Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So I'm looking to adopt another guinea pig, was browsing PetFinder today and found one I pretty much fell in love with. By the time I made up my mind that I had to have her, I emailed the rescue and someone had already applied to adopt her.

:cry:

Also I really hate to browse PetFinder. Sure they're all cute but there's just SO MANY and I cannot save them all and I just end up more depressed than anything else.

Edit for pig pic just because:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You don't need to justify the reason. Also. AWWWWWWWWWW! :D

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is it normal for a pig to have claws that short?

If I were to cut them that short on mine I'd sever the pulp.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cat with hands posted:

I think its hard to see in the pic how long her toenails are but yes, their front nails are generally shorter and I do try and keep them as short as I can to prevent them from curling under their feet. It helps on her because I can see the quick through her pink toenails.

Edit:

The rescue got back to me about another pig I will probably end up adopting. Heres the one I wanted, but is now taken:

Such a cutie :3:

This is a litter of two males and one female that came to their rescue when they were only 4 days old. If everything goes how I'd like I'll be adopting the female in 2-4 weeks:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 29, 2010

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

cat with hands posted:

You can actually get the pulp to recede by trimming nails frequently; clip a little bit at a time, and the blood line will gradually shrink. You have to do that for pigs with overgrown nails, or else you draw blood every time.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Sirotan posted:

I think its hard to see in the pic how long her toenails are but yes, their front nails are generally shorter and I do try and keep them as short as I can to prevent them from curling under their feet. It helps on her because I can see the quick through her pink toenails.

Edit:

The rescue got back to me about another pig I will probably end up adopting. Heres the one I wanted, but is now taken:

Such a cutie :3:

This is a litter of two males and one female that came to their rescue when they were only 4 days old. If everything goes how I'd like I'll be adopting the female in 2-4 weeks:

I love how baby guinea pigs are basically all head. Their bodies lengthen so much as they get older, but they are just the cutest little nuggets as babies.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Serella posted:

I love how baby guinea pigs are basically all head. Their bodies lengthen so much as they get older, but they are just the cutest little nuggets as babies.

Yeah so it turns out its all males and the woman sexed them wrong the first time. And I read over at Guinea Lynx that this "rescue" might be getting most of their babies from breeders in the area. Back to the drawing board...

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

kazmeyer posted:

You can actually get the pulp to recede by trimming nails frequently; clip a little bit at a time, and the blood line will gradually shrink. You have to do that for pigs with overgrown nails, or else you draw blood every time.

Time to get a flashlight and go to work.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Sirotan posted:

Yeah so it turns out its all males and the woman sexed them wrong the first time. And I read over at Guinea Lynx that this "rescue" might be getting most of their babies from breeders in the area. Back to the drawing board...

Goddamn.

What about the girls over at Toledo? Surprisingly it's not that much farther.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alucinor posted:

Goddamn.

You know who I want?

This dude:

http://monroemi.craigslist.org/for/2130579031.html

Left in a ditch! He is so goddamn cute. But I have all females, won't really have the space for two (giant) cages and would rather get more females than have to put a pig through surgery if I don't need to. I really hope someone can find him a home.

WeeHoo :unsmith:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

What the hell do they put in these things to make them so addictive?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Does anyone have any tips on specific ways to feed your piggies/handle them, to help acclimate them to you? I have two adolescent females. I've had them for about 7 weeks now.

This was my usual schedule. First thing when I wake up, I give them their veggies. They start squeaking as soon as I move around.

Later in the day I replace their hay and do some spot cleaning.

Once or twice over the course of the day I will pick each other and gently hold them while giving them a piece of carrot. I am careful to not give them too much, its only 1 to 1 and a half baby carrots per pig per day. One purs when I do this, the other does not.

Once in the evening, often right before I go to bed I take them out and put them on a towel on my bed and feed them some more veggies.

For the last week i've been really busy, so while they got the same amount of food every day, I didn't have time to give them personal attention and now they seem much more skidish and afraid of me.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 30, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Diogines posted:

Does anyone have any tips on specific ways to feed your piggies/handle them, to help acclimate them to you?

Unfortunately (?) you're doing everything right, already. There's no magic method of handling that you can use, the only thing that helps acclimate them to you is time. Pigs will *always* get more jumpy if given less handling, but they will also *always* re-acclimate to you with an increase in handling. You're not making them permanently unfriendly by being busy for a while, I promise. If you can go back to giving more time, like you were doing before, you'll see them return to friendliness quickly. If you can't, they'll *still* calm down and be friendly as they get older, it will just take longer. Remember that these are teenagers, they're gonna snub you and be weird until they grow up. ;)

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
Hola, rodent thread. I foster small animals for a local exotics rescue, usually rabbits. I just got a trio of dwarf hamsters, and I've not fostered hamsters before. I put together a two-level cage for them, but they don't seem to be able to climb the tube up to the second level. They are very tiny dudes; is it possible they're too small to handle it, or will they just take some time to figure it out? This group was born at the rescue and has always been in a single level cage, so I know they've never done tubes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
You can try to persuade them by putting treats halfway up the tube.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Glasgow posted:

This group was born at the rescue and has always been in a single level cage, so I know they've never done tubes.

That's probably your answer right there. Climbing upwards through a tube is a daunting thing for an animal with such heavy body mass and low eyesight. I wouldn't think a hamster would willingly climb up a tube if it hadn't been raised with that setup.

If I were you I would go nuts expanding their horizontal space and let them enjoy that instead! Most hamster seem to prefer massive 50-gallon aquariums with a range of toys and hiding spots to conventional plastic/wire housing with tubes.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Aw, alright. My chinchillas seem to enjoy ramps and steps and such, so I figured the hamsters would like a multi-level area with things to climb.

I had tried putting some food bits in the tube, but two of them just don't seem to get it. The third one I've seen go up the tube twice now, so it seems they're capable, just confused.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alucinor posted:

Goddamn.

Almost forgot to post this. That rescue that I read over at Guinea Lynx was a scam and was just selling off pigs they got from breeders? Yeah I emailed them about it, the foster got a little defensive and asked what my "concerns" were. I told her I was going through a rescue because I wasn't willing to financially support breeders, and she responded with this:

quote:

I'm going to be up-front with you.... and may be why the rumor on lynx....you can make your decision from there and hate me if you will... several years ago I got into showing and breeding long hair guinea pigs ...I'm of the belief that I give them the very best of care even having surgery on boys with stones...ect ect any animals I 'produce' are sold or given away (never sold to brokers or pet stores) always with the last statement being if it doesn't work out they come back to me...I'm ultimately responsible for care for the rest of their lives... having said that...I also feel as a responsible breeder that I need to give back to the rescues that 'clean up' after irresponsible pet owners and breeders. so I started volunteering with tiny paws I was laid off from work and helped her with cleaning ect but once i got called back to work that wasn't possible so I told her I would foster the guinea's especially the pregnant ladies so they could have a good start... I'm guessing that is how this rumor started along with a person that got disgruntled with <name>... the piggies that are posted are tinypaws pigs not mine.. so you can decide if you want to adopt one or not.. I'm just trying to help out the rescue the best I can. I'm not a pet person breeding my animals I'm very careful studying pedigree's ect ect you may or may not agree with me I'm of the belief that without responsible breeders there would not be any guinea pigs (oops forgot about the irresponsible pet people and pet stores) and all we can really do is closely monitor those that purchase and adopt.. the vast majority of all animals in rescue come from pet people who lost interest with a responsibility they chose to take on... hope you understand and don't hold a grudge on the rescue for what I choose to do... please let me know if you wish to continue... Thanks <name> (as a side note...as a breeder I have turned away many perspective owners including a veterinarian because I felt they were not good enough homes)

Names removed to protect the not-so innocent.

Yeah, huge block of text in nothing but run-on sentences with terrible spelling and grammar. Why are all terrible home breeders like this??

Needless to say I won't be going through them for any adoptions.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 3, 2011

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Goddamn goddamn. I can hardly even parse that much less figure out what the hell she's trying to justify.

It's a constant source of frustration for me that GPs are one animal where breeders and rescuers have been able to find zero common ground. Rats, dogs, horses, sugar gliders - all are animals where breeders are commonly heavily involved in rescue, and many are strongly active in policing and outing bad breeders. Why can't GP people play nice?

The problem lies with rescuers as much as breeders - one very respected nationally known GP rescuer claims there is absolutely no way to responsibly breed GPs. I agree in principle that there are no breeders who could currently be considered responsible, but not in theory.

If you show me a breeder who provides vet care including spay/neuter on every young animal before it is sold, who has a lifetime return requirement, who keeps lifetime health testing records on complete lineages and then removes lineages from her breeding program when sub-optimal health is demonstrated, who extensively educates and screens potential buyers - basically someone who doesn't in any way contribute animals to the rescue problem - I'd work with someone like that in a heartbeat.

There are people who want to purchase an animal instead of rescue it, period. No amount of argument will convince them otherwise. If their choices are limited to idiot color breeders and pet stores, it's not helping us reduce the overall problem. We need to have some good GP breeders to offer as an alternative to those people.

I guess my point, if there is one, is that if you're willing to go across states to find other pigs, that's awesome. But if not, and IF the rescue can prove that the animals you would be adopting are not from a breeder - I'd say it's no harm in considering it. They should quite easily be able to provide you with some pigs for whom they have a paper trail leading back to local shelters or owner surrenders or whatever.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alucinor posted:

I guess my point, if there is one, is that if you're willing to go across states to find other pigs, that's awesome. But if not, and IF the rescue can prove that the animals you would be adopting are not from a breeder - I'd say it's no harm in considering it. They should quite easily be able to provide you with some pigs for whom they have a paper trail leading back to local shelters or owner surrenders or whatever.

I have gotten pigs from breeders in the past, I don't think all breeders are automatically terrible just because they are breeders. My main problem with this "rescue" is how much they are misrepresenting themselves. When I do a search for them over at Guinea Lynx and find some bad juju on them I just get a bad feeling about the whole thing. That woman's run-on rambling disaster doesn't really help their case either.

I guess despite what I wrote before I haven't completely written off the rescue. The woman I was talking to told me about another pig they had available that wasn't on Petfinder yet and I asked specifically if she was from a breeder or a rescue, and that is what got this whole ball rolling. I've asked twice now point-black where she came from and both times she was evasive in her responses and never told me. IF they could prove to be she isn't coming from a breeder I would definitely consider adopting her but at this point I'm not sure I can trust what they are telling me, quite frankly.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yeah, that's a whole other issue. If someone is evasive with you, you can pretty much never trust them.

At the worst, I'd say keep watching craigslist and/or Petfinder. There's always a slew of surrender requests in the weeks after Christmas, so it shouldn't be long before you're spoiled for choice. :sigh:

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

Fra-gi-lay...It's Italian!

Rodent Mortician posted:

They do go through a kind of teenaged period, but you also have to keep in mind that he came from a pet store and likely from a giant mill breeder where he was basically never handled and didn't have social interaction. It's kind of like bringing home a puppy-mill dog and then having to deal with the accompanying issues. Some chins adapt quickly, but others take longer and need some intensive socialization.

I mean, he's had a fairly traumatic beginning -- mill to pet store to new place, to getting trapped under a cabinet and having to be crowbarred out... I think he really just needs more time and needs more time to bond with you. It was kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to have your MIL buy a 20 year commitment for you and risk your current chin (if she didn't do quarantine).

Buying a chin was not the best of ideas however in defense of the MIL, her husband/soul mate/bestest friend ever just passed away (read: died in her arms) and she hasn't been playing with all cards since but she's slowly making progress. She's doing the best she can but when something that traumatic happens, you're in shock for quite awhile.

In the world of good news, CPN Bitey McFuckface has calmed down a bit and stopped trying to bite as much and actually let me scratch his head/ears before later when he got snippy. I think he's just retarded and needs time. Initially I thought he had vision problems because he had issues with navigating his cage and making minor jumps. Sometimes I think he does but mostly it's probably because of the conditions he was most likely kept in during his early months. He probably never really saw a platform, or a wider cage until his short stint at Petsmart. At least there's hope. :/

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

alucinor posted:

There are people who want to purchase an animal instead of rescue it, period. No amount of argument will convince them otherwise. If their choices are limited to idiot color breeders and pet stores, it's not helping us reduce the overall problem. We need to have some good GP breeders to offer as an alternative to those people.

Amen, sister. I think probably the biggest problem facing good GP breeders (and hell, any responsible small animal breeders) is the lack of public awareness regarding health issues, proper caging and socialization. Most people will counter those arguments with the time-tested standard of 'it's just a pig/rat/chin/ham, why do you care? :downs: ' and there really is no counter to that stupidity.

A former friend of mine is probably still breeding her pigs. They live in lovely SuperPet cages, barely get any veggies except as a 'treat' once a week and get fed a 'guinea delight!!!!' pellet mix with corn and all kinds of crap in it. Hay? Hay is for horses! Psssh. (I convinced her to buy a ten lb bag of Oxbow hay ONCE and never again...have no idea if the pigs are still alive, poor little guys.)

She breeds her pigs basically because they live together and are an unfixed male and female. The boar drives the sow nuts with humping and has caused nasty scabs and wounds with his rampant desires. The sow has eaten or killed a baby before in stress, but is kept still pumping out babies. The babies are then given to friends, sold to the lovely pet store for store credit or kept in SuperPet cages next to their parents because they're cute colors.

Needless to say, this dumb bitch and I are no longer friends or in any way associated, and she thinks I'm being 'mean and judgemental!!!' for criticizing her breeding habits and 'You know they're just rodents right lol' and other friends have defended her so I'm not friends with them either and I'm sure everyone just loves getting together to hate on me but gently caress them. Those poor piggies are the ones I'm sad about losing. :(

BoomtownRat
Mar 17, 2008

Noone Stops the Clockwork Orange
Two quick questions about a pet mouse I got recently.

One, she likes to shred up her bedding (paper towels and wood shavings, which she does not shred) and put it in her food bowl, should I be concerned about this?

and secondly, should I be concerned about excessive squeaking when I pick her up (I scoop her with both hands) or pet her? It's not that she usually does it (i'd say she does it about half the time, at most), but is it a cause for alarm or something mice generally do?

Thanks!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

BoomtownRat posted:

One, she likes to shred up her bedding (paper towels and wood shavings, which she does not shred) and put it in her food bowl, should I be concerned about this?

She's making a nest. Give her a wooden cube house or another bowl and maybe she'll use one as a nest, leaving the food bowl alone.

BoomtownRat posted:

and secondly, should I be concerned about excessive squeaking when I pick her up

Perfectly normal WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME behavior.

Memo: when getting a pig's molars trimmed, make sure your vet takes down the incisors, too; and when getting incisors trimmed, make sure they plane down the molars. Long incisors lead to long molars and vice versa, because when either gets long, the mouth doesn't close completely and the non-overgrown teeth grow longer than they should.

Tug had fairly extensive molar malocclusion which was planed down on Dec 23. Yesterday I noticed he was drooling, and realized his loving incisors didn't get trimmed when the molars did; they're not occluding properly anymore and the lowers are actually touching his upper jaw.

This is the SECOND time I've forgotten to remind a vet to do both sets of teeth and had to go back within two weeks. :doh:

BoomtownRat
Mar 17, 2008

Noone Stops the Clockwork Orange

alucinor posted:

She's making a nest. Give her a wooden cube house or another bowl and maybe she'll use one as a nest, leaving the food bowl alone.

Perfectly normal WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME behavior.

Thanks a ton!

She actually already has a log and one of those large woven bowl nests made out of grass (hay?) that she sleeps in, so i'm not sure why she's putting everything in her food bowl.

I just feel like a new father, constantly fretting over every little thing. :(

Edit: Two last questions (sorry), I'm living in an apartment at university so my mouse is staying at my room. Should I be concerned about having the lights on at night messing with her sense of night and day?

As well, what's a good food for mice? I know the Kaytee Fiesta stuff is junk food, but i've tried to get her to eat a forti diet pellet I had (I got one from a friend to see if she liked it) and she wouldn't eat it.

Thanks!

BoomtownRat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 6, 2011

Sen Sen
Oct 12, 2008

Kraken would smash.
Hello! My name's Sen Sen and I'm new here. I've never owned a pet before and never fully understood pets as what they are, but recently I've grown to really like my friend's dog and for the first time have seen what kind of a relationship people can have with animals. This made me really want an animal to take care of. I started researching different animals, and I narrowed it down to a hamster. I spent hours researching different things about them, and after I felt I knew enough I bought a dwarf hamster that I named Boots. I've had him for a few days, except I've noticed a couple things.

The first thing I've noticed, that I assume is normal (but I just want to make sure), is that all he does is hide inside the little house I bought him. I understand they're nocturnal, but so am I to a degree. I stay up til 5am and wake up at 11am, and have rarely seen him out and about. The only times he's out is to get a little nibble of food and then goes right back to his hiding place. Is he just nervous about his new environment? I'm worried that something's wrong with him, but then again it could just be that he's scared.

Another thing that ties into the above paragraph is that since he never comes out, he doesn't use his hamster wheel. I'm not even really sure if he knows what it does. He's stood on it before but when it starts to move he'll get off it. How do I train him to start running on it?

This is my first pet so keep that in mind when responding. Thanks in advance to whoever helps me!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sen Sen posted:

dwarf hamster that I named Boots. I've had him for a few days, except I've noticed a couple things.

The first thing I've noticed, that I assume is normal (but I just want to make sure), is that all he does is hide inside the little house I bought him. I understand they're nocturnal, but so am I to a degree. I stay up til 5am and wake up at 11am, and have rarely seen him out and about. The only times he's out is to get a little nibble of food and then goes right back to his hiding place. Is he just nervous about his new environment? I'm worried that something's wrong with him, but then again it could just be that he's scared.

Another thing that ties into the above paragraph is that since he never comes out, he doesn't use his hamster wheel. I'm not even really sure if he knows what it does. He's stood on it before but when it starts to move he'll get off it. How do I train him to start running on it?

This is my first pet so keep that in mind when responding. Thanks in advance to whoever helps me!

I don't want to worry you too much, but this sounds a lot like what our last hamster was doing. She was a syrian hamster. I've never had a dwarf so I don't know if they do things differently, maybe this behaviour is normal for them.

Our ham turned out to have megacolon, a horrible fatal disorder. She was from an accidental litter between two pets. We noticed that she only left her nest to fetch food or to have a drink occasionally, and wouldn't come out of there so we could play with her. If we did get her out, she would play but as soon as she was back in the cage, she was back in the nest.

I'm not saying that your ham has megacolon, but I think you're right to be concerned. Syrian hamsters at least, in my experience, get on with the business of trying to escape the cage quite quickly.

For our hamster, she also was producing few droppings (which were irregularly shaped), and wasn't growing but was becoming round in the abdomen, like a pear shape if you looked from the side. She was 5 weeks old when we got her, and 7 weeks old when she died.

I hope someone with dwarf hamster experience can come in here and say that Boots is probably ok! :ohdear:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
You say you're staying up until 5 am, does that mean you're in the same room and the light is on? If no then I think you should be worried. He could just be stressed from the pet store I guess, but in my experience if they're not out and running on the wheel during the night it's usually a sign of illness. If yes, then he's probably just confused as hell, because he thinks it's time to get up but doesn't know wtf because it's still light outside.

Sen Sen
Oct 12, 2008

Kraken would smash.
that definitely makes sense. I read somewhere that they have internal clocks like we do, so I didn't really think anything of it, but I will turn off the lights tonight and see what happens. Also, my sister said that he was running on his wheel this morning so that's good! And he was also inside a toilet paper tube instead of his house so maybe that's a good sign too that he's moving around. Thanks for the help though you two. Whenever I would google "hamster won't leave nest box" I wouldn't get anything near what I wanted. I'll let you guys know if I see any difference in the next couple days.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

I foster chinchillas for a rescue, and I got a massive donated cage from them, but all the shelves are either wire, which I won't use, or really badly worn. Where's a good place to get quality shelves and ledges, either plastic or wood? A lot of places I've found only sell the whole cage setup, or only have wire meant for ferrets. I found one place that has really big shelves like I want, but they're UK and I'd need to contact them and make a special order for them to ship to the states. Is there someplace else, or should I go that route?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Glasgow posted:

Where's a good place to get quality shelves and ledges, either plastic or wood?

http://www.simplychintastic.com/ledges.html are fantastic. However, you could certainly get a couple of bolts and wingnuts and some scraps of hardwood or untreated pine and build your own for far cheaper. There's also this rescue in Ohio which sells shelving and other accessories: http://www.forchinatechins.com/chincessories.htm. If you don't want to DIY but want to 100% support a rescue, that's how I'd go.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I'm thinking of getting 2 female guinea piggies, never had one before.

I've had a couple of hamsters in the past. The last one I had never got too used to people and I was always nervous when getting him out for cleaning or trying to play with him, because he seemed scared all the time, and he was also very small and very quick, I was always afraid he would jump off and I'll end up losing him in a corner of the house. Its made me very weary of hamsters again, but a guinea pig will be bigger and from what I read they get used to humans and being petted more easily than hamsters.

However, I've moved to a smaller place, and if I get a pet its cage will be in the same room where I sleep and spend most of my time.
How noisy are guinea pigs? They don't use the wheel like hamsters, but do they gnaw at cage bars or wood or whatever they have there? Do they squeak a lot? Are they very nocturnal? I want to be sure I will be able to sleep with them in the same room.
And will they be stressed out if I move around their cage often, as I wont be able to put them in a quiet corner where they don't see movement.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Merope posted:

I want to be sure I will be able to sleep with them in the same room.

You won't. They're most active at 4am and they will chirp, scurry, wheek, lick their bottle incessantly, and generally be pain in the asses just when you are trying to get that last precious hour of sleep.

Also go read http://www.guinealynx.info front to back before you think you're set on pigs. Pigs require LOTS more care, and more complex care, than most people realize or than pet stores will tell you. You can't use a pet store cage, you have to build your own, and you can't feed plain pet store pellets, you have to feed unlimited grass hay and carefully nutrient-balanced veggies. Their medical care is also expensive as crap.

Additionally, having hay in your bedroom is gonna give you allergies like you won't believe. I always thought "I don't have allergies, that won't affect me!" :haw: I didn't have allergies, till I got pigs. My sinuses haven't been the same since.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

alucinor posted:

http://www.forchinatechins.com/chincessories.htm. If you don't want to DIY but want to 100% support a rescue, that's how I'd go.

Oh my god they have everything I could possibly want. I am going to spend way too much money there. Thanks!

I made a few shelves, but the Home Depot here never has much by way of scrap pine. I don't wanna built big levels out of several bits of wood and have metal fasteners everywhere. But this site is sweet, and it supports a rescue, so, bonus.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

alucinor posted:

Additionally, having hay in your bedroom is gonna give you allergies like you won't believe. I always thought "I don't have allergies, that won't affect me!" :haw: I didn't have allergies, till I got pigs. My sinuses haven't been the same since.

Have you tried the bluegrass hay from KM's Hayloft? Timothy hay makes me wheeze like I've got pneumonia, but since I switched to bluegrass, my allergies have been a hell of a lot better.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

kazmeyer posted:

Have you tried the bluegrass hay from KM's Hayloft? Timothy hay makes me wheeze like I've got pneumonia, but since I switched to bluegrass, my allergies have been a hell of a lot better.

That's all I've used for several years. :) Although I have to say this last batch was very stemmy, not at all as soft as I'm accustomed to getting.

To be fair, I have about a dozen more cages in my house than most people, so maybe it's slightly unfair for me to talk about allergies. But that's definitely a concern when pigs are going to be kept in a bedroom. Looking at my records, four of the last ten adoptions/foster placements where the adopter insisted on keeping in the bedroom, the pigs were returned.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

It's definitely something you have to get used to. By necessity I've had to keep my girls in the bedroom for the past several years, and the first couple of weeks were hard to adjust to, because I'm normally a fairly light sleeper. Having the pigs in the room, as well as learning to sleep whenever due to my wacky schedule, has cured me of that. Now, the only time the pigs wake me up is if someone's being hormonal, and I usually just drop in an extra-big pile of veggies and hay when that happens to distract them.

When I move into the new place, however, they're going back out in the living room. :)

(And yeah, KM had some trouble with supply this season, it came down to selling some middling hay or not being able to sell at all. She's really good about offering refunds if you're not satisfied, but even the worst hay I've gotten from her has been better than 90% of the stuff I've seen from other vendors.)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I've used a ceramic cooking bowl as my hay bin for my piggies for about 2 months. One of them has started to chew on it a bit. Should I be at all worried, could she hurt herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

kazmeyer posted:

(And yeah, KM had some trouble with supply this season, it came down to selling some middling hay or not being able to sell at all. She's really good about offering refunds if you're not satisfied, but even the worst hay I've gotten from her has been better than 90% of the stuff I've seen from other vendors.)

At the risk of starting a KM circlejerk, I just can't speak highly enough about her. She keeps track of what animals her clients have - this summer I placed a bluegrass order and she took the time to write and tell me there was a certain proportion of alfalfa mixed with it, and she knew that I had some stone pigs, and thought I might be concerned, so would I want to switch the order over orchard instead? No charge for the switch! I also referred someone to her to get a "sample" and she sent them like 10lbs - it made that person a regular customer. :3:

Edit: the rabbits love the stemmier bluegrass so it's not going to waste at all. I just have the pigs on half blue and half orchard.

Diogines posted:

I've used a ceramic cooking bowl as my hay bin for my piggies for about 2 months. One of them has started to chew on it a bit. Should I be at all worried, could she hurt herself?

Nope, usually that just means WHERE IS MAH PELLETS.

It *is* possible for pigs to break teeth, but it's fairly uncommon, especially in young folks like you have. Just make it part of your weekly weighing ritual to open their mouths and inspect their incisors. That will also give you an idea of how normal incisors should look, so if they start to get long (which could indicate molar lengthening as well), you won't be unaware of the change.