Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jackpot posted:

I figured all of it out, I didn't notice that itunes is a pain in the rear end sometimes with its syncing. I had turned off one of the syncing options so it turned all of them off, then when I tried to turn them back on it gave me scary messages about how it was going to remove all my songs and then drive itself back to the store or something. Once I hit all the checkboxes in the right order it was fine and the books got moved over and into iBooks.

As an aside, I just came from a 5G Classic that had an Invisible Shield on it front and back. So I guess I never noticed until now just how loving awful it is to put a polished silver back on something like this. Why do they still do it? I've only had this thing for a week and I've babied it, but the back is a scratched up mess.
The invisible shield on my 1g nano held up for ~3 years, before I had to pull it off to change the battery, and that nano promptly scratched to poo poo.

I just got a new touch, too, so a shield was on it day one. Check out protech -- 11.99 shipped (full body) on their ebay store, including free lifetime replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just got the SwitchEasy RebelTouch case for the Touch 4G and I can't recommend it enough! The case is durable and adds just enough heft to make it fit my hand perfectly,and SwitchEasy's screen protectors aren't anything to laugh at. You can't beat the price, either - just a hair under $30 shipped.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Crotch Bat posted:

The only other option is to follow a guide online and turn the polished metal back into a brushed metal back that doesn't collect the scratches and whatnot.
Yeah, I saw that on lifehacker a while back, I'd love to give it a try once mine gets messed up.

This is badass:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Is there any way to use Winamp to sync to a 4th-gen touch? It doesn't seem to recognise it out the box, and it seems like ml_ipod doesn't support anything above version 3.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr Tran posted:

My 9 year old nephew is getting one of these for christmas. Do I need to set it up for him?

Didn't even last a week before he broke it. Looking up repair info now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

Didn't even last a week before he broke it. Looking up repair info now.
How the hell did he do that? Was he hammering in nails with it? :wtc:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Karthe posted:

How the hell did he do that? Was he hammering in nails with it? :wtc:

Of all things, he bit it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Charlie bit my ipooddd

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Not sure if this is the right place for my question--I looked for the iTunes thread in AV, but couldn't find it.

Has anybody else been prompted by iTunes to change their password recently? I was a couple of days ago, when I tried to download a free single. I changed it, and later saw that iTunes had charged $1.00 to my credit card account. Not 0.99 or 1.29--an even dollar. This has happened before, and at the time, what it meant was that a third party had acquired my credit card info and was testing it out with a small purchase before trying it on a larger scale. But since this charge coincided with a prompt from Apple itself, I'm not sure what's going on. I definitely didn't buy anything.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Man I was all about the iSkin case for the Gen3 so I went to get one for my gen4, only the gen 4 one no longer has the plastic shield, but it's still equally expensive, way to suck iSkin.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The alarm feature of the clock on my iPod Touch 4G doesn't work anymore and I can't figure out what's going on. I set the alarm time, the tiny alarm icon appears next to the battery on the top right...and then the device simply ignores the alarm time and does nothing.

zegs
Aug 21, 2008

Too zegs to live
Too zegs to die
Too zegsy for this shirt
Too zegs to exist

Jack's Flow posted:

The alarm feature of the clock on my iPod Touch 4G doesn't work anymore and I can't figure out what's going on. I set the alarm time, the tiny alarm icon appears next to the battery on the top right...and then the device simply ignores the alarm time and does nothing.

Don't take this as gospel; I don't use my pod as an alarm. However, I did hear a workmate ask another workmate about this and both their alarms failed today.

Something to do with the new year perhaps? Holy gently caress balls and kittens, 2KY IS HERE!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This might be why...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/31/iphone-clock-bug-prevents-alarm-triggers-after-new-years/

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks a lot! That "fixed" it.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Okay I have a very VERY annoying problem.

I'm sure the whole "how the gently caress do I sync my poo poo" topic has been done to death.. but for the life of me I can not figure out this very specific problem.

Now, here's the rub.

I have no idea how to properly sync my MENU SETUP for my iPod touch.

I already have ALL my programs backed up on my computer, everything I have even bought and downloaded is there as far as Apps go. I don't THINK I will lose anything except for MY PRECIOUS TIME reorganizing poo poo ALL EVERYTHING. I'd rather spend that hour or hour and a half doing something else, like touching myself.

Here is what my iTunes screen currently looks like. I've got my pages down to a very svelt 6 pages with multiple folders inside those pages set up just the way I like it.

Problem is.. check it out.. everything is gray'd the gently caress out. If I wanted to transfer something FROM my iTunes INTO my iPod.. I'm gonna have to fuckin click that SYNC box.

FINE.. let's click this button...

OHHH gently caress YOU iTUNES! I don't want to revert to the LAST time I loving synced Apps with you! I only want my CURRENT set up you douchy bitch!

WHY would I even.. I DON'T EVEN.

This was the set up I first used when I first synced my iPod to this new computer. As you can see.. it's gonna wipe a considerable amount of my apps away and bring me all the way to pre-subfolders levels and like 12 pages of loving apps. Most of which I would have to re-delete anyway because they are old and lovely and I hate them like a bitch.

APPLE.. I AM DISAPPOINT.

Is there anyway to do the TRIVIAL thing of allowing my CURRENT menu scheme to OVERRIDE my "last back up" which was made several MONTHS ago?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jet Ready Go posted:

Is there anyway to do the TRIVIAL thing of allowing my CURRENT menu scheme to OVERRIDE my "last back up" which was made several MONTHS ago?
Why don't you run another backup before syncing?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I could be wrong, but wouldn't that only back up my iTunes library as is?

My problem was just that the only menu I want to exist is the one on my iPod and not the one that's saved in my iTunes library.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jet Ready Go posted:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't that only back up my iTunes library as is?
You mean the library on your computer? No, it's a device backup. Settings, mostly, and it will transfer purchases made on the device that aren't in your (computer) library.

quote:

My problem was just that the only menu I want to exist is the one on my iPod and not the one that's saved in my iTunes library.

Plug your iPod in, right-click it in the device menu in the left column and choose "Back Up". When that's done, go to the Apps page, check "Sync Apps" and before you click Apply see if the right page panes reflect your new layout.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

All the apps are already backed up/transfered on my computer so I have no fear of losing them.

I tried the method you outlined, and the minute I pressed "Sync Apps" it reverts my menu back to what it was a few months ago. :(

This is either really stupid on iTunes part, or I'm an idiot who didn't figure out how to save my current menu set up.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm seeing this a lot when searching for it, but nobody's got any great solutions.

I got an ipod touch last week, so I've done the usual stuff, including syncing my google contacts. The thing is, all my syncing is done on my home computer, and the problem I'm having is on my work computer. So now I'm getting this message on my work computer every ten minutes, which I'm guessing means it's trying to bring in all my google contacts (it's happened ever since I plugged my ipod into this computer to charge it, although it also happens when the ipod isn't plugged in). I don't want this to happen, and I'm getting tired of hitting "sync later." There is no option to kill this process that I can see. Any help?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

jackpot posted:

I'm seeing this a lot when searching for it, but nobody's got any great solutions.

I got an ipod touch last week, so I've done the usual stuff, including syncing my google contacts. The thing is, all my syncing is done on my home computer, and the problem I'm having is on my work computer. So now I'm getting this message on my work computer every ten minutes, which I'm guessing means it's trying to bring in all my google contacts (it's happened ever since I plugged my ipod into this computer to charge it, although it also happens when the ipod isn't plugged in). I don't want this to happen, and I'm getting tired of hitting "sync later." There is no option to kill this process that I can see. Any help?

Check in Address book, it's probably set to sync with google.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

echobucket posted:

Check in Address book, it's probably set to sync with google.
That's the one, thanks.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there any reason why updating a IPT2G from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1 would cause a reduction in battery life? My girlfriend got an old 2G recently and I updated it for her; now she says the battery doesn't last long at all while playing games. The only thing we can compare it to is my 3G that lasts a fair while, so I'm not sure if it's the update or the ipod itself that is the reason for the battery problems.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The WiFi stays on in sleep mode now. You have to turn it off(or better yet use the new Airplane Mode button) whenever you're not using it.

Although Push is usually what kills it the fastest. I've got 90% of my notifications turned off for Push and I can leave the WiFi on all day and it doesn't do much to the battery.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
My iPod's front camera stopped working. It wasn't working during Facetime (just showed up as transparent) and when I tried to switch to it in Camera mode it froze. Now not even the front camera works because when I got into the camera app it remembers I wanted the front camera and the shutter doesn't open.

I even restored it and still the same poo poo. Anyone know what I can do? I bought this in the US and I live in Brazil of all places so it'll be hard to get a replacement.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I work at a place with no wifi connections. Is there a way to have my ipod connected to the internet while it's plugged in and charging on my laptop while at work? I mean the computer is online...why can't it seem to use a direct connection like that?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

I work at a place with no wifi connections. Is there a way to have my ipod connected to the internet while it's plugged in and charging on my laptop while at work? I mean the computer is online...why can't it seem to use a direct connection like that?
If your laptop has a wifi card you might be able to create a wifi hotspot for your ipod to connect with. Try http://tnerd.com/2007/07/25/how-to-convert-laptop-wireless-wifi-hotspot/

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

randyest posted:

If your laptop has a wifi card you might be able to create a wifi hotspot for your ipod to connect with. Try http://tnerd.com/2007/07/25/how-to-convert-laptop-wireless-wifi-hotspot/
I'm on a Mac, and this should be the easiest thing in the world. I go into network settings, turn on "internet sharing." Done, instant wifi hotspot when I'm hooked up via ethernet at work.

So I go to my ipod's wifi settings, it sees my laptop as a network, it joins (checkmark and all), I have three bars at the top left...

And nothing. I try to open something and it says "You need a network connection to do this." I think my IT guys must be blocking this capability somehow, because it won't work with my phone, either.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This is probably going to sound super dumb, but I've never been interested in the ipod Touch.

However, I bought an iPad and I love it, and I'm wondering what exactly does the iPod touch do? I mean, what would I need one for, or what can I do with it? Is it like an iPhone, but without a phone?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Mex posted:

This is probably going to sound super dumb, but I've never been interested in the ipod Touch.

However, I bought an iPad and I love it, and I'm wondering what exactly does the iPod touch do? I mean, what would I need one for, or what can I do with it? Is it like an iPhone, but without a phone?

You just bought an XL version of it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mex posted:

Yes. It's similar to an iphone without the phone part. A little thinner and lighter than an iphone too, but with a not-quite-as-good camera and a little less screen viewing angle.

Or you could look at it as a smaller, more portable ipad. With the same CPU and a higher pixel density. And a camera that can also record HD video. And a front-facing camera for FaceTime video calls over wifi.

You could use it to run most or all of your ipad apps, and you can carry it in your pocket.

You probably don't need an ipod touch. Few people do (there are exceptions, my dad used one when he couldn't speak). But a lot of people want one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don't think the Touch has a real microphone either, or did that change with the 4th gen?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't think the Touch has a real microphone either, or did that change with the 4th gen?
It has an HD camera so I think it'd need a microphone to record the audio too, no? Or can you only make silent films :)

Apple says it has a mic http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, I forgot about the video camera. I know the spec page says it has a mic, but it said that for the 2G, too (which supported a headset mic).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This problem is REALLY getting annoying.

I'll add videos to my iPod, sync, and almost all the time the video is marked as new but starts right at the last 5 seconds. WTF?!? No big deal I guess, just play it again, but it gets really annoying and there is no logical reason for it as it has never happened before I installed 4.2 I think.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

randyest posted:

You probably don't need an ipod touch. Few people do (there are exceptions, my dad used one when he couldn't speak). But a lot of people want one.
Yeah, I've said this before but it's worth repeating: the iPod touch is a toy for adults (I find the term "toy for men" funnier but it's not too fair to the other half of the population). It is awesome and fun as hell to use but you're probably not going to be blown away by it if you already have an iPad. I'd love an iPad myself but the inability to take your music with you in your pocket puts me off.

Also the vague and confusing language that iTunes uses is indeed really annoying. "Are you sure you want to sync your photos? YOUR ENTIRE DEVICE WILL BE FORMATTED AND ROCKETED INTO SPACE IF YOU DO THIS"

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Okay what the hell.. now my iTunes can't properly display Japanese text. I didn't do any update or anything. It only affects the Apps. It can still read the Japanese in the titles of mp3's and such.

alariens421
Dec 17, 2009
edit: ignore me

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Well, poo poo. Icons for apps started turning up blank (I have absolutely no idea why), so I reinstalled a few and I lost a lot of progress. :(
Anyone know of the best way to fix this poo poo without losing stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Well, poo poo. Icons for apps started turning up blank (I have absolutely no idea why), so I reinstalled a few and I lost a lot of progress. :(
Anyone know of the best way to fix this poo poo without losing stuff?

Which device? What OS version? Jailbroken? If so, which method? What's the most recent thing you installed before the white icons showed up? What non-default repos do you have added to Cydia?

I assume you've already resprung and rebooted.

• Locked thread