Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I nearly charged $1,250 to bring home that Mesa 4x12. Well, I wouldn't have brought it home because my wife would have killed me (because it's a bad idea), and luckily a phone call to my front man got me out of the mood. I seriously felt like I dodged a bullet. It sure sounds awesome though, and my 800RB sounded REALLY great.

I tried one of the Ampeg 410E "classic" whatevers and it sounded not very good, but surprisingly enough a Peavey 2x15 cabinet beat it out. Still waiting to hear what's gonna happen to my other cabinet, and I shouldn't buy anything until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008
Just put a Squier CV 60's Jazz on layaway at GC. I guess I just got sick of the idea that I "couldn't afford it". Technically I can't, but personally I'm not sure I can afford not to.

I'll work out the amp later.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Welp!

This is quite loud enough, I believe. There's a 2x10 Diesel at another Music-go-Round in my area for $200 that I might pair it up with, but I'm pretty sure this'll do me for a while!!

Junkbuzzard
Aug 12, 2009
Hey music goons, I've been wanting to learn to play bass and was thinking of starting off with a Squier jazz bass (I like that 3-tone sunburst color). Would it be a worth-while buy? I've seen them sold used for ~$200 before.

Recently though, a good friend of mine offered his BC Rich Warlock with a hard coffin case for any reasonable price I could name. I know he takes care of his instruments, so there's doubt that it would be practically new. It'd be great if my money went to my friend as well. Has anyone used one before? How's it compare to the Squier?

Edit: Oh yeah, and when it came to guitar my learning veered towards folksy blues kinda stuff with random 90's rock (I had an instructor who taught me according to songs I wanted to know) So if there's any recommendations for guitars suited to those, I'd be happy to ponder other options.

Junkbuzzard fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 24, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Junkbuzzard posted:

Hey music goons, I've been wanting to learn to play bass and was thinking of starting off with a Squier jazz bass (I like that 3-tone sunburst color). Would it be a worth-while buy? I've seen them sold used for ~$200 before.

Recently though, a good friend of mine offered his BC Rich Warlock with a hard coffin case for any reasonable price I could name. I know he takes care of his instruments, so there's doubt that it would be practically new. It'd be great if my money went to my friend as well. Has anyone used one before? How's it compare to the Squier?

Edit: Oh yeah, and when it came to guitar my learning veered towards folksy blues kinda stuff with random 90's rock (I had an instructor who taught me according to songs I wanted to know) So if there's any recommendations for guitars suited to those, I'd be happy to ponder other options.

Unless it's one of the "Vintage Modified" or "Classic Vibe" series, it's not worth $200 used. $75-$100 is much more reasonable for a used Affinity series Squier.

Honestly I'd go for the Squier jazz. It's going to be much more versatile than the BC Rich (and it won't look retarded like the Warlock...). And these days I'd put Squier's quality-control above that of a budget-line BC Rich.

How much is he offering it for?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Be careful with mid-90s non-USA BC Rich guitars. A kid once showed me his Warlock after he'd put it down too hard; it was made of pressed wood pulp or something similar. Also, they look silly. Just scan the classifieds and pick up a Squier like Scarf recommends. The ones I saw in the mid- to late-90s were really OK, and you should be able to nab one for very little money.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you like bluesy rock and 90's stuff a Jazz would be perfect. A Warlock...not so much.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
My first bass was a Warlock bronze series. If I would have known about Squire's vintage modified bass I would of definitely chosen that over the warlock. First off, the neck dive is insane with most B.C Rich instruments, and when your beginning thats one thing that can be really annoying. The tone was pretty blehhh, really the only good thing I have to say about the warlock was the neck was actually pretty nice and fast to play on. Go for the Squire, you won't regret it. More tone selection, no neck dive, and I think it looks better honestly.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 27, 2010

Junkbuzzard
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to save for a Squier. I found this one - http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326500537 - used on craigslist with an amp for $200. Pictured was a fender amp but I couldn't tell much else from it. Seemed like a fair price to me, but I wanted to know what other people felt about it since I've never shopped for a used instrument before. I'm not planning on spending that much money on anything nonessential for a while so I can wait for a deal and looks-wise I'm leaning towards their fretless vintage modified bass with the 3 tone sunburst anyway.

Also to answer scarf, I offered $200 off the top of my head since it was coming with a case and he said he paid $400 for everything.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
After receiving a decent chunk of Christmas money, I decided that it's time to upgrade from my ampeg BA210. I like the look (and price) of Carvin's stuff. I can get their 500 watt head and 4x10 cab for under $800 including shipping. The only thing holding me back is that I haven't heard or played a Carvin amp, and I don't know of any way to test it out beforehand. Does anybody have any experience with Carvin amps?

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Junkbuzzard posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to save for a Squier. I found this one - http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326500537 - used on craigslist with an amp for $200. Pictured was a fender amp but I couldn't tell much else from it. Seemed like a fair price to me, but I wanted to know what other people felt about it since I've never shopped for a used instrument before. I'm not planning on spending that much money on anything nonessential for a while so I can wait for a deal and looks-wise I'm leaning towards their fretless vintage modified bass with the 3 tone sunburst anyway.

Also to answer scarf, I offered $200 off the top of my head since it was coming with a case and he said he paid $400 for everything.

That particular Squier is probably one of the better ones. The "standard" series with the logo in gold are in my experience pretty solid. In fact, I have a gold-letter P/J that is one of my favorite basses ever (after a pickup swap- I bought it used, the stock ones were pretty weak.) I have a gold-letter Strat that is also mighty fine.

I had one of the Vintage Modified fretless J's for a while and while it was a nice bass I have no business owning a fretless, so I sold it.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello bass players thread! I just discovered you and I hope you don't suck and that I can learn many cool things from you.

I want to buy a bass amp. I used to be a guitarist but I have defected to the Big Bass Team. :rock: I play mostly rock and some old funky r&b stuff, some slapping but mostly walking or pentatonics. From the equipment that I've played out of that's not mine, I tend to like amps more that have a number of smaller speakers as opposed to one big one. But I also want a small one that's easy to lug around because the one I'm borrowing is an 8x10 stack that sounds great but I hate having to lug it around all the time. I'm not so interested in getting a :swoon: sound because I won't be recording with it and the bass usually gets mixed out anyway :smug: In my experience in live situations all of that quality high end just leaves and all you can hear is the note so as long as that note is there I'm happy.

So anyways, I think what I need is a small 2x12 or 2x15 combo, does that sound right given my needs? It also needs a DO XLR because usually I get run through the PA. I'm looking to pay about $200-300.

So because I like lists I'm going to recap:

* 2x10/12/15 combo
* Smallish
* Direct out XLR
* Suitable for playing live, rock/blues/r&b/jazz
* $200 - $300

Any suggestions?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Vino posted:

Hello bass players thread! I just discovered you and I hope you don't suck and that I can learn many cool things from you.

I want to buy a bass amp. I used to be a guitarist but I have defected to the Big Bass Team. :rock: I play mostly rock and some old funky r&b stuff, some slapping but mostly walking or pentatonics. From the equipment that I've played out of that's not mine, I tend to like amps more that have a number of smaller speakers as opposed to one big one. But I also want a small one that's easy to lug around because the one I'm borrowing is an 8x10 stack that sounds great but I hate having to lug it around all the time. I'm not so interested in getting a :swoon: sound because I won't be recording with it and the bass usually gets mixed out anyway :smug: In my experience in live situations all of that quality high end just leaves and all you can hear is the note so as long as that note is there I'm happy.

So anyways, I think what I need is a small 2x12 or 2x15 combo, does that sound right given my needs? It also needs a DO XLR because usually I get run through the PA. I'm looking to pay about $200-300.

* 2x10/12/15 combo
* Smallish
* Direct out XLR
* $200 - $300

Any suggestions?

You're probably not going to get very far in your price range if you want to play live. Bass stuff is more expensive than guitar stuff, generally speaking.

Is there any reason you need a combo?

Here's my setup:

Genz Benz 9.0 900 watt head

Total cost new is around $1700. Total weight of both cabs and the amp is about 80 lbs - 40 lbs per cab and the head is like 2 lbs. I bought the cabs used so I saved some money there. By breaking it up like this I can bring my amp head and one cab to smaller gigs and bring both to larger gigs. I can also bring zero cabs to a gig where I know they have some speakers on-site.

Almost every amp head has XLR out.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-combo-amps?N=100001+500150+338534+9
I wouldn't want to gig with any of these.

For your price you're looking at the <200 watt 1x15 garbage amps. Sorry! :(

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I've always heard from this forum that Rondo stuff is really solid and I'm looking for a backup 5-string for gigging, any opinions on this one?

http://www.rondomusic.com/HXB405MNNATB.HTML

The coil tapping in particular looks pretty interesting to me.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Vino posted:

* 2x10/12/15 combo
* Smallish
* Direct out XLR
* $200 - $300

Any suggestions?

Bass combos suck unless you're getting something like a Markbass CMD 121, which is way out of your price range.

I suggest bumping up your price range another hundred or two and get:
this cabinet - http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2132844251.html
and one of these amps:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2110951353.html
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2131533083.html (offer like $150 - $175)

If you haggle you could probably get the cabinet and 400RB for under $400 total, or with the 800RB for under $500. Plus, when the time comes you'll be able to sell these for the same amount you put into them.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Okay that's freaky how the gently caress do you know I live near Raleigh?

That's an interesting idea. I have a show on the 7th and it's at a place that always runs me through the PA. So, I may as well just stick with the setup I've got and only bring the head to that show - problem solved. To shows that don't run me DO (my band hasn't played any yet) I can bring the whole setup or get something like that 4x12, but honestly just the head-only thing would probably do fine for many shows.

Thank you for the good ideas guys.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Triangle bass goons ITT.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Alright then you guys want to come see my band open for Kashmir at the Pour House on the 7th?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Vino posted:

Okay that's freaky how the gently caress do you know I live near Raleigh?
I checked your profile.

If you have a head you can keep using then I'd just get that Avatar cabinet. It weighs about 1/2 to 1/3 of whatever 810 you're playing and you (and the rest of your band) will be able to hear yourself on stage.

I don't think I'd want to rely on only PA for a gig, you never know what you're gonna sound like and that could throw you and the other people in the band off. I like having that familiarity of sound behind me.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Oh, my profile, smart.

That's a good point. The sound guy for this upcoming show is pretty competent but that's hardly a universal deal. Thank you.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Vino posted:

I'm not so interested in getting a :swoon: sound because I won't be recording with it and the bass usually gets mixed out anyway :smug: In my experience in live situations all of that quality high end just leaves and all you can hear is the note so as long as that note is there I'm happy.

Just noticed this part. :frogout:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Haha, sorry. I'm not much of an audiophile, just calling it like it is.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If you don't care about your sound, then no one else will either.

This is why you fine tune your sound while the band is playing, and listen to their comments.
I have no problem being heard live, and that's while playing metal. Your bass can sound great by itself, but that doesn't reflect how it will sound while a band is playing.

Don't rely on a PA guy, rely on yourself.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 30, 2010

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Vino posted:

Haha, sorry. I'm not much of an audiophile, just calling it like it is.

That's not the way it is.

Vino posted:

In my experience in live situations all of that quality high end just leaves and all you can hear is the note so as long as that note is there I'm happy.

As NarkyBark said, if you take the time to tweak your band's EQ and levels this should not be a problem. Guitars, bass and drums should ideally occupy their own frequency ranges within the mix and not compete for the same sonic space. I've found that using a bass amp with a parametric mid in the preamp is very useful for dialing in the exact tonal "center" that enables me to cut through a dense mix.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Ah... okay. I was really joking about "the bass just gets mixed out anyway." I know that getting the perfect tone is paramount to a lot of people but I don't really mind what it sounds like as long as the notes are audible. I'm much more interested in what notes are being played. I enjoy playing with other people, and entertaining an audience than getting a perfect sound. Maybe that makes me not a real musician, so be it, I'd rather not argue about it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Vino posted:

Ah... okay. I was really joking about "the bass just gets mixed out anyway." I know that getting the perfect tone is paramount to a lot of people but I don't really mind what it sounds like as long as the notes are audible. I'm much more interested in what notes are being played. I enjoy playing with other people, and entertaining an audience than getting a perfect sound. Maybe that makes me not a real musician, so be it, I'd rather not argue about it.

You're more of an entertainer, huh

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Vino posted:

But by the same token, it's much easier to entertain the audience and get them excited when you don't have lovely tone.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Vino posted:

Ah... okay. I was really joking about "the bass just gets mixed out anyway."

On a side note, I use a CMD102P - it's the 2x10 markbass combo. My tone got muffled in on stage for quite sometime until I put an auralex pad underneath it. While some people swear by x, y or z in their mix, I do have to say, this adds to one of those better tone elements. It simply raises your cabinet off the floor, absorbs the sound that would be traveling to the stage so you are only getting sound from your amp. Otherwise, you get a lot of sound reverberated (not sure if that's the correct term here) into the stage. To me, it was a difference similar to wearing better headphones where the tones are more pronounced.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

On a side note, I use a CMD102P - it's the 2x10 markbass combo. My tone got muffled in on stage for quite sometime until I put an auralex pad underneath it. While some people swear by x, y or z in their mix, I do have to say, this adds to one of those better tone elements. It simply raises your cabinet off the floor, absorbs the sound that would be traveling to the stage so you are only getting sound from your amp. Otherwise, you get a lot of sound reverberated (not sure if that's the correct term here) into the stage. To me, it was a difference similar to wearing better headphones where the tones are more pronounced.

Cool, I'll have to try that out. I play at a venue with a "hollow" wood stage and the E string makes it resonate to the point where it seemed way louder than my other strings (though according to other people it didn't sound that way in the audience), so that could help. Do you have the GRAMMA or some other model?

Edit: Also, Vino if you just want a cheap, indestructable amp look for a used Peavey. They sound pretty good, too. Then if you want more tonal options get a VT Bass or something.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 30, 2010

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Narwhale posted:

Do you have the GRAMMA or some other model?
It's the Gramma. Picked it up used for only a few bucks cheaper than retail. It fits perfectly on the combo. The tip - for using the Auralex Gramma (if you wanted to know) came from Ed Friedland. I was taking lessons from him at the time and we ran into each other at a gig and I noticed it in his setup. He explained to me why he uses it, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Narwhale posted:

Edit: Also, Vino if you just want a cheap, indestructable amp look for a used Peavey. They sound pretty good, too. Then if you want more tonal options get a VT Bass or something.
The VT bass is a good suggestion. I'd go for the deluxe model + power amp + cabinet. But each of those three pieces hits the target budget. =/

poopship
May 2, 2003
I just made the dumbest craigslist purchase of all time. I couldn't help myself.

I think I'm going to turn the lower neck into an 8-sting because it's completely pointless in its current configuration. But like I said, I couldn't help myself.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

poopship posted:

I just made the dumbest craigslist purchase of all time. I couldn't help myself.

I think I'm going to turn the lower neck into an 8-sting because it's completely pointless in its current configuration. But like I said, I couldn't help myself.

Wait... uh... what? Why?

poopship
May 2, 2003
I know. It makes no sense at all.

But I had to have it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The cat's expression says it all!

How heavy is that thing?

poopship
May 2, 2003
15.6 pounds. I will need a harness.

It's made by a company called DDB. I cannot find any information on this thing at all.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I wouldn't say I accept lovely sounding instruments and equipment, I just have a lower standard than most musicians do. Whereas most musicians say, "It must sound exquisite" I say, "As long as it doesn't sound like poo poo." It's partially driven by not wanting to spend the money on top-dollar equipment to get that awesome sound, I have no qualm about cutting corners whenever I can. I've been performing music for a long time and usually the non-musicians in the audience can't tell the difference between 120% tone and 80% tone and oftentimes can't tell when you gently caress up either (unless you gaff bad) so it makes no sense to go for the Victor Wooten tone when I have the Gruffy McHobo pocketbook.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Vino posted:

I wouldn't say I accept lovely sounding instruments and equipment, I just have a lower standard than most musicians do. Whereas most musicians say, "It must sound exquisite" I say, "As long as it doesn't sound like poo poo." It's partially driven by not wanting to spend the money on top-dollar equipment to get that awesome sound, I have no qualm about cutting corners whenever I can. I've been performing music for a long time and usually the non-musicians in the audience can't tell the difference between 120% tone and 80% tone and oftentimes can't tell when you gently caress up either (unless you gaff bad) so it makes no sense to go for the Victor Wooten tone when I have the Gruffy McHobo pocketbook.

Well, I think the main issue is that the bass is possibly the easiest instrument to lose in the mix. Most bassists want a good tone, not so that notes will bring forth choirs of angels, but so that your playing won't get lost in the din of guitars, drums, keyboards, and other unnecessary instruments.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, I have an Eden 700 watt head, but I'm running that in tandem with a Bergantino AE112 cab, but it reduces my output to about 300 watts. Why did I buy something like a Bergantino? I'm not sure, but I was at Club Bass here in Toronto and I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. So anyways, I don't have a car, so portability is an issue - but I'm probably not going to be able to find a cab of similar size that allows for more wattage, am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, I have an Eden 700 watt head, but I'm running that in tandem with a Bergantino AE112 cab, but it reduces my output to about 300 watts. Why did I buy something like a Bergantino? I'm not sure, but I was at Club Bass here in Toronto and I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. So anyways, I don't have a car, so portability is an issue - but I'm probably not going to be able to find a cab of similar size that allows for more wattage, am I?

How about one of one of these?

Edit - Oh, never mind, I'm stupid, it's also 8 Ohms... But at that size you could almost cart 2 around...

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 31, 2010