Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
A friend has the Olympus Tough, I think its the MJU Tough 8010. It seems to take good quality basic photos (ie poo poo for facebook), is waterproof, and damage proof. I haven't really played with the settings (or really know much about them) but as someone who is clumsy with expensive things I like the idea of a tough camera.

Basically should I just buy one of those (or another model) or is there a better shock/waterproof option out there? The last camera camera I had got broken (not by me) and I'd like something that takes ok shots but can stand up to some general wear and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
Does anyone know of a "Lomo-style" digital P&S with any or all of the following features?
- Instantly ready to shoot
- Optical viewfinder (not having a screen is good too)
- No focus mechanism of any kind
- No zoom
- A manual frame-advance lever would be fun (I think some expensive brand digital camera has this?)
- Small and light

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Photjojo has tons of crap like that.
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/pocket-square/http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/pocket-square/

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/clover-digital-camera/

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/zumi-digital/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

asteroceras posted:

Does anyone know of a "Lomo-style" digital P&S with any or all of the following features?
- Instantly ready to shoot
- Optical viewfinder (not having a screen is good too)
- No focus mechanism of any kind
- No zoom
- A manual frame-advance lever would be fun (I think some expensive brand digital camera has this?)
- Small and light

What a truly odd set of requirements.

What is even more odd is that I know of a camera that meets them all:

http://www.amazon.com/MINOX-DCC-Leica-Digital-Camera/dp/tech-data/B000LRIU54/ref=de_a_smtd/185-5120895-5120630

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Mijonju is pretty fond of those.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Mijonju is pretty fond of those.
Great now I want to sock that dude in the face.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Buying a shipping container of outdated cell phone camera sensors and charging hipsters $150 for "lo fi" cameras is a pretty smart business model though.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I posted this over in the Gear thread, but they recommended I should post here, so here goes:

I'm relatively inexperienced with photography (I took two or three classes in high school and then another one in college), but would like to start taking some pictures. Currently, the only cameras I own are the lovely camera built into my phone and a very very expensive, heavy, digital camera that isn't technically mine. While the heavy expensive camera takes really good pictures -- when the lens is clean -- it's not practical to carry around all over the place. It'll either get lost, stolen, broken, or maybe some combination of all three.
I ventured into Best Buy the other day just out of curiosity and was looking at some of the cameras. One that caught my eye was this. I want something that is small, lightweight, and able to go from on to taking a picture very quickly, which it does. It takes a very nice picture and has a lot of different options from everything to babies and self portraits, to food and starry skies. I think altogether there were about 20 or so different picture-taking options, along with a bunch of other things in the menu that I didn't explore.
However, I don't want to buy from Best Buy. The camera at Best Buy was $99+, on that website (which is a Best Buy affiliate), it's $84+ used, but it specifies it might come with missing parts and accessories.

So I guess I'm looking for something that won't be missing parts, something cheaper or easier to buy. Help, please?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Borrowed a friend's s90 for the week in Vienna. I took my 5D + 50mm lens also, but didn't want to take the dslr out every time. I stuck the s90 in my coat pocket every time we went out, and didn't even notice it when not using it.

Pros:
* Always with me. Size was so convenient.
* Loved the ring around the lens, I had it set to lens MM equivalents. I was able to use just the lens ring and the exposure adjustment wheel on the back. When aperture doesn't really change dof because of a small sensor, it removes the need to work with aperture/shutter speed for me. I set auto iso, and just let the camera do it's thing.
* surprisingly good IQ when the lighting was good.
* crazy amounts of detail at all ISO levels. I had no idea it would stay so sharp even at iso 1600
* IS was very affective. I was rocking 1/15 of a second at 105mm and still getting sharp images.

Cons:
* adjustment wheel rotates way too easily
* hated the lack of a viewfinder
* lack of blurry backgrounds killed several images for me. My favorites I'm going to manually go in and do some photoshop lens blur to isolate the subject
* the IQ overall just lacks quality compared to the 5D. I know this is a duh moment, but you can see it. If I go in with good high pass contrast increases and sharpening, I can get it 90% of the way there, but out of the camera it's just noticeably less punchy in medium and micro contrast.
* dynamic range on the high ISO shots is crazy low compared to the 5D

Overall I would buy an s90 or s95 from this experience to have an "always with me" camera, but I already put a downpayment to pre order the Fuji x100 and it will fill that niche for me. If I didn't already have a camera, I would get the s90 and be really happy with it for most purposes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

* lack of blurry backgrounds killed several images for me. My favorites I'm going to manually go in and do some photoshop lens blur to isolate the subject
* the IQ overall just lacks quality compared to the 5D. I know this is a duh moment, but you can see it. If I go in with good high pass contrast increases and sharpening, I can get it 90% of the way there, but out of the camera it's just noticeably less punchy in medium and micro contrast.
* dynamic range on the high ISO shots is crazy low compared to the 5D

Overall I would buy an s90 or s95 from this experience to have an "always with me" camera, but I already put a downpayment to pre order the Fuji x100 and it will fill that niche for me. If I didn't already have a camera, I would get the s90 and be really happy with it for most purposes.

I've found with the S90 you're better off zooming in and shooting at f/4.9 (max aperture at that length) than going wide and hoping f/2 will do it for you if you want blurred background.

Have you looked at the Samsung EX1? It uses the same sensor as the S90 and LX3 but it has a much faster lens, especially at the longer end.

Also, if you're not adverse to film, there are lots of great cameras like the Contax T2 or Ricoh GR1s.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I lost my s90 the other day :( I will go to Australia soon and a point and shoot replacement will be nice. What's out in the market for a P&S? A s95?

Speaking of film P&S, any recommendations to take snap shots of people and landscapes? I think a roll of velvia might be nice but it has been ages since I have handled a film P&S? Heck with film cameras so cheap, I might as well buy both. Use the s95/digital as a party camera and the film as my main. However, I'm not so sure about the lenses in the film point and shoots. I have a friend who recommended a Leica CL but I think that's a bit too expensive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

caberham posted:

I lost my s90 the other day :( I will go to Australia soon and a point and shoot replacement will be nice. What's out in the market for a P&S? A s95?

I'd say that was the right answer.

Go and try one in Broadway and there's a good chance you'll hand over your credit card instead of giving back the camera,

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

caberham posted:

Speaking of film P&S, any recommendations to take snap shots of people and landscapes? I think a roll of velvia might be nice but it has been ages since I have handled a film P&S? Heck with film cameras so cheap, I might as well buy both. Use the s95/digital as a party camera and the film as my main. However, I'm not so sure about the lenses in the film point and shoots. I have a friend who recommended a Leica CL but I think that's a bit too expensive.
The lenses on most of the premium film P&S cameras will wipe the floor with most digital lenses. We're talking pretty much the same quality as an SLR. The aforementioned T2 and GR1s are both excellent cameras, but they are one of many.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

gregarious Ted posted:

A friend has the Olympus Tough, I think its the MJU Tough 8010. It seems to take good quality basic photos (ie poo poo for facebook), is waterproof, and damage proof. I haven't really played with the settings (or really know much about them) but as someone who is clumsy with expensive things I like the idea of a tough camera.

Basically should I just buy one of those (or another model) or is there a better shock/waterproof option out there? The last camera camera I had got broken (not by me) and I'd like something that takes ok shots but can stand up to some general wear and tear.

I always tell people to go with the Canon D10 if their budget for a camera is $250 or more. It's a solid Canon P&S that works underwater.

Personally I use a S90 with a Canon underwater housing which works great, but costs a lot more money.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm having trouble deciding between the Canon S95 and the Panasonic Lumix LX5. I know that the S95 is the overwhelming favorite in this thread (and the world) but the Lumix looks like a great camera as well. I want a P&S for traveling and taking photos on hikes and learning more about photography, so a camera that can fit in my pocket is nice (S95), but not completely necessary. I've read the review comparing the two from DPreview twice, but I'm still having trouble deciding. The Lumix is currently on sale for $399 on Amazon, so the prices are the same. If I would have known about the S95 Black Friday deal I wouldnt be asking! Any advice would be awesome!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Iron Lung posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between the Canon S95 and the Panasonic Lumix LX5. I know that the S95 is the overwhelming favorite in this thread (and the world) but the Lumix looks like a great camera as well. I want a P&S for traveling and taking photos on hikes and learning more about photography, so a camera that can fit in my pocket is nice (S95), but not completely necessary. I've read the review comparing the two from DPreview twice, but I'm still having trouble deciding. The Lumix is currently on sale for $399 on Amazon, so the prices are the same. If I would have known about the S95 Black Friday deal I wouldnt be asking! Any advice would be awesome!

Honestly the ring around the lens on the s90/95 makes it. I was able to shoot using only the ring and exp dial on the back and nothing else. I had the LX2 and it just wasn't as slick to use, plus the much larger size.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just got the s95, hopefully won't lose it this time, but I did have a slight buyer's remorse as I played with the Samsung EX 1 afterwards. Very nice UI, bright LCD screen, and a fast 1.8 lens. According to the sales staff though, macro function is limited compared to other p&s.

And I will not get a Rich GR1s anytime soon. It was hard to find and when I did find a few, the camera collector stores were selling from USD 360-514 (2800 - 4000). I did see a beat up Olympus X2A and X4A for USD 130, maybe I need to do more research. Or stop buying things and start reading/looking at more photos/shooting. Premium film point and shoots are very tempting as all the old manual focus lenses have been snapped up by NEX/PEN users.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

caberham posted:

Just got the s95, hopefully won't lose it this time, but I did have a slight buyer's remorse as I played with the Samsung EX 1 afterwards. Very nice UI, bright LCD screen, and a fast 1.8 lens. According to the sales staff though, macro function is limited compared to other p&s.

And I will not get a Rich GR1s anytime soon. It was hard to find and when I did find a few, the camera collector stores were selling from USD 360-514 (2800 - 4000). I did see a beat up Olympus X2A and X4A for USD 130, maybe I need to do more research. Or stop buying things and start reading/looking at more photos/shooting. Premium film point and shoots are very tempting as all the old manual focus lenses have been snapped up by NEX/PEN users.

Film point and shoots also have the size advantage since they can do all sort of crazy things like retracting lenses and lenses that go to within millimeters of the film.

I agree that the GR1s is hard to find and can be pricey. The only reason I have one is because I got a good deal on Craigslist from some pro that was dumping his film gear. The only downside is that a 28mm lens isn't good for everything. A 35mm or 40mm lens is a far better universal lens. I prefer the GR1s over the T2 as far as controls, ergonomics, weight and size go, but the lens on the T2 is fantastic. If you can't spend a lot of money, try an Olympus Stylus, the older one with the black body and the f/3.5 lens. They're dirt cheap and as long as you don't need the f/2.8 of the Stylus Epic, they're just as good as the Epic. The downside with the Styluses is that there's very little control or information so you don't know exactly what the camera is focusing on or what shutter speed it's using and you can't pick aperture like you can on the better point and shoots.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Haggins posted:

I always tell people to go with the Canon D10 if their budget for a camera is $250 or more. It's a solid Canon P&S that works underwater.

Personally I use a S90 with a Canon underwater housing which works great, but costs a lot more money.

Yeah I did a bit more research and found that that seems like the most recommended option, but I kind of hate the look of it (at least in pics, haven't seen it in store). It looks like a preteen girl's camera. The Lumix TS2 seems like it's better than the Olympus and doesn't look so stupid and would probably fit in a pocket better than the rounded Canon thing.

I guess I should check them out in person.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I did a lot of research a few months ago and ended up recommending the Panny TS1 to my brother for a durable, waterproof camera, and he loves it. The TS2 is supposed to be even better. From what I found, the TS1/TS2 don't go quite as deep/aren't quite as durable as the Olympus 8xxx Tough series, for example, but they put out the best IQ of any waterproof compact right now. The video quality is great, too, which is a standout feature in this class, and WAY better than the D10, Olys, or Pentaxes I've seen footage from.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Iron Lung posted:

Does the LX5 have a removable lens cap? It doesn't seem like a big deal but that was what killed it for me with the LX3. I don't want to have to worry about it or have it dangling on a string all the time. The s90/s95 has a regular, internal lens cap/shutter thingy.

Jeez caberham, you're going to overtake mannequin as the reining champion of photo gear damage and loss if you're not careful ;)

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

spf3million posted:

Jeez caberham, you're going to overtake mannequin as the reining champion of photo gear damage and loss if you're not careful ;)
Speaking of gear damage, I got my S95 back from Canon. The "optical assembly" failed, with the early sign being a red line of pixels on images taken at a certain combo of ISO and Shutter, and the later signs being a total failure to operate and a lens error message on boot. It was still under warranty and Canon got the camera, fixed it for free, and sent it back with haste. A++++, would buy again.

Gonna post some Florida pics in the next day or two, mainly just to gloat about winter.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Would one of you buy this case/strap and write a detailed review please? Thanks :)

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
The only thing I hate about my S90 is the lack of a viewfinder. If a point and shoot with a good viewfinder exists I would consider trading for it. What would you believe to be the point and shoot with the best viewfinder?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

The only thing I hate about my S90 is the lack of a viewfinder. If a point and shoot with a good viewfinder exists I would consider trading for it. What would you believe to be the point and shoot with the best viewfinder?

Canon G12? It actually has a viewfinder, so that kind of automatically puts it ahead of the pack. The Samsung EX1 has an add-on viewfinder, but it's a fixed focal length one, so it won't zoom with the lens like the G12's. I think you're going to have to venture into m4/3 type of territory if you want an actual EVF.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Fiannaiocht posted:

Or if you happen to not mind a fixed 35mm equivalent, wait for the new x100. (I already pre ordered).

I am about to order an 8x10 blurb book where the images are a mishmash from the s90 and 5D with 50mm lens. Really interested to see how similar they end up in print, as I can fairly easily distinguish them on the screen, though not terribly so. Wondering if it will become more or less apparent in print.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fiannaiocht posted:

As HPL says, the G12 is basically the S90 but with an optical viewfinder instead of the 2nd control ring. It's a big ol bugger though.

I was going suggest an add on optical viewfinder (until I remembered that the S90 doesn't have a hotshoe) and had a quick look at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=optical+viewfinder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Take a look at the prices. Keep scrolling down until you see what Lindhof want to charge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Nikon Coolpix P7000 has an optical viewfinder. It appears to be a fine camera, but not quite up to the standard set by Canon and Panasonic (just like their SLRs :xd:).

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My sister just got a G12, and I played around with it for a bit the other day. The optical viewfinder seemed pretty small and not very useful to me, so definitely try it out first. The camera's controls were really nice though, better than most entry level DSLRs IMO. Even has an ISO dial!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

My sister just got a G12, and I played around with it for a bit the other day. The optical viewfinder seemed pretty small and not very useful to me, so definitely try it out first. The camera's controls were really nice though, better than most entry level DSLRs IMO. Even has an ISO dial!

Same here. One look through the g12 viewfinder assured me I'd never use it, making the s90/95 much more attractive.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

FasterThanLight posted:

Yup. If my G9's viewfinder tunnel is any indication, it's pretty much neigh useless for any serious composition, it's quite dark (obviously still beats live-view LCD) and it has parallax error, so any near field composition made with is is useless. Also you see your lens barrel at the wide end.

But, even so the G-series body always had nice control dials, and more importantly to me a nice feel. It's a bulky camera but that makes it easy to grip and steady. Also it beats the S90/95 with a bit more telephoto. (28-140mm vs 28-105mm)

Personally I have the S90 and I like it very much. But sometimes I wish, especially in low light, that it was a bit easier to grip/more substantial.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 28, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

VomitOnLino posted:

Personally I have the S90 and I like it very much. But sometimes I wish, especially in low light, that it was a bit easier to grip/more substantial.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store...__utmk=24703418

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

This too:

http://www.cameraleather.com/canon_digital/S90/

I have this on my M5, looks and feels nice.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

This too:

http://www.cameraleather.com/canon_digital/S90/

I have this on my M5, looks and feels nice.

That actually looks pretty snazzy with the front leatherette. The other pads ruin it aesthetically, though I'm sure it makes it more functional.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Olympus XZ-1 is looking like it might be a nifty camera. 10MP LX5 sensor, 28-112mm equivalent f/1.8-2.5 lens, HD video. Sort of like a one-up on the Samsung EX1.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/XZ1/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

Olympus XZ-1 is looking like it might be a nifty camera. 10MP LX5 sensor, 28-112mm equivalent f/1.8-2.5 lens, HD video. Sort of like a one-up on the Samsung EX1.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/XZ1/

Indeed, looks ownage! http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/ if you read carefully, it stays at f/2.2 till 100mm, which is amazing. Wonder if it's ring can stop you at lens presets like the s90/95?

Does the X100 count as a point and shoot? There was some updates and man, I cannot wait for this camera, every update seems nicer and nicer.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/story/craftsmanship

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I too am very excited about the x100 even though I have no business buying another camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
More XZ-1 info:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/olympus_xz-1_hands-on_photos/

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
Any word on price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL