Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Direwolf posted:

They also don't know how to make real pizza that tastes halfway decent

As a Chicago native, you shut your dirty mouth. :mad:

Washington University in St. Louis is a cool place that isn't anywhere near Seattle, despite what anyone who doesn't live in Missouri or Illinois (and quite a few people who do live in those places) thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
University of Miami tries its best to introduce students to the corrupt, flashy culture of South Florida. The ABA Young Lawyers hold open bar events at posh nightclubs where a law student may end up naked in one of the club's swimming pools without the incident being published on Above the Law. Other students will get drunk and disorderly charges at Hurricanes games - the rich will pay to get the charges dismissed, the poor will have their charges dismissed after a cursory pro se defense. Both classes of students will proclaim their victory over injustice on Facebook and take externships at the PD/SA offices. Many job leads have also been found after leaving Scarlett's at 8:00am.

You also get to experience being a URM while in Miami. Some local eateries will sit you in the "gringo" section or a Best Buy employee will feign not understanding English when you start bitching. But this is ok because you can always find someone to "teach you Salsa" or "help with your Spanish" without too much effort.

After the fun ends you will be >$100k in debt and either rich enough to shrug it off or working for $30k/year until IBR forgives your loans. You will also lose your significant other since, unlike the losers buying D&G shades on credit card, your debt doesn't disappear in Chapter 7 filings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Boxman posted:

Washington University in St. Louis is a cool place that isn't anywhere near Seattle, despite what anyone who doesn't live in Missouri or Illinois (and quite a few people who do live in those places) thinks.
WUSTL has some location issues. Not St. Louis, it has its merits, but driving 3 blocks east is kind of a trip.

University of Minnesota has a very good microbrewery next door (Town Hall). It has other merits, but quality local beer made a block away is really the seller. Yale doesn't have that.

nm fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 26, 2010

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
My apartment manager just accosted me to ask why her niece got rejected from every law school in Texas, including mine, which is TTT all the way. I asked what her LSAT was: 144. I told her that her niece should probably look into other career paths unless she had some magical way to tack 30 points onto her score.

This did not go over well. It's been her niece's dream since childhood to be lawyer and help people, blah blah blah, and nothing was going to stand in the way of her dream, etc.

Because I value being able to get my maintenance requests handled in a timely manner, I told her that her niece should maybe do Princeton Review or Kaplan, and hope for the best.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Cortina posted:

My apartment manager just accosted me to ask why her niece got rejected from every law school in Texas, including mine, which is TTT all the way. I asked what her LSAT was: 144. I told her that her niece should probably look into other career paths unless she had some magical way to tack 30 points onto her score.

This did not go over well. It's been her niece's dream since childhood to be lawyer and help people, blah blah blah, and nothing was going to stand in the way of her dream, etc.

Because I value being able to get my maintenance requests handled in a timely manner, I told her that her niece should maybe do Princeton Review or Kaplan, and hope for the best.

Nothing, except a test that has no predictive value of performance at a school that in no way teaches you to be a lawyer.

Good luck to her, if this is what she's been working for since childhood. But a 144 is going to be pretty hard to bounce back from.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Man-quits-job-makes-living-apf-4229922732.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

The problem with you law students is your sense of entitlement. No jobs yes, but plenty of work!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I guess I'll give it a try. A little overlong, though.

(the) Yale Law School

You know how people in this thread say “blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne”? Well, tYLS sits upon the skull throne. Ewr2870 said of Harvard, “We don't really have grades and almost everyone gets jobs.” This is a pale shadow of the Yale model. We really don’t have grades. First semester is what’s called “credit/fail.”

Former Yale Dean Harold Koh posted:

We call it credit/fail but it’s really credit/credit. You will go to class and then you will take an exam, and you will pass. If you do not pass, you will take it again. And you will pass.

Even after first semester, you’re evaluated on the H/P/LP/F model that Harvard uses now. Unlike Harvard, we neither mandate a curve nor assign any kind of point values to the letters (if Harvard still does that, like they were earlier this year) and, also unlike Harvard, we haven’t changed the system since the 60s. Basically, you will come here after a long academic career of constant evaluation and cease to be evaluated almost entirely. This is more stressful than you would think. This is combined with Yale’s well-known approach to teaching the law “as it should be,” which is best interpreted as “the law as it never was and never will be, devoid of any and all applicability.”*

Despite Yale’s principled stand against things like grades, ranks, or teaching the law, it appears that the only people who don’t get jobs are those who take a vow of poverty as part of an academic exploration of materialism in the law. Or something. Career Services assumes, from the get-go, that you not only want a clerkship but that you will get one. However, they are pretty much entirely useless for actually helping you get one.

All these perks make up for the fact that we are the inverse Lake Wobegon of law schools: we are all apparently selected for our unique talents and experiences, but no one feels very unique, talented, or experienced next to the Harvard physics PhD, the presidential speechwriter, or the 19 year old wunderkind doing a joint JD/Econ PhD with MIT. And they feel exactly the same way.

Yale doesn’t do sections, but rather small groups (I think Duke does something similar). Basically, one of your four first semester classes is a sixteen-person seminar. You will have all four of your classes with those sixteen people, though the other three are generally 4-5 small groups together in a lecture environment. Your small group pretty much determines the tone of your first semester, both academically and socially.**

Speaking of classes, you know how most schools have a year of requirements? Not us! You take four classes your first semester (Torts, Civ Pro, Con Law, and Contracts) – with LRW attached to your small group – and then you do whatever the hell you want. You need to take criminal law and a professional responsibility class at some point before you graduate. Maybe.

New Haven gets a bad rap for being a crime-ridden cesspool, but normal city rules apply. You would think that the diverse cross-section of elite students admitted to Yale Law School wouldn’t be so dumb as to put themselves in obvious danger. Don’t worry, Yale Security Assistant Chief Ronnell Higgins will e-mail you eighteen times a day with detailed accounts of your classmates being exactly that dumb.

There are about 200 people in every YLS class, and at least a quarter of them are already connected to each other through the incestuous network of prep school education and the Harvard/Yale/Princeton undergraduate orgy. You will never meet anyone in another Yale graduate program unless they are doing a joint degree with the law school. I’m pretty sure the political science PhD program is an administrative plant to make us feel better-adjusted.

If you come to Yale, you will spend the rest of your life explaining to non-lawyers why you didn’t go to Harvard. The correct answer is always “We need more due process. I want to advocate for more due process.”

* This is entirely dependent on what professors you get. One Civ Pro class spent about a month talking about civil procedure through a Hobbesian lens. My Civ Pro class was siginificantly more intense, to the point where we covered so much material that we spent approximately 15 minutes (the last 15 minutes of our last class) on Erie doctrine. She did jurisdiction last, for some reason. Some professors are more abstract than others.

** For example, one notable Con Law small group was led by a rather famous professor who asked them all what their favorite flavor of ice cream was. Another Civ Pro small group got that question and responded “Sir, Rule 56, sir!” Basically, it’s like Vietnam – whether you served in the Air National Guard or Da Nang, you still “served.” Results may vary.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fougera posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Man-quits-job-makes-living-apf-4229922732.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

The problem with you law students is your sense of entitlement. No jobs yes, but plenty of work!

I think I just found myself a money-making hobby.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

WUSTL has some location issues. Not St. Louis, it has its merits, but driving 3 blocks east is kind of a trip.

WUSTL isn't even in the city of St. Louis, it's in a really nice suburb to the west of St. Louis - so really not even very close to East St. Louis across the river.

UVA Law is just a fun school, heavily centered around drinking. Beer and softball reign supreme, there's a theme party every single night during the month of February, there's 1L hazing at the start of the semester, bar review at a bar every Thursday and plenty of other events. The law school and undergrad are both on the preppy side and the law school community is pretty close knit - it's not a big city so everyone frequents the same bars and everyone lives in the same apartment complexes.

It's a separate, smaller campus from the undergrad which is a shame because the undergrad campus is gorgeous. Charlottesville is a great city if you don't need a billion museums/bars/restaurants - there are two main strips of solid bars and restaurants that everyone frequents, there's an airport, plenty of taxis, and you can have a car, park easily, and go to house parties.

Class wise You're grouped into small sections your first year, we have no year long classes your first year other than LRW, and you get two electives your second semester 1L year and can take whatever after that.

UVA is the only T14 that allows law firms to pre-screen (look at your resume and decide if they want to interview you), though it also has a lottery portion which is similar to the other T14s. Some people view this as a downside but I'm not sure I agree. They also have two rounds of interviews - one before school starts and one a little later. This can be helpful if you strike out because you can readjust your strategy and try for an easier city.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HooKars posted:

WUSTL isn't even in the city of St. Louis, it's in a really nice suburb to the west of St. Louis - so really not even very close to East St. Louis across the river.
No, it is exactly on the border. Its address is in St. Louis.
East St. Louis is the worst part of St. Louis, but certainly not the only not great part of St. Louis.
I've been to WUSTL (and seriously considered it for law school, I was admitted there) and had a friend who went there undergrad. West of WUSTL is very nice, East more than a few blocks, less so.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm a mechanical engineering graduate student. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do after I get my M.S. or PhD (it'll also help me determine if I want to go all the way to the PhD).

I've toyed with the idea of going into patent law, I've been told that people with my background going into law school are relatively rare. Is that at all true? After reading the OP I feel like maybe taking on that sort of debt would be a huge mistake if I'm not going to stand out somehow.

Another part of it is I'm female. I worked as an engineer before going back to school, and I know how male dominated that industry is. Law school seems like it might be a chance to get into a less male dominated field. I'm afraid if I go back into industry I'll be the lone female engineer, which isn't a good place to be.

What I'm asking is: Would a graduate degree in engineering really make me a desirable candidate? Are there jobs available where that plus a law degree would be an asset? If not, maybe being the only woman in the nerdery isn't the worst thing in the world.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

East St. Louis is the worst part of St. Louis, but certainly not the only not great part of St. Louis.
West of WUSTL is very nice, East more than a few blocks, less so.

It really isn't that bad. St. Louis isn't a walking city, it's a driving city so to the extent there are bad pockets of town, they're easily avoidable and there's not much in those areas anyway. Directly east of WUSTL is the park (which like any large park, you don't want to walk through at night) Forest Park Parkway and Lindell Blvd. (a street lined with gorgeous mansions) - those two roads will take you a few blocks further east to the Central West End - which is probably where you want to be if you're heading east, and the CWE is nice.

As far as the area goes and where you want to be, there's really never any reason to be in a sketchy part of town (unless you want to go to bars on the Loop and you happen to consider the Loop sketchy in and of itself - but it's gotten better) and there's plenty of safe neighborhoods in the area to live. I lived within walking distance of the law school and never felt unsafe walking my dog alone at night as a petite female. It's probably a good policy to not wander all around the city aimlessly on foot at night until you know where you're going and to be smart when picking the neighborhood that you live in, but as far as day-to-day living goes, I never noticed that I was in one of the most violent cities in the US.

I would not avoid WUSTL at all because of location factors.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm a mechanical engineering graduate student. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do after I get my M.S. or PhD (it'll also help me determine if I want to go all the way to the PhD).

I've toyed with the idea of going into patent law, I've been told that people with my background going into law school are relatively rare. Is that at all true? After reading the OP I feel like maybe taking on that sort of debt would be a huge mistake if I'm not going to stand out somehow.

Another part of it is I'm female. I worked as an engineer before going back to school, and I know how male dominated that industry is. Law school seems like it might be a chance to get into a less male dominated field. I'm afraid if I go back into industry I'll be the lone female engineer, which isn't a good place to be.

What I'm asking is: Would a graduate degree in engineering really make me a desirable candidate? Are there jobs available where that plus a law degree would be an asset? If not, maybe being the only woman in the nerdery isn't the worst thing in the world.

Will it make you a more desirable candidate? Probably not, except maybe marginally. Undergraduate GPA + LSAT = pretty much the only numbers that matter. No one cares about your undergraduate discipline. It's flavor, nothing more.

Demographically, gender tends to have zero effect, as far as I know. Duke went through a weird phase this year where they somehow matriculated like 75% men. Clearly no one is paying attention to what your gender is.

Are there jobs available where your engineering background plus a law degree would be an asset? No. Nope. Not at all. Maybe patent stuff, but many people in this thread will tell you that those jobs are as hard to get as vanilla law work, and I defer to their experience.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

This is combined with Yale’s well-known approach to teaching the law “as it should be,” which is best interpreted as “the law as it never was and never will be, devoid of any and all applicability.”*

:cls-smile:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

DeadlyMuffin posted:

http://usptocareers.gov/Pages/PEPositions/Default.aspx

patent examining.

all of the money, benefits, work-from-home, etc of a patent lawyer.

none of the law school.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I would quit law school to be a patent examiner it's a pretty awesome gig.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

The University of Michigan Law School is an unmitigated shithole. Pros: All of the pretension and expense of a top national law school without any distracting frills such as job placement or meaningful resources. Cons: ??
Take in the historic Law Quadrangle, which was built in 1912 to house the first entering class of eight law students. Every square inch has been under extensive renovation and reconstruction every year since; the facilities can now comfortably educate up to thirty-two students

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Petey posted:

patent examining.

none of the law school.
It really is a much better idea than law school.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Petey posted:

patent examining.

none of the law school.

You're awesome. I'm definitely going to look into this when I'm applying for jobs. Thank you.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The University of Texas Law School - Don't be fooled by the word "Texas," this is Austin, so you won't be seeing a whole lot of boots and stetsons. In addition to having the most populous undergrad campus in the Central Time Zone, Austin is the official liberal hipster enclave and home for punk/goth/emo/stoner Texans who can't put up with the lack of culture (rock shows and thrift shops) elsewhere.

It's also increasingly an exclave for obnoxious Californians who couldn't hack their high cost of living and want something cheap to turn into California Lite. You'll be able to tell because they throw themselves into the whole "Keep Austin Weird" cult a little too stridently, much like the gunner who compensates for not getting into a T14 by buying a bunch of pre-1L prep books and poo poo. These people can gently caress right off.

The law school consists of three buildings on the north edge of campus: the six-story (sike, at least one floor will always be closed for construction) Tarlton library, Townes which is lined with creepy WWI motivational posters and contains all your classes, and that weird glass building that's only there for clinics or whatever. CCJ or something? I don't think I went there once. What's up with that?

Things NOT to do at UT Law:
- Live east of I-35
- Go to class after your first semester
- Buy anything from George's except taquitos and coffee
- Take Johnson's FIT class hoooly poo poo wait for Ascher trust me

You'll get split into 100-strong sections for all but one of your first semester classes, which are then further split into 50-strong "societies" such as Hargreave, McCormick, Slytherin, etc, and then split again into 25-strong sections for your one seminar-sized class. You don't get any say in any of this, just pay the bursar and shut up. You get one elective your second semester (which will be something like Estuarine Fisheries Regulations because the 2Ls/3Ls got first dibs). After that you're on your own provided you take ethics, an extra con law, and a writing seminar. There's something for everyone in the catalog: hardcore bar classes to prepare the aspiring litigator, domestic violence and death row clinics to jade the aspiring public servant, and gut classes on policy and philosophy to kill time for the aspiring barista.

Really aside from having extra Oil & Gas classes UT won't be that much different from your average law school. It was probably a bit more laid back because I always remember us being near the bottom of the lists for time spent studying and even the super-competitive gunners are dickish in a vaguely friendly way. However since you have both an actual campus and an actual city at your disposal, the easiest mistake to avoid is confining your social activities to the law school. Make the most of your time in Austin because you sure as gently caress aren't going to get a job there!

Elotana fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 27, 2010

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

DeadlyMuffin posted:

From a "no jobs" perspective, ME advanced degrees may be rare, but they aren't going to be in super high demand. Any engineering degree is a bit of an asset, but a ME degree does not get you much further than that.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

evilweasel posted:

I would quit law school to be a patent examiner it's a pretty awesome gig.
I know a patent examiner who quit to go to law school.

I have repeatedly expressed dismay.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

University of Minnesota has a very good microbrewery next door (Town Hall). It has other merits, but quality local beer made a block away is really the seller. Yale doesn't have that.

University of Minnesota is also great for a) Vampires and b) goons. Even if we weren't in the godawful dark most of the time, the building doesn't have any windows! Perfect for everyone who loves cave dwelling and windowless basements!

nm posted:

WUSTL has some location issues. Not St. Louis, it has its merits, but driving 3 blocks east is kind of a trip....

I've been to WUSTL (and seriously considered it for law school, I was admitted there) and had a friend who went there undergrad. West of WUSTL is very nice, East more than a few blocks, less so.

WUSTL is cut in half by two different zip codes. My freshman dorm was in one zip code, the dean's office is in a different zip code. Also, during my four years there it went from loving amazing to a huge shitpile (mostly due to the whole campus being rebuilt from exquisite architecture to cheap-rear end drywall). Don't go to WUSTL.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

University of Minnesota is also great for a) Vampires and b) goons. Even if we weren't in the godawful dark most of the time, the building doesn't have any windows! Perfect for everyone who loves cave dwelling and windowless basements!
There are windows, they just aren't where the big classes are.
Most of my classes after 1L had windows.
You shouldn't go to UMN because you're more likely to get a job after going to a local TTT than UMN.
Did I mention -20F?
Also that you shouldn't ever go to law school?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Anthropolis posted:

The University of Michigan Law School is an unmitigated shithole. Pros: All of the pretension and expense of a top national law school without any distracting frills such as job placement or meaningful resources. Cons: ??
Take in the historic Law Quadrangle, which was built in 1912 to house the first entering class of eight law students. Every square inch has been under extensive renovation and reconstruction every year since; the facilities can now comfortably educate up to thirty-two students
jesus christ, cry some more

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Law School

You go there for three years and get a piece of paper that hopefully helps you get the job you want.

Everything else is window dressing.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

The Warszawa posted:

I guess I'll give it a try. A little overlong, though.

(the) Yale Law School

You know how people in this thread say “blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne”? Well, tYLS sits upon the skull throne. Ewr2870 said of Harvard, “We don't really have grades and almost everyone gets jobs.” This is a pale shadow of the Yale model. We really don’t have grades. First semester is what’s called “credit/fail.”

Even after first semester, you’re evaluated on the H/P/LP/F model that Harvard uses now. Unlike Harvard, we neither mandate a curve nor assign any kind of point values to the letters (if Harvard still does that, like they were earlier this year) and, also unlike Harvard, we haven’t changed the system since the 60s. Basically, you will come here after a long academic career of constant evaluation and cease to be evaluated almost entirely. This is more stressful than you would think. This is combined with Yale’s well-known approach to teaching the law “as it should be,” which is best interpreted as “the law as it never was and never will be, devoid of any and all applicability.”*

Despite Yale’s principled stand against things like grades, ranks, or teaching the law, it appears that the only people who don’t get jobs are those who take a vow of poverty as part of an academic exploration of materialism in the law. Or something. Career Services assumes, from the get-go, that you not only want a clerkship but that you will get one. However, they are pretty much entirely useless for actually helping you get one.

All these perks make up for the fact that we are the inverse Lake Wobegon of law schools: we are all apparently selected for our unique talents and experiences, but no one feels very unique, talented, or experienced next to the Harvard physics PhD, the presidential speechwriter, or the 19 year old wunderkind doing a joint JD/Econ PhD with MIT. And they feel exactly the same way.

Yale doesn’t do sections, but rather small groups (I think Duke does something similar). Basically, one of your four first semester classes is a sixteen-person seminar. You will have all four of your classes with those sixteen people, though the other three are generally 4-5 small groups together in a lecture environment. Your small group pretty much determines the tone of your first semester, both academically and socially.**

Speaking of classes, you know how most schools have a year of requirements? Not us! You take four classes your first semester (Torts, Civ Pro, Con Law, and Contracts) – with LRW attached to your small group – and then you do whatever the hell you want. You need to take criminal law and a professional responsibility class at some point before you graduate. Maybe.

New Haven gets a bad rap for being a crime-ridden cesspool, but normal city rules apply. You would think that the diverse cross-section of elite students admitted to Yale Law School wouldn’t be so dumb as to put themselves in obvious danger. Don’t worry, Yale Security Assistant Chief Ronnell Higgins will e-mail you eighteen times a day with detailed accounts of your classmates being exactly that dumb.

There are about 200 people in every YLS class, and at least a quarter of them are already connected to each other through the incestuous network of prep school education and the Harvard/Yale/Princeton undergraduate orgy. You will never meet anyone in another Yale graduate program unless they are doing a joint degree with the law school. I’m pretty sure the political science PhD program is an administrative plant to make us feel better-adjusted.

If you come to Yale, you will spend the rest of your life explaining to non-lawyers why you didn’t go to Harvard. The correct answer is always “We need more due process. I want to advocate for more due process.”

* This is entirely dependent on what professors you get. One Civ Pro class spent about a month talking about civil procedure through a Hobbesian lens. My Civ Pro class was siginificantly more intense, to the point where we covered so much material that we spent approximately 15 minutes (the last 15 minutes of our last class) on Erie doctrine. She did jurisdiction last, for some reason. Some professors are more abstract than others.

** For example, one notable Con Law small group was led by a rather famous professor who asked them all what their favorite flavor of ice cream was. Another Civ Pro small group got that question and responded “Sir, Rule 56, sir!” Basically, it’s like Vietnam – whether you served in the Air National Guard or Da Nang, you still “served.” Results may vary.

thank you. very well thought out and informative;this will definitely help people who are on the fence about whether or not to go to yale law school

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

atlas of bugs posted:

thank you. very well thought out and informative;this will definitely help people who are on the fence about whether or not to go to yale law school
But there are downsides too, they have to spend their life explaining to proles why they didn't attend Harvard Law :qq:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Linguica posted:

But there are downsides too, they have to spend their life explaining to proles why they didn't attend Harvard Law :qq:

Also sometimes they let riff-raff onto the school yacht...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elotana, clear out your PMs

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
The worst thing about going to Northwestern is explaining to people on the East Coast that your school is in Chicago, not Boston, and being ashamed to be associated with Ainsley's school.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

MoFauxHawk posted:

The worst thing about going to Northwestern is explaining to people on the East Coast that your school is in Chicago, not Boston, and being ashamed to be associated with Ainsley's school.

I had no idea you ended up going to Northwestern. Congratulations, man.

Trying the Chicago -> senate -> POTUS route?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

atlas of bugs posted:

I had no idea you ended up going to Northwestern. Congratulations, man.

Trying the Chicago -> senate -> POTUS route?

Thank you! I'm not actually going yet because they're making me wait a year. And the jury's still out on whether I'm going at all because I realized a while ago that I don't want to be a lawyer. Also I was thinking more that I would try the Jewish male Oprah route.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

The best thing about northeastern is accidentally grabbing a practice exam from Northwestern's library (both are called NUCAT) and then sighing in relief as you realize your exam will be easier (and not graded)

I'd do a thing for Northeastern but I don't think I was the target demographic, I don't think I'd be fair

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
tulane is cool but don't go there for the women cause they mostly p. chubby, even in ugrad

also you will have liver disease when you graduate and unless you are top 10% you will end up working in New Orleans or jobless anywhere else

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Elotana, clear out your PMs
done

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Phil Moscowitz posted:

you are top 10% you will end up working in New Orleans

maybe when you graduated

the top 10%ers I knew were recycling back in to get their MBAs because none of the NOLA firms would hire anyone new

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
talk about throwing good money after bad :(

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Loyola Chicago

Pros: Near Michigan Avenue so when skipping class you can spend your student loan money on overpriced rich person goods.

After you graduate, the lobby of the building is a great place to warm up after a long night sucking dicks for beer money down on Lower Wacker Dr.

There was a shitload of free alcohol at every school event. Well, free in the sense that you didn't have to pay anything over and above tuition costs.

There's a Child Law clinic or something but honestly if you want to do any sort of Family Law just go to the cheapest law school you can get into because Family Law will suck the life out of you and why pay more than necessary for that.

There's lots of undergrad classes in the law school building containing hot 19 year olds still naive enough to be impressed by a law student.

Mister J's

Cons: All the usual associated with a very expensive law school watching its ranking slip while building and remodeling the same tired 10 floors of a crappy building using all that sweet sweet federally guaranteed student loan money.

You will die unloved and broken.

All the good taquerias are miles away in Humboldt Park or Hermosa or Logan Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Anthropolis posted:

Sorry you hosed up 1L year/are terrible at interviews.