Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Michaelos posted:

HidingFromGoro, does this sound like a better alternative then existing programs or a worse one? It's discussing something I hadn't heard of called a 'wet house' that focuses on Alcoholics.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16774107

Since it mentioned it was an alternative to prison (among other places), I thought I would post it here.
I'm a fan. We don't spend nearly enough money on harm reduction and it's a crucial step towards sane drug laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Michaelos posted:

HidingFromGoro, does this sound like a better alternative then existing programs or a worse one? It's discussing something I hadn't heard of called a 'wet house' that focuses on Alcoholics.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16774107

Since it mentioned it was an alternative to prison (among other places), I thought I would post it here.

It's not a great idea, but as things are now, it's far better than any other option available to them. The article glosses over the causes as "well I guess some addicts are just uncurable", but it seems like that the forces driving their addictions aren't being fixed - they might go to AA meetings every week but they're still homeless, they're still unhappy, their life still sucks, their friends and family hate them, and their addiction is the only joy they have left.

If we had an actual social safety net, or perhaps a way to help them get back on their feet, their addictions might be curable. Just sending them to mandatory treatment programs without really improving their lives accomplishes nothing in those types of cases. Considering that the residents go out begging during the day, these so-called "wet houses" look to me more like "homeless shelters with a clear alcohol-allowed policy", there's no abuse going on and they even basic medical facilities, and so these places should be supported without question. They're not a solution, but at least they're actually out to benefit these people's lives, rather than slapping a cheap band-aid on their drinking problem and kicking them out into the world during the day.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've read this thread from start to finish so I think I finally feel comfortable posting.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/112163359.html

quote:

ABERDEEN, Wash. (AP) - City officials in Raymond and McCleary are hoping their communities will be the home of a new proposed 1,024-bed state prison intake facility.

The state is asking local governments to sponsor applications for a new Prison Reception Center, the first place offenders go after they are sentenced to incarceration in a state prison.

The Daily World reports the proposed 356,000-square-foot center would cost about $167 million and be ready by 2016. The plan would allow the state prison in Shelton, currently being used as a reception center, to transition to a regular prison again.

Raymond Mayor Bob Jungar says the process will be competitive but "anybody who doesn't consider a pitch for this facility would be crazy."

McCleary Mayor Gary Dent says it's a great opportunity to create jobs and restabilize his community.

I'm sort of disgusted at the idea of opening a prison just to create jobs. And the cost - our state is falling into debt very quickly due to the taxes we just got rid of via initiatives/referendums. I could have sworn that when I was a kid having a prison near by was worse than a nuclear power plant. Very NIMBY. Why has this changed?

Also we just closed a facility at McNeil Island to save $14 million although I believe McNeil Island is a different kind of facility.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
I think it's a very real sign of how desperate people have become in the wake of the collapse of the American manufacturing base. People are welcoming any jobs, even incredibly lovely ones like prison guards. People are desperately trying to hold on to their middle class lifestyles beyond all hope. If that means becoming part of the police state, then so be it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tigntink posted:

I'm sort of disgusted at the idea of opening a prison just to create jobs. And the cost - our state is falling into debt very quickly due to the taxes we just got rid of via initiatives/referendums. I could have sworn that when I was a kid having a prison near by was worse than a nuclear power plant. Very NIMBY. Why has this changed?

Also we just closed a facility at McNeil Island to save $14 million although I believe McNeil Island is a different kind of facility.
In theory, this is just Keynesian stimulus that republicans will support because it is tough on crime. (This doesn't mean I support it, but it may be why everyone gets on board.)

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
  • Georgia prison strike articles: 1 2 3 4

• Colorado: Victory for inmates' 1st Amendment rights as jail drops postcard-only policy following ACLU lawsuit

• Boston: In the wake of US v. Booker, study shows wide disparity in sentencing. This is the flipside to eliminating mandatory minimum sentences- some judges are handing out average sentences double the length of others.

• Maine: Incoming GOP Governor already looking to climb into bed with the for-profit prison industry.

• Alabama: Biggest recipient of federal education stimulus dollars is- you guessed it- the prison system

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Tigntink posted:

I've read this thread from start to finish so I think I finally feel comfortable posting.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/112163359.html

If you're looking for a silver lining, there are a couple of things to consider. One, it's going to be a state facility instead of a poorly-run gravy train for CCA or some other private prison company. This assumes WA doesn't do something stupid like sell it to CCA as soon as it's finished and then lease it back and pay them to run it (especially since they will pay CCA more than it would cost to run it themselves).

Two; dedicated, purpose-built reception and classification centers are a good idea, that's how you make sure things get defused before they start and vulnerable inmates don't go where they'll be most at risk. Also, you need the capacity. Overcrowding and low staff:inmate ratios is a guaranteed recipe for violence, budget meltdowns, and unjust incarceration. Check out California to see how deep that rabbit hole goes. Your choices are to alleviate overcrowding are let thousands or tens of thousands of people out tomorrow and change laws/sentencing guidelines to make sure that a proportionately fewer amount of people are locked up each year going forward- good luck with that. Or you can build more capacity, but the fight is then to continue lowering the amount sentenced otherwise the mentality will be "well we've got more capacity and we've dealt with 150% overcrowding all this time so let's haul 'em in boys."

The other thing to watch out for in WA is the long history of substandard health care and outright medical neglect which results in folks getting their penis cut off

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I found a new graph. Seems like North America isn't the only country with a prison population boom:

Source: http://www.druglawreform.info/images/stories/documents/Systems_Overload/Conclusions_-_En.pdf

Edit:

Good Lord even the Christians are finally getting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQi7A5MW2kQ

Pat Robertson posted:

“We’re locking up people that take a couple of puffs of marijuana and the next thing you know they’ve got ten years – they’ve got mandatory sentences and these judges, they throw up their hand and say ‘What can we do, it’s mandatory sentences.’ We’ve got to take a look at what we’re considering crimes, and that’s one of them. I mean, I’m not exactly for the use of drugs, don’t get me wrong, but I just believe criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of just a few ounces of pot, and that kind of thing, I mean it’s costing us a fortune, and it’s ruining young people. The young people go into prisons, they go in as youths, and they come out as hardened criminals.”

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 23, 2010

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KingEup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQi7A5MW2kQ

This is huge as it hopefully might send the message to the boomers that it's time to change tact.

I'm really quite stunned at this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I agree with Pat Robertson about something. I feel dirty all of a sudden...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:barf:

Excuse me. That quote has made me sick. I know even a broken clock is correct twice a day, but still...

drat! here it goes again!

:barf:

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

KingEup posted:

Don't worry, they already did a press release saying Pat and the CBN are "unequivocally" in favor of weed criminalization.

As an aside: say what you want about the hard-core Bible-thumpers, but they're responsible for helping a lot of people getting their stuff together on the inside. It's easy to find God in prison- the central theme of Christianity is redemption, after all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't want to be accused of a low content post, but jesus loving christ, what can be said about this rear end in a top hat, again.

quote:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio has his own way of getting in the Christmas spirit: he has inmates perform Christmas carols for him "American Idol"-style and serves the winner a "full turkey dinner with all the real trimmings" as opposed to the usual gruel, which the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office says "vaguely resembles an average Christmas meal" and costs 14 cents.

A press release from Arpaio's office says the man who describes himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff" would be holding a caroling contest for pre-trial inmates in "a move likely to make Ebenezer Scrooge smile."

The contest was held on Tuesday and included about 50 inmates "held on charges ranging from burglary and DUI to murder." They were judged by Arpaio, Santa Claus, and Elfis, the singing detention officer, who performed "I'll have a blue Christmas without you."

The winner and his or her cellmates would be served meals with "real full off-the-bone turkey, real mashed potatoes, and Christmas cookies - a treat not usually served in Sheriff Arpaio's tough but humane jail system."

The top three inmate winners were given a "Christmas stocking full of canteen goodies" that the Sheriff asked them to donate to the charity of their choice.

Arpaio's staffers videotaped the performances and will show it to the whole inmate population, the office said in a press release. A phone call for comment wasn't immediately returned.

(H/T Phoenix New Times)

Late Update: Jeff Sprong of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Media Relations Unit informs us that contestant #1, Jodi Arias, won the contest. Arias, who was the subject of a "48 Hours" documentary, is currently awaiting trial for the alleged murder of her boyfriend. More here.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/merry_christmas_sheriff_joe_makes_inmates_sing_for_good_food.php
Pre-trial, IE, innocent people. This loving rear end in a top hat. He's mocking unconvicted people who are in jail on Christmas eve.
I hope he gets Alzheimers, a fate worse than death. Fucker.

nm fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 27, 2010

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I love the 14 cent Christmas dinner. That's just classic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Christ and I thought the processed cheese and hamburger bun sandwiches that pre-trial inmates in Toronto receive was bad enough. gently caress you, Arpaio.

Edit: Just FYI pre-trial inmates in my city are actually fed significantly worse than convicted inmates

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 27, 2010

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Well, you know how the Justice system works, right? You're guilty unless you can weasel out of the charges.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

nm posted:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/merry_christmas_sheriff_joe_makes_inmates_sing_for_good_food.php
Pre-trial, IE, innocent people. This loving rear end in a top hat. He's mocking unconvicted people who are in jail on Christmas eve.
I hope he gets Alzheimers, a fate worse than death. Fucker.

Maybe I'm tripping, but isn't most of his inmates pre-trial?

e: Hey, just noticed all those judges in Maripoca that he was trying to stand-over with raids and poo poo have finally filed suit. Burn motherfucker burn!

duck monster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 28, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

duck monster posted:

Jail holds pre-trial and those sentenced to under 1 yr. I'd venture to guess that it is like 50/50.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

duck monster posted:

e: Hey, just noticed all those judges in Maripoca that he was trying to stand-over with raids and poo poo have finally filed suit. Burn motherfucker burn!

god drat, again with the "real life turns out to actually be WORSE than TV characters I assumed were exaggerated stereotypes".

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I was just watching the CBS Evening News and not five minutes ago they were talking about the terrible weather the West and East Coast has been having and said that in one city out West "546 minimum-security inmates have been working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week to clear the roads".

Legal slavery indeed. Sunup to sundown.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Talk Radio here (Massachusetts) and the news in general have been going balls out since Sunday about how criminals shouldn't be given second chances because a career criminal with a huge rap sheet tried to rob the Jewelry section of the local Kohls and killed a cop in the process.

It looks like it may have legs and derail any sort of prison reform for a few years.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 30, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Talk Radio here (Massachusetts) and the news in general have been going balls out since Sunday about how criminals shouldn't be given second chances because a career criminal with a huge rap sheet tried to rob the Jewelery section of the local Kohls and killed a cop in the process.

It looks like it may have legs and derail any sort of prison reform for a few years.

Fortunately for you, one of the leading prison reform activists in the country is based there.

CQC
Jul 26, 2010

Such a pussy

Pillowpants posted:

Talk Radio here (Massachusetts) and the news in general have been going balls out since Sunday about how criminals shouldn't be given second chances because a career criminal with a huge rap sheet tried to rob the Jewelry section of the local Kohls and killed a cop in the process.

I'm assuming you are talking 96.9? Severin, Graham, McPhee, and that crowd all get off on these sorts of stories every week or so. I wouldn't read too much into it; they aren't exactly shouting into the wind, but their audience isn't getting any new masturbatory fantasies from this one. If it's not this, it's a drug offender or something, usually cow-tailed with a "AND THEIR KIDS WILL BE WORKING FOR YOURS AND MINE HURR A GOOD THING.

Browdy doesn't seem like a bad guy, though. Centerist piece of poo poo, but at least reflective and open to discussion.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HidingFromGoro posted:

IL/MN: More anti-war activists subpoenaed

I don't know what kind of dumb logic is used to connect anti-war activists and terrorists. Terrorists love war because it makes a good recruiting and propaganda tool.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CQC posted:

I'm assuming you are talking 96.9? Severin, Graham, McPhee, and that crowd all get off on these sorts of stories every week or so. I wouldn't read too much into it; they aren't exactly shouting into the wind, but their audience isn't getting any new masturbatory fantasies from this one. If it's not this, it's a drug offender or something, usually cow-tailed with a "AND THEIR KIDS WILL BE WORKING FOR YOURS AND MINE HURR A GOOD THING.

Browdy doesn't seem like a bad guy, though. Centerist piece of poo poo, but at least reflective and open to discussion.

No I was talking to WRKO. Todd and Tom in the morning are fun, plus I get to be yelled at as the pseudo liberal caller sometimes.

It's Howie Carr that's on the rampage and he has more than just local reach.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Scott sisters finally freed!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122905093.html?hpid=topnews

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

The governor asserted that 36-year-old Gladys Scott's release is contingent on her giving a kidney to her inmate sibling.

What the hell? Is he even allowed to do that?

EGZipperelli
Dec 29, 2010

Business is awful, I just can't understand it...
Speaking of one just released from prison in Florida (sentence was 5 years, 2 months, 1 week, 8 days - as read on sentencing papers) I can attest to the horrendous state of the Dept. of Corrections in the U.S.

Not only is sentencing totally absurd (a fellow inmate got a sentence of "a year and a day" which is he minimum sentence necessary to send someone to prison in Florida. His crime? Manslaughter... He killed someone, and got basically 10 months in prison with FL's 85% law), but the state of corruption in the DOC in FL is amazing...

Over 110 cell phones were found at ONE institution in the first 3 months of 2010. To give you an idea, there are over 90 institutions, work camps, annexes, road prisons and work release centers in the state of Florida. Now, 110 cell phones in ONE institution, so imagine, if you will, the amount confiscated across the entire state. Now ask yourself how they got in there... I'll tell you as one who was behind the fence for 5 years, officers in FL-DOC are some of the most crooked, corrupt pieces of trash I've ever seen. However, one can't blame them because the money they get paid (next to nothing), isn't enough to support a family. Ergo, when an inmate approaches one of the Correctional Officers (god forbid you call them guards) with about $500 in cash and says he wants a prepaid phone that costs MAYBE $100, what would YOU do?

Also, I can't remember his name, but there was a Hispanic man on death row who was dragged out of his cell and beaten to death by the CO's. This is not by any means an isolated case. The instances of prisoner beatings, unwarrented dispense of tear gas (MKIV is the name on the can as I recall) and general inhuman treatment of prisoners is nothing new in Florida DOC. Worst part about it? The States Attorney dismisses 99% of prisoner claims and motions to the courts because of "improper filing". The proper method of filing is as follows...

1. Submit an "Informal Grievance" to Classification, stating what happened, any witness statements, etc. At this point, a copy of the Informal Grievance" is sent to the officer accused so he may have a copy, and a copy goes to his personnel file.

2. If no response or relief is received, move to "Formal Grievance" to be submitted to classification to be reviewed by the Head of Classification, the Asst. Warden and the head of security (usually the Colonel or Major or other Officer in Charge [OIC]). At this point, MOST grievances just... disappear, for lack of a better word. And, without a copy of the paper saying it was received by classification, no more filing may be done, because ALL steps must be documented.

3. If, at this point, you haven't had your rear end beaten by officers for "snitching" or your head doesn't hurt enough for the miles of paperwork to be filed, you may, if you have your ducks in a row, appeal to the Secretary of the Dept. of Corrections. A tip? This is just a formality as I've NEVER, in 5 years of incarceration, seen the Secretary overturn or do anything that hasn't been done at an institutional level. So, this is a waste of time, but must be done if you are to move onto step 4...

4. Submit a motion to the State Attorneys Office. And 99% of these motions get denied because they are usually filed Pro Se, and have something petty wrong with them, which allows the SAO to deny the motion.

Bullshit. The motions get dismissed because if word ever got out because of the amount of poo poo that goes on inside the fences, the DOC in FL would be hosed in a big way.

The ONLY thing Florida gets correct is the classification of inmates based on their crimes (determines security level). There are 4 levels of security (5 being death row) 1 being minimum and 4 being "close custody", and every camp is built and houses inmates based on custody levels, thus ensuring a mass murderer isn't housed with, say, a probation violator.

Also, Florida has what is known as the Youthful Offender Act. If, during classification at a Reception Center, you are deemed a "YO", you go to a special YO institution... No adults, just other YO's.

Youthful Offender = age 13-24

However, at any time, at their discretion, the DOC may revoke YO status and send the inmate to an adult institution. Also, if the DOC deems the inmate not fit for YO population, they won't classify them as such, and the inmate will go directly to an adult institution. Reasons for this vary from disciplinary problems to seriousness of crime to length of sentence.

In my opinion, as one who spent 3 years at a YO institution, they are the worst place to have to do time. Referred to as "gladiator schools", they live up to their name. Imagine what happens when you put a bunch of (for example) 16-19 year olds with 10+ years to serve together. Nothing but fighting, because to a 16 year old, 10 years is forever. He doesn't have the mental capacity to realize the majority of poo poo hes doing is wrong and there is punishment. To him, hes IN prison, it can't get worse, thus, shitstorms ensue. I've seen more people in fights, get stabbed, leave the compound from an ambulance or a helicopter or even CO's getting their asses beat at YO camps then at Adult Institutions. Crazy but true...

Well, I'm done ranting now, but feel free to ask any questions related to prison and I'll do my best to answer them from an ex-convicts perspective.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
What kind of postrelease support do you get in FL (if any)?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Xandu posted:

What the hell? Is he even allowed to do that?

Yeah, this is weird, the ramifications in this specific case seem fine (since apparently she was going to give the kidney anyway) but it's crazy for a judge to be able to order anything like that in the first place.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I was just watching the CBS Evening News and not five minutes ago they were talking about the terrible weather the West and East Coast has been having and said that in one city out West "546 minimum-security inmates have been working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week to clear the roads".

Legal slavery indeed. Sunup to sundown.

Have you read this book? The use of prisoners as a kind of slave labor force isn't anything new. In fact, after the Civil War, it was pretty explicit that black slaves misdemeanor violators would be used for specifically that purpose.

Also, just want to post this here:

Click here for the full 744x736 image.

It's from this blog which talks about "Broken Windows" police enforcement and finite prison theory. This is a conservative theory which says there is a finite number of criminals or "wicked people." All it takes to eliminate crime is to lock them up. Lock up enough "wicked people" and eventually crime will be zero. (Second part of the blog is right here)

EGZipperelli, based on your experience in prison, why do you think you and the other inmates were in there? Is there one theory to explain all of them or are the reasons too complicated?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know what kind of dumb logic is used to connect anti-war activists and terrorists. Terrorists love war because it makes a good recruiting and propaganda tool.

The best I can figure is maybe they are going after the people who visit Palestine as peace workers.

Which is a totally hosed up thing.

Truth is, It would seem that now that the FBI has more or less smashed the direct-action forest-rescue movement and more or less the animal liberationists with the whole Green-scare thing(Operation backfire, etc etc) , they have been applying the same tactics to other political dissidents.

Although supposedly ended in 1971, COINTELPRO ended in name, and name alone.

This is why people needed to get worried when judges started handing out humongous sentences for things like the pig farm raids and the likes. It might start with huge sentences for crazy-rear end chicken rescuers and SUV burners, but this path leads to hippies with "No war" banners getting rounded up as terrorists, and from there , God only knows.

EGZipperelli
Dec 29, 2010

HidingFromGoro posted:

What kind of postrelease support do you get in FL (if any)?

Florida will set you up with housing (halfway house) and will help you find employment if you do so desire.

That's about all the post-release support I know of.

HalPhillipWalker posted:

EGZipperelli, based on your experience in prison, why do you think you and the other inmates were in there? Is there one theory to explain all of them or are the reasons too complicated?

Variety of reasons really... There are your guys that just did something stupid, and don't belong in prison (I fit into this category), there are the general gently caress ups and can't get rights, there are career criminals and there are actual innocent guys (VERY few and far between but you DO see them)

Theories as to why people do stupid poo poo to get themselves locked up? WAYYYY too many to even attempt to list. I've literally heard that "the drugs made me do it" (convicted drug trafficker) to "I needed the money for my family to eat" (convicted robber) to "that motherfucker had it coming to him" (convicted murderer)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Yeah, this is weird, the ramifications in this specific case seem fine (since apparently she was going to give the kidney anyway) but it's crazy for a judge to be able to order anything like that in the first place.

I guess I wasn't the only one confused. Looks like the sisters proposed it and it's not actually conditional.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/30/AR2010123002930.html?hpid=sec-politics posted:

While Barbour's decision in the Scotts' case was lauded by the NAACP, some medical ethicists say they are concerned about the role of the organ donation in the release. Barbour's spokesman Dan Turner said the contingency was Gladys Scott's idea.

"It was something that she offered," he said. "It was not something that the governor's office or Department of Corrections or the parole board said, 'If you do this, we would do this.' It was not held as a quid pro quo. She offered."

The medical ethicists say they're still concerned, even if the donation is voluntary.

"If the sister belongs in prison, then she should be allowed to donate and return to prison, and if she doesn't belong in prison, then she should have her sentence commuted whether or not she is a donor," said Michael Shapiro, chief of organ transplantation at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey and chair of the United Network for Organ Sharing's ethics committee.

NAACP President Benjamin Jealous, who met with Barbour about the sisters' case, said the governor's office has made it clear Gladys Scott will not go back to prison if her kidney is not a match. Both sisters will follow traditional parole release procedures.

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mississippi governor cuts some slave labor loose to starve in medical debt for some PR points and to save the prisons money that could be spent on white guards and possibly prison owners.

EGZipperelli
Dec 29, 2010

The Celling of America: A Look Inside America's Prison Industry

Really, REALLY good book about U.S (mostly California and Texas, but all states touched upon) prisons. Lots of essays from actual prisoners detailing every aspect of life behind the fence.

I read it while I was locked up and thought the writing was excellent and spot on when describing "inside life"

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

• Locked thread