Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FelicityGS posted:

You need to put a little tension on the yarn to get a more tightly wound ball. I usually use my foot/a chair leg/some object x and wrap the yarn around it and then put the strand on the winder before I start. It doesn't always work, but it does work a lot of the time.

I hold my hand on the metal eye the yarn goes through before it hits the winder, then I stick out my index and middle fingers and run the yarn through it, so I can tension it through there (I guess like you'd hold a cigarette?). Also, I have the swift attached to a table like 8 feet away from the winder, it all goes pear shaped for me if the shift and winder are too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh...poo poo. That wasn't there the last time I looked either...shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

IT'S SO PRETTY.

Hmm guess I'll go look a the yarn and holy poo poo I NEED THAT YARN

Even though I spent most of yesterday sorting and trying to find a place for the yarn I have now. :ohdear:

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Fionnoula posted:

I hold my hand on the metal eye the yarn goes through before it hits the winder, then I stick out my index and middle fingers and run the yarn through it, so I can tension it through there (I guess like you'd hold a cigarette?). Also, I have the swift attached to a table like 8 feet away from the winder, it all goes pear shaped for me if the shift and winder are too close.

YES! They were way too close, too, since I was using my desk. It wasn't helping that I was holding instead of clamping the winder, either. But ... success with pinchy method! I'd tried wrapping and near the metal guide but wasn't as nice. It's like crack now that I have it down.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same
I f'd up real good and put this as a post. I'm a baby.

anyways...

SPEAKING OF CHROMEO

I was oogling it all day at work. I'm going to do a Clapotis knit-a-long with my stitch & bitches and need to get the yarn.

Anybody have success with a sock yarn for the Clap? Something that's drapey and turned out real nice?

digitalscribbles
Jan 6, 2005

I'm a sillybean!
I've knitted 40 rows so far. Yay! lol I used US size 15 for casting on, then used US size 10 for the rest of it. So far every thing is even and not turning into a giant V.

Whew. I figured a scarf was the easiest way to learn the basics so that's what I'm doing.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

TauntTheOctopi posted:

My half vest is in the car, I just put down my third half-scarf (see below), so I guess I need to start on a sock now?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Half a second sock right now. Got to the heel while watching something good on telly so decided not to risk lapses in concentration. Going to print out the pattern and knit it on my New Years Eve train ride to Worcester (and probably bring a whole load of extra yarn too, because I know what Network Rail are like around this time of year)

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

Drei posted:

This is the Dipped Infinity Scarf by Lauren Chau. You pick 8 colors of sock yarn and knit using two strands together, dropping one color and joining a new one every two pattern repeats to get an ombre effect. It was fairly mindless but picking out the color gradient was fun.

I must make this. It's just so pretty! I've looked at a bunch of them and know how to do the diagonal fan stitch - is there anything in the pattern that's worth shelling out for? It doesn't seem all that complicated, just insanely pretty!

I had a fantastic Christmas with my boyfriend this year. A few months ago my favourite knitted scarf got eaten by moths and I was very very sad. The boyfriend paid attention when we were in John Lewis and went and bought me 4 replacement balls of purple Rowan Big Wool. He also got me some cedar moth balls! Isn't he the best?

Now if any one asks, I'm telling them he got me moth balls for Christmas.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My queue for next year (so far) has three sweaters, two colorwork hats, a pair of lace socks (lol like I'm only going to knit one pair of socks next year) a beaded lace shawl, and a deep sea anglerfish.

The scary thing is that the only thing I MIGHT have to buy yarn for is the anglerfish. Even that's kinda iffy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I've got the half sweater (well, it's more like 3/4 sweater now) and one half sock and one sock that doesn't have a mate yet. I never did make it to casting on my hat. :suicide:

Tacohead posted:

I was oogling it all day at work. I'm going to do a Clapotis knit-a-long with my stitch & bitches and need to get the yarn.

Anybody have success with a sock yarn for the Clap? Something that's drapey and turned out real nice?

Something with a little silk content will drape beautifully. While not sure, I think bamboo content will also make it drape nicely.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Well, I actually finished all my Christmas knitting in time for Christmas! I finished my brother's sweater 2 days before the big day, and I had more than a ball of yarn left over (that's the third sweater I've made from that book and the third time I had WAY too much yarn left after buying the exact amount it calls for :argh:) So then I used the excess to make hats for him and his girlfriend too.

If I'm smart (I'm totally not), I'll start my Christmas pile NOW and have it all done by March or April. I think I'll do my husband's long-awaited sweater next, then some socks for my kiddo who refuses to wear store-bought socks (what can I say, my 3 year old has EXCELLENT taste!).

For my Christmas knitting haul, I got EZ's Knitter's Almanac, a book on Aran design, one on geurnsey design (can you tell what kind of sweater my husband's angling for?), and One Skein by Leigh Radford. Also, some new Harmony tips - an extra set of size 7 tips and a set of 7mm! YAY FOR 7mm, the most elusive of sizes (in the US anyway)! Also, some new cable needles because I lose them every single time I do a cabling project, and some buttons made from harmony offcuts. I have good reason to believe I'll be getting a late gift of some Chroma as well, maybe I'll FINALLY get to make myself a pair of socks.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Greetings knitting community! Been lurking and drooling over this thread for a bit now, thought I'd say hello.

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Oof, this is me. One half blanket, one half hat(Chuthlu for my son), and one 4/5ths hat(Bunny hat missing one ear for my daughter). Nevermind the stuff I have planned for me. :sigh:

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I get this knitting fever once a year in December and January because it's the only time it's sort of cold around here. Mostly I just acquire yarn, start things and don't finish them, but I made a new hat for my wee nephew:

It's the "Flower" hat from the book "Itty-Bitty Nursery" by Susan B. Anderson except I made it stripey, didn't put a flower on it, knit some leaves (this is the first time I have ever increased! The leaves are a bit wonky but I'm proud) and chain-stitched a vine up the side. The yarn is Manos del Uruguay Cotton Stria.

Turns out my nephew is in a no-hats phase right now and tears the hat off if it's put on him, but... maybe he'll like it in a few months!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I need a knitting bag.

I have some Christmas money, and it dawned on me that carrying my knitting around in one of those fifty cent Wal-Mart bags is a tad 'uncool'.

Does anyone here have a suggestion? I need something sturdy, closes at the top, and isn't a fifty cent bag from Wal-Mart.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know how much you have to spend, but I splurged on one for me a while back. It's a Jordana Paige messenger style bag, and I adore it. You can see it here (mine has a blue cover instead of the plaid). You can fit so much into it--I usually keep two socks and a slightly larger project in mine without much trouble. Most of my notions go in too, I'd be pretty lost without it some days.

Much cheaper and of the project-specific type are Julip Bags, which I like for the adorable prints. I have a little sock one, and it fits pretty comfortably on the wrist/arm and is just the right size for socks. The bags are sturdy, and she's very nice. Her shop is here.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I better add that I'm looking for one around $20-30. :v:

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

I got this one off Etsy. It doesn't have anything fancy, but neither does your plastic bag.

I still carry my stuff in plastic bags though.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I have two: a Booga Bag I knitted myself (I made it a bit bigger than the pattern calls for). My mother sewed in a nice liner with pockets and stuff for my little bits. Mostly though, I use a big canvas totebag with a drawstring closure that I got from Barnes & Noble in the summer of 2009. They do them every year now, I guess. It's their "summer reading tote" or somesuch - I think it was $9.00 if you bought two books. It's plenty big enough for my projects, some magazines, my Harmony needle binder & the rest of my crap. I keep all my little tools & notions in a little flat tackle box with moveable partitions.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I use tote bags I pick up here and there... my two favorites are the ones I got at X Japan and Man Man shows for $20 each.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same
I love my Persnikety knitting clutches but she's stopped making them in favor of writing patterns. I'm aching to get my hands on another one, but I can never find anyone who's trying to give their's up.

Tacohead fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 5, 2011

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Slashie helped me organize my purse in the women's fashion megathread, and I wound up buying a bunch of little makeup cases for it. Two are the perfect size for portable projects (like gloves, mittens, socks, a hat) plus little incidentals. They have the one main pocket (which zips), plus, on the inside, a zipped side compartment (notions!) and an open side compartment to slide the pattern into. They come in a couple different colors so you can know which project you're grabbing -- they're just the perfect thing to throw into your everyday purse. I think they're usually like $9 but e.l.f. is always doing huge sales.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I really ought to get a dedicated knitting bag too, I have a terrible habit of shoving it into the tote back I'm already using (I don't even like tote bags, the strap is never long enough and I can't find anything in them) and then it gets chocolate on it or something.

Or I use the plastic grocery bag method sometimes, yeah.

Anyway, I thought you guys might appreciate this: my roommate/best friend knit some Dr. Who dolls for some other friends of hers who recently got into the show.

Unfortunately they were both killed and eaten by a giant preying mantis. From space, I assume.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Finally finished my first scarf! Not happy with the cast on edge (used long tail, it is curling terribly) and I haven't yet mastered the art of weaving in and trimming the ends (it made a fuzz thread stick out in places :() but overall I'm happy! Only the second project I've completed.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Whoa yeah you're just making your cast on and bind off waaaay too tight, which is totally normal in my experience with people who just started knitting. All you can do is make sure you do it looser in the future - that's one of those learned things that comes with time.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Whoa yeah you're just making your cast on and bind off waaaay too tight, which is totally normal in my experience with people who just started knitting. All you can do is make sure you do it looser in the future - that's one of those learned things that comes with time.

Agreed. But if you continue to have problems with it and just can't fix it, just do what my mom does - cast on with needles two sizes bigger than the project needles.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah I figured that was my problem. Though, the bind off wasn't TOO bad, the cast on was pretty awful!

It was an experience anyway, next attempt will go better!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I'm almost done with the scarf- I have like 4 inches left to knit. I'm really afraid of doing the cast off though- every time I tried to do it I messed it up. I think that might have something to do with how tight my stitches were when I was first practicing... I think I should be able to pull it off, but I hope I don't ruin things!

I'm also not sure how to hide the loose threads- I have two loose threads from where I added a fresh ball of yarn, then I'll have the two ends. Looking around at the books I checked out last night didn't help much- I guess I'm going to have to look around online!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm almost done with the scarf- I have like 4 inches left to knit. I'm really afraid of doing the cast off though- every time I tried to do it I messed it up. I think that might have something to do with how tight my stitches were when I was first practicing... I think I should be able to pull it off, but I hope I don't ruin things!

I'm also not sure how to hide the loose threads- I have two loose threads from where I added a fresh ball of yarn, then I'll have the two ends. Looking around at the books I checked out last night didn't help much- I guess I'm going to have to look around online!

Knitty has a tutorial on how to do it here . It's pretty good, too. There also a few videos over at knitting help if you need to see it in motion.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same
I started my Clap! With lace weight Noro. I put all the details on Ravelry but also here's a picture of it with my knitting clutch I was talking about.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Finished my mother's christmas present on the 1st, and never did get around to proper pictures. So have this one instead!

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

It's Coventry, from the Fall 10 Twist Collective. I'm pretty happy with it, and glad I got it done while I was still visiting home. My mom loves it.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

That's so pretty and comfy looking! You've inspired me to continue to try and teach myself to knit. :)

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I've been too shy to post here since I am still so new to knitting. :blush: So far I have made a wonky scarf for my boyfriend and a kitty plushie for his new baby nephew.

But I wanted to show you all this in case there are any UK goons reading:

http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/jumpers.aspx

I went to buy some more yarn today (I thought this was going to be a cheap hobby, but no...), and the lady behind the counter told me all about this and gave me a copy of the pattern, so my attempts to make more stuffed toys are on hold while I try this. I like the idea of little chickens snuggled up in a jacket I made for them. :3:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

Finished my mother's christmas present on the 1st, and never did get around to proper pictures. So have this one instead!

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

It's Coventry, from the Fall 10 Twist Collective. I'm pretty happy with it, and glad I got it done while I was still visiting home. My mom loves it.

Oh that looks fantastic. How long did it take and what yarn is that? I'm tempted to try it (eventually).

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I've broken down and queued up another baby blanket, but only because a) that kid will be my nephew since my guy finally proposed after all these years and b) I found a cute pattern in bulky weight yarn. I love knitting but not 2 months of tiny stitches for something I'm not keeping (does that make me a bitch? :()

Has anyone used Baby's First yarn, the cotton acrylic blend by Lion Brand? It seems perfect, but a lot of comments are complaining on Ravelry that it's really splitty and I'd hate to order some and find it's crappy for my yarn snob tastes. (The one I'm working on now I'm using wool ease and I hate it so much, splitty and pilly as hell) Or maybe you have an affordable, easy care, perhaps cotton based, bulky yarn that's baby friendly that you'd recommend? I've never tried the knitpicks comfy to know if its pettable or more apt for a scrubber. I'm thinking cotton since he's a spring baby.

Blanket pattern in case anyone's interested: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/concentric-squares-baby-blanket

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks everyone!

Ojo posted:

I've been too shy to post here since I am still so new to knitting. :blush: So far I have made a wonky scarf for my boyfriend and a kitty plushie for his new baby nephew.

But I wanted to show you all this in case there are any UK goons reading:

http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/jumpers.aspx

I went to buy some more yarn today (I thought this was going to be a cheap hobby, but no...), and the lady behind the counter told me all about this and gave me a copy of the pattern, so my attempts to make more stuffed toys are on hold while I try this. I like the idea of little chickens snuggled up in a jacket I made for them. :3:

Those are so cute, I wonder if I could make some and mail them over?

Thanks everyone!

Shnooks posted:

Oh that looks fantastic. How long did it take and what yarn is that? I'm tempted to try it (eventually).

If I had sat down and knit it, I think it would have taken me 6 weeks and a few days--a week to a piece, and a few days to let it all block and then seam it.

I used superwash cascade 220 (my lys was having a sale to move some of it). I don't know if I'd recommend it--it grows a LOT lengthways when washed, so you'd really need to know that before you start. My gauge swatch lied to me, but my mom thinks the length is perfect, so that's what counts.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I still carry my stuff in plastic bags though.

I keep my knitting in nice paper bags from posh shops and boutiques and what-not because they're sturdy and tend to stand up when you put them on the floor to knit. If you use a Crabtree & Evelyn or Lush bag, your knitting will get scented too!

I finished my second sock, huzzah. Second Sock Syndrome, pah, you have about as much sway over me as the boyfriend jumper curse (although I did break up with the last guy so maybe there's some truth in that).

FelicityGS, that cardigan looks super cosy. I never knit anything for my mum because she's picky although that's the same reason she never knits anything for me...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

I used superwash cascade 220 (my lys was having a sale to move some of it). I don't know if I'd recommend it--it grows a LOT lengthways when washed, so you'd really need to know that before you start. My gauge swatch lied to me, but my mom thinks the length is perfect, so that's what counts.

Oh poo poo, really? I'm making a Central Park Hoodie in Cascade 220 Superwash...

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I knitted a raglan sweater with it last year and haven't had any issues. When I wash it I'm just really careful to reshape and flat dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

My experience was entirely different--some parts grew about 1-2". I suppose if knit more tightly/evenly it might keep it from happening, but I tend to knit kind of loose and always go down needle sizes.