with preserving America's classic cinema heritage for future generations to enjoy.

Preorder is up on Amazon for $90.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GSVXDA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GSVXDA

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Awesome, I've heard the films are mostly terrific. Great to see more classics hit Blu-Ray.

From looking at UCLA's database, most of the Universal films (the first few were made at Fox) were restored from the nitrate camera and soundtrack negatives. As long as they're not DVNR'd to death like Becket, the films should look fantastic.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Awesome, I've heard the films are mostly terrific. Great to see more classics hit Blu-Ray.

I've seen them all, and actually they're mostly mediocre. But I still kind of want the set, I have a soft spot for them. $90 might be more than I'm willing to spend on it, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got the Alien Anthology and the Avatar: Collector's Edition from my Grandma, and Twilight Zone Season 1 from my girlfriend for Christmas. I can't wait to watch them tomorrow.

:woop::woop::woop:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

I got the Alien Anthology and the Avatar: Collector's Edition from my Grandma, and Twilight Zone Season 1 from my girlfriend for Christmas. I can't wait to watch them tomorrow.

:woop::woop::woop:

Yeah, well Merry loving Christmas! :argh:

Seriously though that's awesome, congrats! :)

No such thing for me for Christmas this year (wife and I just decided to give some money to the Salvation Army) but I'm planning on buying some blu's on Boxing Day.

If someone has a Canadian Walmart nearby that doesn't suck (raises hand) they're doing their 2/$10, 2/$15, 2/$20 and 2/$25 sale starting tomorrow.

Saw some scans of a flyer someone posted and some of the movies that will be available:

2 for $10:
Se7en (lovely Alliance Atlantis 1080i release)
Twister
The Corpse Bride
Requiem (is that the title?)

2 for $15:
Training Day
Ghost Rider
Terminator 3

2 for $20:
The Dark Knight
Twilight: New Moon
Wolverine
Kick-rear end
a Harry Potter film (can't tell which one, not a great scan)

2 for $25:
Taken
Forrest Gump

Movies at $14.95:
Michael Jackson: This Is It
Sherlock Holmes
Robin Hood (the one with Crowe)
a few others I can't recognize

Hopefully there will be a bigger/better selection than what is shown in the flyer I saw. Last year I bought 6 James Bond films at $10 each, it was a nice surprise.

Merry Christmas, everyone, and good luck on your Boxing Day purchases.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cherokee Jack posted:

Se7en (lovely Alliance Atlantis 1080i release)

Not only is Se7en 1080i but it is open matte (so 1.78:1 instead of 2.35:1)

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Not only is Se7en 1080i but it is open matte (so 1.78:1 instead of 2.35:1)

Good job, Alliance. :downsbravo:

The other day I bought the original Day the Earth Stood Still and it looks really good. I just wish there were a lot more older films available in this format. That Humphrey Bogart collection that was released not too long ago would have been even better if there was a blu-ray version of it.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Sporadic posted:

I was able to access the menu but even after changing it to 7-2, it is still rejecting my Region B Blu-Rays (tried both The Crow and 9 Songs). I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
Rejected as in getting the "this disc is region coded" screen or just not playing at all? I'm pretty sure both The Crow and 9 Songs UK discs are encoded at 1080i50 which is not supported by many U.S. televisions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BajaBurrito posted:

Rejected as in getting the "this disc is region coded" screen or just not playing at all? I'm pretty sure both The Crow and 9 Songs UK discs are encoded at 1080i50 which is not supported by many U.S. televisions.

Getting a "this disc is region coded" error. Guess I'll try Baraka and see if it works.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I remember there was some talk about which of the cuts of the different Alien movies to watch. Was there a consensus?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I remember there was some talk about which of the cuts of the different Alien movies to watch. Was there a consensus?

My personal preference is directors/producers cuts for all of them except Alien Resurrection because the longer cut is even dumber than the original. All the added scenes are all horribly acted by the people who play the crew of the Betty and DeStefano guy has some of the STUPIDEST lines I've ever had to listen to.

I've actually seen some people argue in favor of the theatrical cut of Aliens saying they added too many pointless scenes and that honestly just blows my mind how anyone could think that. Alien is actually one minute shorter in the directors cut IIRC because Scott tightened up some of the pacing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

KingKapalone posted:

Alien - No/Not much different
Aliens - Yes, with caveats and a few objectors
Alien 3 - Yes
Alien Resurrection - Who Cares

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

In genreal it behooves you to see the theatrical Alien and Aliens first, and workprint Alien 3. Aliens director's cut is really cool but the pacing is problematic, and Alien director's cut is whatever. Alien 3, however, really needs to be looked as an incomplete movie like Mr. Arkadin, and the workprint is the closest we'll get to what it would've been.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet
I really dislike the Director's Cut of Alien. The added scenes would be a little interesting out of context, but the way they're inserted into the film completely destroy the pacing and sort of warp some of the character motivations. Most of the scenes are reworked to better effect in the sequels, anyway.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Four Lions is getting a US release March 8 from Magnolia :woop:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best Buy has a pretty good 2 for $23 sale on some Universal titles right now. Of note (and probably a mistake):

Coraline 3D
Coraline Collector's Edition
Hellboy 2 Collector's Edition
Wanted Collector's Edition

There's some other good stuff in there though, and for only $11.50 apiece.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=3594900&loc=01

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Hooray, I'm broke! :suicide:

Made the Boxing Day Walmart trek (not that many people yet, everyone was well behaved but I guess you get that in a small town) and returned with the following for $240:

Kick-rear end
Goodfellas
Stargate (15th anniversary)
Star Trek II
Star Trek IV
Donnie Brasco
The Godfather
Forrest Gump
Fight Club
District 9
Zombieland
Sherlock Holmes
Scott Pilgrim
Cloverfield
War of the Worlds
Minority Report
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy

Rather not have X-Men: The Last Stand but the trilogy set was only $20 so I can't really complain.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctor thodt posted:

March

Oh hey, look what else:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The Social Network is up on Amazon for pre-order, $22.99

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Got a pretty good haul for Christmas.

Gifts:

Back To The Future Trilogy

Bought:

Beauty and the Beast
A Bug's Life
Inception
Scott Pilgrim

Have so far watched the first Back To The Future and Beauty and the Beast. I thought BTTF was impressive but BATB is loving stunning and if you haven't bought it for shame on you, buy it immediately!

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Adrianics posted:

I thought BTTF was impressive but BATB is loving stunning and if you haven't bought it for shame on you, buy it immediately!

I bought BATB the other week and while I haven't had a chance to watch it yet I did check out a few scenes and yeah, it's stunning. My wife got a $30 Walmart card for Christmas and I'm trying to talk her into buying the Fantasia blu-ray.

I can't remember the name of the forum but there's a Disney forum (DVDizzy or something?) where people freak out over any little change/enhancement/whatever done to Disney films on blu-ray. There was one or two people who claimed that their VHS copy of Sleeping Beauty was better than the blu-ray version because the picture was "softer" and the colors more "natural" or something like that. Yeah.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Cherokee Jack posted:

I can't remember the name of the forum but there's a Disney forum (DVDizzy or something?) where people freak out over any little change/enhancement/whatever done to Disney films on blu-ray. There was one or two people who claimed that their VHS copy of Sleeping Beauty was better than the blu-ray version because the picture was "softer" and the colors more "natural" or something like that. Yeah.
I'm not even kidding when I say my eye began to twitch after reading this.

Had an excellent year for blu-ray. My family and extended family knows I collect a lot of blu-rays, so they made me take pictures of my collection and send it to them, so they'd know what NOT to get me, in addition to my normal suggestion. I was genuinely surprised at some of the picks they gave me. I ended up getting:

Alien Anthology
Back to the Future Trilogy
Deadwood: The Complete Series
How To Train Your Dragon
Psycho
Rome: The Complete Series
Videodrome

Can't wait to finally sit down and watch any of these, or just get back to buying blu-rays. Abstaining from buying blus for the past month or so has been like quitting smoking for me.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I got two copies of the Alien Anthology for Christmas. Alien might be my favorite movie, but I'm not sure I love it enough to watch it two times at once. I was thinking of grabbing Inception and Fallout New Vegas when I return it, but the Toy Story boxset looks mighty tempting...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cherokee Jack posted:

I bought BATB the other week and while I haven't had a chance to watch it yet I did check out a few scenes and yeah, it's stunning. My wife got a $30 Walmart card for Christmas and I'm trying to talk her into buying the Fantasia blu-ray.

Unless it's from a trusted expert on film/video (i.e. Robert Harris, Richard May, etc) on a message board - you're most likely reading drivel with comments like that.

From what I've read, Fantasia is actually quite accurate. Ever since they started working exclusively with 4K off the 3-strip negatives (back in 2003 for Bambi), they go back to original prints and artwork to use as reference for color timing. There's no way to perfectly simulate Technicolor prints in digital formats, but it's not like they're winging it, either.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Unless it's from a trusted expert on film/video (i.e. Robert Harris, Richard May, etc) on a message board - you're most likely reading drivel with comments like that.

I kind of realized that. They're loving morons. :)

quote:

From what I've read, Fantasia is actually quite accurate. Ever since they started working exclusively with 4K off the 3-strip negatives (back in 2003 for Bambi), they go back to original prints and artwork to use as reference for color timing. There's no way to perfectly simulate Technicolor prints in digital formats, but it's not like they're winging it, either.

Lowry digital does the majority of film restorations, correct? If so, how closely do they work in conjunction with companies like Disney? Get access to the artwork and the like that you mentioned? It's probably a dumb question, but I need to get my dumb questions out of the way for 2010.

Oh god, I forgot how spergy the posters are at the blu-ray.com forums. Someone was quite upset at not getting a slip cover for Nightmare on Elm Street. :ughh: Someone else drove to four different Future Shops, to no avail, trying to find Sherlock Holmes for $10. I bought mine at WM for $15, saving the hassle of driving store-to-store.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cherokee Jack posted:

I kind of realized that. They're loving morons. :)

Lowry digital does the majority of film restorations, correct? If so, how closely do they work in conjunction with companies like Disney? Get access to the artwork and the like that you mentioned? It's probably a dumb question, but I need to get my dumb questions out of the way for 2010.

Oh god, I forgot how spergy the posters are at the blu-ray.com forums. Someone was quite upset at not getting a slip cover for Nightmare on Elm Street. :ughh: Someone else drove to four different Future Shops, to no avail, trying to find Sherlock Holmes for $10. I bought mine at WM for $15, saving the hassle of driving store-to-store.

I went to like 10 wal-marts in the last month with the pre-wrapped copies of Sherlock Holmes for $10.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

I went to like 10 wal-marts in the last month with the pre-wrapped copies of Sherlock Holmes for $10.

I hope your job involves going to Wal-Mart in some capacity.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

:ssh: He's Canadian.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Cherokee Jack posted:

Oh god, I forgot how spergy the posters are at the blu-ray.com forums. Someone was quite upset at not getting a slip cover for Nightmare on Elm Street. :ughh:
The slipcover people are nuts, but to me they still don't hold a candle to people who break down TV seasons to price per episode. I saw a post that said he wouldn't buy the Office on blu-ray until it was something like $1.75 per episode. At the time, the season price would have put it at $1.90 per episode. I can't even begin to understand that kind of insanity. I feel like there should be a show on A&E that comes on after Hoarders, documenting these lunatics.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Can someone explain to me the hate for slipcovers? Is it because they kinda bend too easily unless you try to not be a barbarian and actually put them away/take them out softly?

Or is there some other :spergin: reason I'm missing? Because honestly, slip covers are some of my favorite things. They add a nice flash to most blu-rays, or more of an overall sleekness.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Because they cover them in stickers, they break up the flush look of a row of normal cases, they bend and scratch easily, and most times they're just the same image as the actual cover art but with a ton of critic quotes plastered all over.

I typically throw them out unless they're part of the case, like the Star Trek one.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Because they cover them in stickers, they break up the flush look of a row of normal cases, they bend and scratch easily, and most times they're just the same image as the actual cover art but with a ton of critic quotes plastered all over.

I typically throw them out unless they're part of the case, like the Star Trek one.

I throw all mine out unless they have different art (like Star Trek and I think the Dark Knight). Even those I only keep reluctantly.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Asnorban posted:

I throw all mine out unless they have different art (like Star Trek and I think the Dark Knight). Even those I only keep reluctantly.

I keep all of mine just because I am anal, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I lost one I guess unless it was one of those cases that look retarded without the slip cover like Iron Man/Transformers/Star Trek....ect.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I put all of my discs in binders and throw away the cases, including Criterions.
Not really

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

I put all of my discs in binders and throw away the cases, including Criterions.
Not really

I did this for most of my movies because I moved a lot during college and having some cases wasn't worth the hassle of moving them (and the shelf space required to display them) a couple times a year.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And this is less spergy than the slipcover lovers? :)

I like them just fine - some of the shiny or embossed ones are visually appealing, while others really add nothing and I wouldn't miss em if they were gone. But I'd never make a BD purchase decision over them, and I'd certainly never buy them by themselves. Those are the two things that really make me think "What the gently caress." There are people at blu-ray.com that literally buy JUST the slipcovers and have those as a collection unto themselves, totally independently of the Blu-ray Discs they're supposed to come with. We're talking Santa Paws and Tinker Bell slips here too. Creeeepy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Neo_Reloaded posted:

And this is less spergy than the slipcover lovers? :)

I never said that, I was just giving my reasons for disliking them. I'll admit that I can be very anal about cases and how things look on shelves, I like uniformity with that stuff and slip covers gently caress that up.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They take up precious millimeters of shelf space, too.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I've read the Blu-ray versions of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness aren't that great. True?

Also, is there any word on when The Big Lebowski and Jurassic Park will be released? Or the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Paul_Klein posted:

Or the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions?

The prevailing theory is that they'll be tied in with the Hobbit theatrical release.

• Locked thread