Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
I got a Bronica SQ-A outfit for christmas and I finally got to go to the photo store to buy some 120 film today (loving blizzard in New England kept me pent up for 2 days). I bought 2 rolls of Portra 160NC and 2 rolls of Portra 400VC. I took my first photo with it tonight in the hallway under tungsten light. I set it up on the tripod and triple checked the exposure a billion times with my T2i. It's so nerve-wracking to work will a fully manual camera with no meter for the first time, especially when 12 photos cost like 7 bucks plus development and print costs. I'm going to wait until daylight for the rest of the exposures because well, daylight balanced film and all.

I don't know about how to get 120 printed around here... seems like getting it developed might be fine but until I get a darkroom setup (no room in my apartment & no community darkroom - it seems) how should I go about getting 6x6 prints made? I know they have to be cropped, but does the printer usually just make a call on how to crop or what? Who's good to go through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mannequin posted:

No, tap water filtered through one of those PUR filters. Guess I should get some photo-flo...

I use photo-flo as well as a film squeegee that I picked up at B&H. Some people worry that the squeegee will cause dust to scratch the film but it's never happened to me. I have hard water so photo-flo alone was never enough.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm going to photography business tomorrow to buy medium format color film. What should I buy?

I already know I'm gonna get Velvia 50 and Porta 160VC. I'm going to be shooting outside, mostly. Slide or negative are both good. I just want to know about other good films.

Related: are there any films currently produced that look like Agfa 1000RS? I like the grain.

Also, my dad just gave me his Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 folder (Voigtar 6.3 lens). What should I do with it?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

atomicthumbs posted:

Related: are there any films currently produced that look like Agfa 1000RS? I like the grain.

Also, my dad just gave me his Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 folder (Voigtar 6.3 lens). What should I do with it?

Fuji Superia 800 is pretty chunky and not too expensive. Give that a go.

Does the Bessa work? If so, use it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Cannister posted:

I got a Bronica SQ-A outfit for christmas and I finally got to go to the photo store to buy some 120 film today (loving blizzard in New England kept me pent up for 2 days). I bought 2 rolls of Portra 160NC and 2 rolls of Portra 400VC. I took my first photo with it tonight in the hallway under tungsten light. I set it up on the tripod and triple checked the exposure a billion times with my T2i. It's so nerve-wracking to work will a fully manual camera with no meter for the first time, especially when 12 photos cost like 7 bucks plus development and print costs. I'm going to wait until daylight for the rest of the exposures because well, daylight balanced film and all.

I don't know about how to get 120 printed around here... seems like getting it developed might be fine but until I get a darkroom setup (no room in my apartment & no community darkroom - it seems) how should I go about getting 6x6 prints made? I know they have to be cropped, but does the printer usually just make a call on how to crop or what? Who's good to go through?

Have you thought about going the digital darkroom route with the lack of space and other facilities?

And congrats on the Bronica, I have an SQ-Ai with an 80mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/3.5, very happy with it. Beware, you'll never like going back to 35mm.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Can somebody definitively tell me the differences between the epson V500 and V600? I've found a billion threads on photo.net and rangefinderforums but all of it turns into arguing about the ultimate resolution of film and I am completely incapable of finding any real differences, even on the epson website they seem really similar.

I have christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I need a scanner now that I have 6 rolls of kodachrome that will be someday returned to me, and 2 rolls of provia. Plus more provia in the fridge.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cannister posted:

Personally, I'd recommend the digital darkroom route as well. You can develop your own film without a proper darkroom, all you need is a changing bag to get it off of the roll and onto the reel, which is then placed in a light-tight tank that allows you to add/drain liquid without exposing the film. You can pick up an Epson V500 for $100-125 and not have to worry about costly lab scans.

Rontalvos posted:

Can somebody definitively tell me the differences between the epson V500 and V600? I've found a billion threads on photo.net and rangefinderforums but all of it turns into arguing about the ultimate resolution of film and I am completely incapable of finding any real differences, even on the epson website they seem really similar.

I have christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I need a scanner now that I have 6 rolls of kodachrome that will be someday returned to me, and 2 rolls of provia. Plus more provia in the fridge.

It sounds like they really aren't that different, I'd get whatever looks most convenient to you. If you only do 35mm, you might look at one of those dedicated film scanners, which tend to produce better results than flatbeds.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Personally, I'd recommend the digital darkroom route as well. You can develop your own film without a proper darkroom, all you need is a changing bag to get it off of the roll and onto the reel, which is then placed in a light-tight tank that allows you to add/drain liquid without exposing the film. You can pick up an Epson V500 for $100-125 and not have to worry about costly lab scans.

It sounds like they really aren't that different, I'd get whatever looks most convenient to you. If you only do 35mm, you might look at one of those dedicated film scanners, which tend to produce better results than flatbeds.

I shoot both 120 and 35mm, but I shoot more 120. And that's precisely the problem, they aren't much different, but does anybody know what ARE the differences?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Cannister posted:

North Coast Photographic Services might be able to do that. You should give them a call. I just sent two batches of 35mm negatives for them to scan, but they also do prints and stuff. I formerly dealt with a company called Slide Converter, but their website appears to be down at the moment. (They might be able to do 6x6 prints also). They were okay, but I'm giving North Coast Photo a try since they have a good reputation.

Otherwise, you could always get the negatives scanned and turned into digital files and then go about printing it yourself. Or if you don't want to do the actual printing, you could get them professionally printed and then just slice the photos with a paper cutter.

Rontalvos posted:

I shoot both 120 and 35mm, but I shoot more 120. And that's precisely the problem, they aren't much different, but does anybody know what ARE the differences?

This guy seems to know his poo poo when it comes to scanners. His native language is German so some of his English is a bit muddy, but his reviews are pretty good. If that doesn't help, try calling Epson and asking them what the differences are. Or give B&H a call and see what one of their sales reps says.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Rontalvos posted:

Well the 600 is basically a newer slightly upgraded 500. I bought one because the price difference wasn't very large at the time. I would buy the cheaper one and put the extra cash into a betterscanning.com holder and/or Silverfast Ai. The stock epson holders are newton ring city with 120 film and the supplied software is terrible.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anyone know any good places in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or directly between the two where I could get 120 film? My local photo store is out of everything except Provia 400X, and I do not want Provia 400X.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone know any good places in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or directly between the two where I could get 120 film? My local photo store is out of everything except Provia 400X, and I do not want Provia 400X.
San Francisco has tons of photo stores. I generally go to Photoworks just because they are closest to me. You also have Calumet, Oscars, Photographers Supply, and Adolph Gassers.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 30, 2010

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Yeah, I go to Calumet or Gassers if I need film right away. Otherwise I just order from Freestyle.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Discount Photography looks pretty good. :haw:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Discount Photography looks pretty good. :haw:

:siren: Most expensive camera store in the City! :siren: Literally, by a factor of 10. :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McMadCow posted:

:siren: Most expensive camera store in the City! :siren: Literally, by a factor of 10. :(

hence the :haw:.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Keeble in Palo Alto has a lot of 120 film. That's typically where I go if I can't wait for some delivery.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just googled Arista Legacy Pro 100 to make sure it hadn't been discontinued (was thinking of Legacy Pro 400, RIP cheap Neopan 400) and my Flickr page was on the first page of results :3:

I've experimented with D76, have some Diafine I'll probably never use, and normally gravitate towards HC-110 (dilution H) for a B&W developer. Anything else I might want to throw in my next Freestyle order?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
LP100 is the poo poo. It's my standard 100 film. I bulk load it. Order lots because you'll love it. It's the perfect combo of the grain of a T-film with the contrast of a traditional film. I've used it with XTOL with great results.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Microdol-X is back as Legacy Pro Mic-X. I have a package I'm going to mix up and use to do my next batch. In high dilutions (1:3) it enhances acutance rather than suppressing grain, supposedly it works great on Acros.

(LP100 is Acros)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone here by some remote chance have any Kodak Technidol developer? *waits for orange lime to show up*

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Does anyone here by some remote chance have any Kodak Technidol developer? *waits for orange lime to show up*

It pops up on eBay, but Photographer's Formulary TD-3 was also made for tech pan and is still available.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

hence the :haw:.

I had to be sure. :colbert:

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Has anyone figured out how to scan Velvia? My Velvia scans look like crap. They are muddy and unsharp. Looks like I scanned it through vaseline.

E100G on the other hand looks amazing. I love that film.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what's the fastest color medium format film? turns out superia is 135 only.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

atomicthumbs posted:

what's the fastest color medium format film? turns out superia is 135 only.

You can get Portra in 800.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

HPL posted:

You can get Portra in 800.

There's also Fuji Pro 800z.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Snaily posted:

There's also Fuji Pro 800z.
It's been discontinued in all but 135.

Dads
Dec 14, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Wow that is some crazy looking grain.

Dads
Dec 14, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Developing C41 is harder than this makes it sound. For most people it is worth it to pay the $5-10 lab development fee and then scan yourself. It IS worth it to buy your own scanner and learn how to use it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dads posted:

Developing C41 is harder than this makes it sound. For most people it is worth it to pay the $5-10 lab development fee and then scan yourself. It IS worth it to buy your own scanner and learn how to use it.

Sorry, I only meant B&W. Doing your own C-41, especially 35mm, is seldom worth it. CVS down the street does mine for $2.69 a roll or something.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
I picked up a Rolleicord V this weekend and developed my first roll of 120 last night. I've done 35mm successfully many times, but this is what I ended up with:

I'm thinking this is one of two things:

1.) Not enough developer to cover the whole roll
2.) Air bubbles that I didn't tap out correctly (looks like some bubble shapes there).

I used the recommended 500ml that the Paterson tank said on the bottom for 120/220, but was that not enough? This was my first 120 roll, so if anyone has any clues where I went wrong, it would be appreciated.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

beeker posted:

I picked up a Rolleicord V this weekend and developed my first roll of 120 last night. I've done 35mm successfully many times, but this is what I ended up with:

I'm thinking this is one of two things:

1.) Not enough developer to cover the whole roll
2.) Air bubbles that I didn't tap out correctly (looks like some bubble shapes there).

I used the recommended 500ml that the Paterson tank said on the bottom for 120/220, but was that not enough? This was my first 120 roll, so if anyone has any clues where I went wrong, it would be appreciated.

That looks like option 1 to me, if the dark band was at the top edge of the tank. Those bubbles are probably just from foam sticking to the dry portion of film when you shook it.

Make sure you fill the tank until it starts to overflow.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's not really the best idea, actually. If you fill it to max capacity, you won't have any void in your tank and you'll get less effective agitation. I mix 8oz for each 35mm reel and 16 for each 120. That should keep your reels submerged while still leaving a bit of space in the tank. If you DO fill the tank to overflow, just pour a bit out. After your agitations, smack the tank on the counter to dislodge any air bubbles you've created.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

the bottom of the tank shows how much solution to pour in...you don't need to needlessly waste your chemistry. i measured for 120 and water level is almost a centimeter extra above the film. that leaves a lot of void as mcmadcow says

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe the reel hopped up a notch or two on the rod?

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Hmm that's plausible too since god knows what I was doing when I was in the dark. Thanks everyone, I'm gonna double check the amount of chemistry with water and no film on the reel before my next roll and I'll make sure it's pushed all the way down.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just check the level with developed film and water or photoflo in an open tank.
E:fb

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

beeker posted:

To pose a stupid response, that's not due to the tape at the end of the roll holding it on to the backing is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
That's a good thought, but this spans the entire roll, so it's probably just the fact that it wasn't fully submerged.