Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wigtrade.cc posted:

Is there a term or TV Trope for characters that exist only to inconvenience the protagonist

like Ed's sister from Ed Edd n Eddy or the Kids from Eureka 7

Comedic foil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

kapalama posted:

Stuff

Not the answer I was hoping for but thank you for the reply :] The newspaper article is concerning some legal charges that are actually false, and it shows up on google search, so it's not a very good situation right now.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anybody know that book that's kind of cartoon-y and short but is about death? Morbid stuff like being jealous of a houseplant because it dies so early. My memory is hazy on this.

Are you thinking of All My Friends Are Dead?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I recently painted my entire room with my dad, and we just finished the paint job last night. The smell of paint is still pretty strong, we've ran fans and tried keeping the window open [with little success because its far too cold to keep it open for too long].

Is there a way to speed up the process? I can get used to the odor if im in the room for a while, but it still is quite noticeable, and I really want to take a nap right now. Its an enamel based paint.

Ahh screw it I fell asleep in the room, I can do it again.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 29, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Does anybody know where on https://www.paypal.com I can see when I signed up for PayPal? I know there used to be a spot but I cannot find it now. Thanks!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything in labor law about being forced to come in to work on very short notice. Situation: already worked today, now I'm out and busy, work calls and wants me to come in in about an hour, but I said I'm not available. I've gotten poo poo from my boss for not being available on short notice when I'm off work and not scheduled to be at work before. Its starting to piss me off, I'm not paid nearly enough to be on-call. If they threaten to fire me over this do I have any recourse?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Does anybody know where on https://www.paypal.com I can see when I signed up for PayPal? I know there used to be a spot but I cannot find it now. Thanks!

Do you have a verified account? You can see your creation date on the verification page.

https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=yourname@domain.com

Replace with your email address obviously.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

Is there anything in labor law about being forced to come in to work on very short notice. Situation: already worked today, now I'm out and busy, work calls and wants me to come in in about an hour, but I said I'm not available. I've gotten poo poo from my boss for not being available on short notice when I'm off work and not scheduled to be at work before. Its starting to piss me off, I'm not paid nearly enough to be on-call. If they threaten to fire me over this do I have any recourse?

It depends entirely on where you live, but in general in the US either you or your employer can terminate your employment without notice for just about any reason short of discrimination and a few other exceptions.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Reason posted:

Obviously it depends on where you live. You should be able to find a phone number you can call and get information.

But, generally, you're only considered on-call when there are specific restrictions placed on you. Like, you have to be able to get to work within an hour and so you can't travel far from work. Or you would have to leave your cell phone on if you went and saw a movie since they might call you.

I'd check what on-call is defined as where you live, then see if you can get your boss to admit to something that fits the description. "So, you mean I can't make plans in the evening that would stop me from coming into work on an hours notice??" Try to get it in writing (e-mail). Then tell him you want to be paid on-call time. If he refuses, then you've got yourself covered.

But, I'm just guessing here, so phone information for labor laws for wherever you live instead of listening to some random internet poster.

Also, they can always just lay you off instead of firing you.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 29, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

Do you have a verified account? You can see your creation date on the verification page.

https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=yourname@domain.com

Replace with your email address obviously.

Thank you! Another question, is there an easy way to convert from FLAC to mp3? I tried to do it thru this dumb winamp tutorial and I can't figure it out.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Is there any way to turn off the preview feature in Google? I mean, so that when you mouse over a search result it won't automatically come up with a preview of the website? I find it really annoying.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bojanglesworth posted:

Thank you! Another question, is there an easy way to convert from FLAC to mp3? I tried to do it thru this dumb winamp tutorial and I can't figure it out.

If you just have a few small files you can use http://media.io/ to convert them online. Your media manager should have a way to do it internally, though, or there should be a plugin for it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Not the answer I was hoping for but thank you for the reply :] The newspaper article is concerning some legal charges that are actually false, and it shows up on google search, so it's not a very good situation right now.

Newspapers almost never leave themselves open to litigation. All one has to write is 'alleged" and anything at all can be written after it.

If charges were filed and they report that fact, they are simply restating public record. Even if the charges are dropped they were still filed.

Charged does not mean one was convicted, or even that the charges were pursued.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

Is there any way to turn off the preview feature in Google? I mean, so that when you mouse over a search result it won't automatically come up with a preview of the website? I find it really annoying.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I meant something that would turn it off permanently.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My question went unanswered on the previous page...

AIM changed one of my passwords for my screen name. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL but they're useless. I'm desperate. How can I get my password back?

When I pass the image verification, it reads

quote:

We're sorry. We do not have enough information to reset your password. If you are unable to remember it you will need to create a new Username.

I've been looking for solutions all weekend. Can't anybody help me? There has to be SOMETHING I can do. :bang:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Google gets me instructions but no actual smaple documents...

I need a sample MLA format paper with a separate title page, and Style Ease is apparently out of business.

Hjalp?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

I meant something that would turn it off permanently.

That's as permanent as it gets. It won't show up again on any result until you click another preview icon.

Your only other option is to install a firefox/chrome icon to disable it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Does anyone know where I can order a trophy base with a front that can have names engraved onto it? It would look similar to this:

I just need the base. I don't need anything on top of it, and there just needs to be room for four names. I've searched for hours, and I can't find a reasonably priced website. The best site for a base I've found is HAL Woodworking, but they want an extra like $30 to put the plates on the front.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 29, 2010

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Aggro posted:

Does anyone know where I can order a trophy base with a front that can have names engraved onto it? It would look similar to this:

I just need the base. I don't need anything on top of it, and there just needs to be room for four names. I've searched for hours, and I can't find a reasonably priced website.

Call a trophy store in your area.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bojanglesworth posted:

Format factory
http://www.formatoz.com/

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I might just be making things up here, but I'm trying to think of a movie about an English queen, or that has a queen/royalty in it, that came out within the last 5 years or so. I think it's from around the time of Queen Elizabeth, maybe as late as Queen Victoria. And no, it's not The Queen or Marie Antoinette (and definitely not Alice in Wonderland). I guess it could be one of the movies Cate Blanchett starred in but I'm ruling those out for now. The main subject might not be a queen but I have this image in my mind from seeing a clip on a late night talk show of a Elizabethan looking queen, complete with the white make-up and red/purple dress, being all terse and stuffy.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 29, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Charleston Jew posted:

I might just be making things up here, but I'm trying to think of a movie about an English queen, or that has a queen/royalty in it, that came out within the last 5 years or so. I think it's from around the time of Queen Elizabeth, maybe as late as Queen Victoria. And no, it's not The Queen or Marie Antoinette (and definitely not Alice in Wonderland). I guess it could be one of the movies Cate Blanchett starred in but I'm ruling those out for now. The main subject might not be a queen but I have this image in my mind from seeing a clip on a late night talk show of a Elizabethan looking queen, complete with the white make-up and red/purple dress, being all terse and stuffy.

Could it have been Elizabeth I, a TV series with Helen Mirren? It won a bunch of awards.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
How many gallons of liquid would fit in a hole that is 60 square miles and 160 feet deep?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ThirstyGirl posted:

How many gallons of liquid would fit in a hole that is 60 square miles and 160 feet deep?
2 trillion gallons give or take.

V Beaten with correct math

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 29, 2010

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
By my calculations: 2.00203118 × 10^12 US gallons

60 square miles = 155 399 287 square meters
160 feet = 48.76800 meters

155399287 * 48.768 = 7578512428.416 cubic meters
7578512428.416 cubic meters = 7578512428416 liters
1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons
7578512428416 liters * 0.264172052 = 2002031179322.16 US gallons

E:f;b. But there's the (metric) calculations anyway.

Daemus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 29, 2010

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Daemus posted:

By my calculations: 2.00203118 × 10^12 US gallons

60 square miles = 155 399 287 square meters
160 feet = 48.76800 meters

155399287 * 48.768 = 7578512428.416 cubic meters
7578512428.416 cubic meters = 7578512428416 liters
1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons
7578512428416 liters * 0.264172052 = 2002031179322.16 US gallons

E:f;b. But there's the (metric) calculations anyway.

Hmmm.. Google gives me 1.20121871 × 10^14 US gallons.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
erp.. edit != quote.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a real reason charcoal bags always say "never use gasoline to start charcoal"?

I mean I know the preferred way is not using any petroleum products at all, but somehow lighter fluid is ok to big-charcoal? As long as you're letting the coals get glowing red you should have burnt everything off.

And to me, just by smell and feel gasoline seems like a much lighter/thinner and cleaner petroleum product than charcoal starter.

I'm a 1st time gasoline user as of last night. I was using 2 charcoal chimneys and couldn't get my paper-wad to stay lit in either, I couldn't find charcoal starter, so I went for the gas. I didn't put gasoline directly on the charcoal at least, I put like half a shotglass of gas on each paper wad. That got it going real good and within 10 15 minutes all my homemade* hickory lump charcoal was glowing red. Steaks were great, no gas taste at all.

* I get lump charcoal as a waste product out of my propane smoker, hickory goes in to oxygen-deprived environment, gets its essence smoked out into the briskets and sassages and perfect black charcoal comes out for steaks later, how awesome is that?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 29, 2010

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

JasonV posted:

Hmmm.. Google gives me 1.20121871 × 10^14 US gallons.

I don't know what's up with that, because Google also says this:
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&biw=1331&bih=594&q=60+square+miles+x+160+feet+in+gallons&fp=6a0673dc5c3f3912

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wagonburner posted:

Is there a real reason charcoal bags always say "never use gasoline to start charcoal"?
I always assumed it was just to prevent morons from soaking their grill in gas and blowing themselves up. Lighter fluid comes in much smaller cans.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I always assumed it was just to prevent morons from soaking their grill in gas and blowing themselves up. Lighter fluid comes in much smaller cans.

Yeah that's all I could find googling it was people talking about safety reasons.

"gasoline dangerous! and it will make your food taste like petroleum! soak that poo poo in lighter fluid from the store, wait 3 minutes and soak it again!" :downs:

I'm guessing not everyone starts their charcoal or smoker with leaves raked away, a water-soaked 15' radius of earth, water hose within reach and ready, no wearing of synthetic fibers and actually knowing the safe location of bottles or cans of flammable petroleum stuff before flicking a lighter.

(I mow the lawn in steel toe full height boots, welding apron/mask and do pre-checks of my life insurance policy and beneficiary info on my funds)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 29, 2010

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bojanglesworth posted:

foobar2000 can do this also.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Parents have an upright piano and want to get rid of it when they retire, is it going to be worth it to ship it about 1000 miles across the country to me? There's a bunch of calculators online but I don't know exact dimensions. Has anyone shipped a piano before?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know this was probably answered in the movies, but why was jarjar binks ever given a position of power?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wagonburner posted:

Yeah that's all I could find googling it was people talking about safety reasons.

"gasoline dangerous! and it will make your food taste like petroleum! soak that poo poo in lighter fluid from the store, wait 3 minutes and soak it again!" :downs:

I'm guessing not everyone starts their charcoal or smoker with leaves raked away, a water-soaked 15' radius of earth, water hose within reach and ready, no wearing of synthetic fibers and actually knowing the safe location of bottles or cans of flammable petroleum stuff before flicking a lighter.

(I mow the lawn in steel toe full height boots, welding apron/mask and do pre-checks of my life insurance policy and beneficiary info on my funds)

I can answer authoritatively from watching Mythbusters that it's because gasoline is far more likely than lighter fluid to produce a gigantic fireball when you throw the match. Gasoline vapor is flammable, lighter fluid is not or is at least much harder to vaporize before lighting.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In the UK parliament, when a minister resigns (like some threatened to do over the university fees issues lately, I think), does that mean that they just resign their position as minister for something and they are still an MP? Or does it mean they resign from the whole job?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

haveblue posted:

I can answer authoritatively from watching Mythbusters that it's because gasoline is far more likely than lighter fluid to produce a gigantic fireball when you throw the match. Gasoline vapor is flammable, lighter fluid is not or is at least much harder to vaporize before lighting.

So as long as you're a mr. safety and know what to expect, and don't have an environment where vapor can "stand" it's sounding like it's perfectly ok? not going to hurt the food so long as you let the coals heat up red all the way?

And now I understand why lighter fluid is a heavier/thicker product than gas, so it wont vaporize like that. I never thought of it in a safety sense. Just thought it was big-charcoal trying to push something cheap and oily on us for several times the price by volume as gasoline.

Still I'd prefer no petroleum involved at all but I was hungry and paper wasn't working on its own this time.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 29, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Stew Man Chew posted:

Parents have an upright piano and want to get rid of it when they retire, is it going to be worth it to ship it about 1000 miles across the country to me? There's a bunch of calculators online but I don't know exact dimensions. Has anyone shipped a piano before?

I think that entirely depends what brand of Piano it is, or if it has some sort of sentimental value to you. You can pick up an upright Piano for free all day on craigslist from Churches and Schools, I do know however that the cost of moving a Piano even across the street is a couple hundred dollars. I imagine that moving one across the country would be ten fold more than it is worth unless this particular piano is a Steinway that Hey Jude was written on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
I want to figure what fonts were used in Tron:Legacy.

I'm not talking about the title and its classic TRON font, more like the example attached.

- the menus on his dads computer
- the end credits (Could not for the life of me find an example)

Is there a way to Help me find what these fonts were? I tried looking at the sites of the visual effects companies involved, with no luck, point me in the right direction?

and I care only for the font, not the interface

example:

Tangra fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 29, 2010