Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Good to know. I'll be working on a bunch of Heros soon and I'll follow that method.

Makes me think - If I'm rooting a bunch of Heros, is there a way I can do that process once, on one Hero, and someone copy over a backup on all the other phones? Basically thinking of how I can root, install wireless tether and a few other things, even change the boot screen, and make it a backup that I can apply to all the phones I have quickly.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I'm on CM 6.1.1 or whatever and I still haven't gotten the new Market. I flashed a hacked version of the market but found it's not ... well it's not formatted right for the Evo.

I flashed a Market update which had HUGE padding for everything, looked horrible. I found another ZIP which I flashed after clearing cache on the Market.

I believe this is the one that works properly: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10024525

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

therealNeoS posted:

I have finally rooted my Droid X. I then proceeded to install gummyJar as the ROM.

As much as I like gummyJar, the geek in me wants to find something else. Does anybody know if Cyanogenmod 7 is coming to the DX?

It probably will, when CM7 is more than just a twinkle in a dev's eye.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

yamdankee posted:

That seems like a lot of work. Does SuperOneClickRoot not work for the Hero?

Makes me think - If I'm rooting a bunch of Heros, is there a way I can do that process once, on one Hero, and someone copy over a backup on all the other phones? Basically thinking of how I can root, install wireless tether and a few other things, even change the boot screen, and make it a backup that I can apply to all the phones I have quickly.

Its just copy and paste. And it gives you enough info that if you wanted to know wtf you could find out what your actually doing heh.

As for everything else, I would think just modify the cyanogen rom with the extra's you want/need. Rom building is easy enough. XDA has plenty of how-to's. Just inject the extra apk's so its all done in one heap. For the rooting, it cant take more than 5 mins.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Rooting my Nexus S to install CM7 and I'm wondering if there is any way to backup everything before unlocking my bootloader since that wipes all user data. I know I can use Titanium Backup once I'm rooted, but I don't think that helps me in this case.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
Protip: If you are a shitheel and steal a cell phone you should probably respond back to the person when he starts shooting you angry texts with your GPS loc in them and calling the phone constantly anytime you turn it on. This suggests possibly he's not your average cell phone user.

At least you were smart enough to hand it back when he was standing outside your car in the parking lot because you left the phone in it.

Trip report: The sprint family locator that utilizes the GPS in your phone works pretty well. 14 day free trial to recover a stolen evo as opposed to $100 claim through TEP.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Crossposted from OS thread:

Flashed the new fresh update on my EVO using clockworkmod, and was about to try to reflash the updated radios. Is there any issues doing this with clockwork? I seem to have been reading some mixed results using clockwork.

Also, is it necessary to update the radios?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Casao posted:

Space. Apps install on /Data partition, which is a different partition from /System. Moving an app to /System frees up some space.

OK. How do you know how much space you have on each partition? Can you update apps from the Market without any issues, or do you have to move them back in order to update them? (For instance, if I wanted to move, say Flash, AIR, and all of the Google Apps over to /System to leave myself more space on /Data...or is this a bad idea?)

Right now my phone shows that I have a total of 428MB of Total Internal Storage, with 107MB free. How do I know how much space I have on /System to move things over?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I'm on CM 6.1.1 or whatever and I still haven't gotten the new Market. I flashed a hacked version of the market but found it's not ... well it's not formatted right for the Evo.

I'm running 6.1.1 on my EVO also. I was just wondering.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

me too. do you lose anything at all by not having the new one?

This made me curious too. I don't think there is anything to be lost yet, but I just wanted to be sure.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I think I read the new Market breaks the Appbrain Fast Web Installer, just something to keep note of if you use it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Blast from the past time.

I'm running the last version of Dwang on my G1. I recently got pushed the new market update and began ham fisting the "update all" button. I'm running apps2sd. Now when ever I'm on the home screen and tilt the phone to auto rotate, I get "The process android.process.acore hast stopped unexpectadly. Please try again. It's annoying as gently caress and I need to fix it.

I think it has something to do with apps2sd. Help?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

I Dont Like You posted:

I think I read the new Market breaks the Appbrain Fast Web Installer, just something to keep note of if you use it.
The separate Fast Web Installer app? I think that's deprecated now anyway, as the function was integrated with the main Appbrain app.

Also, I tried to open the new market in an area where I can only get a GPRS data connection. Oh boy, was that a mistake.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

I Dont Like You posted:

That broke on an earlier market update, prior to the "new" market.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

900ftjesus posted:

That broke on an earlier market update, prior to the "new" market.

I thought that straight up broke with Froyo.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sunblood posted:

I thought that straight up broke with Froyo.

No, it's worked with froyo for months - it originally required it. It broke 2 or 3 updates ago.

Ozmodiar posted:

OK. How do you know how much space you have on each partition? Can you update apps from the Market without any issues, or do you have to move them back in order to update them? (For instance, if I wanted to move, say Flash, AIR, and all of the Google Apps over to /System to leave myself more space on /Data...or is this a bad idea?)

Right now my phone shows that I have a total of 428MB of Total Internal Storage, with 107MB free. How do I know how much space I have on /System to move things over?

Updates will be installed to /data. It means after the first update, it will go back to taking up space in /data until you migrate it again.

As far as I'm aware, there's no issue moving things to /system - I've only done it a few times.

As for telling, that should be /data - for example, I have an N1, which has 512MB internal memory. Of that, 196MB is devoted to /data. So my Internal Storage space shows 196MB, with 40.93MB available. I'm not sure how to tell how much you have in /system easily, so hopefully someone will correct me. If you're slightly comfortable with command line:

code:
cd /system
df -h .
will tell you the size, used and available numbers for it.

Slow is Fast posted:

Blast from the past time.

I'm running the last version of Dwang on my G1. I recently got pushed the new market update and began ham fisting the "update all" button. I'm running apps2sd. Now when ever I'm on the home screen and tilt the phone to auto rotate, I get "The process android.process.acore hast stopped unexpectadly. Please try again. It's annoying as gently caress and I need to fix it.

I think it has something to do with apps2sd. Help?

Reflash without a wipe, it should fix it. If it doesn't, reflash and wipe.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I may be getting a replacement phone from verizon and want to make sure everything (texts, call history, etc) gets transferred over.

Can I just do a full backup with Titanium Backup, root the new phone, install TB, and restore? Will that basically clone my old phone onto the new one?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

I may be getting a replacement phone from verizon and want to make sure everything (texts, call history, etc) gets transferred over.

Can I just do a full backup with Titanium Backup, root the new phone, install TB, and restore? Will that basically clone my old phone onto the new one?

If you have Titanium Backup backup everything including system apps and data, it should.

SMS Backup+ will also do the same thing without needing root.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

yamdankee posted:

Can you boot into fastboot mode? Maybe you can try loading a custom recovery again.

I managed to load an unrooted vanilla rom back onto it through fastboot. Thanks for your help, i feel like such a dumbass.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Casao posted:

I'm not sure how to tell how much you have in /system easily, so hopefully someone will correct me.

This is an incomplete solution, but if you use Root Explorer to navigate to /system, the bar at the top of the screen will tell you how much space is free there. Doesn't give you any info about the partition's total size, but you can at least see how much room you have to play.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LordOfThePants posted:

Easiest way of doing a complete backup is making a Nandroid.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Easiest way of doing a complete backup is making a Nandroid.

Nandroids can be incredibly funky when transfered between hardware, especially if there's any slight revision in hardware. It would absolutely be a better idea to use Titanium Backup.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Scrubed posted:

Protip: If you are a shitheel and steal a cell phone you should probably respond back to the person when he starts shooting you angry texts with your GPS loc in them and calling the phone constantly anytime you turn it on. This suggests possibly he's not your average cell phone user.

At least you were smart enough to hand it back when he was standing outside your car in the parking lot because you left the phone in it.

Trip report: The sprint family locator that utilizes the GPS in your phone works pretty well. 14 day free trial to recover a stolen evo as opposed to $100 claim through TEP.

What you shouldve done was have the police waiting with you.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

pmMike posted:

I managed to load an unrooted vanilla rom back onto it through fastboot. Thanks for your help, i feel like such a dumbass.

So i've got the OS up and running again fine, however it's now no longer rooted (obviously) and the recovery part doesn't work. Rooting just hangs on "pushing recovery" if I try now. I'm honestly not sure what to do.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I want to flash my radio updates (latest fresh ROM, EVO), but hear problems with clockworkmod recovery. How do i install amonra recovery so i can flash them safely?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm running CM 6.1.1 on my Evo, freshly installed with absolutely no backed up content (so completely clean) about three weeks ago. Since switching, I've noticed that my WiFi does not stay connected when idle, nor does it reconnect if I pull it out to do something. I don't notice it often since Sprint is good in my area and most of what I do on the phone while at home is low bandwidth, but for example if I want to access my home automation web page or use the XBMC Remote app I have to force it back to WiFi every time.

Any ideas on how to get it back to stock/Fresh behavior where it goes out and hunts for known WiFi the second you try to do anything data-related?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

wolrah posted:

I'm running CM 6.1.1 on my Evo, freshly installed with absolutely no backed up content (so completely clean) about three weeks ago. Since switching, I've noticed that my WiFi does not stay connected when idle, nor does it reconnect if I pull it out to do something. I don't notice it often since Sprint is good in my area and most of what I do on the phone while at home is low bandwidth, but for example if I want to access my home automation web page or use the XBMC Remote app I have to force it back to WiFi every time.

Any ideas on how to get it back to stock/Fresh behavior where it goes out and hunts for known WiFi the second you try to do anything data-related?

Isnt there somewhere that allows you to set the wifi sleep policy? its somewhere in the battery settings I think. You can get to it using Spare Parts.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wolrah posted:

I've been having the same problem on my EVO with 6.1.1. Have you noticed problems with 3G at all? I can't seem to connect to a 3G network anywhere.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Casao posted:

Nandroids can be incredibly funky when transfered between hardware, especially if there's any slight revision in hardware. It would absolutely be a better idea to use Titanium Backup.

I used to find Titanium to be strange, but I used it last night to back up all Angry Birds, Game Dev Story, & Mini Squadron data (game saves), plus Swype to avoid the silly installation process. It really is a fantastic app.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Scrubed posted:

May I ask what you were using that allowed you to narrow it down to a specific car?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tigren posted:

I've been having the same problem on my EVO with 6.1.1. Have you noticed problems with 3G at all? I can't seem to connect to a 3G network anywhere.

No 3G problems, but seeing that it wasn't just me I decided to search a bit more and found this bug: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=2595

Looks like it's a known problem that started at 6.1RC2. Flashing a different kernel seems to help, so I guess it's time to look at compatible kernels and try to figure out which one is best.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 30, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've said it before but I really need to sing Tranquility's praises again. If you have a rooted Droid X and are thinking about installing a ROM on it - this is the one. Not only does it take away Blur, but it allows you to add in any Blur options that you may have actually wanted to keep. It has the "Tranq Toolbox" that allows you to easily change things like boot/system animations, the latest comes preloaded with a bunch of themes, including a gingerbread theme that I am currently using. I think it's the most polished, supported, and well done ROM for the Droid X.

Edit: Scrubed, I think what you did was awesome. Screw dragging police into it. Glad you got your phone back! On the local news last night someone actually got their car stolen and he used his iPad (:iamafag:) to track it down because his iPhone (:iamafag:) was still inside the car. The police chased him but ended up crashing into the guy. Found his car though.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 29, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I want to flash my radio updates (latest fresh ROM, EVO), but hear problems with clockworkmod recovery. How do i install amonra recovery so i can flash them safely?

If you have Rom Manager installed, you can use it to install an "Alternate Recovery", which is Amonra.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you have Rom Manager installed, you can use it to install an "Alternate Recovery", which is Amonra.

e: did it.

e2: patience.

Thanks for your help

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Isnt there somewhere that allows you to set the wifi sleep policy? its somewhere in the battery settings I think. You can get to it using Spare Parts.

Settings -> WiFi -> WiFi Settings -> Menu -> Advanced -> WiFi Sleep Policy.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
So I got my Milestone rooted with SuperOneClickRoot and I guess I need a new Rom to work the WiFi tethering app for rooted phones. After doing asking my friend, I guess I have to do the long way around rooting tutorial to be able to do anything with the Rom. As I Google searched, it turns out most of the tutorials/guides/files are for the UK Milestones, and I have a US one (Through a small town telco), and the 3g bands in the downloads are for the UK only. Any ideas?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Trip report: Droid Pro, Z4 Root, and Wireless Tether

Slick as hell.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shinx posted:

So I got my Milestone rooted with SuperOneClickRoot and I guess I need a new Rom to work the WiFi tethering app for rooted phones. After doing asking my friend, I guess I have to do the long way around rooting tutorial to be able to do anything with the Rom. As I Google searched, it turns out most of the tutorials/guides/files are for the UK Milestones, and I have a US one (Through a small town telco), and the 3g bands in the downloads are for the UK only. Any ideas?

XDA is your best bet - hit up the GSM Milestone section and ask this there. I doubt many people have US GSM Milestones here.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What MIUI release should I be looking at if I have a N1?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do I just need to find the AmonRa.zip somewhere and then point Rom Manager to the file? Right now it says 'No Alternate Found' so I think that is what is missing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Turnquiet posted:

Do I just need to find the AmonRa.zip somewhere and then point Rom Manager to the file? Right now it says 'No Alternate Found' so I think that is what is missing.

I'd suggest flashing via ADB. It's simple once adb is set up.
Here is the instructions for an Evo 4g. It's from Aug 28.. but it appears to be the newest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
I used UOT Kitchen to get a circle battery framework-res.apk. When I installed it, everything started crashing. Ok fine, I had a backup so no worries. First I tried restoring only the system portion from the backup, but everything is still crashing. Does anyone know why? The mod should only replace framework-res in system, so it seems kind of weird that the crashing continues after restoring the working system. I ended up sucking up and restoring the complete backup, but I'm curious why restoring only the system didn't work.

Edit: Ha, apparently even restoring the complete backup doesn't help. Oh well. I guess it's time to factory reset and start re-installing everything.

Jack Flint fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 30, 2010