Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

Don't think anyone tried helping you on this. For almost every Sense phone, you can usually root with ease using Unrevoked: http://unrevoked.com/ (Though i've heard the latest EVO's might require advanced steps to root, but give it a try.)

Yeah, I tried unrevoked (3, not forever) twice with no success. Unfortunate, but I appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I tried unrevoked (3, not forever) twice with no success. Unfortunate, but I appreciate it!

This thread looks to be the choice method right now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448
(I rooted my EVO forever ago, so I cannot confirm) Includes two methods of rooting, hope that gets you going. :)

Also, congrats on getting the gently caress away from your Moment. ;) [So happy when I upgraded from my poopy Moment to the sexbomb EVO]

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife is running the latest stock OTA and unrevoked3 doesn't work for her either. Looks like the latest software broke it. I will have to wait until I can promise her that her angry birds saves will be safe before rooting using that XDA thread, but she just cannot stand how ad heavy AB has gotten as of late. I imagine she will be willing to accept the risk soon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Turnquiet posted:

My wife is running the latest stock OTA and unrevoked3 doesn't work for her either. Looks like the latest software broke it. I will have to wait until I can promise her that her angry birds saves will be safe before rooting using that XDA thread, but she just cannot stand how ad heavy AB has gotten as of late. I imagine she will be willing to accept the risk soon.

TB will back it up and restore it no problem. If she's that pissed about ads in AB then have her turn wifi and data off while she plays. It's not the most elegant solution but it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There's also a data file you can manually copy if you want to be double sure.

I agree that the ads on AB are just out of control. Lately I've taken to using an ad blocker just for playing it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

This thread looks to be the choice method right now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448
(I rooted my EVO forever ago, so I cannot confirm) Includes two methods of rooting, hope that gets you going. :)

Also, congrats on getting the gently caress away from your Moment. ;) [So happy when I upgraded from my poopy Moment to the sexbomb EVO]

Haha I actually bought a Palm Pre back in July to get away from the Moment, then got an Evo 2 months back. I had it running Cyanogen, but the charger port tanked so they had to order me another one. So now I have to learn how to root the hard way. Very irritating.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm planning on switching to the EVO Shift whenever it is released. I know I won't have root access for a while, is there anyway I can restore my app data from my current phone without Titanium Backup?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Just rooted and installed cyanogen after 4-5 months of having my Desire. I can't believe how much of the stuff that irritated me about the phone was actually Sense and not Android.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
I have a Droid Incredible. Would rooting my phone allow me to download a zip or rar file using my phone's browser, unpack it, and then have the files be recognized by whatever software on the phone I was using to run them? For example, I recently was on a long trip and wanted to download a rar of some music off of a blog to listen to. I downloaded the file, used an app that I had found in the marketplace to unpack it, but the phone wouldn't recognize the mp3s or play them. And thanks everyone for such an informative thread!

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

sanosuke21 posted:

I have a Droid Incredible. Would rooting my phone allow me to download a zip or rar file using my phone's browser, unpack it, and then have the files be recognized by whatever software on the phone I was using to run them? For example, I recently was on a long trip and wanted to download a rar of some music off of a blog to listen to. I downloaded the file, used an app that I had found in the marketplace to unpack it, but the phone wouldn't recognize the mp3s or play them. And thanks everyone for such an informative thread!

did you move them from the download folder to the media folder?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sanosuke21 posted:

A few things:

1) Root wouldn't really help you in this situation
2) I haven't really found a GOOD app for unpacking .rar's reliably. Stick to .zip's.
3) Unpacking media files on Android is tricky as it wont see the new media right away. The simplest fix is to just reboot the phone. Alternatively you can find a myriad of media scanner apps on the Market that force Android to rescan the SD card for new media.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Haha I actually bought a Palm Pre back in July to get away from the Moment, then got an Evo 2 months back. I had it running Cyanogen, but the charger port tanked so they had to order me another one. So now I have to learn how to root the hard way. Very irritating.

Hm...I think I read about your charger port issue as I have a similar problem. Device will charge from certain devices, whereas others it will consistently face problems being recognized. I'm worried I may have to follow you in getting a new phone.

Desktop & USB hub car adapter both recognize then will be ignored after a duration. Yet, a few other machines I've tested it on have zero issues. A coworker of mine was thinking it might be an issue with voltage, as the USB car hub might not be providing an adequate amount? [Though, unsure why my PC would start doing that as well.]

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Sorry if this has been posted/answered before, I tried searching to no avail.

I have a rooted OG Droid 1 (2.2 Froyo). Stock ROM and stock everything except i'm using SetCPU and have some Metamorph theme files installed (new battery, wi-fi, etc. icons for the notification/status bar.
Do I need to unroot my phone to install this new OTA update that has been pushed to my phone? If so, how is this done?

chomper fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 27, 2010

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I finally bit the bullet and put CM6.1 on my Incredible. I should have done it so much sooner! Plus Titanium Backup made it easy as pie to get everything back and running.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

Hm...I think I read about your charger port issue as I have a similar problem. Device will charge from certain devices, whereas others it will consistently face problems being recognized. I'm worried I may have to follow you in getting a new phone.

Desktop & USB hub car adapter both recognize then will be ignored after a duration. Yet, a few other machines I've tested it on have zero issues. A coworker of mine was thinking it might be an issue with voltage, as the USB car hub might not be providing an adequate amount? [Though, unsure why my PC would start doing that as well.]

The Sprint tech guys said they see it a decent amount, apparently some chargers stop working but thicker ones (the Palm Pre charger is their best one) still work. From my time in a non-Sprint tech center I would honestly bet its just the charger port getting knocked around and its just a bit weaker on the Evo I guess. Thankfully the pins were still attached (or else I would have been hosed) but since its micro its much harder to repair than mini, they just ordered a new phone. drat.

Also, they didn't give two shits that the phone was blatantly running Cyanogen.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Duckman2008 posted:

Why would they? Your problem is unrelated to the software.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Why would they? Your problem is unrelated to the software.

Warranty/Insurance is one industry that just looks for reasons to deny claims.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The Sprint tech guys said they see it a decent amount, apparently some chargers stop working but thicker ones (the Palm Pre charger is their best one) still work. From my time in a non-Sprint tech center I would honestly bet its just the charger port getting knocked around and its just a bit weaker on the Evo I guess. Thankfully the pins were still attached (or else I would have been hosed) but since its micro its much harder to repair than mini, they just ordered a new phone. drat.

That is a bummer, I'm hoping it does not degrade further. Currently it is tolerable, I simply have to avoid certain problematic devices. I actually purchased a Palm Pre charger off Amazon so I could finally charge my phone near my desktop. Curious if the Palm Pre's USB cable would work on my desktop. [If thickness of microSD connector improves quality.] I've resorted to using this to transfer files: http://www.appbrain.com/app/websharinglite-file-media-sync/nextapp.websharing

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Personally, I'm using MIUI's PC Sync setup to transfer files. When you enable it, it runs an FTP server, which is more convenient than a web interface to me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duckman2008 posted:

Warranty/Insurance is one industry that just looks for reasons to deny claims.

Also one industry people happily file fraudulent claims under on a consistent basis which is why they end up being so anal about the process of getting your money.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Rohaq posted:

This is why I love TitantiumBackup's new 'Integrate with ROM' option for apps now. I have an S-OFF'd HTC Desire, so moving apps into my /system directory is awesome.

Would someone be so kind as to explain what, exactly this "Integrate with ROM" feature does? I tried the TB wiki, but didn't have any success.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Would someone be so kind as to explain what, exactly this "Integrate with ROM" feature does? I tried the TB wiki, but didn't have any success.

Moves the app from /data to /system. Once you have done that TB can bake the ROM you have at that point into a flashable zip.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

So I finally figured out that to get the Google apps with Cyanogen, you have to download them as a zip file then install from recovery mode. Will these apps update themselves now, or do I have to download an updated zip file every month and install from recovery every month to stay up to date?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Kreez posted:

So I finally figured out that to get the Google apps with Cyanogen, you have to download them as a zip file then install from recovery mode. Will these apps update themselves now, or do I have to download an updated zip file every month and install from recovery every month to stay up to date?

You can update them from the market.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Moves the app from /data to /system. Once you have done that TB can bake the ROM you have at that point into a flashable zip.

And what are the advantages of this?

I can see how it would be much faster/easier to switch between ROM's...but is that it?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

You can update them from the market.

Speaking of the Market...is anyone else still waiting to get updated to the newest version?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ozmodiar posted:

And what are the advantages of this?

I can see how it would be much faster/easier to switch between ROM's...but is that it?

Speaking of the Market...is anyone else still waiting to get updated to the newest version?

Space. Apps install on /Data partition, which is a different partition from /System. Moving an app to /System frees up some space.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm on CM 6.1.1 or whatever and I still haven't gotten the new Market. I flashed a hacked version of the market but found it's not ... well it's not formatted right for the Evo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

I am, and I'm glad I haven't been updated yet.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Godzilla07 posted:

I am, and I'm glad I haven't been updated yet.

me too. do you lose anything at all by not having the new one?

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009
I'll prefix this post by saying I have been a giant dumb gently caress, so please just bear with me.

I accidentally hit the "update me" button on my rooted Desire when it popped up, and it got about halfway through then crashed and rebooted itself. Now my phone is stuck in an infinite boot loop and recovery mode shows a phone with a red triangle like this /!\

I've been looking around the internet all day and a "factory reset" clear from the boot menu doesn't help at all. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to take this back to the shop and pretend I have no idea what rooting is?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

chomper posted:

Sorry if this has been posted/answered before, I tried searching to no avail.

I have a rooted OG Droid 1 (2.2 Froyo). Stock ROM and stock everything except i'm using SetCPU and have some Metamorph theme files installed (new battery, wi-fi, etc. icons for the notification/status bar.
Do I need to unroot my phone to install this new OTA update that has been pushed to my phone? If so, how is this done?

Safest/least destructive would be to check the relevant XDA board for a pre-rooted version of the same OTA and use that.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

pmMike posted:

I'll prefix this post by saying I have been a giant dumb gently caress, so please just bear with me.

I accidentally hit the "update me" button on my rooted Desire when it popped up, and it got about halfway through then crashed and rebooted itself. Now my phone is stuck in an infinite boot loop and recovery mode shows a phone with a red triangle like this /!\

I've been looking around the internet all day and a "factory reset" clear from the boot menu doesn't help at all. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to take this back to the shop and pretend I have no idea what rooting is?

Can you boot into fastboot mode? Maybe you can try loading a custom recovery again.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Sorry if anything like this has been mentioned, I've followed the thread pretty closely and I don't recall anyone having a similar problem.

My brother has a CDMA Hero running 1.5 on Sprint. I'm wanting to root it and put Cyanogen 6.1 on there (that is 2.2 I believe). However, I can't get ROM Manager to install successfully no matter what I do (it isn't available on the market, so I've tried random APKs and Appbrain Fast Web Installer as well, all to no avail).

Is what I want to do even possible on a CDMA Hero? I've successfully (I think) rooted the phone using Universal Androot. Can someone explain or point me towards information about flashing Clockwork Recovery without using ROM Manager? Any help will be appreciated, I'd like to get 2.2 on this phone if at all possible. Thanks!!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

There's a link to the APK if you havn't tried that one yet. CMDA Hero is in the list for the recovery image.

Universal Androot may be the problem. Maybe try rooting it with SuperOneClickRoot?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tehfox0r posted:

Sorry if anything like this has been mentioned, I've followed the thread pretty closely and I don't recall anyone having a similar problem.

My brother has a CDMA Hero running 1.5 on Sprint. I'm wanting to root it and put Cyanogen 6.1 on there (that is 2.2 I believe). However, I can't get ROM Manager to install successfully no matter what I do (it isn't available on the market, so I've tried random APKs and Appbrain Fast Web Installer as well, all to no avail).

Is what I want to do even possible on a CDMA Hero? I've successfully (I think) rooted the phone using Universal Androot. Can someone explain or point me towards information about flashing Clockwork Recovery without using ROM Manager? Any help will be appreciated, I'd like to get 2.2 on this phone if at all possible. Thanks!!

Root guide from XDA This will work with software versions 1.29.651.1 and 1.56.651.2 (aka Android 1.5). CM6.1 works well on the Hero. I wouldn't bother with Rom Manager, I always had issues with it with my Hero. Just put the cm6.1 update.zip on your /sdcard/ root and flash from clockwork/ra-amon.

Really its pretty straight forward. Just be sure to read all the way through once or twice before you begin and you should be fine.

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001
I have finally rooted my Droid X. I then proceeded to install gummyJar as the ROM.

As much as I like gummyJar, the geek in me wants to find something else. Does anybody know if Cyanogenmod 7 is coming to the DX?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Tranquility runs really well on my Droid X. It gives a lot of nice options such as animations, boot screens, and the newest one has the Gingerbread keyboard built in (option to turn it off and on). It makes it really easy to change system animations, fonts, etc.

The Droid X hasn't been fully 'hacked', so nice ROMs like Cyanogen probably won't be around for it for a while.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

deong posted:

Root guide from XDA This will work with software versions 1.29.651.1 and 1.56.651.2 (aka Android 1.5). CM6.1 works well on the Hero. I wouldn't bother with Rom Manager, I always had issues with it with my Hero. Just put the cm6.1 update.zip on your /sdcard/ root and flash from clockwork/ra-amon.

Really its pretty straight forward. Just be sure to read all the way through once or twice before you begin and you should be fine.

This is awesome. Thank you very much!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
That seems like a lot of work. Does SuperOneClickRoot not work for the Hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

yamdankee posted:

That seems like a lot of work. Does SuperOneClickRoot not work for the Hero?

I tried the SuperOneClickRoot right after your post and it ended up not working :(. The ADB way got a new recovery flashed on though, so now I'm set!