Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got it about 7 hours ago - no regrets whatsoever. All it needed was a very small truss rod adjustment - intonation was spot on, action was where it should be, and the nut slots were not cut too high. All in all a great experience buying my first online instrument.

Oh, I got it from Sam Ash btw. I'm not a big fan of their brick and mortar stores, but their online service and shipping was excellent. I initially chose them because if the price match guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Welp got this from my dad and grandma as an xmas present

And I'm getting this as an xmas present for myself. Also my big muff finally bit the dust, so I might as well get the muff I always wanted.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Noise Machine posted:

Welp got this from my dad and grandma as an xmas present

And I'm getting this as an xmas present for myself. Also my big muff finally bit the dust, so I might as well get the muff I always wanted.

Nice, is that the 3.0 or 6.0? Either way you're gonna love it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Nice, is that the 3.0 or 6.0? Either way you're gonna love it.

3.0 I believe.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I just bought a very nice guitar. You've seen the stock image of it.
I've got other guitars. I'm playing the guitar.
So, clearly, my lovely parents got me this for Christmas.

Click here for the full 1759x1052 image.

I'm very confused. Aaaand returning it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

I saw a huge pile of these in the middle of Best Buy, or was it Target? In any case, perhaps your parents saw this and thought "our son plays an instrument...hey wait, that looks like an instrument!" or perhaps it's a not so subtle way to imply that you should give up the guitar.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Warcabbit posted:

If it were a nicer keyboard I'd advocate keeping it just because a keyboard is something I believe every musician should have, if only for noodling. This, however, is returnable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got the RB3 keyboard and it kind of rules as a MIDI keyboard! Hell yeah!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

No pictures because it wasn't shipped yet but my mom got me a Theremin. I made out like a bandit this year.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Agreed posted:

I got the RB3 keyboard and it kind of rules as a MIDI keyboard! Hell yeah!

If I end up with more cash to burn I'll pick it up. Everybody needs a keytar. What's the key action like, comparable to the $100+ midi controllers?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

If I end up with more cash to burn I'll pick it up. Everybody needs a keytar. What's the key action like, comparable to the $100+ midi controllers?

Surprisingly good, and it has velocity sensitivity and a touch-sensitive controller (though it's a bit less easy to use than a conventional keyboard workstation). No aftertouch, but for the money it's remarkably good as a MIDI controller. I have the PS3 version; the square and circle buttons move down and up one octave at a time, respectively, which (given its 2-octave range) allows you to actually do some pretty fancy stuff on the fly if you've got the hands for it. It has a drum controller mode too which sends drum ccs specifically.

I'm still figuring it out, honestly (the directional keys do SOMETHING but I don't know what, for example) but it's battery powered and really cool and I can play VSTis now hooray.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/10/hands-on-rock-band-3s-keytar-a-surprisingly-serious-80-midi-keyboard/

D-pad buttons: As on the guitar, these toggle functions, though for the keyboard all four are mapped instead of three. Up turns on and off drum mapping, right changes the pedal to foot controller, down changes pedal to channel volume, and left changes the pedal to expression.

Hey, Agreed, you ever heard of these Malden people? https://www.maldenguitars.com The deal in the store is just too good to be true.

Edit: No, that wasn't Google-Fu. Stored that article in my 'handy things' list. Worth reading for a fairly full analysis of the controller as a MIDI tool.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 26, 2010

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Agreed posted:

Warcabbit posted:

Just what I was looking for, awesome. When I get it it's going to get a new paintjob, I think I'll settle for gloss creamy white.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Noise Machine posted:

No pictures because it wasn't shipped yet but my mom got me a Theremin. I made out like a bandit this year.

Theremins are the greatest instruments. I just demonstrated my theremin to my family moments ago, they're all fascinated by it. I'm doing a "concert" for my family tomorrow with his violin and my theremin. Seriously they're awesome. What model are you getting?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Theremins are the greatest instruments. I just demonstrated my theremin to my family moments ago, they're all fascinated by it. I'm doing a "concert" for my family tomorrow with his violin and my theremin. Seriously they're awesome. What model are you getting?

Some guy out of Wisconsin makes them, I think there's only one model.

http://pages.prodigy.net/chuckcollins/about.html

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Dudes... I need... I need VSTis

It turns out I have some kind of cool natural aptitude for this, the theory I learned in college makes extremely plain sense on keys and I've been super creative and having a blast today with this thing. I am limited primarily by the fact that I have about a billion effects for guitar and like 12 VSTis, only half of which sound good. Please, experienced computer keys people, point me toward some must-have stuff. Free is the best price but I can work with it if it's worth the money, I just want awesome sounding synth/keys stuff.

My next purchase will 100% be a full-sized MIDI keyboard, although I'm surprised at how swiftly I'm picking up this little thing. One octave up at a time and it holds the last notes before the switch, allowing for pretty effective movement up and down the scale.

I've started by just getting most of the synth VSTis that have ever won a KVR developer challenge, but I welcome any and all input. Also, anyone want to point me toward a nice bang for the buck MIDI keyboard?

outerheaven11
Apr 10, 2008
Got a BBE Sonic Stomp and an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 boost pedal for Christmas. Playing through a Fender Strat with a Fender Deville 4x10 and the sound is massive. I never thought the Deville's sound was thin until I pushed these babies through it, now the LPB gives it a huge thickness while the Sonic Stomp pulls out every bit of the sonic clarity and definition and cuts you right through the mix with the bass and drums. I was skeptical (which is why I asked for it for Christmas instead of my own money, heh) but the Stomp is worth the price.

Warrior Bob
Dec 16, 2004
butt

Agreed posted:

Ichiro Toda's Synth1 is pretty popular if you're on Windows, and free. I think it's supposed to be kind of like a Nord Lead but I heard that secondhand. It was my go-to softsynth for a while before I moved over to OSX. Hopefully you don't already have it!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agreed posted:

It turns out I have some kind of cool natural aptitude for this, the theory I learned in college makes extremely plain sense on keys and I've been super creative and having a blast today with this thing.

Of course it is. Musical theory is always about keyboards, man. Always has been. One day, I'm going to want one, myself. Just... not for a few years.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Of course it is. Musical theory is always about keyboards, man. Always has been. One day, I'm going to want one, myself. Just... not for a few years.

Yeah, I dig it, I've understood intellectually how easy piano makes composition and playing for years, but this is the first time it's all clicking in my head. I mean, this is dead simple, it's like basic math simple. Guitar simplifies so much of this beyond what's necessary because of how straightforward transposition is, the straightforward relationship of "shapes" doing all the work of scales for you.

Not at all suggesting that music theory isn't useful to (or can't be learned and very well applied if all you play is) guitar, just that for me, there's an awesome floodgate of understanding opening right now and I'm pretty sure playing guitar for the last, what, six years or so and now adding keys is going to make keys a lot easier than I figured it would be, and have some serious benefits to my guitar playing as well.

Anyone have an opinion on what's the most worthwhile investment(s) for playing keys? Maybe I should make a thread for this, I have a lot of questions about keys and I primarily see guitar/bass threads. But I could have just glossed over something.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Agreed posted:

Anyone have an opinion on what's the most worthwhile investment(s) for playing keys? Maybe I should make a thread for this, I have a lot of questions about keys and I primarily see guitar/bass threads. But I could have just glossed over something.

What do you mean by worthwhile investment? Do you mean most sound possibilities per dollar spent or are you asking what is the best cost/performance ratio for a MIDI keyboard?

If the former, I say go with NI Komplete. More sounds than you can shake a stick at. The Reaktor user community alone is worth the cost of admission. I'm sure there a several here who will disagree with me but if I could only buy one VSTi suite, that's the one.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Agreed posted:

There is the new to piano thread, but that is very classical-music / piano oriented, and there is the synthesizer thread but that is more about making cool noises than actually playing the keys as an instrument.

Maybe ML could do with a keyboard megathread.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I read the posts, and I thought, "Keyboard thread: Our alphabet goes C D E F G A B"

There's been enough of "what midi keyboard do I get" and "what's a good $250 keyboard w sounds" threads to make one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Somebody with real experience in keys want to start it off? I don't mind making a thread if nobody else cares to, but I also am a total novice to the topic and if somebody who isn't wouldn't mind taking a moment to start it off with some recommendations, that'd be awesome.

To clarify, I was asking about a good, preferably at least 4-octave MIDI controller with the "good investment" question - maybe some choices for starters would be a nice way to begin the thread?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Agreed posted:

The thing you need the most is SFZ Soundfont player, and then go to here or here, load up some soundfonts into the player, and have some fun! :)

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Agreed posted:

I've started by just getting most of the synth VSTis that have ever won a KVR developer challenge, but I welcome any and all input. Also, anyone want to point me toward a nice bang for the buck MIDI keyboard?

I really like my M-Audio Oxygen series 61-key. Cheap midi controller with plenty of knobs and faders. Keys aren't weighted, but if you want that you're going to spend much more money.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Weighted doesn't matter so long as the feel is decent and velocity is consistent. Does that unit have a pretty solid build quality?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Agreed posted:

Weighted doesn't matter so long as the feel is decent and velocity is consistent. Does that unit have a pretty solid build quality?

The AKAI MPK series are the quality option, but you pay accordingly. The next best way to get quality keyboards is to buy second hand synthesizers from the late 80s/early 90s, but these will have less usable faders/knobs than most dedicated MIDI controllers. The M-Audio stuff is cheap, feature rich and workable, but not particularly good quality (although you probably wont care unless it breaks)... and most other MIDI keyboards follow a similar formula.

Also, run those VSTi's you're getting from KVR through Guitar Rig 4's effects and you've got yourself a winning combination. The freebie VSTi synths tend not to have much in the way of in-built effects, so they're often at risk of sounding a bit thin and plain... but you already have the tools at hand to fix that.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I have an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, which is weighted and perfect, but unfortunately discontinued.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What about aftertouch?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, which is weighted and perfect, but unfortunately discontinued.

zuh :confused:

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Warcabbit posted:

What about aftertouch?

Very few controllers have it, and of those that do even fewer do it well. It can be kinda cool, but it's far from being a necessary feature. If you really want to muck around with aftertouch a Yamaha SY-22 can be had for around $200, and does a nice job of it. Is a good keybed all round, except eventually the springs will work through the plastic hook on the back of the keys and break.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Schlieren posted:

zuh :confused:

Zuh. :colbert:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Caught a local ad within an hour of it going online and this ugly yellowing-plastic Roland TR-505 is going to become my primary drumsequencer, if I figure out some midi magics. The tempo potentiometer moves by itself and even if it does say 126 it's not going to loving be 126, it doesn't list decimals, the volume one is scratchy, it has bits of sticky brown residue on the sides, the back plate listing what goes where is missing, but that's okay - I finally have true TR* sequencing again to control other things with.

It used to belong to a pro accordion player who passed away and left a bunch of insane Yamaha ISA soundcards behind along with this and some obscure accordion-modules. Wonder how much http://customsynth.co.uk/ would like for an inverted scheme?

My wallet cries to the sound of cheesy 12-bit drum-samples, and it is beautiful.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It came! It survived the holidays and it came! (Forgive the horrible photoshopping to create a neutral background)

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Also got this really wifty tuner, ten bucks, Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Clip-Chromatic-Instrument-Tuner/dp/B003VWKPHC/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_text_b
It's got a visual metronome, and quite a few other fun features.

The guitar is a delight. The action is lower than anything I've played before. (Look, ma! No string trees!) The sustain is through the roof. The only 'problem' is that it collects incredible amounts of dust through static electricity in this weather. Put it near any cloth and boom, lint. It tunes in a very stable fashion, it's got sustain for days, it plays well, the neck is incredibly comfortable. There is a cutaway on the back for the torso, the 'horn' does not dig in at all. The strap button is on the horn, so it's relatively nicely balanced. Oh, and it sounds _really_ good through a clean amp, no overdrive.

Yeah, this was worth it. Now I just need to get a hard case.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Umbrella Corporation makes guitars??

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

rt4 posted:

I can't unsee Albert Wesker rocking out on that

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Huh. Didn't see that before. Now I really _am_ tempted to get this case.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Coffin-Case-G-185-Universal-Electric-Guitar-Case-102686748-i1386642.gc
I only have a hardcase for my Les Paul-alike, and the Subhuman almost fits, except it's about two inches wider at the horn. I think it'd fit here pretty okay.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rt4 posted:

Here Jill, since you're the master of tuning - set up my guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008