Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Jones and Antimony have just potentially angered a GOD.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rei_ posted:

Jones and Antimony have just potentially angered a GOD.

:ohdear:
Jones doesn't seem afraid. I know that her emotions are really more like on emotion, and it's boredom, but she's just like, whatever. We didn't get to see her reaction shot to Antimony breaking the news, but she seemed certain she could take Annie.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I assume she's their Ace in the Hole for dealing with the forest. I mean they had Eglamore, and he was closer, but they sent Jones instead.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Oh man, I figured Coyote was at least aware of this from his phrasing when he was talking about Renard being trapped in the court ("Tricked! One of my own, tricked!") but apparently he wasn't aware Surma was a factor?

I wish it was Wednesday so we had another update :ohdear:

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 27, 2010

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ it's the Dramapocalypse. The Dragmarok. Dramefcon 5. How many loving bombs can Tea-San drop in a single episode?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
All the bombs.

All of them.

wait wrong webcomic

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Huh, I don't read the final panel as the Coyote being shocked, or angry. (And even if I did, I wouldn't trust that to be his real emotion.) I think he's thinking about how to take advantage of the situation, since Annie is at least temporarily on his side.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Rei_ posted:

I assume she's their Ace in the Hole for dealing with the forest. I mean they had Eglamore, and he was closer, but they sent Jones instead.

I'm not sure I would interpret it quite like that. I don't think Jones is anyone's ace in the hole. Remember that while she lives and works at the Court, she has said before that she's not really on either side of the conflict. I doubt the leadership of the Court could send Jones to retrieve Annie if she didn't already think it was a good idea.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
drat. Either the next page is going to be Coyote breaking out in laughter or everything is going to hell.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Jones is a goddess, there's no other explanation about her behavior. Not to mention that there was a previous encounter (confrontation?) between her and Coyote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

Huh, I don't read the final panel as the Coyote being shocked, or angry. (And even if I did, I wouldn't trust that to be his real emotion.) I think he's thinking about how to take advantage of the situation, since Annie is at least temporarily on his side.

I don't think so. Coyote's been having the time of his life for the last two pages, and then his mood suddenly flatlines as soon as Annie speaks up. That's definitely a "...come again?" kind of expression he's got right now.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah thats a "Im not loving around" kind of a face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Next panel: Coyote laughing hysterically at how good a prank that is.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I have a feeling that Coyote will tell Annie that she again has only half the picture and will then reveal that her mom was actually working with Coyote to pull the ultimate prank on Renyard. Then all parties will laugh at the foolishness, cept Jones, she will just look on all :effort:.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I wonder if Jones has an alternate form. I think it's pretty cool how she seems to handle every situation with the same uninterested/laid back attitude.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

I wonder if Jones has an alternate form. I think it's pretty cool how she seems to handle every situation with the same uninterested/laid back attitude.

Be cooler if there was no alternate form. She can handle poo poo, because she's Jones.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

$.02 on Coyote laughing. This doesn't feel dramatic enough for me. Coyote will probably just laugh and go "Reynardine was always a gullible one! Hahah!"

Or he'll go psycho berserk and Jones will go all robot ninja on some fools.

I secretly want the latter.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well Coyote already knew Reynard was tricked. I recall he said as much in a conversation with Annie about it - he said he was so sad to hear his own cousin was tricked!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Just not by Surma herself apparently, from the look of his face in the last panel. I guess there are even some things even Coyote does not know.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I'm torn between 'Coyote didn't know Surma tricked Reynard' and 'not only did Coyote know, he was the one who suggested it to her'.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Either the Court medium enjoys some special privileges in terms of the Forest, or Surma does. Not just anybody is allowed to wander around there willy-nilly. So what he's finding out here is that the trust extended in the form of those privileges was betrayed.

The consequences could potentially be worse than him just throwing a nutter on the next page. If the Court's agreement that allows them to have a negotiator in the first place sets boundaries on that person's behavior (which would be reasonable), this could scotch the whole thing. If he was letting Annie into the forest at least partially in Surma's memory, he might also kick her out right now.

Sarinnanashi
Dec 27, 2004

I'm sure there is a reason for this, but I don't think I want to know it.

Sulevis posted:

She could be the eye of Odin, you know. Or one of his seeing-eye ravens.
I support this hypothesis. I mean, there has been a Valkyrie at the school before, right?

Edit: Well now that I think about it, wasn't Odin's eye kept at the bottom of the Well of Wisdom? Odin gained the ability to see past, present, and future which could refer to the wandering aspect but the eye was supposed to stay put to show humanity what Odin was willing to do for them. Now Raven the trickster of Native American folklore created humanity and stole the Sun. More than enough power to take down Coyote.

Also Tea-san, the fact that people are asking so many questions means you're making a bang-up mystery! It's annoying, but it is a sign that many people read and enjoy your work. Also, I must commend you for your great deal of knowledge on folklore and ancient symbols.

Sarinnanashi fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 28, 2010

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Sarinnanashi posted:

Also, I must commend you for your great deal of knowledge on folklore and ancient symbols.

Seconded, it's why I love the comic. I aspire to be you.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am going with "Coyote knows, and the next panel will be him somberly saying 'I know.'"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

rotinaj posted:

I am going with "Coyote knows, and the next panel will be him somberly saying 'I know.'"

"...and so did you."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Have we ever seen Coyote without his teeth showing before?

This page made me wonder something in a roundabout way. Eglamore said that indoors, at close range, Jones would flatten him. He uses a sword. Is it meant to be implied that he would have had a better chance with more room to move? I figured that has probably already been asked either in the gunnerkrigg forum's question thread or the formspring, but there are a few too many questions to sift through, so I was hoping someone remembered.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

When Coyote stops smiling the tectonic plates start breaking apart.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Have we ever seen Coyote without his teeth showing before?

Yup.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This page made me wonder something in a roundabout way. Eglamore said that indoors, at close range, Jones would flatten him. He uses a sword. Is it meant to be implied that he would have had a better chance with more room to move?

That's the impression I got.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

We've seen that Eglamore is a pretty jumpy and runny kind of fighter. I would assume that Jones is more dexterous but Eglamore is more agile.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGravin posted:

We've seen that Eglamore is a pretty jumpy and runny kind of fighter. I would assume that Jones is more dexterous but Eglamore is more agile.
All those clay/robot bits give Jones a huge whack of inertia. She fights like a gun emplacement.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I tend to agree. Eglamore's powers seem to involve being able to get around very, very quickly. So with lots of open space he could probably stay out of her reach for quite a long time. Whether that translates into a win depends on what his objective is, and whether he has any kind of weapon that can even hurt her. (We've seen her punch through solid rock and have a sword bounce off her face, so it's not clear that he does, but if "win" is defined as "stop her from doing something" or "immobilize her temporarily" that might be achievable.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guava posted:

Seconded, it's why I love the comic. I aspire to be you.

Not to mention he's incredibly dilligent. He says he has a buffer of at least 30 strips and 7 out of 10 of his tweets refer to him "just finishing a couple more pages".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Not to mention he's incredibly dilligent. He says he has a buffer of at least 30 strips and 7 out of 10 of his tweets refer to him "just finishing a couple more pages".

I can't remember the comic ever missing an update. He'll go to Spain or America or whatever and it just means comments don't show up right away. When there are any of the things that would generally be considered filler (that guest week, or City Face), there are usually MORE things posted in a week than usual. I wish more webcomic authors were even half this dedicated.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
And so begins the Tom is a robot/Tom is not a robot debate.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Fuego Fish posted:

And so begins the Tom is a robot/Tom is not a robot debate.

Tom is a cybernetic servant of the Queen.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tom is a webcomic golem, a body composed of webcomics and given life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

Yup.

The only other time he stopped smiling (or shouting) was when he accidentally depressed Annie by bringing up her mother.

Boy, Surma's mention sure does have a habit of sucking the joy out of a room!

edit: and reading onward from Heliotrope's link, I see that right after Coyote mentions Muut's poker face, we get a full-face panel of Jones.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 28, 2010

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Tom is Wandering Eye.

Wait...

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Oxxidation posted:

The only other time he stopped smiling (or shouting) was when he accidentally depressed Annie by bringing up her mother.
Actually Coyote doesn't smile during his introduction scene until he starts talking to Annie. Maybe he isn't as universally fun-loving as we'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

rotinaj posted:

Words, yes. Somberness, no. Not only is he grinning again, he appears to be going non-Euclidean, or possibly Super Saiyan...