Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

GregNorc posted:

Ok thanks I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed, they're both really big and I'm just trying to find this one method to grad table data, and everything seems to be more about creating html or css objects... like I have the script wget an html page, and I just need this data from the table, I don't need to render any changes I make or add colors and stuff, I just need the strings in the column, and everything seems really complex...

also, look into BeautifulSoup

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Ok thanks I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed, they're both really big and I'm just trying to find this one method to grad table data, and everything seems to be more about creating html or css objects... like I have the script wget an html page, and I just need this data from the table, I don't need to render any changes I make or add colors and stuff, I just need the strings in the column, and everything seems really complex...

Anything more complicated than basic data types should be thought of as objects anyway.

Also, lxml is really quite easy to use. Assuming a real simple HTML page with only one table, you can process table cells with something like this:

code:
from lxml import etree
tree = etree.parse("http://derp.com/foo.html", parser=etree.HTMLParser())
table_node = tree.find("table")
tr_node_list = table_node.findall("tr")
for tr_node in tr_node_list:
    td_node_list = tr_node.findall("td")
    for td_node in td_node_list:
        <process it>

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

I have this 3rd party ircbot/markov chain program thing written in Python and it's really thrashing the hard drive every time it generates replies to user messages. I have looked through the source code and can't figure out whats really causing it since it appears to me that the bot simply loads the database files into memory completely, marshall.loads() the huge string objects into dictionary objects and then goes on to do whatever with the dictionary objects. How should I proceed with trying to find out what is causing all this disk activity? Just pointing me at the right module/software would suffice I think.
The problem is that this is a terrible way to handle generating markov text chains. It takes an excessive amount of memory, and that's why you're getting hard drive thrashing.

The right way to do this is using a disk-backed key-value store. SQLite is an easy way. Hailo is a Perl implementation of a disk-backed markov text chain generator.

I wrote something like that in Python a while ago for my IRC bot, but I'm not sure where the code went.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

edit: oops

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Say I've got a dict like this:

code:
dick = dict()
dick['balls'] = 69
dick['nuts'] = 420
dick['nads'] = 666
and I want to put some of the values into single variables like this:

code:
balls = dick['balls']
nuts = dick['nuts']
nads = dick['nads']
Is there a more Pythonic way of doing this? I was hoping something like

code:
(balls, nuts, nads) = dick['balls', 'nuts', 'nads']
would work but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Deus Rex posted:

Is there a more Pythonic way of doing this? I was hoping something like
code:
(balls, nuts, nads) = dick['balls', 'nuts', 'nads']
would work but that doesn't seem to be the case.

code:
option_a, option_b, option_c = dick['option_a'], dick['option_b'], dick['option_c']

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 27, 2010

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

ErIog posted:

code:
option_a, option_b, option_c = dick['option_a'], dick['option_b'], dick['option_c']

This is actually what I've gone with, but it still seems ugly and I wish there were a way to index multiple dict values with a tuple of keys :( Oh well, thanks!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Deus Rex posted:

This is actually what I've gone with, but it still seems ugly and I wish there were a way to index multiple dict values with a tuple of keys :( Oh well, thanks!

You could do it with a list comprehension, but that's just going to end up being more cutesy than need be.

code:
option_a, option_b, option_c = [dick[key] for key in ['option_a', 'option_b', 'option_c']]
Please don't do this.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
honestly, seems like, depending on what's involved, this may be a good time to use a namedtuple

Your example of turning dictionary values (from keys) into separate objects is something I've mostly only done when I'm tired of using bracket syntax and putting quotes around the same attributes over and over.

code:
Dicks = namedtuple('Dicks', 'balls nuts nads')
my_dicks = Dicks(69, 420, 666)

assert my_dicks.balls == my_dicks[0] and my_dicks.balls == 69
this still has a namespace/scope of my_dicks which is nice, and you don't have to be stuck with a dictionary just to have meaningful names to access attributes with

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

ErIog posted:

You could do it with a list comprehension, but that's just going to end up being more cutesy than need be.

code:
option_a, option_b, option_c = [dick[key] for key in ['option_a', 'option_b', 'option_c']]
Please don't do this.

If you want to be truly unholy, you could do:
code:
globals().update(d)
This will plunk every key/value in d into the global variable namespace, so if d['a']=5, there's now a global variable a=5. This is purely for comedy value, do not actually do this.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Lurchington posted:

honestly, seems like, depending on what's involved, this may be a good time to use a namedtuple

Your example of turning dictionary values (from keys) into separate objects is something I've mostly only done when I'm tired of using bracket syntax and putting quotes around the same attributes over and over.

code:
Dicks = namedtuple('Dicks', 'balls nuts nads')
my_dicks = Dicks(69, 420, 666)

assert my_dicks.balls == my_dicks[0] and my_dicks.balls == 69
this still has a namespace/scope of my_dicks which is nice, and you don't have to be stuck with a dictionary just to have meaningful names to access attributes with

this works well for my situation, thanks!

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

What's the best way to implement an enum in Python like in C?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Yakattak posted:

What's the best way to implement an enum in Python like in C?

there's an explanation here: http://norvig.com/python-iaq.html

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
Reposting from the previous page, and then I'll let it rest:

Bodhi Tea posted:

I'm trying to do form based authentication with urllib2, I'm following the code given here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~kent37/kk/00010.html

So basically I have something that looks like this (taken from the site):

code:
opener = urllib2.build_opener(urllib2.HTTPCookieProcessor())
urllib2.install_opener(opener)
params = urllib.urlencode(dict(username='joe', password='secret'))
f = opener.open('http://coolsite.example.com/login/', params)
The problem is that it seems that even if I provide bogus credentials, the login page is retrieved without a problem, so no error message is raised (that I'm aware of). How can I handle the case where I provide invalid username and password?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
look at the page returned for clues to the result of the form submission

bc87
Dec 11, 2010
is def a function?

code:
def example()
     print "dick suck gently caress duck muck truck luck"

example()
Is it a function that is used to define other functions?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

def is a keyword

http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords

bc87
Dec 11, 2010

wow, all those keywords are nearly all the things I learned from this web tutorial.

http://www.ibiblio.org/swaroopch/byteofpython/read/

At first, I thought def was some kind of built-in function, like lens. It's a whole different class (pun not intended) altogether.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

tef posted:

look at the page returned for clues to the result of the form submission

Makes sense. Thanks.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Jonnty posted:

there's an explanation here: http://norvig.com/python-iaq.html

If you plan to use the code he provided, make it a new-style class:

class Enum(object):

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I have a Python class we'll call ClassA and another Python class which is supposed to import ClassA which we'll call ClassB. The directory structure is as follows:

code:
MainDir
../Dir
..../DirA/ClassA
..../DirB/ClassB
How the hell do I use ClassA from ClassB?

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

from ..DirA import ClassA

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

spankweasel posted:

from ..DirA import ClassA

Doing that just gives me this error:
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package

Yes, I do have __init__.py's in all the directories. Does it matter that ClassA is really just static with a bunch of methods and no actual class definition?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's the practical difference between these?

code:
class WhatUp:
code:
class WhatUp():
code:
class WhatUp(object):

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Thermopyle posted:

What's the practical difference between these?

code:
class WhatUp:
code:
class WhatUp():
code:
class WhatUp(object):

The first and second one don't inherit any classes, and the last one inherits from object.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yakattak posted:

The first and second one don't inherit any classes, and the last one inherits from object.

Well...duh.

Why would a person care? Is there a difference between the first and second?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
the last one is a new-style class, the first is a 'classic class' and I've never actually seen the middle one, although I suppose it's a new-style class that derives from nothing? :confused:
http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html#newstyle

short version, use new-style classes, as they're the only syntax allowed in 3.0, but in using them now you get access to things like descriptors and although the docs like to say new-style classes aren't fully integrated yet, I've found the opposite. There's a lot of things ( like the semantics of overriding __getatrr__ and __getattribute__ ) that are assuming the reader already uses new-style classes.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Yakattak posted:

Doing that just gives me this error:
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package

Yes, I do have __init__.py's in all the directories. Does it matter that ClassA is really just static with a bunch of methods and no actual class definition?

for simplicity, I'd have wanted to do an explicit absolute import:

from dir.DirA import classB

I've only ever done a explicit relative import in a package I wanted to future proof for when I make it a plugin. For whatever reason, I find it harder to deal with relative.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 28, 2010

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Lurchington posted:

for simplicity, I'd have wanted to do an explicit absolute import:

from dir.DirA import classB

I've only ever done a explicit relative import in a package I wanted to future proof for when I make it a plugin. For whatever reason, I find it harder to deal with relative.

Does anything need to be in sys.path to be able to do this?

e: Somehow I got it to work. I just remade the __init__.py and added a print statement in Dir and now it works. I don't know why but whatever. v:shobon:v

Yakattak fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 28, 2010

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
if you were doing your testing inside of a python interpreter, there may have been an issue in of making sure you were in the right place or not seeing changes you made to already imported modules.

if you were doing python <module that has class A in it> then it's accurate to say that you really aren't in a package in the way python expects, whatever module you're running is going to have a name of "__main__" and you can't usually do a relative import up directory levels with that.

This stackoverflow answer gets at the same thing.

So, when you made your change, it's possible that you also re-ran your code from a different directory or with a different entrypoint. Of course, there's also a possibility that your change to add a print statement blew away some stale pyc's that somehow persisted with old stuff (this may be possible if you're using a full ide's interpreter like pycharm, eclipse, or pyscripter'

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

So I'm making a very small program for personal use in tkinter, and I've run into a really strange wall. I'm mixing tkinter with the pywin32 bindings because I really hate everything to do with the syntax and naming conventions of pywin32, and it feels like tkinter gets more done with far less code. The strangeness is happening in the transition between the pywin32 clipboard watching and my program's reaction to it in tkinter. I've put a piece of code up that demonstrates the crash here.

My window and all its controls are being handled in tkinter. The pywin32 bindings are doing clipboard watching and clipboard access when the clipboard changes. From what I've gathered about the way the clipboard watching pieces of pywin32 work, you can make it work with anything you want as long as you provide pywin32 with the hwnd value of your window. I'm doing that part, and it works when the program first starts. It just doesn't seem to work when the clipboard changes.

When the program launches, it grabs the clipboard and puts it into the search box and edit box just fine. When the clipboard is modified, the event I want to fire off is firing off...except that event that totally worked before when the program launched is now causing a weird hang instead of doing what it's supposed to do. I can print the clipboard contents to stdout all I want if the clipboard changes, but not put that same data into a tkinter widget. It only hangs like that if it starts to interact with any of my tkinter widgets after being fired off by a clipboard change notification.

It feels like there's some pywin32 etiquette I've missed in adapting the clipboard-watching sample code I was using over to my tkinter-using program. Tkinter apparently doesn't like to produce stack traces or error messages, and I can't really even begin to know what to look for trying to debug it with pdb.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 29, 2010

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm having some trouble importing the cx_Oracle module for use with Oracle databases.

If I want to connect to another server (Oracle 10g) from my machine (Oracle 9i client) then should I have the cx_Oracle module for 10g or 9i installed?

I'm running into this error and am not sure how to proceed

>>> import cx_Oracle

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
import cx_Oracle
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

I'm fairly new to Python so I might be missing something obvious.

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs
e: nm

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
figured out something kind of neat, so I figured I'd toss it here. Simulating a game of war with 4 players, and wanted to print the cards played on a certain round in the form of: 'K > J > 10 > 9' or 'K = K > Q > J' depending, in a relatively efficient way:

code:
played = <given and sorted list of the played cards/player who played them in descending order>
group_gen = (g for _, g in itertools.groupby(played))
print u' > '.join(u' = '.join(thing for thing in g)) for g in group_gen)
some sample output (real version uses logging module)
pre:
2010-12-31 23:01:12,073 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar3-K♡ > ComputerWar0-7♡ > ComputerWar1-6♡ > ComputerWar2-4♢
2010-12-31 23:01:12,073 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar2-A♢ > ComputerWar1-Q♠ = ComputerWar3-Q♡ > ComputerWar0-9♠
2010-12-31 23:01:12,074 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-K♠ > ComputerWar1-Q♣ > ComputerWar2-10♡ > ComputerWar3-7♢
2010-12-31 23:01:12,074 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-J♠ > ComputerWar2-7♣ > ComputerWar3-6♣ > ComputerWar1-2♡
2010-12-31 23:01:12,074 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar2-K♣ > ComputerWar1-J♡ > ComputerWar0-5♢ = ComputerWar3-5♣
2010-12-31 23:01:12,074 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-A♡ > ComputerWar1-9♣ > ComputerWar2-5♠ > ComputerWar3-3♡
2010-12-31 23:01:12,075 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-A♣ > ComputerWar1-Q♢ > ComputerWar2-10♢ > ComputerWar3-3♣
2010-12-31 23:01:12,075 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar2-K♢ > ComputerWar0-9♡ > ComputerWar3-8♣ > ComputerWar1-5♡
2010-12-31 23:01:12,075 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-9♢ > ComputerWar1-8♠ > ComputerWar2-6♠ = ComputerWar3-6♢
2010-12-31 23:01:12,076 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar3-A♠ > ComputerWar0-J♣ > ComputerWar2-10♠ > ComputerWar1-7♠
2010-12-31 23:01:12,076 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar1-8♡ > ComputerWar0-4♡ = ComputerWar2-4♠ > ComputerWar3-3♢
2010-12-31 23:01:12,076 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar0-10♣ > ComputerWar1-8♢ > ComputerWar2-4♣ > ComputerWar3-3♠
2010-12-31 23:01:12,077 - war - DEBUG - ComputerWar2-J♢ > ComputerWar0-2♣ = ComputerWar1-2♠ = ComputerWar3-2♢
side note: __repr__ does not like unicode characters at all. boo. I know there's a __unicode__ magic method somewhere which I'll probably check on

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
I'm fiddling around with ftplib and have a problem - I'm uploading to an FTP server on a less than reliable connection and want to catch timeouts if they occur. I've looked into the signal library to help with this (it's a Xubuntu machine) but although the signal side of things works well with everything else, storbinary doesn't seem to pick anything up without terminating completely.

Some sample code:
code:
import os
import time
import signal
import ftplib

def receive_alarm(signum, stack):
     print 'Alarm :', time.ctime()

signal.signal(signal.SIGALRM, receive_alarm)
signal.alarm(90)
s = ftplib.FTP('myserver.co.za', 'myusername', 'mypass')
s.storbinary('STOR ' + 'filename.tar.gz', open('/home/user/filename.tar.gz'))
If I replace the storbinary line with a time.sleep(120) command, then the alarm triggers and all is well - but if I cut the connection on storbinary while it's busy uploading then the only way to kill the process is by running a kill -9 from the terminal (other kill codes also work, but nothing seems to just interrupt that one line and let it move on).

I'm guessing I'm missing something hideously obvious, but I just can't work it out - failing that, should I be using something different for FTP instead?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I'm guessing I'm missing something hideously obvious, but I just can't work it out - failing that, should I be using something different for FTP instead?

I wouldn't call hideously obvious, but I imagine storbinary is a blocking call. According to the Python docs storbinary has an argument for a callback function after each block is transferred. You might be able to use that.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

I wouldn't call hideously obvious, but I imagine storbinary is a blocking call. According to the Python docs storbinary has an argument for a callback function after each block is transferred. You might be able to use that.

That works (thanks!), although putting together something to find out if the callback was timing out boggled my mind at this hour... I did find a solution though by using socket.setdefaulttimeout(20) and catching that exception - it's probably not as elegant a solution, though.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
Python webbrowser module question. When i open a new page, it opens it through internet explorer. How do i get the module to open through firefox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CrazyPanda posted:

Python webbrowser module question. When i open a new page, it opens it through internet explorer. How do i get the module to open through firefox?

change your default browser

• Locked thread