Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I put my first Undercover Cruiser together today, and I have to say, it's much better than the Gold Heist set simply because the design isn't so flimsy. It transforms smoothly and easily, even if it is gimmicky, and it has a good selection of parts. I'm not sure it was worth $10 more than Gold Heist, but at half off it's a good set for sure. I decided to order another one through Lego Christmas Eve/Morning along with a Home One set.

I'm greatly looking forward to the new wave of sets in 2011 :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icebuzz
Jun 10, 2009
Ok, you guys made me dig out my old sets. I will try to submit something soon.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

McFunkerson posted:

For you Lego goons in the Phoenix area, there is a Toys R Us express (which I never heard of before) that is going under. LEGO sets are 40% right now. The girl behind the counter said they're shutting the doors in a week.

They had some small and medium Atlantis and Miner sets. Some small star wars rebel trooper battle packs (I got the last clone walker battle pack,) medium and small city/builder pack, and those small toy story army men packs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Anyway, just thought I'd share the find. I dropped $70 tonight on sets "for my daughter" the day after Christmas... I'm not sure how I should feel about that.
For what it's worth they're not going under, Toys R Us Expresses were temporary stores Toys R Us opened for Christmas, kind of like all those Halloween stores that only exist for a month or two around October. I'd imagine all Toys R Us Expresses have the same clearance going on. However they usually only carried overstock from the main Toys R Us stores, so don't expect much rare inventory.

Flavor Bear posted:

I got a really bad luck streak with my latest minifig haul.
4 loving racecar drivers. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with these? Nobody wants them, so I can't even trade or sell 'em.
Plus two more mummies which brings the grand total to 6.
:sigh:
At least I got a Blacktron Cyborg.
I'll take a mummy off you if you're interested in selling.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 18, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Blew both my Christmas and birthday gift allotments on a Grand Emporium. Pretty awesome, except there's always that moment when you pull out the base piece and it's like, "it's this small?" For some reason 2000+ LEGO pieces seem like they should take up a whole lot more space.

Also spent about 4 hours yesterday trying to organize LEGO pieces by color and shape. I am in dire need of more storage.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Blew both my Christmas and birthday gift allotments on a Grand Emporium. Pretty awesome, except there's always that moment when you pull out the base piece and it's like, "it's this small?" For some reason 2000+ LEGO pieces seem like they should take up a whole lot more space.

Also spent about 4 hours yesterday trying to organize LEGO pieces by color and shape. I am in dire need of more storage.

I got Falling Water for christmas (I wanted a desk set) and was kind of blown away at how small it was for 800+ pieces. I kind of knew from the picture, but it was still surprising. It just uses a ton of very small pieces.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My girlfriend got me the Shuttle Adventure set for Christmas. I've only been collecting LEGO now for around a year after getting a job that afforded me a disposable income and this is the largest set I've gotten so far. I was surprised how much of the inner structure was lego blocks rather than technic pieces.

It took around 7 hours to build on Boxing Day, huddled in front of the fire place with half my attention on the TV. It was amazing, I struggled a little with the stickers (used my fingers and don't think they ended up looking great) so that's something to keep in mind for the next build. Now I'm faced with the task of getting it home from my families house having been too eager to build it before going back.

Looking at the 2011 sets I'm really excited for Alien Conquest and I'm already planning out ways to transform the Tripod Fighter into something closer to a Martian War Machine. Good times.

I've not made any mocs yet, though I think I'm going to use Universe Mode and try my hand at an Ecto 1 or even a recreation of my work place to stand next to the Grand Emporium I eventually plan to buy.

Onwards.

Nothingman
Sep 12, 2007

Singin' in the rain

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

So I wasn't intending to buy any Lego today, but I saw Space Police Central on sale for $48... and, well, I have gift cards to use :D If anyone wants, I did some review pictures of this set awhile ago: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=412560

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Visited the local LEGO shop, but left empty handed. The place had been worked over by a plague of brick-hungry locusts.

Not a total loss though, I took photos of some of the pick a brick bins.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

AAAAA IT BURNS!

There's one green one hiding in the back of these white bricks.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Ok, need some goon advice.
I have two enormous boxes of Lego, mostly unsorted. Any tips on how to go about sorting out this mess? I've been trying to stack like with like over the last year or so, but it's such a long drawn out process that I'm making no progress.

The collection includes something like 50 sets.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Jut posted:

I have two enormous boxes of Lego, mostly unsorted. Any tips on how to go about sorting out this mess? I've been trying to stack like with like over the last year or so, but it's such a long drawn out process that I'm making no progress.

I've just started doing something like this.
I started by dumping it all onto a large towel, and hurting my back for the next few days. I had three sorting boxes: Plates, Bricks, and Misc. The difference between the three is often arbitrary, but the important thing is consistency.

After you get everything sorted into three boxes, grab one box, a few empties, and start a sub-sort. My Bricks box has normal bricks, slopes, panels, wedges, rounds, studded technic beams (studless went into Misc), and other bits, so they'll be sub-sorted as such. Once I have that second-level sort done, then it'll be on to specific types and sizes. I likely won't ever do a specific color sort.

It's much easier than pawing through your entire collection for a handful of specific piece types over and over again.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 28, 2010

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Jut posted:

Mine is not the One True Lego Sort Method, but it has worked for me:

Plates, 1x*
Plates, 2x*
Plates, 4x*
Plates, larger
Bricks, 1x*
Bricks, 2x*
Bricks, larger
Obnoxiously large pieces like prefab castle walls and BURPs
Minifigs/Animals/Accessories
Wings/Tails/Angled plates that could be used as wings
Wheels/Tires/Wheel mounts/Treads
Decorated pieces
Round plates/pieces
SNOT pieces (headlight mounts, etc.)
Doors/Windows
Hinges
Transparent pieces

That leaves a bunch of weird pieces, but a smaller pile of weird pieces. Really, just get the basic plates, basic bricks, and minifig crap out, and you're in far better shape than one big pile.

If you sort by color before function, I will crawl through your computer and end you. Then take all your Legos.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
have any of you used that boxforblox sorter thingy? I wish i did more sorting as my collection grew eeep!

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

I just saw a shelf of this at Barnes & Noble:

http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

Does anyone have any of these? Are they worth it?

Testro
May 2, 2009

Sexual Lorax posted:

If you sort by color before function, I will crawl through your computer and end you. Then take all your Legos.

Eek! I don't have too many sets, so trying to sort by piece means I end up with about 50 boxes with 10 pieces in. I opted for colour in the end!

I quite like the challenge of rummaging through all of my grey pieces to find the one I need - otherwise my build time would be far too fast.

Does anyone here keep their pieces by set, or are most people into MOC building?

On an MOC point, has anyone got any recommendations of which sets to get to help MOCs along? For reference, I've got mostly pirate sets so I've always been a bit dubious how helpful a bunch of primary coloured 4 x 2 bricks would be in doing MOCs. Or does it make more sense to buy a couple of each set so you've got the 'right' bricks? Or is buying individual bricks the better answer?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jut posted:

Hire a day laborer and give him a really great "weird job" story.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Testro posted:

On an MOC point, has anyone got any recommendations of which sets to get to help MOCs along? For reference, I've got mostly pirate sets so I've always been a bit dubious how helpful a bunch of primary coloured 4 x 2 bricks would be in doing MOCs. Or does it make more sense to buy a couple of each set so you've got the 'right' bricks? Or is buying individual bricks the better answer?

Creator sets are full of the most versatile pieces. Just buy a set with colors you like. It's that simple.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

I have a bear trap under my monitor at all times :smugdog:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Jut posted:

have any of you used that boxforblox sorter thingy? I wish i did more sorting as my collection grew eeep!

boxforblox owns when sorting and the medium base plates fit perfectly in it making them stackable normal boxes for temporary storage when working on stuff.

Also, sorting by color is horrible. Search for my name in this thread to see my rolly bins for normal bricks and tackle boxes for smaller parts. So far it's been the easiest way I've found to do it while still being able to move it. Most of our stuff is sorted out to individual pieces; one tackle box for plates, 4 or so for technic, another for tiles etc. There aren't a lot of things we've had to leave completely unsorted like BURPs, big windows and doors, minifig stuff, bionicle etc.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
So I got Creationary for Christmas, and I'm totally loving it.

I'm wondering if anyone else plays it? They seem pretty popular, but do the hardcore AFOLs play it?

fake edit: Also, the Creationary box advocates sorting by colour.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else plays it? They seem pretty popular, but do the hardcore AFOLs play it?

fake edit: Also, the Creationary box advocates sorting by colour.

They play it everytime they mess around with their sorted parts.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MaliciousOnion posted:

Also, the Creationary box advocates sorting by colour.

I have Creationary, but I'm not climbing through any computers to choke it dead, because the parts selection isn't worth it. Great game to play with kids, though.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
How on earth did someone end up with all of this?

80 Star Wars lego figures:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tag/2133637416.html

50 lbs of Star Wars lego bulk:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/2133611825.html

and the prices! yikes. (maybe these are normal prices?)

*edit*

I suppose the prices are probably fair after doing some research. Who would have ever imagined that as a grown man, I wouldn't be able to afford to play with legos.

I wonder if the dude would just sell me two or three figures. :)

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 29, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I braved the mall and went to the lego store. It was packed, but on the counter were 2 full boxes of Series 3 Figs. I didn't have my cheat sheet with me for the bumps so I sorted out 6 and used the bumps to make sure I didn't have any Dupes.

Ended up with

1x Sumo
1x Snowboarder
1x Race driver
1x Mummy
1x Alien
1x Baseball Player

I might go back today with the cheat sheet and see if I can snag the rest of the set.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Found some series 2 figs at Border's today; got a mime, adventurer, and Mexican.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

will_colorado posted:

Most of them are pretty pricey. They are designed to be desk models so they are all pretty small. Don't let the brick counts fool you, they often use a ton of small pieces to get a look.

The quality varies. The Guggenheim is the worst one I have seen. It isn't a building that translates well to lego, and at that scale it just isn't that compelling. I got falling water for xmas and I liked it a lot. It is very small though since it is meant to be a desk set. Half the pieces are small plates so the brick count is deceptive. I think things like the emporium and green grocer are way more fun, but these do have some charm given their scale and being based on real life places.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

As I've picked up vintage sets at cons or through ebay, they somtimes include boxes (Mission Commander, Galactic Mediator, Solar Snooper, Robo Master). I don't keep boxes from any of my new sets, but I'm reluctant to throw 20-year-old boxes into the recycling. The Mission Commander box is in rough shape, but the other three are pretty good. Think it'd be worthwhile for me to put them up on bricklink? Does anyone actually buy empty boxes?

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

will_colorado posted:

I bought the White House one a couple months ago and it's the only Lego set I've never completed because it was so goddamn frustrating. They have you build the base plate yourself with some unstable pieces and I'd always get about 1/3 done and it'd fall apart left and right, causing other things to break off and it'd just spiral into chaos. I gave it 3 or 4 chances and even had other people give it a go and everyone agreed it sucked. I'm not sure about the others, but avoid the White House like hell.

I finished the Grand Carousel today. :D I'm not sure how long it took in hours, exactly, but I started on the 25th and finished it this afternoon. I haven't had much to do thanks to being slammed by the snowstorm since the 26th, so it was a nice distraction. I took a picture of the inside before I gave up last night cos I thought it was pretty nifty:

I haven't seen anywhere with the Series 3 minifigures yet, I'm hoping Target will carry them like they did with the others but I'm not holding my breath.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Got this for my son for Christmas, and we had lots of fun with it. The difficulty level seems to be all over the map though, there's some hard things in the easy pile I thought were harder than the 3 star ones.

My son is better at it than me, his great wall of china and monorail were great.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Arkannoyed posted:

Found some series 2 figs at Border's today; got a mime, adventurer, and Mexican.

The Borders in Beaverton, OR, has a large display by the registers with at least two boxes of Series 2 out.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I've picked up a few sets lately for really cheap from places like Marshall's and thrift stores, but goddamn, every time I see the Slave I set, I want to tuck it under my arm and take it home with me. It's so expensive though! But it's so awesome!
I don't even know if I'd have a place to put it but dammit it's Boba Fett. :(

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I've picked up a few sets lately for really cheap from places like Marshall's and thrift stores, but goddamn, every time I see the Slave I set, I want to tuck it under my arm and take it home with me. It's so expensive though! But it's so awesome!
I don't even know if I'd have a place to put it but dammit it's Boba Fett. :(

:sigh: Lego, Lucasfilm, or both have priced Star Wars sets out of the range of casual Star Wars and Lego fans. No kidding it's the motherfucking Slave I with one badass clone of a bitch who could make Brick Daddy hand in his pimp license with one slight turn of his helmet.

Even though I have enough christmas money to do so, I'm not going to pick up the new Slave I. Which sucks.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
A chance trip to the Cardiff Lego store paid off as they have series 3 minifigs in stock a bit early! Wasn't in possession of a cheat sheet at the time, but careful obsessive studying of the bumps yielded a nice bunch with only a couple extras if anyone in the UK is willing to trade?

Wanted:
Fisherman
Rapper
Gorilla Suit guy
Female Snowboarder
Tribal Chief

Swapsies:
Elf
Hula Girl
Sumo wrestler

PM me if you're interested!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow. Today was the first time i have seen the minifigs in Ontario. They were just piled into a small bin near the cashier. I grabbed 8, and ended up with:

5 x Hula Girl
1 x Rapper
2 x Snowboarder

Woo.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Walmart finally got a few boxes of series 3 on the shelf, managed to snag:

Samurai x2
Pilot x3

Luckily I figured out the dots before opening them, so I took 4 back and now have

Samurai
Mummy
Alien
Chief
Baseball Player

There was also a guy and his son going through the bags making a complete set. It was the most :3: sight ever.

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)
I wandered into the local Toys-R-Us and they had two boxes of Series 3 out, both about half empty. After taking a while to try to figure out bumps, I walked out with 12 figs.

Out in the car ... I ended up with all 4 gorilla guys out of one of the boxes somehow, plus an extra pilot.

If anyone has an elf, samurai, Blacktron guy, or Indian for trade, let me know!

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Just a heads up, there's a pretty good sale on the Slave I on Amazon at the moment; $65.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for the info about the cheat sheet for the mini-figs! I've lucked out and not gotten a repeat yet, but this will definitely help make things easier!

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just got Flying Mummy Attack. Can't wait to "swoosh" this plane!