Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I don't do anything about slipcases because I don't care. My DVDs and Blu-Rays aren't even alphabetised, just put on the shelf wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I hope your job involves going to Wal-Mart in some capacity.

may you never have a spoiled 5-year-old niece.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So if this was mentioned maybe I glossed over it, but is there any other release of Inception on the horizon? Because I got a copy for Christmas and watched it last night and the extras are really really really terrible. I was hoping for some sort of making-of features and the like and instead I got a boring documentary about dreams and some lovely 'prequel' in animated comic book form.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Sirotan posted:

So if this was mentioned maybe I glossed over it, but is there any other release of Inception on the horizon? Because I got a copy for Christmas and watched it last night and the extras are really really really terrible. I was hoping for some sort of making-of features and the like and instead I got a boring documentary about dreams and some lovely 'prequel' in animated comic book form.

As far as making the film I believe those features are part of 'Extraction Mode' on the main disc, but I think that just shows you how specific scenes were made and not the film as a whole.

Just like 'The Dark Knight' the extras are very disappointing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Twilight Zone Season 1 dropped to $46.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JBI3GA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003JBI3GA

- edit And Deadwood: The Complete Series dropped to $99.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129AJFO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00129AJFO

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 27, 2010

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

may you never have a spoiled 5-year-old niece.

Speaking of, I spoiled my niece rotten for Christmas this year.
Basically bought up all the classic Disney releases I could find and got her a bunch of newer ones as well. God bless the combo packs, I keep the blu-ray and she gets the DVD. I was almost heartbroken because she just tossed the DVD wallet aside when I handed it to her, but later caught her watching Sleeping Beauty by her lonesome.

For 2010 I snagged:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
The Princess and The Frog
Toy Story 1, 2 and 3

Now I bought those throughout the entire year and I simply hadn't gotten around to watching them yet, save for the Toy Story trilogy. So after Christmas was done and dusted I've taken to watching them in one big glut and they're simply gorgeous. Even Snow White which is now well over 70 years old looks absolutely breathtaking. I hadn't seen most of these films since I was a kid and they're simply a delight to watch again.

Think I'll do the same thing for 2011. Looking really nice already.
Fantasia (It's not out in Aus yet)
Bambi
Alice in Wonderland
The Lion King

And whatever else they decide to throw at us this year. Personally I could go for a few more of their 90's releases, but anything is good. Really looking forward to seeing The Lion King on BRD, but I'd kill to be able to get her Peter Pan for Christmas next year because she's huge on all things Tinkerbell.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 27, 2010

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I never said that, I was just giving my reasons for disliking them. I'll admit that I can be very anal about cases and how things look on shelves, I like uniformity with that stuff and slip covers gently caress that up.

I personally don't hate slip covers. Some of them, especially the ones for the Disney animated releases, are very nice. But then when I want to watch a movie I end up taking it off and laying it down somewhere. It doesn't stand up or anything and I don't display it. Since I haven't decided to throw them out, or sell them yet, I just take them and put them in a cardboard box in the closet.

I probably can't even sell them because there are people who get worked up over the tiniest scratch on a cover.

The people obsessed with slip covers would be right at home in the early 1990s comic book speculator market.

The only blu-rays that I keep separate on my shelf are the digibook/oversized releases (like Close Encounters or Bridge on the River Kwai) because they tend to look nice together. Like you said, the uniformity thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cannot.

loving.

Believe.

HOW GOOD ALIEN AND ALIENS LOOKS!

Holy poo poo! Like they were made yesterday, just so loving crisp and ... ugh, wow. I love em! The book is so goddamn nice too, what a way to package things!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear makers of Back to the Future packaging,

:argh:

- Tony Danza Claus

(yes, I'm late to the party. but holy poo poo.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

I put all of my discs in binders and throw away the cases, including Criterions.
Not really

I just keep everything as it comes - including the little slip Band of Brothers comes in.

Most Digibook releases come with a paper on the back - and I keep those, too.

I assume there's a website out there tracks what BD comes with what slipcover and so forth, if I wanted to be super spergy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

After the excellent Criterion and MoC editions, UFA in Germany is finally putting out their edition...

M: 80th Anniversary Restoration - Feb. 26 (~$35 USD)

"MEDIABOOK" (Digibook) Packaging with a 60 page booklet including the original premiere program, storyboards, photos, press materials, and stuff from a comic book adaptation.

Disc 1 (Region Free BD-50):

- New restored transfer in 1.19:1, 1080p
- 2001 Preservation Master Audio Track (DTS MA 2.0)
- 2011 Restoration Master Audio Track (DTS MA 2.0)
- 1960 Re-Issue Trailer (HD)
- Audio Commentary (in German - doesn't seem to be as film-specific as the Criterion or MoC tracks)
- Optional English and German subtitles

Disc 2 (Region 0/PAL DVD)

- 96 Minute documentary on the making of the film and restoration
- 45 minute version comparison (original '31, British '32, '60 re-issue, and the '95, '01, and '11 restorations). Optional commentary by Martin Koerber and Torsten Kaiser
- For Example: Fritz Lang (interview - same as Criterion/MoC except remastered)
- Original 1931 Trailer
- Photo Gallery
- DVD-ROM PDF with articles, censor cards, and photos

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For everyone who waited on Moon, it's $8.99 on Amazon right now.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Sirotan posted:

From what I have heard Nolan really likes his movies to stand on their own. He doesn't really like to put tons of bonus content on the disk. I guess he wants his fans to buy the films because you love his movies and not because it comes with some cool behind the scenes stuff.

I think it's just similar to his distaste for heavily CG movies.

As far as slipcovers go, if I'm buying a movie that comes with them I'll always pick that version up cause some of them are really nice, but if it doesn't have a slipcover it's no big deal. I do group them together though on my shelf so that it looks more uniform. Slips with Slips and nons with nons.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I throw out some of the slipcovers because Best Buy and Walmart use crazy glue on their stickers.

Are the Bluray Nazis going to throw me in Dischau for not going to a different store to get an immaculate slipcover?

:ohdear:

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I throw out some of the slipcovers because Best Buy and Walmart use crazy glue on their stickers.

Are the Bluray Nazis going to throw me in Dischau for not going to a different store to get an immaculate slipcover?

I think it depends on the slipcovers themselves. I have had ones that it takes forever to get all of the stickers off and others just come completely off in one smooth pull. I still don't understand the reasoning behind putting stickers on the slips to begin with. I don't need 4 different things telling me the Blu cost 24.99$

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I think what we need to do is take pictures if our garbage cans full of slipcovers, then post them on hi-def forums. I get most of my movies from Amazon, I have no excuse.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think what we need to do is take pictures if our garbage cans full of slipcovers, then post them on hi-def forums. I get most of my movies from Amazon, I have no excuse.

You could most likely sell your slipcovers to people on those forums for a like $1 a pop. I bet some of them would bite.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just threw away a slipcover for Apollo 13, who wants to touch me?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just trashed my slipcovers for Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 and Toy Story 3.

I'M A MONSTERRRRRRRR!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!

As soon as I'm done alphabetizing my movies by the last name of the cinematographer, I'm going to write a lengthy post about how your actions have decreased the monetary AND enjoyment value of your collection.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fat Lou posted:

You could most likely sell your slipcovers to people on those forums for a like $1 a pop. I bet some of them would bite.

You'd definitely get some bites. Make a little profit - sell them for at least $3 or $4 shipped a piece.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of cases, I wish every case was the Criterion case.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love how heavy they are, though that's probably just the giant booklet they usually include in them

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Fifth Element/Gattaca dropped to $12.49 on Amazon. Great deal if you dig those movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DF457S?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003DF457S

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 29, 2010

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just popped in Kick-rear end and was watching their "Kick-rear end View Mode" or whatever. What's hilarious is that in the interviews they show, the actors are allowed to say "gently caress" uncensored but they bleeped "oval office". I just heard one of the actors say "loving *bleep*" and I laughed out loud wondering what was so much worse than "gently caress" as to get bleeped.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Has anyone gotten the Scott Pilgrim Steelbook from the UK?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sporadic posted:

The Fifth Element/Gattaca dropped to $12.49 on Amazon. Great deal if you dig those movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DF457S?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003DF457S

I hear that there are two versions of The Fifth Element on blu-ray, one that isn't so good. Is this the good or bad version?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like slipcovers on blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs because even though they're one more layer between me and my precious disc, they're also one more layer between the manufacturer's stupid sticker crap and the disc. Probably not too pertinent for movies I guess, since everything's usually on the shrink-wrap anyway, but for CDs it increases the likelihood that the big ugly Parental Advisory can be discarded.

Cherokee Jack posted:

I bought BATB the other week and while I haven't had a chance to watch it yet I did check out a few scenes and yeah, it's stunning. My wife got a $30 Walmart card for Christmas and I'm trying to talk her into buying the Fantasia blu-ray.

I can't remember the name of the forum but there's a Disney forum (DVDizzy or something?) where people freak out over any little change/enhancement/whatever done to Disney films on blu-ray. There was one or two people who claimed that their VHS copy of Sleeping Beauty was better than the blu-ray version because the picture was "softer" and the colors more "natural" or something like that. Yeah.

Maybe they had the Sharpness on their TVs all the way up or something. I watched BATB on blu-ray this weekend on a TV where the sharpness was up to 100, and while we'd never noticed issues for anything else (even the Fantasia blu-ray), in this case it caused horrible white outlines on all the cel stuff and we had to turn it nearly all the way down. I guess it's just the sharpest thing we've ever watched. And boy does it look amazing.

Fantasia's equally amazing, and it blows my mind to think that a movie from 1940 has surround-sound. (Even if they had to reconstruct it from imperfect sources.) I also wasn't aware that there would be any extra restored footage compared to the DVD version, so that was a pleasant surprise. (Some of the live-action stuff, if you're wondering. Hasn't been seen in ages.)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I can't trash slipcovers, not matter how much I hate them, since I keep all sort of junk.
Anyway, about the Battle Royale BR, I noticed some weird effect on some scenes, I dont know what to call it but like in the scene the couple throws themselves over a cliff, there seemed to be a kind of silhouette dragging, is it intended?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nihonniboku posted:

I hear that there are two versions of The Fifth Element on blu-ray, one that isn't so good. Is this the good or bad version?

I heard it is the remastered one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If I was in charge of designing the slip case for a high profile movie release I would have one corner crushed and another torn by design. Then see what happens.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

qbert posted:

Just popped in Kick-rear end and was watching their "Kick-rear end View Mode" or whatever. What's hilarious is that in the interviews they show, the actors are allowed to say "gently caress" uncensored but they bleeped "oval office". I just heard one of the actors say "loving *bleep*" and I laughed out loud wondering what was so much worse than "gently caress" as to get bleeped.
Blame the Brits. You can (usually) only say 'oval office' once with a 15 rating, and they don't want the rating being upgraded to an 18 for the DVD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Egbert Souse posted:

the plastic hologram bit is bound to produce some lovely fumes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Egbert Souse posted:

Well now you have to do it.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

If you guys hate slips on blus so much you should be thrilled to know that they are starting to put them on Video Games as well now. My friend bought Dante's Inferno for the PS3 and it had a slip and my Fallout: New Vegas for the 360 has a slip.

Looks like they are not going away anytime soon.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've read/skimmed the entire thread off and on since last night, and one thing I didn't see was Ocean's 13. I had heard a while ago it was a really crummy blu-ray release, is that still the case?

Also, I got a Panasonic BD-85K and am absolutely loving it.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

metallicaeg posted:

Ocean's 13

It's not necessarily bad in that it looks fairly sharp but it's extremely saturated and noisy in dark scenes.
It's not good or BAAAAD really, just... eh.

When it's not an orange glob of over-saturation it's actually nice looking.

William Pahllace fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 30, 2010

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Just watched Scott Pilgrim, might be the best Blu ray I've seen. The audio blew me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Volcasarus ReX posted:

If you guys hate slips on blus so much you should be thrilled to know that they are starting to put them on Video Games as well now. My friend bought Dante's Inferno for the PS3 and it had a slip and my Fallout: New Vegas for the 360 has a slip.

Looks like they are not going away anytime soon.

I noticed a few years ago almost every game I bought had a slip cover. I think it was a Microsoft thing. Now I don't see them very often. I always throw them out because they are invariably damaged in someway.

• Locked thread