Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiasra
Jun 3, 2008
Can anyone comment on how HOMM3 The Shadow of Death compares to the base game and Armageddon's Blade? I recall I enjoyed playing them back in the day, but I've never really heard anything about Shadow of Death (didn't even know it existed for ages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It adds a bunch of cool stuff, namely new campaigns, and the new combination artifacts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kiasra posted:

Can anyone comment on how HOMM3 The Shadow of Death compares to the base game and Armageddon's Blade? I recall I enjoyed playing them back in the day, but I've never really heard anything about Shadow of Death (didn't even know it existed for ages).

If you liked playing campaigns, Shadow of Death should be right up your alley: They really hit the sweet spot on the difficulty without making it punishingly hard like in Armageddon's Blade.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sniper Elite trip report: The thing with games of this type, is half that they're flawed in some way, half that they deliberately depart from some of the usual FPS tropes in favor of their own vision of what a stealth snipe shooter should be. That's asking for trouble.

For the player, the challenge is in trying to figure out the way the game wants to be played, get around the finicky bits and see if there's any gameplay worth playing. Then, deciding whether to continue playing it or not.

So far, I've fiddled around with the first level, experimenting, not getting in too deep. I'm trying to see what I can get away with, how dopey the AI is versus how punishing the scripting is. Games like this are basically bloody puzzle games, where you have to figure out one of several different ways to get your objective. However, with a game you're not sure has had enough playtesting, and certainly lacks some documentation, there's a second layer of puzzles: what exactly can you get away with, and what the game actually seems to want you to do.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I like taking my time, which seems to suit the game well. Unfortunately, I have my doubts that the game will ultimately make it worth my while. Probably doesn't help that I'm playing it on the maximum realism. I'm considering following up with a video.

edit: You can shoot the fuel cap on a tank, and it will explode. This sounds pretty dumb, but with all the crawling around you'll be doing, plus the finicky factors in realistic sniping it's actually quite satisfying.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

al-azad posted:

I woke up this morning with an email box full of receipts for terrible games and realized I've once again channeled the spirit of The Grinch. I deeply apologize to the 10 people who received one of the following gifts:

Earthworm Jim 3D

I would play that and love every minute of it. :colbert:

...If it would run. I honestly dunno, even the EWJ1+2 pack won't run at all for me since they 'fixed' it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I played the first two or three levels of Sniper Elite many months ago before getting distracted by something else. It appears to be the kind of game where I am fooling myself about how much is actually going on. I.e. I was creeping around being ultra-stealthy, setting traps, trying to out-think countersnipers... and probably the enemy NPCs are dumb and predictable in reality, but as long as I didn't see behind the curtain I was pretty happy.

To play that methodically though I have to be in a much more patient mood than I usually am these days. Same as with the Thief games.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Question about Planescape: A lot of tips I've seen say speak to your companions often, but the keep repeating the same dialogue. The only "unique" dialog I've gotten is Annah's start romance dialogue, Dhal'ok or whatever's quizzes over the circle he has, the Skull Guy's dialogue after the tomb and the one that helps clear up Nodrom's issues about being separated from his source of energy. After that, it's just the same dialogue. Is companion dialogue on some sort of timer or do I have to do something like max my CHR via Friends or something? I have three mods installed; the bug-fix one, the tweak one and the one that restores unused content. I'm at the point where you have to meet Raven Puzzlewell, which I think should be long enough to unlock most of the dialogue the tips I've seen tips talk about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Question about Planescape: A lot of tips I've seen say speak to your companions often, but the keep repeating the same dialogue. The only "unique" dialog I've gotten is Annah's start romance dialogue, Dhal'ok or whatever's quizzes over the circle he has, the Skull Guy's dialogue after the tomb and the one that helps clear up Nodrom's issues about being separated from his source of energy. After that, it's just the same dialogue. Is companion dialogue on some sort of timer or do I have to do something like max my CHR via Friends or something? I have three mods installed; the bug-fix one, the tweak one and the one that restores unused content. I'm at the point where you have to meet Raven Puzzlewell, which I think should be long enough to unlock most of the dialogue the tips I've seen tips talk about.

I usually spoke to them after a major plot point and then again when I got a new party member because they would tell opinions of each other (Anna and Grace mention something important about a little skull) so I only really talked to my party five or six times max. There's also a unique dialog you probably missed in Fell's after leaving the hidden tomb and speaking with Morte. Personally translate the symbol of torment then have Dak'kon translate it. Keep pressing him about his mistranslation. It also seems like you didn't get Ignus who has an entire tree that unlocks a ton of experience points and magical abilities.

This is a little ahead of your part but I'll keep it as spoiler free as possible.

Be careful about speaking with a certain knight you may find later in the game. He's the most powerful fighter but if you say something wrong he'll kill you (you'll know what I mean when you speak to him). What I did was unlock all of his character specific dialog for massive experience points and then convinced him to kill himself which will net you a ton of xp and prepare you for a tough boss fight in the next section. If you keep this character through the next section then you will miss out on a neat story opportunity and about a million xp but instead get the most powerful weapon in the game. I was playing a mage so the weapon was useless to me so if you don't care more about xp then ditch this character ASAP.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 26, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

al-azad posted:

I woke up this morning with an email box full of receipts for terrible games and realized I've once again channeled the spirit of The Grinch. I deeply apologize to the 10 people who received one of the following gifts:

Master of Orion III
Earthworm Jim 3D
Chaser
Imperial Glory
Beyond Divinity
Lords of the Realm III
Mob Rule
Lionheart
Personal Nightmare
Judge Dredd

Your e-shelf is forever tainted. Merry Xmas

Whew, I'm safe! Despite my email in full view :)
Would've played Judge Dredd, though. :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

al-azad posted:

Master of Orion III
Earthworm Jim 3D
Chaser
Imperial Glory
Beyond Divinity
Lords of the Realm III
Mob Rule
Lionheart
Personal Nightmare
Judge Dredd

Your e-shelf is forever tainted. Merry Xmas

Thanks! Happy Xmas to you too :downs:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you liked playing campaigns, Shadow of Death should be right up your alley: They really hit the sweet spot on the difficulty without making it punishingly hard like in Armageddon's Blade.
Except for the Crag Hack campaign, gently caress that one (at least I always had problems with one, or two of the missions).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

al-azad posted:

I usually spoke to them after a major plot point and then again when I got a new party member because they would tell opinions of each other (Anna and Grace mention something important about a little skull) so I only really talked to my party five or six times max. There's also a unique dialog you probably missed in Fell's after leaving the hidden tomb and speaking with Morte. Personally translate the symbol of torment then have Dak'kon translate it. Keep pressing him about his mistranslation. It also seems like you didn't get Ignus who has an entire tree that unlocks a ton of experience points and magical abilities.

This is a little ahead of your part but I'll keep it as spoiler free as possible.

Be careful about speaking with a certain knight you may find later in the game. He's the most powerful fighter but if you say something wrong he'll kill you (you'll know what I mean when you speak to him). What I did was unlock all of his character specific dialog for massive experience points and then convinced him to kill himself which will net you a ton of xp and prepare you for a tough boss fight in the next section. If you keep this character through the next section then you will miss out on a neat story opportunity and about a million xp but instead get the most powerful weapon in the game. I was playing a mage so the weapon was useless to me so if you don't care more about xp then ditch this character ASAP.

Cool. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a lot of dialogue because people rave about how deep your companions are but whenever I talk to them I get crap I've already done like "annah do u think pharod sux" or "grace tell me about ur brothel".

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
How's Silent Hunter 2? I bought it because it was on sale and I had vague memories of playing one of these games as a kid but apparently it's one of the poo poo ones? Are there any recommended mods for it?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I would recommend paying the extra to get 3 if you can (I grabbed it from Steam for about £5, edit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/15210/ it's £3.74 today). I have 2 but it's pretty old now and not quite as advanced (there's no dynamic campaign IIRC) - still a good game but I was swayed by the awesome lets play for 3 and haven't looked back since.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 27, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

^The price is way lower in the UK. Can you buy it for me and I'll PayPal the expense?

Steam ID is Saoshyant.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
drat, hit a show stopper in outcast it looks like. After getting the first essence stone, I can no longer select a key from my inventory, it just selects the essence stone instead.

I'm pretty much done with it anyway. The graphics engine is interesting from a historical perspective, but the fetch quests feel a bit dated and ludicrous. Still kinda fun though.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So in all the hub-bub about the Steam Sale I forgot to check the Gog sale, and it seems they put the old Bioware stuff on sale for only a few days or something?? Why the hell would they do that? Surely these games are massive sellers and a prolonged sale of said top sellers would have a much better chance of dragging some dollars away from Gabe's bloated, grasping fingers?

Anyway that's just my bitterness seeping through. I wanted the two Baldur's Gates and the two Icewind Dales on sale :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

thorsilver posted:

So in all the hub-bub about the Steam Sale I forgot to check the Gog sale, and it seems they put the old Bioware stuff on sale for only a few days or something?? Why the hell would they do that? Surely these games are massive sellers and a prolonged sale of said top sellers would have a much better chance of dragging some dollars away from Gabe's bloated, grasping fingers?

Anyway that's just my bitterness seeping through. I wanted the two Baldur's Gates and the two Icewind Dales on sale :(

It wasn't much of a sale; they were $7 USD instead of the usual $10.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

closeted republican posted:

It wasn't much of a sale; they were $7 USD instead of the usual $10.

This, this is what Steam has done to us. 30% off? Wake me up when it's 50% at least.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

404notfound posted:

This, this is what Steam has done to us. 30% off? Wake me up when it's 50% at least.

I still got the D&D games during the sale tho; I purchased all of them except NWN (not interested in it) at once, so the sales added up.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

thorsilver posted:

It was clearly something decided by Hasbro and not GoG because it is basically any of the AD&D games that got removed (even Temple of Elemental Evil). My guess is that they were selling so well that they thought they were throwing away money. After all, those Black Isle games are still in the bestsellers list even without being part of the sale.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

kuddles posted:

It was clearly something decided by Hasbro and not GoG because it is basically any of the AD&D games that got removed (even Temple of Elemental Evil). My guess is that they were selling so well that they thought they were throwing away money. After all, those Black Isle games are still in the bestsellers list even without being part of the sale.

Also after briefly ending sales on all Atari titles, they brought them back with a note: "Unfortunately that discount doesn't include the Hasbro licensed RPG titles." So it's probably indeed Hasbro telling GOG to take it easy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yep. It wasn't that much of a sale, though saving a couple bucks if you were buying them in bulk did add up at the end of the day.

I'm kinda annoyed I won't be able to buy Spellforce while it's on sale, though. I burned out my CC in Steam and Gog. On the other hand, I'll have games to last me an eternity.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

404notfound posted:

Hey, that $1.50 I could have saved going from 30% to 50% could buy me a whole game on Steam. As a gamer I am entitled to cheap things or else I'll blog my displeasure for the world to see.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I just want to reiterate how greatful I am to Quasipox for gifting me Blood II. That said, please no one else ever buy that again, thanks. For your health!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I just want to reiterate how greatful I am to Quasipox for gifting me Blood II. That said, please no one else ever buy that again, thanks. For your health!

I don't get the hate. It may not have as ridiculous weapons as the dos predecessor, which i admittedly never played, but it's a fun game in its own right with no big problems to speak of.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Mithaldu posted:

I don't get the hate. It may not have as ridiculous weapons as the dos predecessor, which i admittedly never played, but it's a fun game in its own right with no big problems to speak of.

I didn't find it awful, just...bland.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

but it's a fun game in its own right with no big problems to speak of.

This is so completely contrary to my experience that I must assume you're talking about a different game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mithaldu posted:

Hey, I'm with you. I played a little Blood 2 when I bought it, it's just old enough and I'm just old enough a gamer to enjoy it for what it is. I'm more likely to play through this than I was to finish Black Ops (which I got about halfway through before getting bored).

Then again, there was the part in the second level when the scripted lighting glitched when I went into a sewer, and instead of just dimming, it got darker, and darker, and darker... until the entire level was black. And killworms attached themselves to my neck and no amount of button pounding would shake them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Magnificent Quiver posted:

This is so completely contrary to my experience that I must assume you're talking about a different game.

I played it through start to end when i was about 15 or 16. I remember specifically liking it back then because it was another game with the monolith engine to play after Shogo, but also because dual-wield *anything*.

doctorfrog posted:

Then again, there was the part in the second level when the scripted lighting glitched when I went into a sewer, and instead of just dimming, it got darker, and darker, and darker... until the entire level was black. And killworms attached themselves to my neck and no amount of button pounding would shake them.
Wow, i guess i got lucky.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ah drat, when did the Activision sale end? I just got the hankering to play Kings Quest 6 again, but the packs aren't on sale anymore. Ah well, guess I'll just wait for them to do a KQ bundle or something.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
Is Heroes of Might & Magic III the one to get? I vaguely remember there being a compelling reason to get II instead, but maybe I'm confusing it with another series?

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Is Heroes of Might & Magic III the one to get? I vaguely remember there being a compelling reason to get II instead, but maybe I'm confusing it with another series?

I'm not real certain there is a universally compelling reason for HoMM 2 over 3. I think a lot of people have a fondness for the hand-drawn graphics and especially the music, but afaik HoMM3 is considered the best, gameplay-wise.

You might be thinking of Disciples series, where 3 was pretty much a failure and 2 was real good.

phreaky fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 3, 2011

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

phreaky posted:

I'm not real certain there is a universally compelling reason for HoMM 2 over 3. I think a lot of people have a fondness for the hand-drawn graphics and especially the music, but afaik HoMM3 is considered the best, gameplay-wise.

You might be thinking of Disciples series, where 3 was pretty much a failure and 2 was real good.

Maybe I am - the argument I remember was something like one of the ____ games being better for multiplayer, the other one much better for single player, and one of them had a randomly-generated skirmish mode.

If that doesn't sound like HoMM then looks like I'll be grabbing 3.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Maybe I am - the argument I remember was something like one of the ____ games being better for multiplayer, the other one much better for single player, and one of them had a randomly-generated skirmish mode.

I've never played HOMM multiplayer, but HOMM3's single-player is way better than HOMM2, given the well-constructed campaigns and ability to carry heroes over multiple scenarios.

HOMM3 also has the random map creator - technically HOMM2 had this too after one of the xpacks, but the generated maps were horribly generic and not fun to play at all.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Mithaldu posted:

The game itself is just ehh. Might have been fun years ago but it just has not aged well. It suffers from a great deal of things.

Enemies have pinpoint accuracy and zero reaction time, meaning you're constantly getting killed cheaply and reloading to accomodate for your newfound knowledge of where that one enemy is. The weapons are all progressively worse from the pistol (save for the sawed off), unless of course the baddies are using them in which case they're ridiculous death machines (looking at you assault rifle, and the splash damage when enemies use explosives is just obnoxious). On top of that, the hit detection for headshots is iffy. In fact, it's so iffy that I just assume there are headshots because every now and then I drop people like no one's drat business but most of the time I can't find that sweet spot to save my life (literally). Enemies also like to spawn behind you out of thin air and flank you. Basically, a lot of the poo poo's just really, really cheap. Admittedly, I was playing on the hardest difficulty (out of three different choices), but it's a shame that the game relies on making you weaker and the enemies more ridiculous than, like, increasing enemy count or something interesting.

The game's also dark to a fault and has that terrible flashlight from games of that era where it is really picky about when it wants to show up; since the flaregun's useless in combat that's pretty much what I use it for. Continuing with the theme of ambiguity, there are two types of objects in the game - those that don't look like they'll explode when shot that do, and those that do look like they'll explode that don't. It's not a huge problem, but accidentally shooting a snack machine filled to the brim with TNT or pitchforking an innocent looking cardboard box thinking it might have goodies and getting killed by the resulting nuclear holocaust gets old quick.

Also it's most certainly buggy. Usually the game is at least stable, in that it' only crashed once for me in five or so hours of play. The screen started shaking slowly, and the shaking became more and more violent until the game finally crashed (note that there was no reason for the camera to shake and when I played the part again this didn't happen, at least it was interesting I guess?). There are a ton of little things, though. For example, those bug things like to jump on your head and get stuck. They just kind of spin around really fast on top of you and do no damage, letting you just plug them from the bottom with your sawed off. Also, the last boss of the first chapter wouldn't attack unless I jumped down into some arena, so I just stayed up on the spot where you came in and unloaded into him. I was later thankful for this, since it took a ridiculous amount of time/ammo and I figured out I probably couldn't have beaten him anyways because there doesn't seem to be a way to reliably dodge his attacks. And as revenge for exploiting, I guess, I saved during the following cutscene only to find out that the boss somehow shot off one more laser that killed me every time after it, despite the fact that it was dead. Engine-wise, the game runs at 1440x900 and all common resolutions leading up to that in fullscreen, but you can only run it windowed if you set your ingame resolution to 800x600 and your display's color depth to 16, which is a huge pain in the rear end all around (it didn't seem to interface with the Steam Overlay or Xfire and I was streaming to a friend so not having chat wasn't an option).

But even ignoring all that, the game still isn't that good. There are so many things missing from the first. For one, there is a taunt button to let you be lame as gently caress on command, but there aren't any hidden contextual things you can find for your character to comment on like in the first. Also, the first had all those secret rooms and poo poo, whereas this might have a few items hidden in a dark corner but that's pretty much the full extent of that. And the game is just so much more bland than the first in setting. The first was so wacky, with the carnival and whatnot, whereas Blood 2 is just "oh hey a sewer oh hey a lab oh hey a dark rear end church". The music isn't very good either; a bunch of ambient tracks that play in the background as opposed to some of the awesome songs in the first. And it isn't very scary, though I admit that I lost my loving poo poo the first time I saw one of those bug things. It attacked a civilian and then turned towards me but didn't move, so I inched towards a door nearby to ensure I had an escape route while watching it and it didn't move. When I turned to open the door and turned back, it was right up in my face and I pretty much screamed like a girl. Not one of my finer moments. Also gently caress those facehugger things.

One last thing. The game advertises early on that most weapons have an alt fire, but it doesn't seem you can use it when you dual wield and I've yet to find a way to single wield a weapon I have two of, though maybe I'm just dumb.

It doesn't hold up well today, and even when it came out it's just so inferior to its predecessor in almost every way. I can see the appeal but there are so many better, less frustrating things available on GoG. I enjoyed it because it was a great thing to play while my friend laughed at me getting furious over all the cheap/lame poo poo in the game, but I wouldn't recommend it if you just want to play a game. You're better off getting the first.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Ok, apparently this is an uncommon question -

I'm using a PS3 gamepad with the MotioninJoy software in Freespace 2 (FSOpen) and Windows 7 X64. I think you can just pretend it's just a standard gamepad, though.

What I want to do is decrease the sensitivity of the analog sticks, since they're kind of twitchy. The setting in FS2 is at its minimum, so that's clearly not working. Some forum threads say to use DXTweak 2 (http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm) but it just crashes when I try to start it up.

How the hell do I do this???

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Dirk Muscleton posted:

You're thinking of the Age of Wonders series, although I also can't see many compelling reasons why anyone would choose the second game over the third one in that series either (although I don't know much about multiplayer in those games).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Horrors

I've wondered what made II so bad, since I just recently fell in love with the original. I'm glad that you've "enjoyed" your gift though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I got Master of Orion 2 and I'm trying to play a LAN game; I start a host game and my friend starts a client game, but then my game doesn't show up on the list. I can start a second game on the same pc and join myself no problem.

Do I need to open ports or something even on a local network?