Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Persidian
Mar 2, 2009

by T. Finn

muscles like this? posted:

The Hellboy myth looks fun in a stupid sort of way.

Though you can bet the complaints are already rolling in for Kari calling a demon a mythical creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
These movie and TV myths are pretty silly but the show has long ago transformed into "Having Fun with Engineering" so I really don't mind how outlandish the source material is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I love that Tory made the weight into an actual fist.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Ha ha ha ha Adam turned his segway into a chariot.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Strange Matter posted:

These movie and TV myths are pretty silly but the show has long ago transformed into "Having Fun with Engineering" so I really don't mind how outlandish the source material is.

While I mostly agree with you I don't know you can use the E-card with the majority of this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That didn't look like the "front of the lever" to me announcer man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

haveblue posted:

No myth in an episode will ever be as retarded as moon landing denial. You could feel the contempt leeching through the screen whenever they explained a debunking.

A Truther episode would be fantastic...for me, anyway. The Truthers would just pull their usual bullshit in response.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Between tonight's Hellboy test and the Lethal Weapon bit from a few weeks ago, they must have picked up a ton of dirt cheap Grand Cherokees at a police auction, or something.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

A Truther episode would be fantastic...for me, anyway. The Truthers would just pull their usual bullshit in response.

"...BUT YOU CAN'T TEST BUILDING SEVEN!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

JethroMcB posted:

Between tonight's Hellboy test and the Lethal Weapon bit from a few weeks ago, they must have picked up a ton of dirt cheap Grand Cherokees at a police auction, or something.

"...BUT YOU CAN'T TEST BUILDING SEVEN!"

"Doctored footage, clearly they didn't use the same Thermite Paint the Bilderbergs used"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was going to point out that they also should have stopped the forward motion of the truck in the Hellboy myth, but before they even did it, Grant explicitly mentions it's one of the two criteria needed for the myth to work. Guess they forgot.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I loved Adam's shirt of him wearing a shirt of him wearing a shirt of him wearing a shirt.

Also Obama, they did this myth like three times and got the same result.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know Jamie only has one outfit but he really couldn't have at least attempted to dress up for the loving President?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know Jamie only has one outfit but he really couldn't have at least attempted to dress up for the loving President?

Adam was basically dressed like a g-man, so it's not like he wasn't doing his same "playing dress up" gimmick he always does.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"Doctored footage, clearly they didn't use the same Thermite Paint the Bilderbergs used"

Strangely enough the Mythbusters through their use of thermite actually pointed out an important fact that most truthers ignore. You would know if you saw therite because it burns bright enough to eat away at your eyes. Also,I wouldn't trust the Mythbusters to not neglect certain aspects of the truther bullshit that would wildly swing the results. For example the nanothermite claim is utterly riduculous because heat cause nanoparticles to sinter which then wildly changes the characteristics of the material. Then you have the fact that a lot of the "experts" on the truther side are loving nuts to the level of oogie boogieness. There was the physisist who actually thought that cardboard boxes were perfectly apt at modeling the collapse of the WTC.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Hazo posted:

I was going to point out that they also should have stopped the forward motion of the truck in the Hellboy myth, but before they even did it, Grant explicitly mentions it's one of the two criteria needed for the myth to work. Guess they forgot.

I was also wondering how they were going to get the level truck to flip over with that giant loving LEVER sticking out.

I miss the old Mythbusters where they didn't spoil results in the opening preview or split the myths up to cover an entire episode.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I keep hoping for a 9/11 conspiracy episode.

I saw an interview saying they wanted to do at, but they'd never be able to scale it up to satisfy everyone.

They said wanted to do evolution too, I'd have loved to see that. I bet the network would have vetoed both idea too though :(

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

I miss the old Mythbusters where they didn't spoil results in the opening preview

See, I feel they have actually gotten better about that. There for a while nearly every episode had one of the "surprise" moments fully spoiled in the opening by running the footage just a few seconds longer than they should have. This also happened in the bumpers they showed before they went to a commercial. They must have gotten new editors or someone told them to knock it off, cause they don't do that nearly as often now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spalec posted:

I saw an interview saying they wanted to do at, but they'd never be able to scale it up to satisfy everyone.

Another good reason not to do it? The tone of the show would get dark - fast. Aside from the obvious emotional difficulties of recreating such tragic mayhem on a satisfying scale, I can't imagine Adam and Jamie not doing an in-camera interview where they don't sound like they want to loving strangle any truthers that might be watching. They BARELY contained their contempt for moon landing conspiracy theorists as it was.

Evolution, though? Bring that poo poo on.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Strange Matter posted:

Ha ha ha ha Adam turned his segway into a chariot.

The chariot segway and the image of the little plastic fist bouncing off the springy car cracked me the gently caress up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Segway chariot was good. No arguing with that.

edgeman83 posted:

See, I feel they have actually gotten better about that. There for a while nearly every episode had one of the "surprise" moments fully spoiled in the opening by running the footage just a few seconds longer than they should have. This also happened in the bumpers they showed before they went to a commercial. They must have gotten new editors or someone told them to knock it off, cause they don't do that nearly as often now.

Another editing thing they've almost stopped doing are those horrible cutaways right before the action.

Take the Hellboy fist myth in the latest episode. Usually they would have shown the car getting pulled along and the fist dropping. Then, right before the impact, they'd suddenly change camera angles three times and you couldn't get a good look at what just happened.

Somebody must have felt it gave the scene more 'energy' or made it more 'dynamic' or some bullshit. No, just let me loving watch what's happening :argh:

Then they replay the scene half a dozen more times and, every goddamn time, do a cutaway right before the money shot. They only time you ever got a good look at what happened was either in the slow motion playbacks where they only had one camera to work with or, later in the episode, when they decided it was necessary to remind viewers what they had watched a whole five minutes earlier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Old news, but I just now watched the turtling car myth and holy gently caress I was hyperventilating the entire time Adam was underwater :ohdear:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't even drive near water except for once in a blue moon and, after the first underwater car, still went and bought a glow in the dark "life hammer" from Amazon and fixed it the roof lining of my daily drive. And I got one of the little ResQme tools that go on your keychain so I have one with me always.

Seriously, gently caress sitting calmly while the car fills up with water and the pressures equalise. I'm smashing the window in the first microsecond and squeezing out the window like satan himself had just farted in the passenger seat.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Last week on Mythbusters: The President of the United States!

This week on Mythbusters...Seth...Rogan

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Universe Master posted:

Last week on Mythbusters: The President of the United States!

This week on Mythbusters...Seth...Rogan

And... myths from a movie that isn't even out!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And spoilers for cool moments from said movie!

e: :lol: at Grant busting the myth in under five seconds

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This bulldozer's heavier than my wife!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's weird how when Mythbusters completely runs out of steam they just blow poo poo up, and it somehow isn't at all entertaining. I bet it is for them, but not much for us.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know why Gold Rush is so entertaining. It's just one failure and disaster after another.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is kind of a weird myth for an episode right before Christmas.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Slap.... some sense. :ughh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the rooms are scale models, the Tom Cruise doll is life sized.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This whole test/myth doesn't sound very... safe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tonight on Mythbusters, oh my god adrenaline exists! :rolleyes: :sigh:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know why Gold Rush is so entertaining. It's just one failure and disaster after another.

Same reason goons watch Whale Wars.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

IRQ posted:

Tonight on Mythbusters, oh my god adrenaline exists! :rolleyes: :sigh:

They also discovered that more explosives equals... more deadly!

But come on, they've been doing this poo poo for like 8 years, on average about 20 episodes a season. After over 150 episodes (at least 2 "myths" per episode) I think it's safe to say they're running a little thin on real, testable myths to bust.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But they really shouldn't be running out, that's what gets me. There are hundreds of books on old myths, wives' tales, sayings, proverbs and saws. Even straight-up historical myths would be a goldmine.

If they're having trouble finding the books, they could go to one of those Soul, Body and Wallet 'alternative' festivals that have just about every stallholder trying to sell you ridiculous mystical crap.

Or give the Skeptics a call. Remember the woman from the first season who studied folk myths? I bet she'd have a few.

So, I just don't know why they seem to be pulling out so many lame myths.

That said, I really liked the Hitler myth, but mainly because I'm nostalgic for the time when the educational channels had shows like that rather than all UFOs and ice roads.

Like when Richard Hammond did a special on Guy Fawkes trying to blow up parliament. That could make a great myth to bust. It's got history intrigue and a huge loving explosion.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

If they're having trouble finding the books, they could go to one of those Soul, Body and Wallet 'alternative' festivals that have just about every stallholder trying to sell you ridiculous mystical crap.

They said a while ago they're trying to stay away from the "ooky-kooky" myths, after how Pyramid Power went.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

iastudent posted:

They said a while ago they're trying to stay away from the "ooky-kooky" myths, after how Pyramid Power went.

But they can still make historical booms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFytcsA9mU8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd really like to see a "behind the scenes" episode of Mythbusters where they take an episode that's already aired and kind of deconstruct it so you see how it actually went without the editing. Because there are times when everything is pretty obviously planned out but they pretend to go back and forth between the workshop and out in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

I'd really like to see a "behind the scenes" episode of Mythbusters where they take an episode that's already aired and kind of deconstruct it so you see how it actually went without the editing. Because there are times when everything is pretty obviously planned out but they pretend to go back and forth between the workshop and out in the field.

There was already a behind the scenes type of episode that went into bits of that. I think it's on Netflix for streaming in one of the collections.

• Locked thread