Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zegnar posted:

I am going to a 21st birthday party over a 3 day weekend, plan was black tie / white tie every day but the host has now declared that one day will be an 'Tim Burton themed costume party'. None of my friends like Tim Burton, it is bizarre and arbitrary.

What the hell do I wear? I am a blond man so that rules out most of his emo characters. I still need to look smart so nothing ridiculous. Budget is not a problem, but I do already have 3 metres of electroluminescent wire I'd like to use somehow. I am taking a flight to get there with no checked luggage, so nothing that won't go through security.

50 people going so there will be a lot of Ed Woods and Jack Skeletons, I need to get a little more creative.

Edit: Is there somewhere more appropriate to post this?

You could always just dress up in the "theme" of Tim Burton. You know, kinda kooky-goth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Zegnar posted:

I am going to a 21st birthday party over a 3 day weekend, plan was black tie / white tie every day but the host has now declared that one day will be an 'Tim Burton themed costume party'. None of my friends like Tim Burton, it is bizarre and arbitrary.

What the hell do I wear? I am a blond man so that rules out most of his emo characters. I still need to look smart so nothing ridiculous. Budget is not a problem, but I do already have 3 metres of electroluminescent wire I'd like to use somehow. I am taking a flight to get there with no checked luggage, so nothing that won't go through security.

50 people going so there will be a lot of Ed Woods and Jack Skeletons, I need to get a little more creative.

Lose the jacket, get some braces and maybe a skull mask or facepaint. Bingo, you keep the smart look and still come off as fitting in. You could try charity shops for cheap instruments (violin / hand accordians / something small) and pass yourself off as a macabre band member. Scruff up your hair a bit if you need to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dress as Batman.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

gwar3k1 posted:

Lose the jacket, get some braces and maybe a skull mask or facepaint. Bingo, you keep the smart look and still come off as fitting in. You could try charity shops for cheap instruments (violin / hand accordians / something small) and pass yourself off as a macabre band member. Scruff up your hair a bit if you need to.

Brilliant! Perfect plan, eBay has a black 3/4 size violin too.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

haveblue posted:

Dress as Batman.

This. A million times this.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
How about Batman?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Zegnar posted:

The mean boy in Edward Scissorhands is blond, curl your hair, put on a leather jacket, get drunk, paw at women and generally be a dickhead.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

madlilnerd posted:

The mean boy in Edward Scissorhands is blond, curl your hair, put on a leather jacket, get drunk, paw at women and generally be a dickhead.

And slice their arms up. Tim Burton makes horror movies.

Be a horror movie; spill some blood.

That is the way to make a party memorable. (you will be in costume, you won't get caught.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
http://bit.ly/galU01

This is the tip to use AdBlock to stop ESPN.com's video from starting, but it no longer works.

Anyone know a "stop ESPN video from starting" extension for Firefox?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Question: I've been trying to remember the name of this song I heard at a party a month or two back. From what I remember, it had a 4 to the floor beat, sounded somewhat like a cross between hip hop and house, but I'm not sure if there was any rapping. It had a Latin flavor to it, and I think it might have had a title in Spanish or perhaps that was the name of the artist. The thing that stood out about the track was a line being played by a saxophone or similar brass instrument. It was playing a rather syncopated beat, switching between two notes an octave apart. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Edit: Nevermind, just figured it out. I was thinking of We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 27, 2010

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Q: When are these famed post-Christmas deals? I want to buy a big screen TV, but I suspect those won't go on sale in Jan (or ever)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

redreader posted:

Q: When are these famed post-Christmas deals? I want to buy a big screen TV, but I suspect those won't go on sale in Jan (or ever)

Try late january right after CES

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a way to keep youtube from changing the video quality to 480p after going full-screen, thus reloading the entire video?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Manslaughter posted:

Is there a way to keep youtube from changing the video quality to 480p after going full-screen, thus reloading the entire video?

Account -> Playback Setup -> "I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video."

Did this recently myself. Much less annoying that way.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
AIM changed one of my passwords for my screen name. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL but they're useless. I'm desperate. How can I get my password back?

When I pass the image verification, it reads

quote:

We're sorry. We do not have enough information to reset your password. If you are unable to remember it you will need to create a new Username.

I've been looking for solutions all weekend. Can't anybody help me? There has to be SOMETHING I can do. :bang:

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Forums related question:
How are people bolding words and changing the size of words in their post?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question:

To bold words you just put the letter "b" in brackets before the bolded phrase and "/b" in brackets after the bolded phrase. Not sure about the size changes though.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
If there was a newspaper article or blog post online that had false and misleading information in it, would I need to contact the webmaster to get it taken down? Do they HAVE to take it down, if I requested it?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question:

BBcodes Explained

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
and making smaller text is done with the "sub" tag. You can't make bigger text afaik.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A guy rang my doorbell saying he was from the gas company doing a survey to see if people are eligible for a discount. He asked how many people live here and whether our household makes over 40K. Without thinking I told him, but after a few minutes I started wondering if he was doing some burglary scouting. What do you guys think?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

A guy rang my doorbell saying he was from the gas company doing a survey to see if people are eligible for a discount. He asked how many people live here and whether our household makes over 40K. Without thinking I told him, but after a few minutes I started wondering if he was doing some burglary scouting. What do you guys think?

That really sounds like it could be scouting. You should probably call the gas company and ask them about it, report it to the police if it turns out they didn't send anyone, and next time ask for ID.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Steve Yun posted:

Call the gas company to see if it was real and then call the police with a description of the guy and what he's doing if he wasn't for real.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I called the gas company and apparently they do send out people like that through third party marketing companies. Just to be extra careful I asked if they could call the third party and verify if they sent anyone to my area recently. They're going to call me back tomorrow about it.

Calling the gas company should've been the obvious answer but my mind blanked on that...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 28, 2010

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj
How do I do the following in Excel 2007?

I want to do conditional formatting for two columns: When the value of one cell in Column A equals the value of a cell in the same row in Column B, then I want both cells in that row (but not the whole column) to be grayed out.

I know how to do the formatting part. I just need the formula to establish the condition.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

JimTheSarcastic posted:

I want to do conditional formatting for two columns: When the value of one cell in Column A equals the value of a cell in the same row in Column B, then I want both cells in that row (but not the whole column) to be grayed out.

I know how to do the formatting part. I just need the formula to establish the condition.

Do conditional formatting

I havent used excel in a while, but its probably just if(A#==B#) then have the condition be grey. DO that for the A cell. In the B cell, have the same thing, but if (B#==#A)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Or you can highlight the top two cells, Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format, then put "=A2=B2" in the formula field. Then copy those cells and highlight the entire range, Paste Special > Format.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Quick banking question, if I open a business account and my business name is super offensive would they put it on my debit card? Example, "Pussy Pics, LLC"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Quick banking question, if I open a business account and my business name is super offensive would they put it on my debit card? Example, "Pussy Pics, LLC"

Yeah they just probably wouldn't talk openly about your business by that name in front of other customers. I don't know if all banks are the same but at the bank where I worked, if you ordered a business debit card, your business name came first and your actual name goes under that, automatically. That's just how it's done, regardless of name.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Anybody know that book that's kind of cartoon-y and short but is about death? Morbid stuff like being jealous of a houseplant because it dies so early. My memory is hazy on this.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Emily A. Stanton posted:

If there was a newspaper article or blog post online that had false and misleading information in it, would I need to contact the webmaster to get it taken down? Do they HAVE to take it down, if I requested it?

You have basically described the history of Something Awful (the website, not the forums). Read about the history of that for your answer.

Basically, no, free speech is pretty fully respected, especially on the internet, where the legal location is often difficult if not impossible to define for the terms of a potential libel suit. Unless the poster's ISP is one that pulls down anything they receive complaints about. Which is actually pretty common. If you claim that the speech you do not like is actually your copyrighted material, you can get it pulled.

(But if one owns his own media outlet, then one can say whatever lies one wants.)

You have to be able to prove actual harm from the speech, which is difficult unless you are a public figure. And public figures are fair targets for satire. It is remarkably difficult to prove harm (required for libel), and almost all public figures are fair targets for satirical speech, which is the fallback option for libelous speech/writing about public figures.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

http://bit.ly/galU01

This is the tip to use AdBlock to stop ESPN.com's video from starting, but it no longer works.

Anyone know a "stop ESPN video from starting" extension for Firefox?

Answering my own question for those who want to know how.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364/

This is an addon to AdBlock plus which makes this possible. So AdBlock, plus Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.1, makes blocking the annoying video on ESPN from loading easier.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

There was a website full of stupid jokes that used to get linked from here, written by someone from SA. I want to say it featured a lot of IRC logs, and other similarly geeky humor. It seems like it was always linked in tell me a nerd joke threads.

Given that remarkably vague description, anyone want to tell me what it was?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

kapalama posted:

There was a website full of stupid jokes that used to get linked from here, written by someone from SA. I want to say it featured a lot of IRC logs, and other similarly geeky humor. It seems like it was always linked in tell me a nerd joke threads.

Given that remarkably vague description, anyone want to tell me what it was?

http://www.bash.org/ ?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Binowru posted:

http://www.bash.org/ ?

That's not the one I was looking for, but it is certainly funny. Thanks for another place to go for silly.

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
I'm going on a plane with my girlfriend soon. We have one laptop and I want us to both be able to watch a movie on it at the same time, thus requiring us to both be able to plugin earbuds. Is there some sort of adapter that lets you plug TWO earbuds into a single receptacle and have both work?

Thanks!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

UrbanFarmer posted:

I'm going on a plane with my girlfriend soon. We have one laptop and I want us to both be able to watch a movie on it at the same time, thus requiring us to both be able to plugin earbuds. Is there some sort of adapter that lets you plug TWO earbuds into a single receptacle and have both work?

Thanks!

If I understand you right you're looking for something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-HEADPHONE-SPLITTER-CABLE/dp/B001924I0Q

You may be able to find one at a walmart or bestbuy, and should certainly be able to find one at a radioshack.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

UrbanFarmer posted:

Thanks!

http://www.opentip.com/Electronics-Computers/Monoprice-Headphone-Splitter-Separate-Volume-Controls-p-1935001.html

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
Thank you both, that's exactly what I needed. You guys rock! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Is there a term or TV Trope for characters that exist only to inconvenience the protagonist

like Ed's sister from Ed Edd n Eddy or the Kids from Eureka 7