Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheBandOffice posted:

Honestly it doesn't annoy me too much that they got rid of me. I have been on the hunt for a better job for a few weeks (BBY didn't know this) and have a an offer on the table. It's the fact that they did it on loving Christmas Eve. The good news is, as all of the other employees that have been trained are leaving at semester (seriously, everyone besides my manager in the precinct) due to graduation, I will probably be getting a call in the next two months about getting rehired. Which I will only do for a raise to 12/hour.

When I worked at Best Buy (Mobile) it was for $8 an hour plus "commission." I left for Sprint and immediately made $10 an hour, now between wage and real commission I make at least $13-14 just over a year later (and holidays is likely much higher). Plus I got promoted in 6 months, and didn't deal with Best Buy bullshit. There is no amount of money that could get me to work at Best Buy again.

Congrats on the new job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Guni posted:

And Max, I feel your pain I used to work at McDonalds some of the customers there were absolute shithouse

Same, but different fast food brand. If you want free stuff, be a nice person! I had a guy who made the mistake of coming through on a Saturday night. He sat there for fifteen minutes waiting for his one cheeseburger because the guy in front of him wouldn't park in the lot and wait for his 45$ order. I was waiting to get reamed when he pulled up to the window, and when I explained he just said "Hey, no problem, I had no where else to be." He got a free drink, if not a free desert as well.

I'd also throw five or ten "free item (no purchase necessary)" coupons in peoples bags if they weren't being dicks about things out of my control.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I got royally reamed by my DM today at work for daring to recommend a prepaid cell phone to somebody who couldn't afford $75 a month for a contract phone. Sorry, Mr. DM, I have a conscience, if a $25 a month Virgin Mobile phone meets the customer's needs, I'm not going to sell them something that will cost them 3 times as much over two years. I guess that invalidates the fact that I alone have sold more contracts this month than the entire store did last December. :smith:

Only eleven days left until my job interview. Only eleven days left until my job interview. If I get that job, I'll be moving to the "A ticket came in..." thread for my bitching. Hooray!

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I've been sitting on a story now for about a month, but something happened today that cannot go untold.

First, a tragedy of DNA that occurred a few weeks ago. A very fat, stereotypical hick family came into our store one day, asking about the Nintendo DS, telling me they wanted to buy it for their 8 year old son so "he could learn how to read better". While they browsed the games, the equally fat kid starts stamping his foot and spinning in a circle, not in a tantrum way, but a "I'm already bored and full of energy from the McGriddles this morning" way, shouting "Ah only like the games where ya kill people!" I wept for our nations lowered average intelligence.

Today though, this Christmas Eve, I got to do something most of my fellow retail soldiers only dream about. I work for a large game retailer, where you can Stop to trade in your games. Our store has a policy that we don't give our trade in prices over the phone, because one, it takes too much time when we already have only two registers, and two, because there had been too many incidents where we were told an item "looked good" only to see it was a ruined piece of poo poo, and an argument would ensue because "they told me I'd get [x dollars] over the phone!" A person called, asking for some trade in prices. I informed him that our policy was not to give trade prices over the phone, scanning the vortex of chaos ensuing around me, the line spiraling around the store like a gluttonous python, and told him he would have to bring the items in so we could inspect them. He insisted we've done it before (we don't), and after repeating myself, the call ended. He called back a few minutes later, asking to speak to a manager on duty (which was shared between me and the associate he was speaking to), only to be informed the same thing.

The day wore on, and I looked down at the clock. Only fifteen minutes left to go in the shift, and then the sweet bliss of freedom. Then I saw him. One of our most hated customers, walking right through the door. It seemed like every difficult rear end in a top hat had decided to converge on our tiny shop that day, trying to throw every spanner they could into the gears of our poor, chugging machine. He strolls right up to the counter, and says "I want your DM's number! You guys wouldn't give me trade in prices on the phone and I have a disability and :downswords:" Now, contrary what some may think, I don't hate the handicapped, but as far as I can tell, this guy's only disability is his talent for being a stupid rear end in a top hat. No matter how hard you try, he's never pleased, and always makes snarky comments whenever he comes in. I sighed, telling him it's store policy, and begin writing down the DM's number. He tells me that he's "Going to call him and tell him all about how rude we are and..." I cut him off and tell him that he is in fact a she, and tell him her name. He continues on, then wanders to the PSP section, before walking back, and trying to cut to the front of the line. I ask him to move to the back of the line, and he starts with his trademark offended tone of voice that he merely stopped a minute to pick his stuff up, and that was harassing him. He goes to the back after a few more comments, and my eyes dart back to the clock. If I can just stretch out a few more minutes, I'm home free.

I was not that lucky. The woman in front of him comes up to my register, and asks for a gift card. She gives me a sympathetic look, and while I ring up her card, she asks if we still carry Gamecube controllers. I tell her yes, and in fact I can see one right behind her. She walks the 5 feet to get it, and then rear end in a top hat walks up and dumps his trades and various bags on the counter. I say "Hold on a second man, I'm still finishing her transaction..." Again, the offended voice: "I'm just setting my things up here, and I got hit by a car last week...:downswords:" 'The car clearly wasn't going fast enough', I thought. The woman comes back, I finish her transaction, and begin to tell her "Thanks for coming in, and by the way, you have until January 15th to return your items if you don't like them or..." I'm cut off by rear end in a top hat, who says "By the way, in case you haven't heard of the American Disabilities act..." I snapped. That was the last loving straw. I'd had it with assholes all day, I'd had it with this prick's self-entitled attitude, and I'd had it with being cut off. As soon as I heard the word "Disabilities" I shouted "I don't care! I DON'T CARE! I don't want to hear another word!" The entire store went silent, and all eyes were on us. "I don't care what your problem is, I'm sick of your crap. If you want to trade in your games, stop complaining or GET OUT!" He mumbled something about the DM hearing about this, and said that he was ready to trade his games. I told him, "Well, someone else is going to have to do it, because my shift is done. Bye!", and with a stab of my index finger, I was clocked out. It felt like I had mashed the red button on an atomic bomb, and felt vindicated for every poor SOB behind the counter who has to put up with the bad attitude of people who think they can wipe their feet on retail workers.

I marched in the back room, pulled out my cell phone, and called the DM. See kids, here's where it pays to be one of the best ranked employees in customer service, and to have a good rapport with your bosses. I told her exactly what happened, and she said "Eh, it's the holidays, I really don't care. Did you give him my cell or my office number." "Your office number", I replied. "Well, that's a bottom-less pit anyway. I'll never hear from it." "Yeah, I know, that's why I gave it to him". We exchanged stories of Christmas plans, wished each other a happy holidays, and ended the call. I put on my coat, my bag, walked to the front, and with a wave of my hand, wished everyone in the store a merry Christmas, loud enough to make sure the rear end in a top hat heard me.

Merry Christmas indeed.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 25, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Duck_King posted:

Story

gently caress that guy. There isn't a big enough emoticon for a high five.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My day yesterday won't live up to that, but our severely schizophrenic customer who comes in regularly had a freaking breakdown because we stopped selling safety pins in sets of 15. You'd think there was a fire in the store with the way she was acting. It wasn't even that she was just having a temper tantrum, she sounded legitimately freaked the gently caress out. We have boxes of 5 for $1.69 and boxes of like 150 for $4.99 or something.

This woman is not OK. She eats bibles and sees the devil. She started screaming about how SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG, I NEED MY 15 SAFETY PINS. I NEED THEM. I NO LONGER HAVE AN OPTION AND YOU GUYS ARE IGNORING ME. CALL THE MANAGER RIGHT NOW (it was her day off, I don't have her home number). THIS IS VERY WRONG THERE'S NO OPTIONS.

Look lady the manufacturer stopped making them. We already can't stand her, she freaks customers out and scares them away. I'm the only person who has some experience with being around the mentally ill, so I'm usually pretty nice to her, let her talk and poo poo. She told me her mom is evil because she say 6ft devil horns behind her head, and I just told her "Wow! That must be so scary".

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 25, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I got royally reamed by my DM today at work for daring to recommend a prepaid cell phone to somebody who couldn't afford $75 a month for a contract phone. Sorry, Mr. DM, I have a conscience, if a $25 a month Virgin Mobile phone meets the customer's needs, I'm not going to sell them something that will cost them 3 times as much over two years. I guess that invalidates the fact that I alone have sold more contracts this month than the entire store did last December. :smith:

Only eleven days left until my job interview. Only eleven days left until my job interview. If I get that job, I'll be moving to the "A ticket came in..." thread for my bitching. Hooray!

I hate bullshit like that. If the store is hitting quota and you are outselling anyone they have no reason to bitch unless you are stealing or losing a shitload of inventory. And they still get residuals off of Virgin Mobile, so they actually would make more money vs signing someone on Sprint, then they cancel in 5 months and no one gets paid.

On another note like this, Sprint has completely hosed up the Boost and Virgin Mobile sales portals, so literally we could sell them but we would get no residuals. Which means the store makes about $20. Awful. So we don't even bother stocking it (my location is in a rich area anyway) but Sprint insists that we leave up pamphlets for them. So irritating when I have the occasional customer and basically lose a sale.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I pick up some plastic shoeboxes today at Target for my mom. She's glad I did. Until she sees that one of them has a crack along the top of the box. And thank gods we're at home because she flips the gently caress out how Target employees break the poo poo and now we have to take it back and she threw out the receipt and took off the stickers already, and....meltdown. She told me to take the box back for an exchange, then realized I wouldn't, then realized she could order me to and now the box is sitting on the kitchen table, perfectly usable still. But goddamnit. It's a four dollar box, I don't want to wait in line forever to exchange it, and we have no receipt or proof the box came from Target.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Cowslips Warren posted:

I pick up some plastic shoeboxes today at Target for my mom. She's glad I did. Until she sees that one of them has a crack along the top of the box. And thank gods we're at home because she flips the gently caress out how Target employees break the poo poo and now we have to take it back and she threw out the receipt and took off the stickers already, and....meltdown. She told me to take the box back for an exchange, then realized I wouldn't, then realized she could order me to and now the box is sitting on the kitchen table, perfectly usable still. But goddamnit. It's a four dollar box, I don't want to wait in line forever to exchange it, and we have no receipt or proof the box came from Target.

Go back to Target in a couple days. Before you go to the service desk, go grab another box with the UPC still on it and tell them you just need a new lid. I know every place is different and that may get you chopped to bits and served in the lunchroom there, but at my store that'd be a perfectly acceptable way to handle it.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Go back to Target in a couple days. Before you go to the service desk, go grab another box with the UPC still on it and tell them you just need a new lid. I know every place is different and that may get you chopped to bits and served in the lunchroom there, but at my store that'd be a perfectly acceptable way to handle it.

This seems really odd and makes me think "scam" off the bat (even though I know its not. Maybe I've overly suspicious in general from retail). I've found that just going to the service desk and saying "Hey, this is broken and I didnt realize it. I don't have the receipt, but I just want to do a straight exchange, is that ok" has worked in my favor. They can always damage it out and send it back to the manufacturer.

edit: this is for low cost items like plastic boxes. if its something of value, youre probably hosed unless someone is feeling trustworthy/generous.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

2508084 posted:

This seems really odd and makes me think "scam" off the bat (even though I know its not. Maybe I've overly suspicious in general from retail). I've found that just going to the service desk and saying "Hey, this is broken and I didnt realize it. I don't have the receipt, but I just want to do a straight exchange, is that ok" has worked in my favor. They can always damage it out and send it back to the manufacturer.

edit: this is for low cost items like plastic boxes. if its something of value, youre probably hosed unless someone is feeling trustworthy/generous.

Yeah the fact that it's a $4 shoebox makes this whole thing very easy for all parties. The way I told him to do it is just the way that would present zero problems for me come return-time, being on the employee side of the counter.

He seemed to be worried about proving it's actually from Target, and the easy way to do that is to show them one that scans into their system. I work service at Walmart and say you bring a shirt in to return or exchange but you don't have the tag, I'm gonna need you to go grab another shirt so I can match UPCs to the receipt (this is a bad example because most shirts have a UPC on the inner tag but it's an example nonetheless).

Anyways, avoid the crowd and go back in a day or two. Calmly explain the situation to the person at the desk, and they'll tell you what they'd like you to do :) If you tell them internet poster caveman thug poo poo told you to go grab boxes and barcodes they'll think you're weird so don't do that ok!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

If you tell them internet poster caveman thug poo poo told you to go grab boxes and barcodes they'll think you're weird so don't do that ok!

I told someone at starbucks this and got my grande frappucino upsized to a venti so YMMV!

Here's a not-low-content story!:

I worked for a grocery store, as a cashier, back in 2006. A woman comes up with her items and a WIC check. For those not in the know, WIC is Womens, Infants and Children, a program to help mothers afford food for themselves and their children (milk, cereal, juices, etc). Its CORPORATE POLICY, and a law, to see ID for all of these purchases. It would be awful if a wic check got stolen and some mother and her children didn't get their food. I told the lady I'd need to see her ID. She outright tells me its not her check ("its my daughters")and I refuse to complete the transaction. She says she has a baby in the car and I need to just accept the check. Its 90 degrees with 80% humidity* (*made up, but it was dry and hot as hell) and she just said she left a small child in a car. Her cart wasn't exactly empty either, what the hell? I call my manager over who tells me to put the transaction through because the lady is losing her poo poo. I refuse to do so, because its against the law, and my manager does it under my numbers. I quit a few weeks later.

I even tried to save face with the lady, telling her she wouldnt want us to let anyone who had stolen her purse to run her credit cards. She replied with "No one would ever steal my purse!!!"

:what:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

2508084 posted:

I told someone at starbucks this and got my grande frappucino upsized to a venti so YMMV!

Here's a not-low-content story!:

I worked for a grocery store, as a cashier, back in 2006. A woman comes up with her items and a WIC check. For those not in the know, WIC is Womens, Infants and Children, a program to help mothers afford food for themselves and their children (milk, cereal, juices, etc). Its CORPORATE POLICY, and a law, to see ID for all of these purchases. It would be awful if a wic check got stolen and some mother and her children didn't get their food. I told the lady I'd need to see her ID. She outright tells me its not her check ("its my daughters")and I refuse to complete the transaction. She says she has a baby in the car and I need to just accept the check. Its 90 degrees with 80% humidity* (*made up, but it was dry and hot as hell) and she just said she left a small child in a car. Her cart wasn't exactly empty either, what the hell? I call my manager over who tells me to put the transaction through because the lady is losing her poo poo. I refuse to do so, because its against the law, and my manager does it under my numbers. I quit a few weeks later.

I even tried to save face with the lady, telling her she wouldnt want us to let anyone who had stolen her purse to run her credit cards. She replied with "No one would ever steal my purse!!!"

:what:

I used to work nights back when I did my time at a grocery store (oh Wegmans how i don't miss you) and there was a regular customer where it just got to the point where i would ring my manager as soon as she was coming through my lane. Lady lived off food stamps, and always got all these ridiculously expensive items (i swear she always had lobster tails and shrimp). So the end of the checkout is her finding out she didn't have enough and then we would have to sort through and "find what items she might be able to do without." It was awful. She had bright purple hair so she at least made herself easy to spot. Extremely rude as well.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Ugh, I had many stories to tell on here but (probably thankfully) I've forgot a lot of them at this point. I'm just glad the holiday shopping is mostly over.

Anyway, my store is at a VERY huge mall. We get a gigantic number of transacations a day and only have maybe... 100 shopping carts. On a usual busy Saturday we'll have carts for most of the day, and only run out near the evening. However, during Christmas we can easily run out before the day is even halfway over.

So I'm walking from the back of my store to the front, getting ready to put out some more of the returns we've taken in. One of our associates is talking to a customer near one of the cart corrals. At first it seems like the lady is talking about how it sucks that we have to put returns and whatnot up during the day without a very big staff... then I realize she instead is getting ready to suffer a nuclear explosion because she's enraged that we don't have any carts at 5PM on the day before Christmas Eve.

(Oh, by the way, the conversation / screaming at the worker was taking place next to a cart of returns that was stuffed about a foot over the top)

:sweatdrop: - Coworker
:byodame: - Raging whore
:blush: - Sheepish older lady

:byodame: Well I don't think it's fair that I can't come in here and have a cart to do my shopping with.
:sweatdrop: I know, I'm sorry ma'am, the only reason we have this cart right now is someone left it and the returns and items left behind were piling up so much that the cashiers couldn't walk behind the counter.
:byodame: Well you should do something else to get it out faster, because I shouldn't have to come in here and find no carts! Why don't you have any carts in here?!
:sweatdrop: We had 300 carts this morning, but with how busy it is people pull them out of the store and we never get them back. We've been out for a long time and it's hard for us to go around the mall and collect them with how it is right now.
(By the way, the mall is a mile around. On the inside)
:byodame: Well I don't care! You shouldn't let that happen!
:sweatdrop: I'm sorry but we can't really stop them from leaving the store with the carts.
:byodame: WELL THAT DOESN'T MATTER AND I DON'T CARE! I WANT A CART AND EVERYONE ELSE DOES AND IT'S loving UNFAIR THAT NO ONE ELSE IN HERE CAN HAVE CARTS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING AND THAT'S WRONG AND THIS ISN'T HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE I NEED A CART TO SHOP AND SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE SO YOU SHOULD HAVE CARTS IN HERE FOR ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!
:sweatdrop: Well ma'am there really isn't anything I can do about it. The manager is right over here if you'd like to talk to him about it.
:byodame: YES I WOULD! I'LL SPEAK TO THE MANAGER **RIGHT** NOW!

So of course she goes over ranting and raving and waving her arms in the air about how "SHE SAID YOU HAD 300 CARTS THIS MORNING SO THERE IS NO WAY YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO KEEP THEM AND HAVE THEM IN HERE FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS LIKE ME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!" etc.

At this moment an older lady has been watching the explosion off to the side. I turn to her, greet her, and ask if I can help her with anything.

:blush: Oh... Well I just had back surgery recently and it still hurts for me to walk around some. I was kind of hoping to be able to get a cart to lean on... but I guess I'm out of luck on that.

So at this point I'm about to tell her I'll go look for one in the parking lot for her really quickly to see if I can find one for her. When suddenly-

:blush: Are... are we not allowed to use that cart right there?

She points over and there was a cart sitting in the corral. It had been there the whole time. It was about five feet away from where the :byodame: was screaming at my coworker.... And she was actually standing next to the corral with her hand resting on it while yelling at the manager (still).

So I tell her she is, that I have no idea how the other lady never saw it... I walked over and pulled the cart out. The great part is that the angry whore heard the cart moving and looked over just as I pulled it past her hand and handed it off to the other lady. You could see her shoulders slump... and the manager later told me the look of defeat on her face at seeing the last cart had been there the whole time and was just given to another customer was priceless.

Of course my manager had to somewhere in the middle of her insane screaming say: "I'll go look around and see if I can find one somewhere for you." Blah.

I bet she got 1 item with her cart and then took it out of the store and left it in the parking lot / mall / up her rear end.

Edit: I also meant to say... I've never actually seen someone who was actually blinded by rage.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Every little part of this poo poo job eats away a tiny piece of my soul day after day. It is no surprise that the rest of the world wants to see America fall 25 feet onto it's neck when you observe the assholes that infest "retail". I keep trying to tell myself that "No, the majority of people in this country are good, honest individuals", but, the self told message gets less clear after every shithouse shift. The smugness, the self-entitled mentality, the rampant superiority complexes, the exploitation, the lieing, the hurting, the total lack of regard for anything aside from that which makes up the self; it all makes me want to suffocate myself with a plastic bag. I work in a coffee shop inside a big box retailer.

For a little above minimum wage, a barista is expected to perform the work of a personal butler for the superior individual. That means placating to their every whim and fancy with the upmost detail. If the latte has too much foam, or too little, you are a horrible monster that requires a verbal flogging, and a reminder of your position in society. This in turn gets forwarded up the chain to a manager who repeats the entire process until the barista is on the verge of tears. So, the barista returns to the base of the espresso machine to repeat this ballet for another person, but not before cleaning up the empty pizza boxes and half eaten breadsticks that litter and grease up the entire top side of a lobbyside table. And, certainly not before getting on one's hands and knees to wipe the floor of a spilled latte at the base of a "guest's" feet, (yes, some people will not move their fat loving asses 6 inches to the right, and actually demand that you clean up spilled drinks that rest under their feet).

The barista is expected to display at all times a fun, exciting, and chipper attitude for no incentive. Tips are not allowed. No incentive is given for selling higher value items. No incentive is given for performing an excellent job. An annual 10 cent raise is all that is given, and the "opportunity" of being there among the clashing carts, beeping registers, parents screaming at their children, people stomping their feet at the prospect of having to wait 3 whole minutes for their precious latte, the horrible churning of blenders, and broken high-pitched milk steamer that I am pretty sure has given me mild tinitus. This is apparently a gift from the almighty especially in these troubling times. We could be out on the street. We could be sleeping under an overpass. But we are not. We are there instead.

Some of the baristas might as well be spending the night in a damp alley. All of the single mother baristas cannot keep their kids fed well, nor can they feed themselves. They live in horrible, overpriced poo poo appartments paying rediculous amounts in fuel costs for their broken down cars; just for the opportunity to wake up, and stand outside the store in the snow at 7 in the morning. At least until the fat fucks inside decide to get off their severly overweight asses, and unlock the door. Sometimes it takes all of 5 minutes. Other times, 15. And, I cannot forget about the horrors these people go through if they ever get sick. The company health insurance is more harmful than helpful with a $10k annual deductible, and a $25k max benefits payout.

The most spiteful thing about this entire situation is that this is normal. In America, it is encouraged to curbstomp the dreams and desires of those who were launched into adulthood during a time of no opportunities. We have all done something wrong, and deserve our menial place at the feet of the overweight overlords who have achieved.... something... which makes their position just. My job is where dreams go to die. I see no escape. Even a loving college education from a Tier 1 school isnt enough to get me out of here.

5 hours from now, I will once again wake up, get in my piece of poo poo car, waste expensive fuel to get to my piece of poo poo job, experience the joy to stand in the snow outside the door, to wait. And wait. Extend a meaningless greating to the obese in red, trod on to the bar, and prepare for another day of pointless abuse. gently caress it.

We still have big red plastic christmas bags laying in unorganized piles under the registers. I suppose I could leave work a little early...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today I went sales shopping.
I overheard one of the ladies who worked there say to her coworker how there was 3 racks of lingerie/swimwear/clothing downstairs... all soiled upon in some way, shape or form. :gonk:

You have my sympathies, retail goons.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

(By the way, the mall is a mile around. On the inside)

Concord Mills?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avalanche posted:

5 hours from now, I will once again wake up, get in my piece of poo poo car, waste expensive fuel to get to my piece of poo poo job, experience the joy to stand in the snow outside the door, to wait. And wait. Extend a meaningless greating to the obese in red, trod on to the bar, and prepare for another day of pointless abuse. gently caress it.

We still have big red plastic christmas bags laying in unorganized piles under the registers. I suppose I could leave work a little early...

I know its easier said than done, but there must be a better retail job to knab than that. Even bagging groceries is easier and pays better than that.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Thank god Thanksgiving and Christmas is over. I had a surprisingly smooth holiday at work. No major incidents and only a few asshat customers (low volume store).

Sadly the good work holiday was offset by me having to ride a bicycle for nearly 3 weeks at 8 miles a day due to a screwed up vehicle and the expenses of repairs and ultimately a new vehicle. May not seem much to some of you, but when you haven't hopped on a bike for 15 years it can be frustrating. Especially when the bike's chain keeps coming off and also have to go up long steep hills.

But back to the point of the thread, a story about the worst customer of the holiday I dealt with:

Customer comes up to me with 2 marked down Boneless Ribeyes from our "reduced to sell" section. They were marked down on level 1 with our mark down machine. There are 3 levels, level 1 is the least reduced and level 3 is the most reduced percentage. We do level 1 in the morning, level 2 at noon, and level 3 at 4pm. This is company policy.

Well this customer came up to me about 9am and put down the two packs of ribeyes on the counter with a smug rear end attitude and said:

Customer - :smugbert:
Me - :raise:

:smugbert: "I want these marked down to level 3."
:raise: "Sure, come back at 4 pm and it'll be done."
:smugbert: "It is your company policy to mark these down to level 3."
:raise: "Not until 4pm, sorry."
:smugbert: "Who's your boss here? I want to speak to him."
:raise: "That would be me, I'm the assistant. The manager is off today."
:smugbert: *Gives me a disgusted look and approaches another employee and ask the same questions to which the other employee said the same thing.*

He came back to me and and demanded I reduce it further. I've had enough with his poo poo, and I didn't want to get in a confrontation with him since I know that store management will still kiss his rear end, so I called the store manager over our intercom and asked for permission to reduce to level 3 even though it isn't company policy to do so until 4 pm. I said it loud enough so douchebag could hear me. Store manager okayed it so I went ahead and reduced it further.

Later on the customer service gal told me she got an earful from him about how we're "suppose" to do our mark downs. This is the first time I've dealt with this person, and supposedly he does this poo poo a lot.

If he pulls this poo poo with me again, I'll tell him no I won't reduce it and he'll have to go find management himself if he wants it that bad.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

ijii posted:

Markdown policy customer bullshit

I think that the one thing that pisses me off more than anything in retail is the customers who try and tell me what the gently caress our company policies are. That, and the ones who insist that they "just got it here last week" when talking about a product that we haven't carried in the ~8 years I've worked there.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Duckman2008 posted:

I know its easier said than done, but there must be a better retail job to knab than that. Even bagging groceries is easier and pays better than that.

And has a union fer chrissakes!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

ijii posted:

I went ahead and reduced it further.

Now he's just going to come back and keep doing it because it worked.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

Now he's just going to come back and keep doing it because it worked.

Honestly I'd think having a tiered discount thing like that in the first place is just asking for trouble.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Pornographic Memory posted:

Honestly I'd think having a tiered discount thing like that in the first place is just asking for trouble.

It's not that unusual. When I worked retail at the local Co-op (UK goon) while I was in school we would regularly mark down the baked goods mid-afternoon and then, if they still hadn't shifted by early evening, mark them down further. If they still didn't sell by the end of the day then we'd bin them.

Ah yes, the heady days when I used to control the markdown gun.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Pornographic Memory posted:

They do this at a local market. I get the early mark-down now and then by being pleasant and asking politely. If I don't get it, pitching a fit won't score me any points for the next time I ask.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
So, I posted about my old job (last page, maybe 2 pages back maximum). I had a huge blow out with our new manager who decided she wanted me replaced with someone who had never worked under a timer in her life. She pulled me off graveyard, despite the fact that I couldn't work anything but graveyard. I was the one of three reliable graveyard employees. I walked 2 1/2 miles to work at 10PM if my car broke down. Since she took me off grave and put a girl who had never worked under at timer in her life in my position, graveyard's metrics TANKED. So she had to hire someone else to help out girl #1. The metrics STILL tanked. Two people could not do the job I did alone, but she was satisfied with her decision because she had a personal issue with me. I made the mistake of getting sick one day and only giving four hours notice before my shift. Yeap, thats the great problem she had with me. One night, I got sick and tired and just up and quit. I finished out my shift because my shift leads were cool and told them to go gently caress themselves. The manager had already cut my hours to 2 hours a week (in 4 weeks, I went from 45 hours a week to 2 hours a week.) so it didn't really matter that I'd quit on the spot. This all leads up to the following..

I just noticed a missed call from my old shift lead. I heard a week or two back that the store is tanking so badly because the new manager pissed off all the reliable employees that now they're calling people trying to get them to come back. There were only two people in the entire store that were reliable for grave. The grave shift lead and a grave cook who had been there five years. The two girls who replaced me couldn't stand grave.

In short,
ahahahahahaha.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I work at a lovely retail grocery store job currently, but my mind is fogged from the flu so I can't remember anything specific about it. I do, however, remember the lovely management from my last retail job, working at a hardware store.
I had never really had a retail job before, if you don't count selling ice cream as retail, so I didn't have a lot of experience with the things that came along with it. A few of the employees were pretty helpful but the majority were full of themselves, stuck up, and just plain rude. One day a customer came in and got a 20lb tank of propane. Whenever an order like that comes in, or something like, say, hay or rocks, we use our walkie-talkies to communicate with the warehouse guys and they'll usually get it taken care of. So the guy pays for his propane, I call out on the radio, "Warehouse, one LP20.", tell the dude to have a good day and continue on with the next customer.
About 10 minutes later, the guy comes in. "No one's helped me yet." Ok, sorry about that sir, I call out over the radio one more time and go on to help the customer.
Another 10 minutes or so passes by, the guy comes back in, a little more aggravated this time. "I'm still waiting, no one has even come out." Ok, I apologize and call out on the radio again.
A few minutes after that, one of the warehouse guys comes from the back, gets all up in my face, and begins yelling and berating me in front of the other cashiers and the customers. "DO YOU KNOW HOW BUSY WE ARE BACK HERE I HEARD YOUR CALL YOU CALLED AT LEAST 10 TIMES WE loving HEARD YOU DO YOU WANT TO GET BACK HERE AND DO THIS poo poo BECAUSE YOU SURE AS HELL DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR loving JOB!!" and I got pissed. But I tried to stay as calm as possible and explained to him that when the customer gets angry and impatient, he's not coming around back to complain to you, he's coming up front to complain to me. If he's complaining, he's going to say something to the manager. About me. And how I didn't do my job.
It turns out it wasn't the first time anyone had had a problem with that guy, and he'd even cussed out and thrown things at a few of the managers but for some reason they kept him on...

As far as not having a lot of retail experience goes, that meant that I had never had to count a till before. At my first job where I dealt with money, I wasn't old enough to handle cash, so I didn't have to worry about it. I've heard it's actually pretty unusual for cashiers to count down their own tills, so idk. But at night, when we were closing, we all had to count down our tills for the day and it had to be added up to $250 for the registers in the hardware part of the store, and $150 for the ones in the nursery. I'm already a poo poo at math and even using calculators, I could not get how to get to the number that I needed sometimes. Many, many times I asked for help, was given a poor explanation of how to do it, or just had the till yanked from me so someone else could do it, not giving me a chance to learn for myself. The last time I asked, before I was fired (I was actually fired because my tills were always off and they thought I was stealing :downs: ), they told me, and I quote, "It doesn't take anyone else this long to get this."

When I started my job at where I work now, I had a lot of people ask me where I'd worked before, and upon telling them, the majority of people told me they'd heard terrible, lovely things about the place and the managers that worked there. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Avalanche posted:

Tips are not allowed.

This is lovely, I don't see why this would be a policy when several expensive coffee shops generally have tip jars out and whatnot. I've pretty much swore that whenever I manage to get a better job and have decent money I'm going to tip everyone in the stores and whatever else that helps me around Christmas time since you put up with so much poo poo at that time of the year.

quote:

An annual 10 cent raise is all that is given,
Ugh, also crappy. BBB gave me a 27 cent raise my first year. Then "Oh the economy is bad, we need to save money so we can keep giving ourselves several million dollar bonuses at the end of the year," happened with the management (last year they even sent home about half the employees 4 days before Christmas, and slashed the hours by a LOT for the rest of the week... Why? Because the weekend before there was some large snow storm that shut down a city for a day and they assumed the people who didn't shop that day would never shop ever again). But the second year I didn't get a raise. And then the 3rd year I was given a 4 cent raise. Hooray! I really feel the impact that has on my check. Especially after working 51 hours over Christmas. The extra $0.66 that raise put into my overtime really gave me a lot of pep to deal with that week!

Nocheez posted:

Concord Mills?

Shh!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

Shh!
Wow, that was just an educated guess.

I feel your pain, though. I try to avoid that mall as much as possible because it seems that most people shopping there are selfish buttholes.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Nocheez posted:

I feel your pain, though. I try to avoid that mall as much as possible because it seems that most people shopping there are selfish buttholes.

You know what? It only got worse once Eastland Mall shut down. It's like an even rougher / ruder crowd showed up. We get more random merchandise broken, thrown on the floor, ripped open, stolen, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

As far as not having a lot of retail experience goes, that meant that I had never had to count a till before. At my first job where I dealt with money, I wasn't old enough to handle cash, so I didn't have to worry about it. I've heard it's actually pretty unusual for cashiers to count down their own tills, so idk.

I've worked 3 different grocery chains (Wegmans, Krogers and HG Hills) and it is very unusual to let the cashier count the till. Probably very stupid too.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
This is horrid E/N ranting. I am sorry.

I hate my job. I used to love it then the overloards decided to stick us with more rules. I am the only one who seems to do any stocking, and I have my own work load. My last "day off" was Dec. 5th yeah, had to go in to fix a bunch of paperwork that my co-irkers didn't bother to do because we might have an inspection coming the next day. Can't train anyone to stick around a give me some MUCH NEEDED time off. I work midnights so that means for the 6th new year's in a row I will be celebrating it there. I'm pissed...was supposed to have xmas off but got called in because new replacement had the sniffles and couldn't handle the shift. Can't deal anymore, i am burnt out to the point of apathy and serious depression. I am sick and tired of carrying everything on my shoulders. Can't do it anymore. If I end up divorced it's going to be because of this place because I can't grow a set and stand up for myself and get what I am due(regular days off and being left the gently caress alone on those days). I guess I have saturday off whoopee half a shift off because chick's not ready to handle the second half of the shift alone (too slow) and can't handle a line without freaking out.

I am well taken care of there, have lots of autonomy and it's really not that bad of a place to be, I also got a nice xmas bonus too. I actually love most of my customers hate most of my co workers though. I just am sick of begging people to do thier jobs and stop leaving all the poo poo for me to take care of. To summarize I don't want to fight with my husband anymore over my job. I don't want to be whiny and bitchy and miserable anymore. I used to be a nice happy person who didn't do nothing but bitch and complain all the time. I hate this. I hate what it's doing to me and my life. I just want ONE person for ONE day off a week. But because this poo poo is hard no one will stick it out.

Can't quit, my state has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. It's a reasonably stable job I am just in a poo poo situation. Rant RANT loving RANT.

TL;DR Hate my job situation but not the job it's eaten my soul and breaking me.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

You are a doormat. Either quit your job or speak up and demand some days off. Jesus.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
And also he has the most appropriate username ever.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Spork Heidelberg posted:

You are a doormat. Either quit your job or speak up and demand some days off. Jesus.

Seriously. You also need to stop overworking to make up for other people. You're not the supervisor (as far as I can tell), so why are you doing other people's jobs?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I've worked 3 different grocery chains (Wegmans, Krogers and HG Hills) and it is very unusual to let the cashier count the till. Probably very stupid too.

When I worked at Office Max, the cashiers were required to count down the tills. But it was really weird. We had to use a program that would add up the money for us. So we had to enter in the number of pennies, number of nickles, number of dimes, number of quarters, etc for all coins and dollars in existance up to $100.

Then we had to enter the total check amount (yet we added this up with a calculator on our own). There was a box to add in how much your change added up to and also a box to just add in how much money you had overall.... but only managers had clearance to use it.

The great part was that if your til was off by 1-5 cents, it would tell you what you were off by. If you were off by anymore it just said: "Till count is off, recount." And make you reenter EVERY coin and dollar again.

I enjoyed the day I was there and my till was off by $20... as in it was $20 over. I kept calling the manager in there so she could find out what it was off by and work to solve the situation. Also this was something like... 11AM. My shift ended at 11, and I'm not sent in to count my til until 11AM. So I already stay later than scheduled... when I had class at 12PM (and a 20 minute drive to my apartment, followed by a 20 minute walk to campus). She finally came in there after 2-3 times of me calling... And all she did was put her password in so it would tell me what I was off by, then she left. When I found out what I was off by and recounted it (with no change to the value) I called her in again.

She kept telling me to hold on (She wasn't doing anything important, she just didn't feel like going into the cash office). Finaly after I've called her 4 times and it's ~11:15.. She just shouts over the walkie: "WHAT?! I SAID I WOULD COME IN A BIT, STOP CALLING ME IN!" I was like: "Look, my till is off by $20, I need you to check it out, and I'm going to be late for class if I wait any longer. If you don't come in here I'm leaving right now." So she says: "Fine, I'm heading over there now.

Five minutes later...

Finally she comes in and adds it up herself. By this time it's almost 11:30. She is going NUTS, and is half screaming and yelling about trying to figure this out. Someone calls over the walkie that they need her outside and her response was, "HANG ON MAXDUO'S TILL IS OVER BY $20 AND I'M TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Finally she just lets me go and... I don't remember what they did about it. I remember one of the other managers told me they found something out (don't remember), but I half suspect she just pocketed it because she's a massive (in more way than one) bitch.

----
Funny thing about all of this is that despite the fact the cashiers are given this stupid program that was made for people who lack math skills other than counting by 1's.... You still had to call a manager in at the end to recount your money and sign the deposite bag. So after you spend 5 minutes counting every individual coin and telling the machine how many there are, adding the checks, and getting the deposit bags ready... you have to call a manager in, wait for them to come, let them recount it all, sign the bags and check something on the computer saying they did all of this, and then put the money into the safe. And you don't get sent off of your register until either the minute your shift ends.... or perhaps 2-3 minutes before.

Office Max is dumb.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

This is horrid E/N ranting. I am sorry.

I hate my job. I used to love it then the overloards decided to stick us with more rules. I am the only one who seems to do any stocking, and I have my own work load. My last "day off" was Dec. 5th yeah, had to go in to fix a bunch of paperwork that my co-irkers didn't bother to do because we might have an inspection coming the next day. Can't train anyone to stick around a give me some MUCH NEEDED time off. I work midnights so that means for the 6th new year's in a row I will be celebrating it there. I'm pissed...was supposed to have xmas off but got called in because new replacement had the sniffles and couldn't handle the shift. Can't deal anymore, i am burnt out to the point of apathy and serious depression. I am sick and tired of carrying everything on my shoulders. Can't do it anymore. If I end up divorced it's going to be because of this place because I can't grow a set and stand up for myself and get what I am due(regular days off and being left the gently caress alone on those days). I guess I have saturday off whoopee half a shift off because chick's not ready to handle the second half of the shift alone (too slow) and can't handle a line without freaking out.

I am well taken care of there, have lots of autonomy and it's really not that bad of a place to be, I also got a nice xmas bonus too. I actually love most of my customers hate most of my co workers though. I just am sick of begging people to do thier jobs and stop leaving all the poo poo for me to take care of. To summarize I don't want to fight with my husband anymore over my job. I don't want to be whiny and bitchy and miserable anymore. I used to be a nice happy person who didn't do nothing but bitch and complain all the time. I hate this. I hate what it's doing to me and my life. I just want ONE person for ONE day off a week. But because this poo poo is hard no one will stick it out.

Can't quit, my state has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. It's a reasonably stable job I am just in a poo poo situation. Rant RANT loving RANT.

In the mean time, stop doing everyone else's work. If something fails, let them take the fall. Concentrate on your own work.

You need to make a list of everything that's going on here, and how it's getting in the way of your own work. Sit down with your boss, and tell them that if there aren't any changes you'll need to leave. Then ask for a week off to calm down and maybe take care of some things at home. If they are reasonable they will listen and work with you, and the fact that you received a Christmas bonus says that there might be human beings above you.

On your time off, ignore their calls. You aren't a heart surgeon, it's not that important. There is no such thing as an emergency here. They need to staff appropriately rather than burning you out.

The last thing you need right now is to believe that you are asking for too much or that you're a "bitch" for wanting a reasonable work environment. You aren't. It's never easy to stand up for yourself in the at will world, but it doesn't mean that you deserve this treatment.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
A long time ago I worked for a mom n' pop used book store. Everything started out fine as the owner was a friendly old guy and the single other coworker was tolerable. Rumors of promoting me to Assistant Store Manager were destroyed when the owner's wife decided she was most fit for the job, despite hardly ever appearing in the store and not generally knowing the business. But hey, nepotism is rampant in mom n' pop, I get it. Naturally, she was the horrible witch counterpart to the nice owner, and I got an earful almost daily from her about how my performance was lacking in some way. Despite being an awesome and even-keeled worker, she just didn't like me for some reason. Where once it was a mellow and easy going place to work (and I happily did my job just fine), now I was being closely watched, timed and critiqued.

At my 1/2 hour lunch break, I would often take $20 from the ancient register as I was working it, get lunch and stop at the ATM on the way back to work and replenish/repay the missing $20 (ill-advised, I know, but I never stole a cent and always paid back what I borrowed for half an hour). It was just easier that way because of where the ATM was located.

Every night at closing we had to stand around and wait for the till count. Whenever I worked the register, it was always perfectly balanced, not a missed cent. One night we come up $20 short and the owner's wife immediately starts huffing about somebody stealing it and casting accusatory glares at me and talking about how I couldn't leave until it was "sorted out". While I had borrowed from the till at lunch, I had also repaid it, so the missing $20 was a mystery to me. She counted and the owner recounted, then suddenly counted correctly or something and the till was balanced and cleared as usual. The owner's wife had a stunned expression as the owner announced the cleared balance. Later I learned she had installed a camera directly above me and had been sitting in the office monitoring me all that day waiting for a slip up. Presumably she saw me take the $20 but didn't see me put it back.

Perfectly within their right to install a camera, and dumb of me to "borrow" from the till, but I still can't believe the effort she put into catching me doing something illicit, up to and including faking a shorted till to try to catch me out. I was going off to college in a few months, so in my remaining time I made sure to gently caress with her as much as possible by looking suspicious, pretending to grab cash and cramming my hands in my pockets, etc. Several times at the end of the night I could tell she was poised to swoop down and administer great justice upon me, only to have her hopes dashed by a perfectly balanced till.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Small complaint. Mainly due to my boss being an idiot. Apparently we till workers, (Despite knowing the business and how pretty much everything works) can't authorise a simple refund. Be aware, this is a chip shop. People don't buy anything in here that costs more than £5. If that. And if someone gets their order wrong, we have to wait upwards of five minutes to get it fixed. This just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain how to anyone this would seem like a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

In the mean time, stop doing everyone else's work. If something fails, let them take the fall. Concentrate on your own work.

You need to make a list of everything that's going on here, and how it's getting in the way of your own work. Sit down with your boss, and tell them that if there aren't any changes you'll need to leave. Then ask for a week off to calm down and maybe take care of some things at home. If they are reasonable they will listen and work with you, and the fact that you received a Christmas bonus says that there might be human beings above you.

On your time off, ignore their calls. You aren't a heart surgeon, it's not that important. There is no such thing as an emergency here. They need to staff appropriately rather than burning you out.

The last thing you need right now is to believe that you are asking for too much or that you're a "bitch" for wanting a reasonable work environment. You aren't. It's never easy to stand up for yourself in the at will world, but it doesn't mean that you deserve this treatment.

That's the poo poo thing it's impossible to do. I work for an owner\franchisee not a big corporation. It's all personal. I've spent the last two years (almost 3) whining my rear end off about getting everyone to carry their weight and it falls to yeses and oks and someone gets yelled at then in a week it's back to the poo poo again. I am a upper level peon due to the fact that we don't have managers the buck stops at the owner. So I have a bit of power but god forbid if I upset the precious little snowflakes. It is just such a bizarre situation all around due to the lack of hierarchy. On a personal level we're treated well like I said it's just there is no real order of command and it's hurting everyone. Boss refuses to let someone else take the reigns as far as crew goes so we all just answer to him which would be fine if there weren't about 25 of us in three different businesses.

As far as letting poo poo fail, it's just not in my nature not to mention the fact if the wrong person happens to wander in for an inspection we're screwed and could all end up jobless. Uggh yeah I am a door mat (a girl door mat).